I witnessed a mom purposely slam into her child with a shopping cart. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<<<First, as was already said, it is like trying to educate someone about road safety when they've just been hit by a bus. They are busy dealing with something else.

Second, I understand from my schooling in education, people can't learn when their brains are being impacted by a chemical reaction to fear, humilitation, shame, etc. This is NOT a "teachable moment.">>>

This. Wow. I'm really laughing at the idea of pretending to be a doctor. Number one, if you did this to me - I'd probably spot you out. I'm married to a doctor. I'd ask you questions you probably wouldn't be able to answer on the fly and then I'd possibly try to find out who you were so I could report you. It is illegal in my state to impersonate professionals with legal licenses.

And then I'd get another giggle at you because I've met real pediatricians who thought breastmilk was bad for toddlers since it wasn't sterile and that co-sleeping would smother my baby and that if it didn't smother the baby, the child would be far too "attached" to us. We have a pediatrician we do love but I take her advice with a grain of salt. Heck, I take EVERYONE'S advice with a grain of salt.

That's not a teachable moment since you have no control on the outcome like others have said. You have no idea if you actually made things worse for all the people you've "intervened" with.

I think the best response that has ever worked for me was when I was grocery shopping with my kids. They were like 3 and 2. And they were being relatively "good" (as good as tired toddlers cane be). There was another mom shopping opposite to me. (She was going down the aisles backwards - why do people do that!? ) And we met each other in every aisle. Her child was starting to act up halfway through. And I watched her get more and more peeved.

We checked out together. Our cars were close to each other and then her kid did that tantrum-y thing where she refused to bend to get into the carseat. That used to drive me bonkers!!!

So I kinda yelled over to her, "Hey wanna meet me at Chili's for a margarita!?!" And she laughed. She stopped and really laughed. After that, I said, "You ok? You going to make it?" And she smiled and replied that she had her balance back. She made some comment about how do you do it with twins (My son was big. My DD was small.) And we laughed together about how hard it was and how we didn't get paid enough. I made a few more cracks about how when I'm 80, I'm going over to my kids' houses for the holdiays and am going to curse like a sailor and crap my pants so they have to fix it.

Then we got in our cars and drove away. I live in a small town so I've seen her since and her daughter and now her son seem very happy and attached to her.

Anyone who hasn't had a bad day like that with their kids is in my opinion, either completely delusional, has a mental disorder like extreme contact avoidance, or has birthed pod children from the planet Zargon.

I don't know what I would have done with the shopping cart lady. I'm sure I'd have gone for humor first since that's my weapon of choice. It depends upon how dramatic the kid was, how hard the hit was, how the mom looked immediately after, etc. etc.

But I wouldn't have lied about a career I don't have.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#62 of 65 Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Security was probably there to kicked the mother and child out if the child was going to damage anything else.
#63 of 65 Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Anyone who hasn't had a bad day like that with their kids is in my opinion, either completely delusional, has a mental disorder like extreme contact avoidance, or has birthed pod children from the planet Zargon.

I don't know what I would have done with the shopping cart lady. I'm sure I'd have gone for humor first since that's my weapon of choice. It depends upon how dramatic the kid was, how hard the hit was, how the mom looked immediately after, etc. etc.

But I wouldn't have lied about a career I don't have.
LOL - birthed pod children

I agree - i go for humor as my weapon of choice. I've bumped into many a moms either having a bad day, of giving me a chuckle to survive mine. It really does wonders when you get the reaffirmation that "you are not alone, we all have days like this" from fellow moms.

And having an overly dramatic child myself, who has pulled some of the very same stuff mentioned - i would be upset and bothered if questioned and lied to, in public.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#64 of 65 Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
like other posters have said, if I saw a possible chance to connect with the mom pre-shopping cart incident I would have done so. Parenting can be SO isolating. I would have tried to make eye contact and said something like "it looks like you are having the kind of day I had yesterday. I'm surprised my daughter and I both survived!" and tried to break the tension and left her feeling (hopefully) marginally less alone and overwhelmed.
#65 of 65 Old 08-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
LOL - birthed pod children
good catch!

Sorry - OT, but that was funny.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page