Suddenly clumsy child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 (32 months) has always been very physically active - running, jumping, climbing etc. She's had the usual sort of bumps and bruises, but I'm a bit concerned about this new 'behaviour'.

Yesterday, for the first time in her life she fell down the stairs - a full flight of stairs, onto a hard floor and crashing into a door at the bottom. Scared the life out of me. She cried a bit, but I couldn't see any signs of physical harm to her, other than a couple of carpet burns on her back. No signs of concussion and she seemed much as usual for the rest of the day - I kept a close eye on her.

I would have chalked it up to a once-off accident, but today she's been particularly clumsy, and a bit lethargic. She fell down the stairs again - just a few steps this time, thank goodness, and is bumping into things more than usual.

Could it be an ear infection? She doesn't have a fever though... I can't think of anything else it could be, but feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any ideas from you experienced mamas?

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Growth spurts do this to my normally very sure-footed kids every time; they're clumsy until they get used to their suddenly-bigger bodies.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Could it be a growth spurt? I've noticed that when kids (especially those with tall parents) have growth spurts, they tend to be a bit clumsy, uncoordinated for a while, maybe they're just getting used to different body dimensions...
Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 PM

I would just keep an eye on it. It likely falls in the normal range, but a little bit of time will tell you either way (does it improve or worsen?).

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My kids get clumsy when tired or when they've had a growth spurt. I get lightheaded and fall down when I'm dehydrated, hungry, sleep deprived, or haven't had enough iron.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has she recently gone off naps? Does it happen later in the day? Tired would be my first thought followed by ear infection. My ds never had a huge growth spurt, more of a slow and steady growth pattern, so that possibility wouldn't have occurred to me...

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 09-18-2010, 10:34 PM

You maybe should have her eyes checked. Though I notice mine get clumsy when they've had a growth spurt, too.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Mine are always clumsy when they're tired. Shockingly so!

It's complicated.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 AM

You don't need a fever to have an ear infection. DD had many ear infections and one sign was that her balance was off. DH would say she's walking like a drunken sailor again, better get her ears checked. And usually she did have an infection. Something there were no other signs.

I would absolutely take her to be checked. Falling down the stairs two days in a row and being lethargic would frighten me.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:33 AM

Along with others, I'd say growth spurt or tired (or both!)

Mama to three

User Tag List