Shopping Carts - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old were each of your kids when they stopped riding in shopping carts?
1 3 27.27%
2 9 81.82%
3 20 100.00%
4 20 100.00%
5 17 100.00%
6 7 63.64%
7 4 36.36%
8 0 0%
8+ 2 18.18%
my kids never rode in a shopping cart 3 27.27%
other 6 54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IMHO, shopping cart seats are poorly designed and unsafe. BIL works at a grocery and has seen carts, with children in them, topple over too many times. Not because the parent or child were doing anything unsafe, but simply because of the poor design.

joy.giflurk.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

The carts at Wild Oats and Trader Joe's don't go up very high in weight limit--to about 35 lbs or so.  My kids could ride in specialty carts longer, but there is no way I could lift my 7 year old into a cart.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:01 AM

I voted 3... but ds1 is 3.5 nearly 4 and still rides in them occasionally (mostly only the car-carts), though he's had a broken leg so he's been sitting *in* the cart for the last couple months. Thankfully he finally seems to be walking properly again, and that will thus end!!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post

We shop at a store that requires all kids under age eight ride in a shopping cart. The have forklifts all over the place though. I think the idea is that they want all kids small enough to get missed easily to be up off the ground.

OK, I'm sorry, but that's crazy.  Under 8?  Not that long.  LOL.  You should sumit this to Free Range Kids - she'd probably blog on it.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is one of those "I really have no clear memory" things. Probably because they would still occasionally ask to ride in the cart, along with the food etc. when they 5 or 6 or 7. I'm pretty sure I wasn't putting an 8 y.o. in the cart. I know I was still putting  3 y.o.'s in the "seat", but they were both growing too big to ride in there. I voted 3, but I wouldn't think twice about putting an older child in if they fit.

As for the rule in this particular instance, I have some sympathy for the warehouse. They can't know which children are going to be well-behaved in the store and which ones are going to be terrors running around.  Every time I visit IKEA or Costco, there are children flat out RUNNING, playing tag and hide-and-seek in the aisles and around the merchandise. Something about the large, utilitarian space incites them and for some reason, parents seem less able or willing to curb this behaviour in these warehouse-type spaces than they are in a typical department store or smaller shop. I can see how the warehouse feels it has to take some protective steps. 

The alternative is to ban small children from the premises altogether. I'm sure that would make parents even more unhappy. If parents are complaining about this rule, I'd probably ask for whatever entity that governs Workplace and Consumer safety for an advisory recommendation, post it on the doors and direct complaints that way. 

Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 AM

Neither of mine liked shopping carts, though DD has ridden in them more than DS. He rarely ever rode in them. She did until 2-ish - most of the time. Now, though, they sometimes claim their legs hurt, and they NEED to ride.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM

I voted "3" and "other"

DS1 was about three, although I rarely got a cart when he was  little (I had to do all my grocery shopping on foot, and when I got a cart, I often ended up buying more than I could reasonably carry).

DS2 is five and dd1 is seven. They both still ride in the cart quite often. It's their preference, and it makes my life easier, so I go along with it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I stopped putting my dd in the shopping carts when she hit the weight limit, three maybe.  But the car carts have a higher weight limit so I let her ride in those until she was too tall to easily lift into them, she was six then and almost seven.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Sometime between 2 and 3. All my boy are very tall for their ages, and sometime in that year it just became extremely awkward to get them in and out of that seat.  Also, they generally wanted to walk, or help push the cart, or ride on the front at that stage.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM

I forgot about the "car" carts.  They all loved those at older ages, but I couldn't navigate the freaking things, especially not with 60-100 lb of kid-weight in them, so we don't use them.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM

My 6 and 4 year olds both sometimes ride, depending on where we are and how long we're going to be there.  Quick trips in and out of the market, everyone walks.  If we're at Publix, they both like to ride in the race car carts (do all grocery stores have those?), which is fine with me because it goes a lot faster.  At Costco on Saturday?   Yea...they both ride in a cart.  Little kids in Costco on Saturday morning are basically target practice for the hundreds of over-filled carts speeding through that place!  LOL.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 AM

I have a baby that doesn't sit up yet, a 2, and a 4 year old.  In really crowded stores, the big ones both ride in the basket part.  Sometimes, the 2 year old rides in the seat.  My 4 year old is just too heavy for the seat, and it doesn't feel safe.  I think he weighs around 47lb?  Something like that.

Most of the time, I shop in the mornings of weekdays, and the bigs both walk (and I sling the baby).  But, the minute that someone doesn't listen, into the buggy he goes.  Which means that someone is usually in the buggy.  LOL

My older one was a bad, bad runner.  Awful.  He didn't even get the chance to have his feet hit the floor in public until he was well over 3.  My now 2 year old is much better about staying with me, so he got to occasionally walk starting around 22 months or so. 

Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Ds rides in the cart occasionally. Usually I put dd in the front seat and ds will hop in and out of the basket at will, but sometimes if dd is being worn he will ask to ride up front which i s a pain for me because he really is too big imo. Mostly though he stands on the end of the cart and holds on while I push.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoablessing View Post

My 6 and 4 year olds both sometimes ride, depending on where we are and how long we're going to be there.  Quick trips in and out of the market, everyone walks.  If we're at Publix, they both like to ride in the race car carts (do all grocery stores have those?), which is fine with me because it goes a lot faster.  At Costco on Saturday?   Yea...they both ride in a cart.  Little kids in Costco on Saturday morning are basically target practice for the hundreds of over-filled carts speeding through that place!  LOL.

Ditto this! I have a 4 y.o and a 6 y.o and they both occasionally ride in the cart.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 PM

lol.gif DS is 7 and still rides in the cart sometimes! Oftentimes he asks to ride in the basket part (where the groceries go). If he's having a *really* rough time then I'll put him in the front seat where I can keep my hands on him. If we're at a store with the car carts then he'll sometimes ask to ride in one of those and I'll let him. 99% of the time he's brought a book (or 2) with him and he'll sit in the cart reading while I grab what we need.

Long ago before I became a mommy I used to think parents were crazy for putting their older kids in the cart. Now I'm the mama to an autistic 7 year old and I'm eating my words winky.gif Shopping is hard enough for ds, putting him in a cart is often the only thing that gets him through a trip. He doesn't do well in crowds, he doesn't do well in the grocery store (too many smells for him), he doesn't do well this time of the year period. The cart is often my savior if for some reason I have to go to the store with him. When he was younger (1-3 years) I would put him in his jogging stroller (plenty of storage space underneath for my groceries) while we were shopping. He had a big blanket that we would put over the stroller so he couldn't see out and nobody could see in. This was his perfect environment.

I do realize that people often stare at us and I've even heard some comments about how my ds should be walking beside me instead of sitting in the cart playing on my phone (which is our last ditch effort if I really need something at the store and he's having a really bad day- I let him play games on my phone). But people need to remember that they don't have the whole story so they should reserve their judgment. Or it just might come back to bite you in the butt, like it did me! LOL!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't think it's crazy for someone to put an older child in a cart - I assume people know their kids and have a good reason when they do something like that.  What I think is crazy is making it a requirement to put older children in carts.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 PM

DS is 4 and about 38lbs and he still rides in the seat and sometimes in the cart.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Age 3.  And I would not put my 5+ in a buggy, no matter the rules, they are way too big (I have big children).  I would not shop at such a place that required it.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 AM

DS is turning 4 and still rides in the cart at times.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK

User Tag List