Take kids to visit Grandma when they are sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 year old and a 9 month old and they both have a cold although the 9 month old hardly has any symptoms. They are acting fine, although congested. We were supposed to go visit my Grandma which is a 4 hour drive tomorrow through Thursday. I really want to go, but my concern is Grandma getting sick or it ending up being miserable. My mom talked to Grandma and she is okay with us coming and said it doesn't mean she will get sick. This is true, but I would feel horrible if she did!

She does still go out shopping and running errands so it's not like she lives in a bubble, but that is different than having two snotty nosed kids around. Grandma has never gotten to meet my baby, and possibly won't ever if we don't make it this time. She is old and my Grandpa has already passed. I just worry that she will get sick or stop feeling well soon and then we won't be able to go. Anyways talk some sense into me. Since this is emotional for me, I may not be being rationale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Colds don't last forever. Why not give it a few days for your two munchkins to fully recover and then go visit Grandma?

Quote:
Grandma has never gotten to meet my baby, and possibly won't ever if we don't make it this time.
You said she is still active, what worries you so that she can't wait a week or so to see the baby? Is there some reason you haven't been to see her before?

A four hour drive for two sick kids doesn't sound too pleasant for them, either!

Wait 10 days and then go for the visit when everyone feels good!
#3 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 PM

If this were us, I'd probably go. DD (also 4) gets congested a lot during the fall/winter and if I didn't go places while she was congested we'd be stuck in the house all the time .

But seriously, if they're acting pretty fine otherwise (and wouldn't be less than bearable in the car for the drive), and your grandmother doesn't have any condition that would mean you need to be more cautious about having a cold - I would go and make sure everyone is taking extra cold precautions - kids, you, grandma (vit C, probiotics, extra hand washing, cold tea, no slobbering on each other, whatever you like to do or not do during the visit).

Then again, if it's really easy for you to adjust your visit a day or two (and the cold is recent) I'd do that. (Its just that, for us, we're rarely able to adjust planned vacations/dh's time off and stuff - so it'd be go or not go for months, and I wouldn't want to do that were we in your situation).
#4 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

We go with my parents since my husband can't take off of work. My mom works crazy hours so she rarely gets a chance to get away. I could take them by myself, but I hesitate a little to do that. It is easier when I can ride in back with the baby, and I have to bring all of our food, pans, etc to cook since my daughter has food allergies. It is just soooo much easier with an extra set of hands! My moms mom passed away suddenly, recently and it was before she got to meet my baby so that is why I worry. I really probably shouldn't go and just suck it up and take them by myself, but it tempts me since the kids are acting fine (despite the sniffly noses.)
#5 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
If this were us, I'd probably go. DD (also 4) gets congested a lot during the fall/winter and if I didn't go places while she was congested we'd be stuck in the house all the time .

Then again, if it's really easy for you to adjust your visit a day or two (and the cold is recent) I'd do that. (Its just that, for us, we're rarely able to adjust planned vacations/dh's time off and stuff - so it'd be go or not go for months, and I wouldn't want to do that were we in your situation).
This is exactly us. lol
#6 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM

If you can wait 10 days or so, I'd wait. Older people often experience colds much more severely and it can last longer.
#7 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 PM

I love Grandma visits as a kid and I do the same for my DD now. She loves visiting her Grandma and loves it especially when Grandma visits and spend time with her.

Worlds Best Mom
#8 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am stunned that you even had to write out this question to be honest. Two kids who are sick in the same house with elderly Grandma? What about that could possibly sound like a good idea?? I understand being disappointed about not being able to go somewhere because of illness. My dad has major health issues and one year we didn't see him for almost a year because every time we planned a visit someone would get sick. It is just not worth the risk.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#9 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If Grandma wants to see them I think it is important to take them. Grandma is an adult. She can make this decision. If she were worried about a cold she would tell you. Just be sure everyone washes hands a lot and have a great time.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#10 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
If Grandma wants to see them I think it is important to take them. Grandma is an adult. She can make this decision. If she were worried about a cold she would tell you. Just be sure everyone washes hands a lot and have a great time.
I agree with this.
#11 of 11 Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 PM

I would take them. It's Monday there? So that's almost a whole week for them to get better. By the time you go they will probably be better anyway. If Grandma's OK with it and doesn't have any health concerns that have lowered her immune system etc then I would definitely go.

ETA: The trip is tomorrow? Unless they woke up really miserable I would still go.

It's complicated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page