Quick.... would you take sick kids to a Halloween event today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 4 kids are all sick 2 of them just a minor cough no fever but the 2 littles (1 and 2.5) have croup, no fever though and besides a nasty cough they seem okay just a little crankier than usual but they are much happier if we are out doing something than staying at home.

So would you take your kids out to a fun Halloween event with games and bounce houses at the zoo(the temp will be (50-60F) just for maybe 1-2 hours.

I'm torn part of me thinksl the fresh air, sunshine and distraction will do them good, part of me thinks taking them out in the colder weather wouldn't be so good for them, but they will be in a stroller just relaxing and riding around for the most part

they have no fevers so I do not belive they are contagious

What would you do???

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#2 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 AM

No, I wouldn't. Not having a fever doesn't mean they're not contagious, and it's not fair to knowingly expose other people to illness, for a non-necessary event. If they needed fresh air, I'd consider a nice walk in a non-crowded place like a park, where they aren't likely to be in contact with other kids.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 AM

I wouldn't. It sounds like there's still a chance that they're contagious to me, and that would be a really easy avenue to share those germs with a lot of other people at once. Fresh air probably would do them good, but I'd stick to the backyard or a walk around the block.
#4 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probably not. Warm, moist air helps with croup, not cold air. Croup is caused by a virus, which would mean that it's likely you would be spreading it around.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
No, I wouldn't. Not having a fever doesn't mean they're not contagious, and it's not fair to knowingly expose other people to illness, for a non-necessary event. If they needed fresh air, I'd consider a nice walk in a non-crowded place like a park, where they aren't likely to be in contact with other kids.
In total agreement!
#6 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

thank you, I knew I shouldnt take them but just needed to hear it, we will take a nice walk today instead!

#7 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Actually cold air is what helps croup. That is why kids often get better on the way to the hospital.

I have no problems taking my sick child out for a walk all bundled up if it is cold-I too believe that getting out into the fresh air is an excellent tonic. Not though where we will be around lots of other people.

But, croup is contagious, it can be downright dangerous for some kids, and it means my kid is up ALL NIGHT coughing and so am I. So that would make me mad.
#8 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM

No way. Sick kids belong at home. If they need some sunshine and fresh air, let them play in the yard. Taking sick children to any event is inconsiderate to the other people and children there. Please keep your sick kids home.
#9 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Nope, I wouldn't.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#10 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Absolutely NOT. Croup can be really really bad for infants. And you never know if one of the people in attendance is immune compromised. As the mom of an immune compromised child, I would be irate if my healthy child got croup and ended up hospitalized because someone else couldn't skip an event when they were sick. That, and attending any event when sick and miserable doesn't sound fun for the child.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#11 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
I'm torn part of me thinksl the fresh air, sunshine and distraction will do them good, part of me thinks taking them out in the colder weather wouldn't be so good for them, but they will be in a stroller just relaxing and riding around for the most part
i can so relate to this. many times taking dd outside on a break from laying at home being sick has actually helped her recovery.

however i have never ever taken her to a public place when she was sick. it was always on a walk looking at the lights or something away from people.

one time i took her to the movies when her fever was gone for over 24 hours but she still wasnt feeling 'good'. that movie break really cheered her up and she came home feeling much much better.

so no i would not take them, which i know sucks. but no not events where there might be a possibility that she will want to join others and jump around.

i would much rather err on being too overcautious rather than under.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM

No its not fun to be out and about when I am sick so I would not do that to my kids. I also try really hard not to take kids I know are sick out to infect other people/kids.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#13 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 03:34 PM

I follow a few simple guidelines on whether or not to take my kids out:

- if I think behavior will be an issue, it's no.
Unacceptable behavior is exactly that, unacceptable. It ruins my enjoyment of an activity if I have to keep stopping for constant discipline, and it disrupts every other person around us. If it's going to happen, I'd much rather deal with it at home.

- if any of us (the ones going) is sick, it's no.
There's no excuse for me to take my 6yo to the playground so she can cough and sneeze all over the equipment and other kids. There's no excuse for me going out to eat if I'm going to be coughing and sneezing all over the table, chairs, food, and other guests. Even if I'm just having a really bad day with allergies, I try to limit my contact with other people.

- if anyone in our house is currently contagious, it's no.
Even if we're showing no signs of being sick, we could be carrying something from a contagious family member. I actually try to give it at least a week after the sick person gets well before we do anything public.

- if I have to think more than twice about it, it's no.
Thinking twice is natural for me, I'm constantly second-guessing myself. But if I go past that, I know there's something about it that's really bugging me, and that usually means there's a reason to not do it (even if I can't put my finger on exactly what that reason is).

Nikole ~ mom of NJ (10/98), TJ (10/04), and AJ (12/09)
#14 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

well we didn't go to the zoo and took a nice walk then enjoyed the sunshine and falling leaves in our backyard for an hour now the 2 littles are napping and the olders are playing in the leaves. It ended up being a beautiful day 65 and sunny, thanks for all your input mamas

#15 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 PM

I am in Ohio too and that sounds like a lovely day.
#16 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
oooooooh that sounds just LOVELY!!!! a perfect activity for sick/recovering kids.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#17 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Nope. I hope they feel better asap

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#18 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 PM

No, I think they'll enjoy the Halloween stuff more when they're feeling better. I just had a flashback to when I had the flu on Halloween in kindergarten.

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#19 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly my kids couch all winter. I had walking pneumonia for 4 months. All it was was a nasty cough. If we stayed home every time one of us had a nagging cough we would never get out the door.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#20 of 20 Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 AM

I would not.Even if not contagious they would be in a weakened stated,which could allow a disease to gain a foot hold in them. Secondary infections were often the cause of serious complications.

Speedy recovery and hope you find something good to replace the missed event with.I have come across indoor bouncies,and ofcourse all the farm fall festivals.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page