How do you feel about trick or treating and halloween? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I discussed this recently. When I was a kid we weren't allowed to go trick or treating. My mother said it wasn't safe and didn't like the idea of us "begging" (her word not mine) for treats. She's totally disgusted by Halloween. I recently asked DH how he feels about it. He says he never enjoyed trick or treating as a kid. It was boring and getting dressed in a costume was boring for him. I don't have any personal experiences with Halloween except I always wanted to get a costume and go trick or treating because that's what my friends were doing.

How do you all deal with Halloween and trick or treating?
#2 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 10:49 PM

I loved it as a kid, was sad when I couldn't do it anymore as a teen and am SUPER excited that DS is old enough to really, really GET it this year! I can't wait for Halloween! Now to get cracking on his costume!!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#3 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 PM

I LOVE it! It is so much fun, and I loved it as a kid. My DD is only 4, but she picks out her costume like 6 months in advance! My husband isn't so keen on it, he thinks it is an evil holiday from a religious standpoint (though he isnt very religious in practice). He refuses to dress up, but goes trick or treating with us. I don't think he would ever deny the kids this holiday if I wasn't around, but he could do without it.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#4 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 PM

It wasn't my favorite as a kid, I always seemed to get sick so I wouldn't go trick or treating, but I loved dressing up in my costume and handing out candy (I never had anything contagious, just a lot of tonsillitis.)

Now, I still find it kind of blah, but I LOVE watching my kids have fun. They enjoy it so much that it makes it fun for me!

Mama of three.

#5 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 PM

I like it OK, I guess. At first, I used to have my dd make something (like color a picture) to bring to people, and we only went t houses where we knew the family. Then once she started trick-or-treating with friends, I stopped that. We only do a block or 2 though. I really don't want all the candy in the house. Just want her to have the experience and that's it.

This year, I am debating having some kids over for a Halloween party and then trick-or-treating afterward.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM

As a kid I loved going. The candy was great, but getting dressed up was even better.

We probably won't take the kids door to door this year. We do so many things with our other groups, Grandma's lake community, and the preschool that we really don't need another night of collecting candy. I lost count this year, they either have 4 or 5 different events where they are dressing up and collecting candy. That's more than enough IMO.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#7 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 PM

We go. We really enjoy it. The kids get costumes and we go to DH's parents house where we have a big family dinner, then go once around their block. After we're done, we come home (only 5 min away) and hand out candy to the neighborhood children.
We even do halloween type celebrations at the zoo, at our local park where there is a huge festival with live music and at ds's school in addition to the actual night.
#8 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 PM

I liked the dressing up and the being out at night with a flashlight and (because I am fundamentally nosy and always have been) the peeks into all the houses of people we didn't know so well. The candy was all right but it wasn't really the main thing, except for this one house that gave out cotton candy out of a machine (not that this would fly these days).

As an adult it kind of amazes me that a bunch of people who almost never agree on anything all agree to go spend money on candy to watch the kids in the neighbourhood's faces light up. I mean that, to me, is something special.

So yeah we do it. We don't make a huge huge deal of it but hey. Plus, I still get to dress up.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#9 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM

We don't do it. For religious reasons, but also because I just generally don't want my DS to make that big a deal out of candy. We don't eat junky candy on a regular basis so I feel like, why would I let him get a whole bunch of candy that I honestly don't want him to eat and he can't self-regulate how not to desperately want to eat it all in one setting? It's just not something that appeals to me. Right now, he's 3, and he is terrified of the costumes, etc anyway.

We do plan on going to a pumpkin patch and picking out some pumpkins to make pies, etc with, and going on their hay ride (well maybe, if it's not a scary Halloweeny thing, I don't know yet). We also will make caramel apples. So, in other words, we will do some fun fall things, but not necessarily on Halloween and not in celebration of it. We probably will do this this weekend actually.

DH and I both did all the Halloween stuff as kids. But when we discussed it after DS's birth, we realized that nothing really good ever came out of it, and it was more about doing what our friends did, or our parents keeping up with the neighbors, etc than it was about us actually having a great time. So that's where we're at. Plus, from a religious standpoint, it's just a no for us.
#10 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I feel like I missed out It sounds like so much fun. If DD is into it when she's older it's fine by us but I'd prefer she only trick or treat at the apartments/homes of people we know. Taking her trick or treating will let me make up for what I missed out on as a kid.
#11 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
Taking her trick or treating will let me make up for what I missed out on as a kid.
There are a lot of thing like this for me because I had a crappy childhood!

We love Halloween, and some years I even make the kids costumes. It's really wonderful in some neighborhoods -- lots of people are out, the parent chat, it's fun.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#12 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
There are a lot of thing like this for me because I had a crappy childhood!

We love Halloween, and some years I even make the kids costumes. It's really wonderful in some neighborhoods -- lots of people are out, the parent chat, it's fun.
Unfortunately, I know what you mean re the crappy childhood.

We're going to take DD to the Zoo's Halloween event. They have a "haunted house" and safari for the kids and certain trick or treating spots.

What costumes do you make?
#13 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I LOVED (& still do) the fun of thinking of a costume & making it & of course wearing it. I like Halloween parties & activities & directions. I REALLY didn't enjoy trick-or-treating, the candy yes, but the door to door was awful. It felt awkward to me & due to my height I got comments at a fairly young age that I must be too old at many doors.

I think when ds gets older I will give him the option but I think I will encourage a Halloween party over trick-or-treating.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#14 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Well, my birthday is the day before....so Halloween was and is always a major thing with me. My mom always made my costumes and she has made the last 2 for my son.
I mainly take my son to family houses (but I have loads of aunts/uncles etc).

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#15 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
As an adult it kind of amazes me that a bunch of people who almost never agree on anything all agree to go spend money on candy to watch the kids in the neighbourhood's faces light up. I mean that, to me, is something special.

I love Halloween! It isn't really about the candy or the costumes for us. I love getting out and seeing my neighbors (we all usually sit on our front lawns to hand out candy). For some of the neighbors, it is the only time we see them all year. I have very fond memories of picking out/designing costumes with my mom and hanging out with the neighborhood kids while trick or treating. My parents let us eat candy that night and then the next day my dad would take the rest to work. We didn't even care because we had so much fun the night before.
I don't see Halloween as an "evil" event because we just don't give it that kind of power; we make it into what we want it to be: a great family bonding time!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#16 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 AM
~pi

I adore it. We have a family on our street who get really into it -- they file a request to have the street closed, and it's a big, family-oriented party for the neighbourhood. (Note to self: Remember to drop off thank you note for that family.) Last year the house on the corner hired a flame thrower, and everyone was just enthralled.

I loved it as a kid, too. And I'm type 1 diabetic and couldn't eat any of the candy I collected. I just liked being out at night, seeing everyone else out, walking around with my family, etc.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#17 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM

I hate Trick or Treating. I hate Halloween. I buy costumes for my children to play dress up in. But I am not comfy with them going door to door to get candy, I am not comfy with them eating candy-regardless of where it comes from, at least not that much candy. I am not comfortable with the dark yucky themes of Halloween. It makes me sad too. I see people do stupid haunted themes in their yards and spooky music and then I think of those that I loved who died (my grandpa, 2 of my baby sons) and I like to believe that this is not what death is or what death is like. I feel like it mocks the dead and mocks our passed on loved ones and makes a horrible disgusting thing of it. I just hate hate hate Halloween.
#18 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM

We love Halloween and trick or treating. I enjoyed it as a kid, too. The only thing I didn't like was how cold it almost always was when we lived in CO. Who wants to wear sweats under their costume and coats over it? But now that we live in NM, the weather isn't near as bad.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#19 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 12:31 AM
ssh

We love Halloween and trick or treating. Last year we ran out of candy and DD started giving out some of hers. She enjoys giving out candy as much as going door to door. We just go around our neighborhood and feel really safe. We usually go to a local trick or treating event at the mall or our local hospital too. We usually get a costume that DD can use as dress up clothes.
#20 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 AM

Way too much candy but I love being out in the neighborhood, seeing all the cute and excited kids.

When I was little (in a small town in Tx), all the moms made homebaked goodies like popcorn balls, cookies and you went home with all these amazing treats. (though I remember we were most excited about the rare person who did give out storebought candy, lol)
#21 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Banned

I loved it as a kid. I loved getting all dressed up, and going around to all the neighborhood houses. It was fall, it got dark earlier, my dad would always take us around, everyone would ask all about our costumes... good fun. I don't like the supercreepy style some folks do for Halloween, but in general Halloween is just fun! No big family drama or event, just a bowl of candy and a costume, and you are set! It felt very communal. Of course now we can't stand letting little DD have all that candy, but we've worked it out, she can keep the good stuff and the rest goes to the Great Pumpkin for a super surprise. Someday she'll be old enough to decide if she'd prefer the candy, or like some of it. Right now it would make her totally crazy, like can't stop moving for an hour after two pieces, she starts swatting at people she is normally good with, etc, so it's not up to her. It's too bad it's so candy-focused, because I know some kids who will never be able to eat the kind of candy handed out, but it really seems like more than that... it's so much fun to go around the street at night all dressed up!
#22 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
for dd and me halloween is THE holiday. christmas and easter (not for religious reasons but 'party' reasons dd enjoys it). i am not pagan but i love, love, love Samhain and dia del muerto. so its a continuous party for us.

as much as dd enjoys the candy her whole point is dressing up and me dressing up too. i wear v. flamboyant silly not sexy makeup so dd loves going tot with me. in the middle for the past years she first started handing out dried leaves we found on the way as a thank you to candy handouters. now she just gives them some candy.

we start early with her visiting her gparents retirement community (they passed two years ago but we always start there). she totally laps up all the compliments. then we go to our old neighbourhoods and new ones.

after we are done with tot and dd has excitedly gone thru her loot (to be forgotten so i take the candy to work/school) we do our own little ceremony to remember those who passed and THEN lastly we take a mug of hot chocolate and walk the neighbourhood enjoying the lights someone has put up and late partygoers in their costume.

this year our halloween is going to start earlier. we are going to a few parties and child friendly haunted house.

when dd was younger they had a fair so we would walk the half hour doing tot and then she would be on the jumpy house continuously for 2 hours till they closed down.

and she also wore her costume regularly when younger.

her sadest comment was 'mama we should have halloween every month. we dont need to do candy but we should all dress up and go out with flashlights.'

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#23 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM

We really, really love Halloween. It's probably the most fun holiday we have in our house. We have our house all decorated and love spookiness of it. I have no religious convictions of it, but I most *certainly* don't see it as being disrespectful in any way and I don't consider it to be "sinister". People can make it out to be what they want. They can do that with anything, though.

We like to go out into our neighborhood to T&T because it's almost all elderly people who are all very quirky in their own ways (in a real neighborhood, not a subdivision where everyone is the same). They love seeing the kids dressed up and always there is some chit-chat at every house.

Dd rarely eats candy during the year, so the candy isn't a problem. In fact, she eats the candy just that one night and then the rest is ignored until I take it into work a couple of weeks later.

We REALLY had a great time at Halloween when I was growing up. It was all good, clean fun. We even had a parade in town with everyone dressed up. So, so much fun. Great memories!
#24 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 08:53 AM

we love halloween! we go to about 3 or 4 neighborhoods, park and trick or treat until our hearts are content! it is fun seeing all the costumes and different decorations at all the houses.

some houses do mini haunted houses in their garage. one family makes their entire front yard a cemetary complete with caskets, dry ice for that foggy effect, etc. my kids love it but i am too much of a chicken to walk through it so i make my husband walk up to that house. there is another family that projects the great pumpkin/charlie brown cartoon on the side of their house and they hand out popsicles and bottled water for kids to sit on the lawn and take a break.

as for the candy, we take both of the kids' trick or treat bags and dole out the candy as we see fit--good grades, good behavior, going above and beyond with chores/manners, etc. i am not one to let my kids have a free for all with junk. i usually end up tossing it all out before christmas when all the "good" stuff is gone. besides, i like candy, too, so we have what is called a "candy tax" where mom and dad get a piece once in a while. lol.
#25 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Had so much fun as a kid.

We're not going this year because mine are still too little, but I'm going to still get them costumes. We're going to an early Halloween party with Em's playgroup on the Friday before. But I think we'll do what I've done for years, just stay home and hand out candy to the kids. We'll go trick-or-treating when the babies are old enough to ask to go.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#26 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Love it. I'm sad that we don't get to participate because the dc are teens now and don't go out anymore - and certainly not with Mom and Dad! We'll still shell out, but I'll miss going around the neighbourhood. Maybe I'll just go for a walk instead.

I love the sense of excitement percolating in the air, the night filled with parents and children enjoying their streets, meeting up with neighbours, the inventive costumes and how proud the little kids are about being dressed up. I like the sense of ancient traditions and rituals somehow surviving into the modern era, even if they are utterly changed. It feels like a street fair or community celebration.

When the kids were younger, I didn't like the arguments that yes, they really need to dress warmly even if it ruined that princess fairy gown costume by putting a sweater underneath and covering it up with a coat. I didn't like having to examine the candy with the eye of a forensic criminal specialist just in case. I didn't like waking up to the smashed pumpkins on my street on the morning of November 1st. Thal all seemed like a small price to pay for the fun we had with the actual event.
#27 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Halloween rocks!!

It's our family's favorite holiday. Like other pp have said, we love how it brings the community together to create a magical night for the children. I remember as a kid feeling really special having all of the adults in my neighborhood complimenting me on my costume and talking to me and giving me treats.

We trick or treat for UNICEF to minimize the candy. It's still loads of fun and ds LOVES it. This year will be even better because I have 2 kids to dress up now!

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#28 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 AM

I adore Halloween and trick or treating.
#29 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
Man, I feel like I missed out It sounds like so much fun. If DD is into it when she's older it's fine by us but I'd prefer she only trick or treat at the apartments/homes of people we know. Taking her trick or treating will let me make up for what I missed out on as a kid.
We actually get to know new people by trick or treating in our neighborhood. We took ds around for the first time when he was 3, just around our block. We've lived in the neighborhood for years but there are so many people we don't know. Trick or treating in the neighborhood, including people we don't know, gives us an opportunity to meet people we'd ordinarily never exchange words with.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#30 of 105 Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post

I love this.

My son has only spent one Halloween in the U.S., when he was six, and he still talks about it. It really is a very cool thing. We hope to there next year for Halloween. I definitely want him to have another one there while he's still a kid.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page