How to make others understand how we feel about superheros - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMamaToBe View Post
Still reading the article but this stuck out to me:

Encourage Imaginative Weapons Play
Carlsson-Paige and Levin discuss a continuum of play, from the imaginative to the imitative. In imaginative play, children's needs are being met: the play is initiated from within, they are in control, and they bring to their play the issues they need to work on. Imaginative play is essential to a child's healthy growth and development.7
The problem is that media influence can undermine healthy, imaginative war play and move a child's play toward the imitative end of the spectrum. Children are bombarded with brand-name characters with built-in personalities, plots, and product lines.8 As Garbarino points out, "GI Joe does not do gentle."9 This scripted, "captured," imitative play is like junk food: appealing, prepackaged, and heavily marketed. In imitative play, children are not in control and are not being nourished. While a few empty calories won't hurt, children need to spend the bulk of their time engaged in healthy, imaginative play.

THIS is what I meant when I saw his play is not creative.
Hmm....I have an issue with this. My sons love Star Wars and superheroes and are often out playing with these themes in mind. But if you ever watch a 4 or 5 year old playing "Star Wars" they are adapting and changing it to fit their imagination. I don't see scripted games like "now we are battling like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker" but "I'm Luke Skywalker (with a knights helmet, rain boots and a cape on for a costume) and we're going to beat the monsters!!!" Still very imaginative.

It's the same with themed legos. My kids love Star Wars legos...but they are almost never in their actual intended shape. They make new ships and fortresses with their imaginations while still saying they are playing Star Wars.

I think the article above doesn't give kids enough credit for their huge, wild imaginations and the fact that they are very hard to box in with themes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List