Parents of "spirited" children... anyone out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just keep thinking that somewhere there should be a spot specifically for parents of spirited children. I have two girls, 5yo and 2yo. My 5yo is a classic spirited child. When I read the description in Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, I felt like she was writing about my daughter. I had no idea there were other kids out there like this. (The book was SUCH a relief!)

I know no one IRL who is the parent of a spirited child.

Some days are amazing - I love how much DD1 is a part of her world and how even the tiniest little thing or event can change her whole day. And other days it is enormously frustrating that the tiniest little thing or event can change everything. I am always looking for more ways to help her get through the rough spots, and ways to help me maintain my cool in those moments when I start wishing she was a more mellow kid. And sometimes I just want to commiserate with other parents who have BTDT - those days when I feel like I'm the parent in the group that the other parents are shaking their heads at, thinking "that mom really needs to get control over her kid."

So I'd like to propose a thread to create a community for parents of spritied children. We can swap stories, both good and bad, offer support, give each other book recommendations, etc.

Is anyone in?

(Does such a thread already exsist? If so, please tell me where to find it!)
#2 of 112 Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 AM

Im keen:-)
I have three boys, 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 5 months.

My eldest is a very bright, quick thinking, 'spirited child.
After months (years!) of denial that he was not alike many children we know, its a relief to begin to accept his nature and not fight it any more.
We initiated some bad habits of control and resistance that we are trying to break and form a more love based approach to 'discipline', if you can call it that :-)

Some days are great- hes humorous, curious (heaps of why and how questions) energetic and lots of fun to be round. Other days I wish we could go back to bed and start again. He needs constant engagement, when hes engaged hes lovely and all his good qualities come out.

How do other mamas help thier spirited children how to be loving and gentle with siblings?

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
#3 of 112 Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Hello mamas. There are threads in parenting about this so I am moving this thread there.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#4 of 112 Old 07-31-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

There must be more mamas of spirited kids out there!!

The sibling thing is tricky! My kids are close in age to your two oldest kids. They just turned 5yo and 2yo. They can fight like the best of them!!

My best days are those when I find ways for DD1 (my spirited one) to be helpful with her little sister. Just little stuff, like if we're in a non-busy parking lot I'll ask her to hold her sister's hand while they cross to the sidewalk. And I'll walk a little behind them so she doesn't feel like I'm on top of her, monitoring every move. This type of thing channels DD1's energy into something she can see is important and useful but also gives her some great positive interaction with her sister. It helps that DD2 totally looks up to her older sister and will willingly hold her hand (did I just jinx myself?)

It also helps that often DD1 can tell what DD2 is saying or what she needs more than I can. The other day DD2 was saying she wanted what sounded like "A cat! A cat!" over and over. I had no idea what it meant until DD2 translated (A "SNACK!").

When that happens I think it strengthens the bond between my girls because they see that they understand each other. I've realized that often if I'm not sure what DD2 wants, DD1 is totally in tune with her and knows (sometimes for obvious reasons, I'm not sitting in the back seat of the car so I haven't noticed that she dropped her fav toy). But if DD1 can feel like she's in tune with her sister it makes her much more likely to get along with her.

About siblings: Any advice on how to balance parental attention to siblings??? I feel like I spend SO much time trying to channel DD1's energy, or dealing with her mood swings, that DD2 gets lost in the shuffle. DD2 is very happy-go-lucky so she doesn't react badly to it. But the inbalance in attention drives me crazy!!
#5 of 112 Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm subscribing! I have a 5 year old ds and 4 year old dd. They are both active, but the dd is the truly spirited one. She needs so much stimulation and engagement to keep her happy. When she is engaged, she is just the sweetest child. It's just hard to do that all.day.long.

Thankfully my kids are 18 months apart, and play together. When my son goes to school dd is constantly asking me to play with her.
#6 of 112 Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally I think all kids are spirited at some point or another. I don't really understand the desire to label a child spirited - isn't that just being a child?

(and yes I understand "spirited" - I have two who are bipolar so they are spirited, and then some! I just don't like the term being used for regular childhood behaviour)

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#7 of 112 Old 07-31-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Personally I think all kids are spirited at some point or another. I don't really understand the desire to label a child spirited - isn't that just being a child?

(and yes I understand "spirited" - I have two who are bipolar so they are spirited, and then some! I just don't like the term being used for regular childhood behaviour)
I guess maybe I should have been more specific. When I say "spirited" I'm not talking about the regular use of the word, I'm refering to it the way it is used by in the book "Raising your Spirited Child" by Kurcinka.

I understand what you are saying - that being spirited is a normal part of childhood. I really hope that all kids are "spirited" in the normal sense of the word.

But what I am looking for a community of parents who have children who fall under Kurcinka's description of spirited. She uses it as a positive way of describing children who otherwise are often referred to in negative ways ("difficult" "strong-willed" etc). "Research shows that spirited kids are wired to be "more"—by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and uncomfortable with change than the average child."

I know no one in real life whose child(ren) are as spirited as DD1. She is extreme in all her wonderful, surprising ways. Often the "normal" advice for parenting doesn't work for her. I think parents of similar children might have helpful advice to offer each other!
#8 of 112 Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Me! I'm in this group. DD1 (who just turned 4) is off the chart spirited.... I also have DD2 who just turned a year. I love the RYSC book, it changed my life. I actually continually re-read it. I read it (for about 10-15 minutes) each night, wait a week or two after I finish it, and then start again. Each time I read it, DD1 is at a different stage of development, or something new is an issue, and I get a new way to look at her behavior. It also helps me see her improvement, bc I look at my notes on her behavior prior to trying some of the ideas, and then can see how much better it is now!
One of our hard spots was a year ago when DD2 arrived, it threw DD1 for a huge loop. Now it's much better.
DD1 goes to a montessori school during the school year, but is home with me for the summer. She loves school, and is continually "underchallenged" during the summer with me.... even though I'm working my rear end off trying to continually keep her occupied (mentally and physically). One big hit we had recently was that she has a BAD swimmer's ear infection, so no swimming right now to wear her out. And it's wayyyy toooo hot to take her to the playgrounds... so I'm having trouble wearing out her energy right now. Any ideas? She does start to randomly run laps around the house in the afternoon, but it's not enough.....
~maddymama
#9 of 112 Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Oh, has anyone read Playful Parenting? I keep downloading the sample to my Kindle, but not buying it. Is it a good "companion" to RYSC?
~maddymama
#10 of 112 Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM

I have a spirited, I never realized there was such a thing until I came on here about 2 years ago and started reading and posting about my crazy girl. I was directed to Raising Your Spirited Child after and incident at Home Depot with DD and DH when I was 5 months preggo with #2. Reading that book changed my whole thought process of why and how DD processes and acts on her emotions. I always sat and watched other kids who were at the park, farmer's market, beach etc....and they just would SIT there Here I was with a CRAZY, running as fast as she could trying to jump in the river toddler who NEVER sat still.

That book really made things better for me, fortunately I do know other kids like her, her cousin and another boy are both very similar. What we found is activities have to be rigorous, like skiing, swimming, running, jumping. She is also VERY dramatic and highly verbal.

Now for us having a second child has been pivotal in DD's development, it actually helped her immensely. Recently Dh and I both went back to work that sent her for a loop and she was horrid again for a few weeks. We've had to adjust how we parent her multiple times. Defend her from relatives who think she has ADHD or something, been judged by people thinking we give her too much sugar(she barely gets any, ever). I was once accosted in the grocery store when she was a young toddler by an elderly couple for her screeching(they thought she was mentally ill).

The last year has been much better turning 3 and being more able to articulate her needs has been wonderful and having her brother has made life better in many ways. She is now almost 4 and she has herr days, but her toddler days were like crazy-ville every day, it's not as bad or intense. That could be because I know now what to do when I see this happening or her maturity.

I feel ya mamas.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#11 of 112 Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post

My DD is above and beyond the normal "spirited". The book Raising Your Spirited Child has many definitions of spirited, I have a very extroverted spirited little girl, she DEMANDS attention nearly 24/7. It is honestly completely and totally draining at times, she sucks my energy out.

There is a normal amount of being an active child and then there are children in the spirited camp be it introverted or extroverted, their energy exceeds the "norm".

#12 of 112 Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM

My boys are both "spirited" too. They do everything twice as fast, twice as loud and twice as intensely as many of their peers. This includes feelings and emotions, concentration and play. I keep buying copies of "Raising your spirited child" to give to their teachers! LOL

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#13 of 112 Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM

I just started reading RYSC tonight and I have honestly been crying- how could she have written about by DD1 10 years before she was born! I don't know any kids like my DD1 and reading the book has been a breath of fresh air. I'm only one section in and already I want everyone who interacts with her to read it so they will stop making fun of the way she acts (in their 'trying to be funny' sort of way).

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#14 of 112 Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM

I have a very spirited 5 yo (getting ready to turn 6).

Those two books helped immensly. I always thought his personality was so accentuated to me because of my introversion/shyness, but he def. hits all the markers...identified by me and his teaching community.

Playful Parenting works WONDERS with him in almost all situations. We had some really, really rough days until I veered from mainstream parenting techniques.
Spirited children just do not conform to "typical" molding techniques!! Lol. ..at least not mine!!

Once I brought this up with his daycare teacher she had a much, much, much easier time of getting him to comply with classroom rules.

Yeah, I think most of his behavior is age just typical, but the way he goes about reconciling consequences and his thought process for deciding to "conform" is certainly attuned to being spirited.
KWIM? Maybe I'm saying it wrong....I hope you get what I mean.

Center
#15 of 112 Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM

My 2 yr old DS is intense, and I knew he was "spirited" early on as an infant. Like others have said, it's not the label that is important as much as how it directs our parenting.

When we are out my DS will happily refuse to eat or inhale 2 bites as his feet are back on the ground to run & play. It's like the world is not enough, he wants MORE! Other kids will happily sit & eat their snack while DS is squirming away asking to play.
Some call him "hyper", but really he has incredible focus.....when he wants. For example, he loves books. He will sit still for us to read books, and he loves to dissect, read along etc. For the most part he'd rather be running, jumping, being dramatic etc.
He is nothing like any kids his age, and other parents notice it - he is way more intense & verbal.

He is actually very polite, and gentle which is wonderful, but his voice volume & energy can make it seem like he's misbehaving.

When he melts....he melts BIG!!

He talks, non-stop, until he closes his eyes to sleep. He wants me to talk with him & play with him all.day.long. He is very social though, so other kid time is important. Transitions to new places/people take time, people often think he's a "clingy mama's boy" (to which I always clarify that he just needs time) while he takes his time assessing the situation before he unleashes his energy.

We do a lot of playful parenting type things. I know that he can't sit still at a library storytime (even though he loves books at home & will sit), or stay still for a craft activity - so I plan our activities differently. I allow for lot's of outdoor time, large energy activities etc. etc. I allow him the time he needs for transitions.

He luckily has a little 3 yr old friend who is very similar so it's nice for their energies to match and watch them explore the world. It also gives us moms some time to swap what works/doesn't for our little bundles of energy (as we are constantly out of our seats trying to keep them safe of course )
#16 of 112 Old 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Yup. I'm in.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#17 of 112 Old 08-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
It's like the world is not enough, he wants MORE!
Some call him "hyper", but really he has incredible focus.....when he wants.

He is nothing like any kids his age, and other parents notice it - he is way more intense & verbal.

He is actually very polite, and gentle which is wonderful, but his voice volume & energy can make it seem like he's misbehaving.

When he melts....he melts BIG!!

He talks, non-stop, until he closes his eyes to sleep. He wants me to talk with him & play with him all.day.long.

YES!! These points exactly!!

I try to keep the positives in mind. Geez, when this kid is determined to do something his is AMAZING!

Center
#18 of 112 Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM

I have not read these books, but I always find myself having to justify my son's behaviour. No, he will not sit still at school, please let him kneel on the chair, slouch over the desk, get up 15 times to sharpen his pencil. It will be less disrupting than calling him to order every other minute. And his schoolwork is above par if you let him be. He will be running through the supermarket aisles, but productively, he fetches things for me . He talks all the time, so fast he is sometimes hard to follow. He sings, makes sounds, talks to himself all the time. He is a 7yo rapper with a surreal sense of humour so his constant chatter is often very entertaining.

The saddest thing is his frustration at not getting along with most other children. He is hugely sociable, but I see that he wears other kids out with his energy and restlessness and talkativeness and, weak point, his touchiness. Paradoxically he gets along much better with adults - he is engaging and bright and conversational and really interested in building relationships. But adults are only fun for talking to, to play you need other children.

I have told him his engine runs at 1000 rpm while most other people are running at 100, it is an image that apeals to him and helps him make peace with why everyone is always telling him to calm down, be still, be quiet.

We are in the process of learning some self control. Longer stretches of sitting at his place in school or at mealtimes. Please do not answer all the questions the teacher asks, leave some for the other kids as well. Keep to your turn. Don't interrupt. That sort of thing.

What I hate is when people tell him he is "too" this or that. Too talkative. Too agitated. Too boisterous. I stress to him that he is just fine the way he is, he needs awareness and consideration to accomodate the "slower" people around him, but there is nothing in him that needs changing.

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#19 of 112 Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 AM

it didnt occur to me that my dd was spirited until i started noticing differences in other babies as she got older. i thought ALL babies needed to be held most of the time. and that ALL babies nursed as frequently as she did.. it wasnt until she was one or so did someone mention to me about her being "spirited."

from about 2 months on, she has always wanted to be the life of the party. she is SO much fun. she is very extroverted and definitely requires lots of attention. fortunately, she is pretty good at playing by herself at times. but ive given up on library story times or anything that "forces" her to be still and quiet.

right now im struggling with bedtime, her being an extremely picky eater, and toliet training. she will be 3 soon and naturally she screams 'no' every time i try to get her to sit on the potty seat. ive tried (almost) EVERYTHING and it doesnt work. i cant get her to sit there for the life of me. any suggestions from you experienced parents??

#20 of 112 Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 AM

Hello. My name is Amanda. I am a spirited mom to a spirited 3 year old son and a spirited 1 year old daughter. I am pooped!

I have started Raising Your Spirited Child but have not finished it. A few months ago, when I had the book suggested to me, I got lost in my own 'mental drama' and couldn't focus on reading it in order to help my kids. So now I have it on hold at the library and plan to read it through this time.

I am just starting to get a handle on what a daily schedule needs to look like for these two. We have to be at a playground/playdate within 2 hours of waking up or the whole day is shot. Both must spend at least 2 hours, if not 4, physically releasing their energy before the day can 'truly' start. I am (still) learning how to squeeze all of the stuff I was doing before into a 4-5 hour day. However, having spent a good deal of energy, both kids respond beautifully for the rest of the day. We can be such a team, errands go smoothly, playtime at home goes smoothly, everyone is nicer to each other, everyone gets to the potty on time, etc. All this because the excess energy is gone and they (and I) can collect our minds and focus on the task at hand.

It is so exhausting, especially since I am an introverted, spirited person. Most of my excess energy is channeled into mental and emotional, rather than physical, outlets. I also am trying to recover from adrenal fatigue and that is a slow process.

Anyway. I too have no contacts with spirited children. It is so hard to be the only one at playdates having to actually interact and run after my children. That doesn't sound good, but I think you know what I mean. Just last week, a mother was trying to commiserate with me about how energetic her kids were - these kids who could be pushed around in a stroller for an hour (exercise walk) and then go home to an hour nap. Yeah.....that's not energetic in my book. I did discover, though, that my kids cannot sit in the stroller for an hour first thing in the morning, so I'm trying to figure out how to get in some serious exercise time when I'm with the kids all day, every day. (Any suggestions?)

I have found that 1-2-3 works well for G. I started out by telling him, before counting, that if he didn't complete the task by the time I counted to 3, then I would help him finish. (This isn't punitive, just me helping him get it done, like putting his shorts on.) Because he is in a do-it-myself stage, this works wonders! He races to get the task done before 3 and just giggles the whole time. Now, I don't really have to explain anymore. I state the task I would like him to do and if he starts dawdling or gets distracted, I say "1." Make sense??

I need to stop writing now and go to bed. So nice to find others out there!

A + B = G 6/07 & E 2/09 & brokenheart.gif 11/28/10 & F 1/12 & due 8/14
#21 of 112 Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 AM

I don't have advice for the potty training We got lucky in our process and my 2 yr old was out of diapers before 2, so we used a different strategy (I can still explain it if it would be helpful?)

I'm having a tough time with the "ants in his pants" syndrome & eating. He constantly has to be moving/standing (as you all are used to I'm sure) For activities it's not such a big deal, since I just work standing/moving into it (e.g allowed to stand for arts/crafts, more dramatic activities etc.)
Like others I've given up on story time for now. DS just can't sit for it at all - he wants to stand right in front of the book and excitedly talk about what he sees!!!
Where my trouble comes in is for eating times. We have always had a "sit to eat" structure, but it's becoming increasingly more difficult for him to sit. He squirms, wants to leave, wants to stand etc. It's not that he's not hungry - he will inhale and stuff his cheeks so he can get up & try to get away. While at home, he is still willing to sit in his high chair for dinner, so that works. For whatever reason he only wants to eat snacks/lunch/breakfast at his kids table or the big table - which is fine, except for the constant movement.
Telling him if he leaves the food is gone doesn't work - he doesn't love food that much, then melts down in an hour b/c he's hungry.

It's 10 times harder when we're out b/c he is so interested in the new place that he can't sit to eat for more than 10 seconds even when he's really hungry. He spilled two lunches at a picnic the other day b/c he kept trying to get up and run. We can be eating with a group of 2 year olds for a meal, and he is the only one with this issue, so he clearly stands out! I usually resort to spending time letting him eat in his carseat before we drive away.

How does everyone else do meal times & movement needs?
Does anyone else have a child that can't eat when their out b/c they're so interested in where they are? How do you manage?
#22 of 112 Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Our second DS is a spirited child. He is described as intense many times. He is very verbal 5 to 7 word sentences already and doesn't really stop moving. He can have had no nap, been up since 6am and will be jumping on the bed at 7pm. Go, go, go, he is very exhausting for me.

I need to check the book out from the library and read it again. I think my DD may fit some, but she has down syndrome so who knows with her.

As for the eating...I'm not sure how old your DS is. Mine eats lots of small snacks during the day. He is always done before everyone else. I don't push him to stay at the table. I just let the boy graze.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#23 of 112 Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM

nak
I needed to find this thread today.
I have a highly spirited 3 yr old DS.
He is my best buddy usually as we are both extraverts living abroad and love to see new things and make friends. Neither of us like being indoors so we're always out doing something.

However....3 weeks ago I gave birth to DD and it would seem like I am now Public Enemy #1.
When he's melting down right now (multiple times per day) his anger is directed at me, 'I don't want you Mummy', finger pointing, hitting me, not listening to anything I say.
It is breaking my heart and I'm not coping well. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that we came home from overseas for me to have the baby in mid May and DH only joined us when DD was born. We are staying with the in-laws too so my parenting is really under the microscope.
DS's world has been turned upside down in so many ways

I adore DD but I'm questioning already whether we should've had a 2nd child and also whether I'll be able to nurse DD for as long as DS (26 mos).

Thanks for listening!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#24 of 112 Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfath View Post
Our second DS is a spirited child. He is described as intense many times. He is very verbal 5 to 7 word sentences already and doesn't really stop moving. He can have had no nap, been up since 6am and will be jumping on the bed at 7pm. Go, go, go, he is very exhausting for me.

I need to check the book out from the library and read it again. I think my DD may fit some, but she has down syndrome so who knows with her.
Your DS sounds like my DD, honestly the less sleep she has the more ramped up she gets. When she's exhausted she gets louder, crazier and much more apt to hurt herself. When/if she she naps(which I have to coerce her with a drive in the car) she's better.

That book does go into the fact that children with downs can be spirited also. My friend has a son who has downs and he may very well be spirited, for him it didn't appear until recently when he turned 3, but now it seems he's ramping up and being more difficult for her, maybe I should suggest the book to her.

#25 of 112 Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Oh thank you! I am so glad this post is here.

Mom to a spirited 4.5 year old, and I am struggling. No sleep, no peace, some days I want to hang it up! Lately, with no summer camp or swimming lessons and the weather close to unbearable, my oldest is melting down. Mommy needs a break!

Mom to two lovely girls, 4 and 3. SAHW/M in need of sleep.
#26 of 112 Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yay!

I am feeling the MDC love right now. I just knew you other mamas of spirited kids were out there, I just had to find you. I've been away from MDC for a couple days but plan to read through all these posts and comment. Just reading all your descriptions of your kids really keeps me sane. Since I don't know anyone IRL who has a child like this, it helps me get my head on straight to read that there ARE others out there.

I haven't even finished RYSC, but I plan to very soon. And then I want to read it again right away! Looks like I need to get me a copy of Playful Parenting too.

Thanks everyone for responding!
#27 of 112 Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, I'm here! My ds is 4 and fits the definition of spirited to a tee. He has so. much. energy. And is so very loud. Most days I really feel like . He just goes goes goes from the minute he wakes up, is rough with his sister(though she loves it most of the time!), always has to be the center of attention, NEEDS outside time everyday, and does NOT seem to know when to stop sometimes, even when I have been patient and given him extra leeway. This year has been particularly hard because not only am I adjusting to life with two kids, but this past winter was extremely cold and now this summer has been EXTREMELY hot, with temperatures around 100 degrees...both of which have meant limited outside time for ds, which is NOT GOOD for our relationship. I have yelled so much, and have done other mean things in the heat of anger.... He just makes me so MAD sometimes, I just don't know what to do! Things were definitely more intense during the winter months, we seemed to be locked into a pattern where I was angry with him for weeks on end - thankfully it is not like that now. And he is starting pre-K in less than two weeks, which will definitely help. He is very social and I know he will enjoy the time with kids, and I need the time to regroup a little bit.

I'm actually reading Playful Parenting right now and it has helped some. He really seems to respond well to playfulness, and not as well to anger or threats(I really try not to threaten, but...that's not been so easy with him!). It seems sometimes that the angrier I get, the more it eggs him on to make a game out of it, which makes me even angrier! I'm getting --a little-- better at stopping that mid-cycle, and initiating making a game of things. Anger certainly does not seem to help these situations, that's for sure.

Anyway, hope to keep chatting with you all, I've been wondering if there was a thread or a tribe like this!!

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#28 of 112 Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 AM

wish i had time to post and respond to all that has been written. However at 4:42am I am finally tired enough to go to sleep. THe things I've been dealing with from my spirited almost 6yr old have been keeping me up late with exhaustion lol.

I am sad (a little depressed) over the strain on our relationship and it is also affecting my relationship with my DH (not like oh we are heading towards divorce, just very stressful).

I am up to extravert/introvert section so Im hoping to learn more helpful tips to come and I am going to make an appt with her ped to just check out other avenues and make sure all is well.
#29 of 112 Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 AM

A book that has made dealing with my spirited child MUCH easier is
"How to talk to kids will listen and how to listen so kids will talk"
http://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Kids-.../dp/0380811960

These communication techniques have become like second nature and take all the struggle and 'fight' out of dealing with my boy, especially when there's a problem or an issue we have to work through. He's sweeter, calmer, more helpful and kinder to his brothers.

Sometimes I wonder about the labels we give our children, could thier 'spirited' behaviour, or some of it, be a result of how they are treated and their environment.

One thing is for sure, my son has unlimited energy, and will bounce off the walls alot of the time. But its the negative side of his 'spiritedness', like being stubborn, complaining, meltdowns etc that I wonder about. Its very easy to label children and not do anything about it, especially looking at the way WE deal with them. I know in our situation, adjusting the way I talk and react to my child has bought a huge change in his behaviour.
Just thinking out loud here, not pointing any fingers.

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
#30 of 112 Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 AM

mamapisces, I could have typed that post word-for-word. What a relief to read that someone else is dealing with it. This summer has been really tough, even with a pool to play in. It was too hot for the pool recently, and there as a lot of running in the house and yelling mama.

School starts shortly, and it will be a nice break for all of us.

Mom to two lovely girls, 4 and 3. SAHW/M in need of sleep.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page