They won't put shoes that fit on him!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have bunions
I have a bunion and I was amazed to learn that they have actually not been scientifically proven to be correlated with any particular shoe type, as they occur among people that don't even wear shoes.

OP, I dunno. I think at this point I'd be so thrilled they did something about it I wouldn't want to push it. I would just be like, "He seems to LOVE his new shoes!"

Re: Tripping: he's probably re-learning how to walk, poor little guy.

Quote:
Oh, and since it's fall go get him a pair of boots that fit. For all those puddles at the zoo, y'know? "Oh, we'd better take along his boots too!" if he isn't wearing them when you go to take him to gym/zoo.
I agree with this. Just buy him the next size up boots and say, "Well, we were there and the shoe store guy agreed to size all the kids, so I thought, what the hey. I thought they were bigger than the shoes he has, but sure enough, he showed me the numbers. My how their feet grow! What are you feeding this boy? LOL!"

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
another option...buy an identical pair a size up.....
This is exactly what I would do! Buy the exact same thing, a size up, and never say a word. If he's just been wearing them for a day or two they won't likely notice they are a touch bigger.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM

oh my those shoes are hideous, lol. Weren't Jordans popular about 15 years ago or so...when my big brother was in high school? lol. The teens (and kids...and me) around here are into the converse all stars. much cuter (and an older flashback, lol). Sorry, that was all totally OT.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

Old 09-30-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabohl View Post
oh my those shoes are hideous, lol. Weren't Jordans popular about 15 years ago or so...when my big brother was in high school? lol. The teens (and kids...and me) around here are into the converse all stars. much cuter (and an older flashback, lol). Sorry, that was all totally OT.
DH & I LOVE our converse! We were of the "punk/grunge/skater-ish" group in high school, and those went along with it. Unfortunately, I have really wide feet so they don't work for me DH is overweight and says his feet look too fat and frumpy in them. So I guess Jordans are better for him.

I think they're ugly too

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and back to the topic ...

I was able to tell DNs father how adorable his shoes were and yadda yadda and that "hopefully he doesn't outgrow them too soon, but if he does there are plenty of other cute Jordans in xyz store etc etc".

I'm happy winter is coming up, because I don't see them getting him boots. I know that will be on me, likely. He was walking last winter but he was wearing the same shoes that were extremely small- they just didn't let him walk in the snow.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a little off topic note....the converse one stars at target are just as cute as the all star chucks but cheaper and WIDER!! And they are just as high quality as well. Neither my dd or I can wear the all stars but the ones at Target fit us fine (as a matter of fact I am on my way to get her pair for her birthday...shhhhh! Don't tell her. and I will make sure they are the right size )

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
and I will make sure they are the right size )

thanks for the heads up about the one stars though!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
You could say something to the effect (to his mom) of "Wow good thing you moved up when you did. Those shoes are so cute and they just barely fit. it would have been a shame if you missed the window all together on those. Their feet grow so fast at this age. dd zipped through 4 sizes in about a year. I was beginning to worry she would never slow down! " you aren't telling her they are too small but you are giving her a heads up that his feet grow fast and these are not going to last long.

another option...buy an identical pair a size up.....

I am feel old knowing that air jordans are making a comeback.
ITA w/ lilyka and EdnaMarie!

I'm glad this seems to be working out.

Happy and in love with my family!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 PM

I haven't read all the replies but....

I would trace his foot on a piece of paper and then trace the shoe next to that to compare. You can show this to the grandmother because it will be VERY obvious the difference between the two.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM

I am very happy to hear that they put some bigger shoes on him. However I don't know anyone who buys their kids Jordans that are snug at the tiem of purchase. Jordans are expensive. when I buy them, I get them as big as I can get away so they will last a long time.

That being said, my ds has three pairs of jordans and a pair of timberlands (three out of the four were hand me downs, but still--they are nice shoes). If I dress him to go out and he is wearing his jordans THAT FIT or are close to fitting, and someone thinks the sole is too thick for him and changes him into some kmart sneakers, we are going to have big, big problems. the kmart sneakers are for backyard romping. when he goes out, the nice clothes/shoes come out --- for a reason. I would find it incredibly rude if someone were to take his nice clothes or sheos off and dress him in cheap crap just because they thought it was more comfortable. ooooh, I would be mad.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
I am very happy to hear that they put some bigger shoes on him. However I don't know anyone who buys their kids Jordans that are snug at the tiem of purchase. Jordans are expensive. when I buy them, I get them as big as I can get away so they will last a long time.

That being said, my ds has three pairs of jordans and a pair of timberlands (three out of the four were hand me downs, but still--they are nice shoes). If I dress him to go out and he is wearing his jordans THAT FIT or are close to fitting, and someone thinks the sole is too thick for him and changes him into some kmart sneakers, we are going to have big, big problems. the kmart sneakers are for backyard romping. when he goes out, the nice clothes/shoes come out --- for a reason. I would find it incredibly rude if someone were to take his nice clothes or sheos off and dress him in cheap crap just because they thought it was more comfortable. ooooh, I would be mad.
I actually did have to change DN out of his clothes yesterday. He was in a velour air jordans sweatsuit two sizes too big- we were going to gymnastics and he was tripping on himself before we got there- no one had extra clothes for him at the house so I HAD to buy something that fit him. The poor thing couldn't walk, let alone climb the stuff at gymnastics.

I am happy to report that I have not again seen the old way too small shoes

Oh and I don't think they try the shoes on him when they buy them- his older 13yo sister goes to the mall (practically lives there ) and buys him matching pairs- I think she just estimates the size.. but the most recent ones she bought him (which he has been wearing daily) are still too small for him.. but not as small as the old ones.

I don't know if I should say something about these shoes or just leave it alone. His toes are right up against the front of the shoe (touching it).

Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Ok this is a long shot but...perhaps you could mention his proper size to his sister. Maybe for Christmas give her a gift certificate with enough to buy her and her little brother a matching pair (thats actually pretty sweet that she buys her little brother matching shoes...but holy crap. where is a 13 year old getting this kind of money?)

And I am right there with you at being annoyed about fashion over function. People used to bring their infants and toddlers to my day care dressed to the nines. Baby would get stripped down to sleepers or onsies and toddlers would get leggings and a t shirt. I had better things to do than mind their designer clothes and the hazards they presented (more often than not either way over sized or undersized). and i didn't have AC. Why on earth would you put your child in head to toe denim in that environment? I would change them back when their parents got there. If I didn't make it I would say a diaper leaked (and the worst offender also kept her dd in diapers that were too small by 2 sizes so not an unlikely story. )

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:

And I am right there with you at being annoyed about fashion over function. People used to bring their infants and toddlers to my day care dressed to the nines. Baby would get stripped down to sleepers or onsies and toddlers would get leggings and a t shirt. I had better things to do than mind their designer clothes and the hazards they presented (more often than not either way over sized or undersized). and i didn't have AC. Why on earth would you put your child in head to toe denim in that environment? I would change them back when their parents got there. If I didn't make it I would say a diaper leaked (and the worst offender also kept her dd in diapers that were too small by 2 sizes so not an unlikely story. )
So you lied to the parents? Why didn't you just tell them, "it gets so hot in here, would you mind bringing a change of playclothes for the kids, and I'll make sure they are looking cute again when you pick them up later?"

I'm one of those parents who dresses my kids cute. I think it may be a cultural thing, but where I grew up people kind of judged you based on your kids. So if you took your kid out in a sleeper or onesie (which, incidentally, why keep a baby in a SLEEPER all day when it is for SLEEPING?) it was like, oh she can't or won't even take decent care of her kid. So even if the kid only has one nice outift, you put that outfit on her and do her hair nice. Like a good mom. Might be silly to you but that is how lots of folks roll.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Tell your niece to trace his foot on a piece of cardboard or sturdy paper then cut it out and take it shopping with her.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I'm one of those parents who dresses my kids cute. I think it may be a cultural thing, but where I grew up people kind of judged you based on your kids. So if you took your kid out in a sleeper or onesie (which, incidentally, why keep a baby in a SLEEPER all day when it is for SLEEPING?) it was like, oh she can't or won't even take decent care of her kid. So even if the kid only has one nice outift, you put that outfit on her and do her hair nice. Like a good mom. Might be silly to you but that is how lots of folks roll.
You sound like my Grandma! LOL I think there are socioeconomic issues at play (for my family anyway). My family growing up was on the really low end of middle class, and I think a lot of the dressing the kids up was about demonstrating social status. When my mom found out I didn't take my son to the pediatrician in his best little suit (that she bought), she was horrified because she thought it would mean we'd get worse treatment.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
You sound like my Grandma! LOL I think there are socioeconomic issues at play (for my family anyway). My family growing up was on the really low end of middle class, and I think a lot of the dressing the kids up was about demonstrating social status. When my mom found out I didn't take my son to the pediatrician in his best little suit (that she bought), she was horrified because she thought it would mean we'd get worse treatment.
lol...reminds me of my ds' first well baby check. He was like three days old and it was his first outing. I had him dressed in jeans, a long sleeved tee with matching orange and white nike sneakers and a matching hat (not a baby hat, but a fitted--like a baseball cap). I jsut wanted to show him off in all his cuteness....of course first thing they told me when we got there was to strip him naked and keep him that way, wrapped in a blanket so he could be weighed/examined. I was so disappointed, I wanted to show off his outift! It had never dawned on my that the doc only sees the baby while he's naked....

Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
lol...reminds me of my ds' first well baby check. He was like three days old and it was his first outing. I had him dressed in jeans, a long sleeved tee with matching orange and white nike sneakers and a matching hat (not a baby hat, but a fitted--like a baseball cap). I jsut wanted to show him off in all his cuteness....of course first thing they told me when we got there was to strip him naked and keep him that way, wrapped in a blanket so he could be weighed/examined. I was so disappointed, I wanted to show off his outift! It had never dawned on my that the doc only sees the baby while he's naked....
Seriously? You put jeans and sneakers on a three day old baby? That doesn't sound very comfortable for the baby.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
(which, incidentally, why keep a baby in a SLEEPER all day when it is for SLEEPING?)
I did because it was cozy and comfortable for my baby, and easy for me. I didn't like him in uncomfortable clothes, makes for uncomfortable cuddling.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
(which, incidentally, why keep a baby in a SLEEPER all day when it is for SLEEPING?)
babies spend most of their time sleeping anyways (except the ones who simply won't sleep of course). And if they're not sleeping they usually need their diaper changed, so I always found "cute" outfits more trouble than they were worth. Besides, babies don't really need accessories to be cute, they've got that covered.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 PM

I had a couple of babies in my house. I had better things to do than mess with their clothes. Think of it as a uniform. The offending mom was ridiculous about lots of things and knew how hot it was in my house. She complained and asked why I didn't turn the air on. Um maybe it was that the $75 a week she was paying me just didn't really cover the cost of running it. My response was you get used to if you dress appropriately.... The clothes were a status thing for her. not for me. My kids lived in sleepers and onsies their first year. Warm, cute, easy. Her kids diaper usually leaked anyway (because she kept her in ones too small) so if it had stayed on it probably would have had poop on it eventually. Like I said, her kid wasn't the only one and I had better things to do than fuss over keeping her outfit perfect. Easier just to take it off and put it on right before her mom got there.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Seriously? You put jeans and sneakers on a three day old baby? That doesn't sound very comfortable for the baby.
I always roll my eyes when I see a tiny newborn baby in anything but a onsie/sleeper. I know that jeans and sneakers cannot be comfortable for a little tiny one. Its about the parents showing off not the comfort of the babies.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
So you lied to the parents? Why didn't you just tell them, "it gets so hot in here, would you mind bringing a change of playclothes for the kids, and I'll make sure they are looking cute again when you pick them up later?"

If there's a cutely-dressed-kid contest, I'd probably win it. But I can't imagine putting other people's opinions about my children's clothing over my own child's comfort. I can't even fathom putting a 3 day old in jeans! I don't even think they're comfortable for my 3 year old. She wears leggings or lightweight corduroys or flannel or fleece pants, mostly.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 10-10-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle View Post
I always roll my eyes when I see a tiny newborn baby in anything but a onsie/sleeper. I know that jeans and sneakers cannot be comfortable for a little tiny one. Its about the parents showing off not the comfort of the babies.
My four year old had fits every time I ever tried to put jeans on him as an infant (received some as gifts) and still tells me that they are uncomfortable. I have to say that I agree with him.

His preschool actually sent out a dress code this year which stated that they believed the ideal clothing for preschoolers was sweatsuits (for colder weather) or t-shirts and "soft" shorts (for warmer weather), and asked that parents please stop sending kids in uncomfortable/unplayable clothing.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 AM

My kid and baby wear jeans & sneakers almost every day & I have not heard any complaints in 2+ years. I also agree that sleepers are pajamas, & I don't take my kids out of the house in pajamas. I don't "do" sweatclothes, either, for myself or the kids. Or velour tracksuits, swishy track pants, leggings, blech. It really is no trouble to dress the kids every day. All of dd1's clothes are quite nice & I am okay w/ her getting them dirty. We do dress our v young babies in onesies most of the time & that is b/c dh and I find it difficult to put pants on newborns. They still wear nice new onesies w/ long socks, nice dresses, etc.

OP, great to hear that they are finally putting him in shoes that fit. I wouldn't worry too much about the fit of the current shoes b/c they do still fit. Since his sister is buying so many of the shoes for him, I would def tell her his correct size. If his shoes get too small again, I agree w/ others who have said to take a hard line and refuse to take him out in the small shoes. If this means that you keep a pair of shoes for him at your house, so be it.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Old 10-10-2010, 02:35 AM

DD always gets a choice of clothes and picks jeans about half the time.

That said, she sweats like a faucet when she sleeps so I just assume that a baby in a sleeper was put in a fresh one in the morning/after their nap.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 AM

There are one piece outfits for newborns and small babies that are not pajamas.

User Tag List