Would you let your child be fingerprinted? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son will be taking a field trip to the police station with his scout group soon. Part of the trip/tour will involve finger printing the kids. I’m not really feeling this much… On one hand I don’t want him to feel left out, but on the other… eh, I just don’t really like the idea of him having his prints on file, and he’s not really old enough to make an informed decision on this one.

Maybe I’m just over thinking this! Thoughts?

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would absolutely do it. It may help identify my child in the event of a kidnapping. It's not like I'm worried about it being used against them in some way. If they did a crime then they would deserve to be caught.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#3 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
DD1 had hers done in a similar demo but the kids took theirs home; they weren't put on file or anything.
#4 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Are you sure they are actually keeping them? The neighbor kid went and his Mom said they tossed the cards.

Although, I was just recently fingerprinted for a background check and it was all digital-so no cards to toss.

I do understand your hesitation. For me it was required for my security clearance but I still felt like I was giving a part of myself up.
#5 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
DD1 had hers done in a similar demo but the kids took theirs home; they weren't put on file or anything.
this.

We have DNA samples of our kids stored away. The police don't have anything on either kid on file. I'd check and see exactly what they are doing.

For most kids, seeing their finger prints and comparing them to their friends is pretty cool.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 PM

No! not a police station never.

If I feel the need to have their fingerprints (for my use) I'll do them myself.
#7 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

I’m honestly not even sure if they will be keeping them on file… That was just my assumption.

I do already have his fingerprints here in a free kit that I got. I’m fine with that. I just don’t feel good about them keeping them on file at this point. If it’s the cards and not the digital ones, I guess there will be no problem. Good thing my DH will be there to handle it if it’s not just something they can take home!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 PM

But I believe that the State of California, the US Federal Government, and Sea World all have finger prints for various members of our family. I think it's educational to learn about finger prints and how they're taken, and a police station having them on file is really low on my list of stuff to worry about. My impression though was that the stations don't usually keep them. They come home with a note about storing them in a safe place.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#9 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM

No, not a chance.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#10 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

I guess I don't see what's the harm? I'm not saying people SHOULD-- I'm just saying I can't see the harm it would do.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yes. Our son has been fingerprinted (although the cards came home to us in a kit with other ID stuff to keep on file).

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#12 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM

The station here won't fingerprint during field trips like this. They DO send home a kit with the kids so you can take their fingerprints & a hair sample to be stored at home.
#13 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 PM

I wouldn't allow my children to be fingerprinted if the prints were being kept on file by anyone but me.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#14 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 PM

I would be fine with it.

And can I ask why it would be a problem if the police did keep the prints? I'm trying to think of what the police could get up to with a bunch of children's fingerprints.... some sort of candy caper cover up? (kidding, kidding)
#15 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I guess I don't see what's the harm? I'm not saying people SHOULD-- I'm just saying I can't see the harm it would do.
This.
#16 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 PM

I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Dh is leery though, so we opted out on a field trip that did this once. I don't know if the police kept the prints or not, in that situation. It was presented as a "child safety" thing.
#17 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 PM

ds was fingerprinted last year, but I have the copy of the prints, which we keep along with some hair off his head and a current photo/stats. Its one of those things you are supposed to keep on hand 'just in case' your kid disappears.
It was done with ink on paper, not digitally, so there is no 'record' of him 'on file' anywhere.
#18 of 60 Old 10-13-2010, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera971 View Post
I would be fine with it.

And can I ask why it would be a problem if the police did keep the prints? I'm trying to think of what the police could get up to with a bunch of children's fingerprints.... some sort of candy caper cover up? (kidding, kidding)
I guess my main issue with having them on file is that I feel like it should be DS's choice to offer up his prints voluntarily to anyone; they are his, after all. Having them on file isn't going to benefit him in any way... It won't prevent kidnapping or anything, so... as long as I have them... And I know some people would feel violated about having that kind of stuff out there without their consent. I guess I'm just erring on the side of caution with that in mind.

#19 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post
I guess my main issue with having them on file is that I feel like it should be DS's choice to offer up his prints voluntarily to anyone; they are his, after all. Having them on file isn't going to benefit him in any way... It won't prevent kidnapping or anything, so... as long as I have them... And I know some people would feel violated about having that kind of stuff out there without their consent. I guess I'm just erring on the side of caution with that in mind.
ITA. We have also consciously avoided having our kids have their finger prints put on file.

#20 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 AM

I would let DS1. He would think it was really cool and I'm pretty sure he hasn't committed any crimes I'm unaware of.

It's complicated.
#21 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM

I would. I doubt the police in the UK have the resources to file and store the fingerprints taken from the millions of schoolkids that go to stations for a visit though. Even if they did...meh, it's a fingerprint, my DD leaves them on every hard surface she encounters every day of her life.
#22 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
no.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#23 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM

I know that here, if my son went in for a scout thing to the police station, he would be coming home with them. They (the police) do not keep them. Honestly, I have to say that I would not care anyway. If they were keeping them I would think of it as another safety measure just in case something happened to them and we needed their fingerprints.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#24 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Having them on file isn't going to benefit him in any way... It won't prevent kidnapping or anything, so... as long as I have them...
No, the idea is that it could be used in case they were kidnapped or otherwise missing. Their prints could be identified from large sets (hotels, restaurants, etc.), and the print could be used as an identifier if there is confusion over identity.

That said, DC had theirs done at a fair with the police. They scanned them in, but the files aren't kept. The scanned image goes onto a card we were given to take home and pull out in case they are missing.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#25 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Gotta keep that career choice of a life of crime open.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#26 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM
2xy

Quote:
I guess my main issue with having them on file is that I feel like it should be DS's choice to offer up his prints voluntarily to anyone; they are his, after all.
I personally think that an 8yo is perfectly capable of making that choice. YMMV.
#27 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 11:50 AM

no. no way.
but again, i am very unenthusiastic about that organization for multiple reasons as well, and wouldn't be likely to have my child participate anyway.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#28 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
No, the idea is that it could be used in case they were kidnapped or otherwise missing. Their prints could be identified from large sets (hotels, restaurants, etc.), and the print could be used as an identifier if there is confusion over identity.
I didn't bring this up earlier, because it's just morbid, but...

The only times I understand fingerprints to be used in kidnapping cases is if the child is dead. At which point there are other options than fingerprints as well.

#29 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM

We got a kit and it is in our possession.

But what my kids have found the most fun is finger print art http://www.123child.com/UBB/showthread.php?t=6356
#30 of 60 Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I would absolutely do it. It may help identify my child in the event of a kidnapping. It's not like I'm worried about it being used against them in some way. If they did a crime then they would deserve to be caught.

The "privacy intrusion" argument is not worth anything to me compared to the benefit of finding my child if needed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page