Awkward things your kids say to others - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A new neighbor came by to introduce herself yesterday, just get to know us. DS was telling her about our trip we're about to go on, then out of the blue, he says "Did you paint on your eyebrows?"

I was so stunned that I didn't recover until they had had a little conversation about it. The lady was older, and luckily very nice about it, but he even said said "Why did you do that?" and "I don't paint my eyebrows."

I apologized to the lady for his bluntness, but really, he is 3yo and this lady had white hair and dark brown eyebrows, so it was pretty obvious. To my knowledge, he's never heard of anyone drawing on their eyebrows before, so he completely picked that up on his own!

What do you say if your kid makes an awkward comment to a stranger? I guess we're lucky this is the first time it's really happened.
#2 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, my daughter likes to walk up to people and say, "You poop out of your anus, not out of your penis/vagina (depending on gender of person she is talking to)".

I usually cringe a bit and then say, "I'm pretty sure he/she knows that honey." Then I shrug at the person. I have yet to have anyone not bust up laughing so I figure it's not the end of the world.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM

DS (4) told a man he was sitting next to on a very crowded bus "I can tell that is not your real hair- it is a wig" (Bag)
#4 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM

Dd, at 3, saw an elderly woman dressed in black in the grocery. She asked me, in her loudest toddler voice, "Mom, do you see that witch?!?" I pushed the cart faster and fled to another aisle!
#5 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD told her aunt (in a snotty tone) that she shouldn't paint her cousin's (who is 3) nails b/c it's not healthy for her SIL said she'd take it under advisement. I'm glad wasn't there (I heard from the other room). I have no idea what I should have done there. I told her later that we live our way and other people live theirs...

ETA... Dh took DS1 into the large bathroom at a road stop and he was peeing while DS was there... dh is circ'd, ds is not... Ds looks up and says LOUDLY "YOUR PEEPEE LOOKS LIKE A MUSHROOM!" Dh was mortified.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#6 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM

My almost-3 yo now asks often and loudly, "mama, is that a boy or a girl?" .... it is super awkward when I can't even tell either!!
#7 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 PM

When dd2 was 2-3 we were in a grocery store. The manager had a port-wine stain covering about 1/2 his face. She said "he has a purple face!" He smiled and said "yes, ma'am! I sure do!"
I would have been mortified, but it was our regular grocery store and I had gotten friendly with him (even saw him at a Bob Dylan concert!) and he has kids so he knows how innocent those comments are.
#8 of 77 Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM

My three year old likes to chat people up about the size of their penis and/or nipples, but blessedly he's pretty unintelligible so no one understands. I'll confess I often pretend he's talking about peanuts. He's at this weird age where he has no filters, but you can't really explain that it's not a socially acceptable topic of conversation either.

My six-year-old is going to be a dermatologist, I swear. He's constantly asking people about blemishes, moles, etc. We've told him it's not polite to comment on people's personal appearance, but he just doesn't seem to get it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 77 Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 AM

When DD1 was two-and-a-half, we were using the restroom at the zoo. A young woman with vivid pink hair came in while we were at the sink washing our hands. DD looked at the woman, then turned to me and said with genuine shock "Mama, that woman has pink hair like a flamingo!" I think my face turned as pink as the woman's hair. I sensed the poor woman felt a little self-conscious, so I thought fast and replied "Yes, and it's so beautiful. Before I had you, my hair was pink. I'll show you a picture when we get home." I then complimented her color, and proceeded to rush DD outside.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#10 of 77 Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 AM

My ds1, now 14, announced to his preschool during sharing time - "my grandpas in jail!". Which he unfortunately was. Luckily I had told one of the Hellers who has a similar FIL so she could move the topic on.
#11 of 77 Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Dd, at 3, saw an elderly woman dressed in black in the grocery. She asked me, in her loudest toddler voice, "Mom, do you see that witch?!?"
I was accused of being a witch by a kid once. I was loitering in a park waiting for my swordfighting club, wearing a black cloak that was actually meant to be a Darth Vader cloak, with longer-than-waist-length hair in a state of wind-induced messiness hanging down my back, and a sword... I could see the kid's point.

DD has just started noticing things about people, but luckily if she gets really excited and says "That's a that's a that's a!" before getting out whatever she needs to say. So sometimes I can hurry her past the exciting person before she describes them. She saw a guy in a wheelchair the other day and said "That's a bike!", but that's not so bad. Well, she does tell our friends that they're stinky from time to time. Or once to our flatmate, that his "bottom smells tasty-great!". So, yeah.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#12 of 77 Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 AM

Going to the drive through one day the voice coming over the speaker sounded like a female but when we got to the window he was very obviously a man...and of course my 5 year old had to loudly ask "why does that girl look like a boy?" I pretended not to hear and hoped the cashier didn't either..I'm not good in those situations! After we drove away we had a conversation about commenting on peoples appearences.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#13 of 77 Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 AM

My 2.5yo loves babies. Her motherly instinct is somewhere there, I guess.

If she sees a child, toddler, or baby with a pacifier or bottle, she calls them a baby. Loudly. "LOOK AT THE BABY MAMA! SO CUTE!". She also does this with children (even ones around her age) with not very much hair. It's a bit embarassing when she mentions it about an older child, say, in the middle of a grocery store.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#14 of 77 Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
My 2.5yo loves babies. Her motherly instinct is somewhere there, I guess.

If she sees a child, toddler, or baby with a pacifier or bottle, she calls them a baby. Loudly. "LOOK AT THE BABY MAMA! SO CUTE!". She also does this with children (even ones around her age) with not very much hair. It's a bit embarassing when she mentions it about an older child, say, in the middle of a grocery store.
DS, who happens to be a tiny person, was constantly called a "baby" by toddlers, who were obviously younger than he was, till quite recently (he's 4 1/2 yo now.) These toddlers would just point at him and say "baby."

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#15 of 77 Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
ETA... Dh took DS1 into the large bathroom at a road stop and he was peeing while DS was there... dh is circ'd, ds is not... Ds looks up and says LOUDLY "YOUR PEEPEE LOOKS LIKE A MUSHROOM!" Dh was mortified.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
My almost-3 yo now asks often and loudly, "mama, is that a boy or a girl?" .... it is super awkward when I can't even tell either!!
yikes, I'm never sure what to say when my kids ask this!
#16 of 77 Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 PM

Some awkward Avaisms, " Look at that fat man!" loudly while pointing at someone who was neither fat nor a man.

And to my extended family, "When my dad was peeing I went into the bathroom and I saw his penis! It was so funny!"

When Dyl was little she said this gem out of the blue at Thanksgiving dinner, "I have a dog named Bernie. He has a doghouse and a red rocket."

My family must think we're obsessed with penises.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#17 of 77 Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 PM

!!! This has to be one of the best threads. I love awkward kid moments when they are not mine

All I can remember right now is DD pointing at a busty woman and saying "That lady has REALLY big boobies!" dd was somewhere between 2 and 3yrs at the time and still nursing

Decluttering 500/2010
#18 of 77 Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 AM

Background first- we did gestational surrogacy and my mom carried DD for us.

So this is something my DD said to me in the middle of a crowded store, very loudly "Mommy, did I come out of Grandma's vagina or tummy?"

I got several shocked looks!

Anna
#19 of 77 Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Some awkward Avaisms, " Look at that fat man!" loudly while pointing at someone who was neither fat nor a man.

And to my extended family, "When my dad was peeing I went into the bathroom and I saw his penis! It was so funny!"

When Dyl was little she said this gem out of the blue at Thanksgiving dinner, "I have a dog named Bernie. He has a doghouse and a red rocket."

My family must think we're obsessed with penises.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#20 of 77 Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Dh took DS1 into the large bathroom at a road stop and he was peeing while DS was there... dh is circ'd, ds is not... Ds looks up and says LOUDLY "YOUR PEEPEE LOOKS LIKE A MUSHROOM!" Dh was mortified.
OH! I'll have to warn my DP about this since he is circ'd and our son will not be. LOL! I almost peed my pants at this comment.

Lucy hasn't said anything too embarrasing in public yet but I'm just waiting for it...

She does like to stick her hand down my shirt and say "Mama's got boobs"... then she stickes them down her shirt and says "I got boobs!". She hasn't breastfeed since she was 6 months old (sad story)... but she loves boobs!

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#21 of 77 Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM

These are great!! One from my DD: we were waiting in line at the bank, and DD suddenly turned to the lady standing behind us and said to her, loudly, “You look just like the mean lady in 101 Dalmations!” OMG. I wanted to sink into the floor. The woman turned to me and said “Well, obviously I need a spa day!” I kind of mumbled “I don’t really see the resemblance,” and I was very glad when we were done banking!

"Mama, thank you for my little brother!" DD 7/05 DS 6/09
#22 of 77 Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM

Dd1 regularly yells out Santa Claus whenever she sees a man with a long white beard. Which oddly enough, happeds more frequently than one would think. She also enjoys talking about gentials in the locker room at the pool.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#23 of 77 Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
While DS was PLing, we were in line at the bank behind an apparently grumpy man. DS walked right up behind him and pointed at his shorts and said, "He wearing big boy underwear!" Not that he could see them, but he was assuming....

This week were in line at Target, and he looked at the lady behind us and said, "She have no hair!" I turned around and the lady had a full head of hair, so I told him, "Of course she does!" and then I realized that it was too perfect and was likely a wig.... How did he know that??
#24 of 77 Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My DS hasn't really said anything awkward to anyone, but he (loudly) asks me questions about people sometimes. He once pointed at a bald man and asked why he didn't have any hair, and he asked why our carpet installer had such dark skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
My six-year-old is going to be a dermatologist, I swear. He's constantly asking people about blemishes, moles, etc.
Ha, for some reason the way this is phrased I'm picturing a little kid going up to someone all seriously and saying, "Hmm, have you had that checked out? The borders are asymmetrical -- you might want to get it looked at."

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#25 of 77 Old 08-12-2010, 06:41 PM

At our barn, during a show, in the office(like a common area) were about 15 people, my trainer included. I'm in the bathroom peeing w/ DS - which has very thin walls. He suddenly focuses on me as I'm wiping and he says "Wow Mommy your butt is hairy! You need to shave your butt!!" Obviously referring to the bikini area -but I heard the whole room outside go silent followed by laughter from a clique of teenage girls. Mortified.
#26 of 77 Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 PM

OMG. I had one of these another day. DD is 4 and her best friend's family speaks another language, also very heavy accented English. I prefer to email or text the mom because I can NEVER understand her and have to ask her to repeat things numerous times.

Yesterday, DD says to friend's mom, "My mom can't understand anything you're saying when you speak."

#27 of 77 Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM

DD's another one who calls all small children, including ones several years older than her, 'babies.' "Look at that cute baby," she'll say to me, and the four year old she's pointing at will look at us with horror. Usually it's the mothers who seem sort of offended, though. There have been several cases where the other mother will stress that DD is the baby, comparatively, I guess, or will tell DD that she's wrong.

Earlier this week, DD and I were walking down the sidewalk near our house when a neighbor (a few houses down) drove up the street in his older car, which was quite noisy/rattling as he parked it just ahead of us. DD pointed at the car and screamed, "Noisy car, messy car, ew!" and the guy heard her. Luckily he was friendly/amused about it and said he hadn't been scolded so thoroughly since his own daughter was small...but still. I sort of hurried us down to the end of the street.

Mama to DD : 09/08
#28 of 77 Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Ds once asked our waiter if he had a penis.

Today, I had to buy a bra. With both kids. In a store that only had curtains at the front of the changing stall. Besides both of them continually opening the curtain and nearly causing me to flash the clerk, my son was just full of innaproriate comments.

"Are those your boobies, Mama?"
"You have nice, big boobies. They're perfect."
"Is that your bra now? It's perfect."
"Boobies are nice and warm."
"Your other bra is old and icky."

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#29 of 77 Old 08-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Every time they hear a baby cry in public, my dds say 'that baby needs to nurse'. I love it! It makes folks nervous but you know what. . . . that baby needs to nurse. Sometimes they will say 'my mom has extra nurse milk if you need some' and other helpful such. They make other awkward comments, but I try to stay and blush and tell the truth. Yes he has a penis- half the world has a penis. 3 billion penises in the world- that one's not a big deal!
#30 of 77 Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post
At our barn, during a show, in the office(like a common area) were about 15 people, my trainer included. I'm in the bathroom peeing w/ DS - which has very thin walls. He suddenly focuses on me as I'm wiping and he says "Wow Mommy your butt is hairy! You need to shave your butt!!" Obviously referring to the bikini area -but I heard the whole room outside go silent followed by laughter from a clique of teenage girls. Mortified.
Blushing for you! I can totally picture DD1 doing this to me.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page