Mommas with bad childhoods... does it affect the way you parent? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 64 Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
i have a hard time trusting others with care of my children. ................. the out come of my parenting ways hsing, no daycare, and i am always watching how people are around my kids i really trust no one.
i am the same way. i thought i was the only one who felt that way....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 64 Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 AM

I didn't have a terrible childhood but my mom used to work all the time and my brothers and I were on our own a lot. She was always too busy to interact with us. I know now that she had to do that to put food on the table for us but back then I would be so embarrassed that all my friends' parents were at our school functions and mine were never there. She use to forget us at school sometimes and we seemed to always be the last ones to get picked up. I try to spend as much time as I can with my DD now and when she gets older, I will try not to neglect her like I felt my mother did to us. She's a wonderful mother to us now but I felt that she didn't know how to mother when we were younger.
#63 of 64 Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghgranola View Post
i am the same way. i thought i was the only one who felt that way....
thank you for pointing out that i am not alone i need more friends that understand why i do what i do
#64 of 64 Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I would also say (agh-- this sounds cheesy) that my inner child is still very wounded, and parenting allows me to see that more clearly than I am often comfortable with.
I just realized that this is what I am dealing with now. My inner little girl has been feeling very wounded lately. I have been crying all week, which is very unlike me. I think I am grieving the loss of my childhood and my inner little girl who never got to feel carefree and happy. But yes, I'd say that my bad childhood definitely affects my parenting. While I have gone completely opposite my parents in that we are AP, I still struggle with yelling, harsh/critical reactions and sometimes, rage.

Forgive me if this was mentioned already, there is another thread like this in Finding Your Tribe...Mammas who had toxic parents.

Mama to dds, Juju(7) and Bea(4)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page