Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
You don't need a database to know...
I asked him and he said, "A lot. I couldn't give you an exact figure." YEAH. I think he has over a hundred.

I see you are in Canada, so perhaps you have not had the exquisite joy of meeting one of these types of Americans. I never thought I'd sit in a house with that many guns, I really didn't. C'est la vie!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
I asked him and he said, "A lot. I couldn't give you an exact figure." YEAH. I think he has over a hundred.

I see you are in Canada, so perhaps you have not had the exquisite joy of meeting one of these types of Americans. I never thought I'd sit in a house with that many guns, I really didn't. C'est la vie!
As another Canadian, this discussion has been truly fascinating to me. Personally the only people I know who own guns are those who use them for hunting. Mostly they are older people (uncle, grandfather) but there are some in my age range in my hometown (very small rural community) that hunt. I don't know anyone here in the city who owns a gun.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobunny View Post
As another Canadian, this discussion has been truly fascinating to me. Personally the only people I know who own guns are those who use them for hunting. Mostly they are older people (uncle, grandfather) but there are some in my age range in my hometown (very small rural community) that hunt. I don't know anyone here in the city who owns a gun.
There are some "crazy" Americans who stockpile, but they are few and far between (and unlikely to tell you about it). Others like to collect- it's like an investment because the price of a gun almost never goes down (provided it's taken care of), and ammo has been going up precipitously. Antique guns, however, will also increase in value.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM

My husband is a police officer and we have a gun in the house (service weapon). Properly stored. I see no issue with my son wanting to learn how to shoot when he is older. Guns are not evil in our home - but proper use, safety, and respect for the law is.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:

I know people who own that many guns, but they still know exactly how many, and what types, they own. Also American, here.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM

I'm Canadian and I also work in a police department - I do firearms registration queries on a daily basis. A lot of Canadians, including in the city, have {registered} guns in their home. A lot more than the average Canadian would think. Unless someone is a very close friend or relative, they probably don't say.

It is very foolish to brag about your "stash" of guns (legal or not, for hunting or self-defense, doesn't matter) - that is how some home robberies occur - so very few people talk about it.

Again, safety, safety, safety. Our son would likely never even find our gun safe as it is hidden - and even if he did - he would need both a key and the combination code (which even I do not know), plus be able to then go to the other hidden safe and find the magazines!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
I know people who own that many guns, but they still know exactly how many, and what types, they own. Also American, here.
Oh, yay, that fun old Internet argument.

I know someone who does X.
Well I know LOTS of people who don't!
Okay, well my friend still does X.
Well that's stupid.
He still does it.
I don't know ANYBODY who does X.
My point is, it happens.
Are you sure? I don't believe you because that's not within my realm of experience.
Well, that's good for you, then.
No, really, lots of people don't X.
Good for them. I know someone who does.
Well that's not common.
It was just an example.
Well it's a stupid example, because not EVERYBODY does it.
Um...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Oh, yay, that fun old Internet argument.

I know someone who does X.
Well I know LOTS of people who don't!
Okay, well my friend still does X.
Well that's stupid.
He still does it.
I don't know ANYBODY who does X.
My point is, it happens.
Are you sure? I don't believe you because that's not within my realm of experience.
Well, that's good for you, then.
No, really, lots of people don't X.
Good for them. I know someone who does.
Well that's not common.
It was just an example.
Well it's a stupid example, because not EVERYBODY does it.
Um...
Oh hell, I wasn't saying that you were lying or using a stupid example. I was just pointing out that it there are definitely Americans out there that are not like your BIL at all. I knew I should've put a disclaimer on my post to this effect...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Having said that...I do 100% believe that if there are going to be real guns where the kids are, it's way way way safer to expose them to the guns and teach them proper gun safety than it is to try to pretend the guns don't exist. To me, it's like water safety...it's safer to teach a child to swim than to never bring the child around water.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Guns for us are not toys, any more than a chainsaw or a power saw is a toy. They're extremely useful tools that, used unsafely, can kill human beings. So I don't think toy guns that aren't brightly colored neon water guns will ever be welcome in our home. I don't want to confuse our children and I don't want them to associate guns with careless play. Not that shooting isn't a fun sport! But like many other sports, it must be done with the proper equipment and only after taking the proper precautions.

Not teaching your children the basic rules of gun safety just because you yourself do not own guns, seems to me to be as shortsighted as not teaching them to swim just because you don't own a pool or go to the beach. Guns are everywhere and knowing to

Stop! Don't Touch! Leave the Area! Tell an Adult!

could literally save a child's life.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
I don't believe that a woman lying raped and strangled to death with her own pantyhose is morally superior to one who is explaining to the police why that same rapist is lying gunshot on her bedroom floor.

Again, the right to defend oneself from harm is sacred to my family, and to most others I know who are firearms owners. We do not believe that an attacker has more right to safety and security than his intended victim. You are welcome to disagree, and I assure you that if it makes you so uncomfortable, we will never use our guns to defend you and your family.
As the victim of a 3-day rape, I would have loved to have had a chance to shoot the cracked-up a$$hole who raped me and made me lose my baby (6 mos pg). Chances are very high that if I'd been carrying I would have never been hurt.

This reminds me of an email I received recently. A neighbor squabble that ended in one neighbor posting a sign that read, "My next door neighbor wants to ban all guns. Their house in NOT ARMED. Out of respect for their opinions I promise not to use my guns to protect them!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaoirseC View Post
There are some "crazy" Americans who stockpile, but they are few and far between (and unlikely to tell you about it). Others like to collect- it's like an investment because the price of a gun almost never goes down (provided it's taken care of), and ammo has been going up precipitously. Antique guns, however, will also increase in value.
My FIL is one of those "crazy" Americans who stockpile. (Um, that could have been more respectfully worded, btw.) He has hundreds. He is an avid gun collector. When he dies, all of his guns will be split between my dh and his sister. If they sold all of them, plus all his ammo, we would be seriously well-off financially. If the SHTF, I sure as heck know where our family would go!

We have 8 guns in our home. We live in the country, and I used one to protect my livestock just last week. My dh saved one of our birds from IN THE MOUTH of a predator by shooting the predator. Our livestock feeds our family and I would never ever apologize for putting our family's needs before someone else's fears. My oldest dd uses a .22 rifle to dispatch our rabbits, about every 3 months when it's butcher day. My dh uses a 9 mm to dispatch a goat or a pig for butchering. My dh just recently got a working replica of a black powder pistol (think Yosemite Sam). My 2 middle children received their first .22 rifle from their Grandpa, and had a blast (pun intended) shooting holes in old freezers so that I could use them for growing our vegetables. We have a very safe place to shoot and teach our kids from a very young age about gun safety. Just yesterday my 3 yo said, "Mommy, I can never ever touch a gun w/out you or daddy helping me." She was watching her dad ready his shotgun because we're having a horrible problem w/coyotes, and the dogs were going nuts.

I'm not arguing anyone's right to decide for themselves what is best for their family. The main reason we have guns is not to protect our family, but to protect our livestock. Many a time I've been very glad to be able to do so.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
Oh hell, I wasn't saying that you were lying or using a stupid example. I was just pointing out that it there are definitely Americans out there that are not like your BIL at all. I knew I should've put a disclaimer on my post to this effect...
Then why even quote my post?

I guess I felt that somehow you were posting a counter-point... and I don't believe the fact that different people live differently is a counter-point to "such and such exists, and it's scary".

I mean... we don't even OWN a gun and we're Americans. LOL. So, retroactive disclaimer has been registered and I take it back.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
My FIL is one of those "crazy" Americans who stockpile. (Um, that could have been more respectfully worded, btw.)
Sorry, didn't mean to offend at all. I don't actually consider "those" Americans to be crazy (I know several who fit into this category but appear totally sane to me and happen to be my friends), but I guess I was just recognizing that I know they come off that way. Personally, "stockpiling" guns, ammo, and food seems like a perfectly rational thing to do.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaoirseC View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to offend at all. I don't actually consider "those" Americans to be crazy (I know several who fit into this category but appear totally sane to me and happen to be my friends), but I guess I was just recognizing that I know they come off that way. Personally, "stockpiling" guns, ammo, and food seems like a perfectly rational thing to do.
No problem. And actually, my dh's side of the family probably could be called crazy, rofl. His mom was certifiable, but his dad really isn't. He is a jailer where he lives, and lemme tell ya, NO ONE would dare go to his house unannounced. And he is bigger on gun safety than anyone I've ever known. We are about to take a long vacation to his place, and we'll be doing ALOT of shooting. Very good opportunity for our kids to learn even more about gun safety.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
No problem. And actually, my dh's side of the family probably could be called crazy, rofl. His mom was certifiable, but his dad really isn't. He is a jailer where he lives, and lemme tell ya, NO ONE would dare go to his house unannounced. And he is bigger on gun safety than anyone I've ever known. We are about to take a long vacation to his place, and we'll be doing ALOT of shooting. Very good opportunity for our kids to learn even more about gun safety.
Most of my Mom's side of the family is "crazy" (some certifiable). My dad's side is the complete opposite (well, crazy in a very different way).

User Tag List