Do you let dc play with sick kids? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
depends on how sick they are and what they are sick with. but yeah. I live in the midwest. Everyone is aways sick with something.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with a lot of the other posters. If a kid is really sick, they shouldn't be out and about anyway, they should be at home recovering. But a little cold isn't a big deal.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#33 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 AM

My son has allergies and gets sinus infections also. There are/were times if we let a runny nose get or slight cough stop us he would have played for months.

If there is no fever, child isn't lethargic then I chill out and let them have fun.
#34 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Most of the time no. Even a simple cold in another child turns into croup or pneumonia with DD2 who has serious asthma. I don't keep us in a bubble and I know she is going to get sick, which she is always. I make sure our playmates know that if we are having a playdate, they need to let me know if there child is sick, no matter if it is just a cold. That way I have the ability to say no and I always let people know as well. I can't control the kid coughing at the store but someone coming over to my house, you had better tell me or else you risk me asking you to leave.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#35 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 AM

If they play every day anyway, they are generally contagious before symptoms show so there is nothing to be gained by keeping them apart when sick. But, I cannot really see why a sick child should be out and about playing instead of at home. I guess maybe you mean if it is just a cold or something?

Logically, if they play daily, there is no point to separating them when sick. But I personally would not want my child around someone else who is sneezing a bunch or hacking or vomiting, etc.
#36 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 AM

But I definitely agree with others that a runny nose alone would not bother me. My oldest in particular always had horrid allergies so he never would have played with anyone if we let that stop us.
#37 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 AM
ssh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
If they are kids we see all the time anyway, I figure we were likely exposed before the friends became symptomatic. So as long as the kid is well enough to be out & about (i.e. not feverish or weak or hacking up a lung) then I don't limit interactions. If they are clearly too sick to be out then yes, I would limit interactions.
This. Also a cold is contagious for about 5 days and is more contagious before a person has symptoms.

People with allergies can seem sick when it's really just pollen or a change in seasons type of thing.
#38 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM

I'm with the minor colds/illness are no problem crowd. I figure most people feel this way unless their child has a compromised immune system. I do give folks a heads up even if it is just a cold though as I figure it is up to each parent to decide what they are comfortable with and I would also say "Hey, it's just a minor cold, but if she gets worse, please call me so I can come pick her up." As who doesn't want their mommy when they are really sick, right?

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#39 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM

No, I definitely try to keep ds away from children (even if they have a minor illness.) It's impossible to do that while he's in school which annoys me. Oh, my son has an immune deficiency and gets sick very easily. What looks like a minor cold or tummy bug in one child often turns into something serious with my son (which lands him in the hospital all the time.)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#40 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM

I try to avoid having the kids around sick kids. But I have a hard time here in Mississippi b/c everyone calls everything "Sinus problems" Seriously. Everyone diagnoses EVERYTHING as Sinuses. I either don't know the extent of Sinus issues, or people around here don't know what they are talking about. I feel like it's their way of not taking responsibility for illness, like keeping their kids home etc. So I am very wary and don't trust people when they tell me they aren't really sick, it's just sinuses. I ask for more symptoms. And if I can somehow determine (in my own opinion) that maybe it's just a cold, I might be around them.
(My MIL just said that about my husband last night in fact when I was describing his condition. Which is most definitely a cold. But she immediatly siad "Yeah, it's prob. sinus stuff. There is some kind of sinus thing in the air, everyone has it" What does that even mean?!?!!)

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#41 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post
I try to avoid having the kids around sick kids. But I have a hard time here in Mississippi b/c everyone calls everything "Sinus problems" Seriously.
Sinusitis is usually a complication of a cold or caused by allergies. It's an infection in the sinuses, not necessarily something that isn't contagious. Sounds like you should assume anyone who says sinuses means a cold effecting their sinuses, in your neck of the woods. They aren't necessarily trying to be misleading though I am used to people meaning they have chronic sinus problems and aren't infectious, in my area. It's kind of like when people say they just have a cough. They don't have a cough for no reason. It's usually because of a cold. It might be a lingering thing and they might not be contagious anymore. They might be susceptible to coughs and always get a cough with their colds (my sister always got asthma). Or the cough might be due to allergies.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#42 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 12:46 PM

I do. I'm generally not too concerned with exposure to a minor illness.

But I always give a warning to others, because I know not everyone believes the same way as I do.
#43 of 44 Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM

For me it depends on the kid. Not nessessarily the fact that he/she is sick. (and by sick I mean 'cold' sick, most kids with the flu are usually feverish and don't feel like playing anyway)

If the kid is responsible enough to wipe his/her own nose/face and flush the tissue, fine, come on over to play. But if I even have an inkling that they're going to drip/smear/blow snot all over my sofa/my kids toys/my good wool rug/ etc then forget it. Stay home.
Seriously there is nothing grosser than sitting down on my sofa later in the evening and putting my hand in....well you know.

I know my kids are going to get sick anyway, whether it's brought in the house by a friend or picked up at school.
#44 of 44 Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Sinusitis is usually a complication of a cold or caused by allergies. It's an infection in the sinuses, not necessarily something that isn't contagious. Sounds like you should assume anyone who says sinuses means a cold effecting their sinuses, in your neck of the woods. They aren't necessarily trying to be misleading though I am used to people meaning they have chronic sinus problems and aren't infectious, in my area. It's kind of like when people say they just have a cough. They don't have a cough for no reason. It's usually because of a cold. It might be a lingering thing and they might not be contagious anymore. They might be susceptible to coughs and always get a cough with their colds (my sister always got asthma). Or the cough might be due to allergies.
This is how I view sinus issues as well. Allergies is one thing. But I kid you not when I say that most people claim sinuses for e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g! That's why I'm wary. It's likely a cold or some kind of infectious illness.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page