Lets talk used shoes?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well what is everyones take on buying used shoes for a 3 year old?

My son's feet seem to be really wide and fit well in Keen shoes, the only problem is they are $60 a pair..... and he usually only gets a few months out of them and he is on to the next size. I have seen them go on ebay for a pretty good price but ......I have read that you are not to get used shoes as they can mess up feet and the way they walk??

So what is everyone's take on used shoes?
#2 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It can be a problem if the shoes are worn down. But so many shoes for young kids are barely worn that I wouldn't hesitate to use them in general. My own ds never wore shoes for very long stretch, either, so I figure they couldn't cause a problem, anyway.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM

I don't do used shoes. My kids typically wear DC shoes or Etnies which work well for their wide, thick feet. But depending on where I get them, they're about $50 a pair.
#4 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
We do use them and as pp said, they are barely used when we get them.
#5 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Every pair my son has are used. I can not afford $50-$60 a pair for really good shoes. I shop second hand and Baby Bargain sales and find great shoes that aren't worn at all.

Recently I got him a pair of Stride Rite leather shoes and an awesome pair of Lands End shoes for two bucks each and neither pair had been taken out of the box.

So many people buy way too much stuff for their kids and I am always just waiting around to snap up the cast offs.
#6 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM

I don't do used shoes for the reason stated above, that the patterns of the previous user are imprinted on the shoe and may affect the development of my child's pattern.

DH, on the other hand, thinks it's ok for the reasons stated above as well... that kids typically grow out of shoes quickly and therefore don't imprint as much as an adult does and that kids are way less heavier than adults so he does not see how much "wearing down" it will take.

We love KEENs too and I usually buy them when on sale at REI. The last pair that I bought for my son (4y.o.) was about $23.
#7 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:23 PM

We buy used Keens. Also wide feet, low arches, buy on e-bay. I've been nothing but happy with my purchases. My daughter loves Keens, she literally starts prancing around when she gets them.

Most people don't sell very used shoes on e-bay. Good sellers take pictures of the tread, the tops, you can tell they're hardly worn (by our standards... if you have two pairs of shoes, they get worn a lot, LOL!).

My thing is, a pair of used Keens is still WAY more supportive than most of the shoes we could afford. I've paid an average, including shipping, of $25/pair and now we have them in every size and DD2 wears her big sister's.

Sadly now that big sister's getting older, the wear is way more noticeable and I think I won't be able to hand down shoes from this year to little one. I didn't anticipate that, but they're really worn at the heel and I can't see any child wearing them for anything other than dress up.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#8 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM

pretty much all my kid's shoes are used (mine too). ds also has probably 5-10 pairs of shoes at any given time (the thrift store near us has them often for less than $2) I figure he wears lots of shoes, he's barefoot in the house, I'm not worried about the former wearer's foot imprints.
#9 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM

I'll buy anything used except socks, underwear, and shoes.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#10 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM

My dd wears a mix of new and used shoes. I like to have several pairs that fit her so none are excessively worn. I have heard that about not buying used shoes and figure dd goes barefoot enough to offset any random shoe imprinting. I have several pairs of used shoes myself. We also get hand me downs every year to add to the mix. I wouldn't buy or wear really cheap used shoes like plastic flip flops or rain boots. Those are gross after dirty feet have been in them. Expensive shoes seem to fit and wear so well that they are frequently a great bargain gently used on ebay or at consignment stores. Sometimes they have been worn only once or twice.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#11 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 PM

We buy used shoes as long as they're lightly used.

I would rather buy quality used shoes than brand new and inferior shoes, JMO. My kids are also really hard on shoes and the cheap ones don't hold up very well.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#12 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Agree - way better to buy used Keens or another good quality brand (and seriously, how long do kids really use shoes anyway) than to buy cheapy shoes. A lot of the nicer shoes last really well anyway and I've seen some practically new ones in thrift and consignment stores. We always buy shoes secondhand.
#13 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

We don't buy used, I don't want to risk it, as I have really bad feet and a lot of issues with them (and I only wore used shoes as a small child).

We've got Bobux I-Walk (and still use Bobux soft eco-leather shoes as slippers), as they are the bes you can get here. We actually had a pair sent to us when we were in Sweden last year, as Swedish children's shoes are considered to be better the harder they are. Anyway, we are very pleased with Bobux I-Walk. And we've just got two pairs, sneakers and sandals (as we have spring here now), on sale, 2 for NZD100, which at the moment converts to USD76. They usually retail for NZD69 or 75 a pair.
#14 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've never bought used shoes, but we have had gently worn hand-me-downs. I don't think they've caused problems. If the shoes had a distinctive wear pattern like run down heels or broken down insteps, I wouldn't accept them. Kids outgrow shoes really quickly and I don't find wear patterns like those in adult shoes.

My kids always had a variety of shoes too, a couple of pairs of sneakers, some loafers, sandals etc., so no single pair would get worn everyday. I also encouraged going barefoot - no shoes at all allowed in the house, and often they went barefoot in the yard too. Neither of them had shoes until they were about 20 months old and had been walking for quite awhile by then. I think minimizing shoe wear and switching up shoes avoids some of the problems you may be worried about.
#15 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 PM

We do a mix of used and new--for me and dd. Dh always gets new, but 1. he's on his feet A LOT more than us, 2. used men's shoes are nearly impossible to find except loafers and such.

DD isn't in shoes enough of the time for me to worry that a shoe some other kid wore for 3 months is going to hurt her in the 3 months she wears it. Especially since we can't always find used shoes that I think are reasonable.

The person I know with the worst feet ever always wore new shoes--but high heels. So I'm more worried about getting the nice flexy soles than anything else.
#16 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As long as they are lightly used, like most kid's shoes, I don't think it is a problem. As they get older and the shoes get more wear, then I see it as a problem.
#17 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 PM

I have absolutely no problem with lightly used shoes. I wouldn't buy somethign that's obviously worn, and worn down. But all the used shoes I've bought have had little to no wear. I don't know if they were part of someone huuuuuge shoe collection for their kid or what, but I often find shoes that might as well be brand new, at thrift stores. Dress shoes are even better, as they're often only worn once or twice before the kid outgrows them.
#18 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
ssh

We've bought 3 pairs of my DDs shoes on ebay. They were SKR shoes which scuff easily. One pair looked completely new the other two were a little scuffed on the toe but wore just fine. Even the new looking pair was about $20 instead of $40. We've bought on sale clearance styles of SKR on their website and some stride rite at an outlet store. I think I've only paid full price once, twice if you count snow boots. We have a family member who has a DD who is one year younger than our DD so she gets most of DDs hand me downs. We've only had 3 pairs of shoes that were too worn to give away. The leather stride rite ones seem to show the least wear.
#19 of 62 Old 10-14-2010, 10:38 PM

DS1 has had a handful of new and lots of used shoes. Often I can find him nearly-new shoes for just a few dollars ($3-6, generally), and I'm totaly OK with that. When he gets bigger and actually wears them for more than a couple months maybe I'll rethink that idea. But for now? Who cares. And DS2 has had almost exclusively Ds1 handme-downs so far
#20 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM

I hand down wellies, as my kids wear them only occasionally and well padded with lots of socks, or dressing up shoes that only ever stay on for a few minutes anyway, but generally I'm wary of used shoes.
#21 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Someone must be buying them because I've sold a LOT of used shoes at consignment - but they are so lightly used they look new and sometimes they still have tags. I think the "used" shoes that get sold are shoes that were almost never worn. You can pretty much tell by looking at them if they have a lot of wear, and I assume you wouldn't buy shoes that LOOK used so while it's not something I do (I only get to consignment twice a year and both times I'm dropping off), I can't see the problem with if it you use common sense.
#22 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 11:14 AM

We buy used cars, furniture, clothes for ds, toys.....but never socks, undies, or shoes (except rubber boots).
DS still fits his shoes from spring but the velcro doesn't work now. I always buy shoes just slightly big and they last quite a while. I figure I save buying 90% of his clothes used so I can put that money to getting a good pair of StrideRite or Geox or the like.
Really 6months of wear is ok in my mind as for myself and hubby usually annually we get new shoes for ourselves.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#23 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM

The only new shoes my younger kids have ever had were their first pair of Robeez (the next sizes up I bought used) and their cheapo dollar store knock off crocs.
All the rest have been used. Bought at yard sales and thrift stores, some in perfect shape, some pretty ratty (which suits 6 y/o DS just fine as he wears the carp out of anything he owns pretty quickly. Seriously, this kid can LOOK pair of pants and they'll rip!) Two summers ago I bought four pairs of sneaks for DD at a yard sale for 50 cents apiece, they were all brand name, in very good condition, their were two size 11's and two 12's, she's gone through the 11's and I freecycled them, and now she's on to the 12's. So that's $1 per year in sneakers for her .
I found a pair of Geox for $4 for DS and assorted pairs of LL Bean hiking boots and loafers for them and me for a few dollars a pair.
Now, my oldest DS gets new shoes which he helps pay for, but I buy his football cleats new so it probably works out money wise in the end.
#24 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 PM

I buy shoes on sale whenever I can. Our kids wear a mix of new and used. Used shoes are very lightly worn, and handed down from family. Often they are dress shoes, or shoes that match a particular outfit, and they aren't worn a lot.

I can't imagine that a used shoe in a quality brand with no visible wear is worse for a child's feet than a pair of $3 flip flops from Old Navy.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#25 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by childsplay View Post
I found a pair of Geox for $4 for DS and assorted pairs of LL Bean hiking boots and loafers for them and me for a few dollars a pair.
This reminds me to mention warehouse sales. I've gone to Geox warehouse sales and found really great deals. You have to be patient and willing to hunt, and get your elbows out to deal with the crowds though. The shoes are all new though, and though the prices aren't as good as $4 per pair, they are very reasonable compared to retail. They are held about once a year and I've seen them advertised in our local community newspaper.
#26 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM

I'll get used shoes for Ellie as long as they aren't too worn.

Rachel, mom to Eliana (age 3)
#27 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 03:08 PM

I used to buy used shoes for myself -- gently used -- all the time. Then I developed a nerve problem in one foot and my doctor thought it was related.

So, being sensitive on this one, we don't buy used shoes, even though I kind of agree that a lot of kids outgrow them before they're fully worn (although at 3, my son was walking around so much he did a number on his). I don't buy the ultra-cheap ones either, since our budget allows that.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#28 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
We buy used shoes as long as they're lightly used.

I would rather buy quality used shoes than brand new and inferior shoes, JMO. My kids are also really hard on shoes and the cheap ones don't hold up very well.
This is how I feel. My daughter isn't even 2, for crying out loud, I am not going to spend $50 on a pair of shoes that she will be able to wear for a month or two.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#29 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 03:32 PM

When he's this young and growing fast, I get used shoes and handmedowns. Especially sandals and snow boots! They barely wear them.

We'll see how it goes as he gets older. But if he ever does sports or need specific gym shoes or something, I will get new ones to better fit his feet for those activities.
#30 of 62 Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm in the "no b/c of wear pattern" camp.

DS went to see a physical therapist b/c he had trouble keeping his balance while standing still (actually, the school sent us to a developmental Dr b/c DS was excessively wiggly and bumping into people in line; she sent us to the physical therapist b/c his stance looked a bit funny and she didn't think he had ADhD.) After looking at DS walk the PT asked to see his shoes. They weren't that old, certainly not what I would call worn out looking, but they told her a ton about how he walked and stood.

It isn't just about the treads of the rubber soles being rubbed down. It is also the soft foam insole taking on the form of the previous occupants feet, which happens pretty fast.

If your child truly has problematic feet, s/he may need orthotics. DS wears them now (yes, they cured the wiggles) and I just take out the foam insole that come in pretty cheap shoes, and put in the orthotics. It just transforms his cheap shoes into really good ones. I buy him much cheaper shoes now than I did before the orthotics.

Another problem with buying used shoes especially online, is lack of selection. When I take DS shoe shopping, I pull at least a half dozen shoes off the shelf that he likes the looks of for him to try on and walk around in. If I took him to the thrift shop they might have 3 pairs in his size. Of those three pair, one might be very worn and another might be disliked by DS for fashion reasons. That leaves only one pair for DS to try on, and nothing to compare it against to see which is most comfortable. Obviously if I was ordering them from online he wouldn't get to try them on at all.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page