Trick-or-treating age cutoff? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
One time a woman came to our apartment with a bunch of kids ToTing. She was wearing a black top and cat ears, the way moms will often semi-dress up. After giving the kids some candy, I offered her some too. At some point I asked her how old her kids were. She looked completely shocked...

The oldest boy (10ish looking) told me she was their 12 yo big sister!
When I was that age my brother, 9 at the time, and I were going inside to use a restroom while on vacation and a guy told him to hold the door for his mom. I think the possible thirty year old was probably actually a teen, maybe dressed up to look older, and was tired of being given a hard time. Losing your cool and swearing about people are really common for teenagers from what I remember at that age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
When I was that age my brother, 9 at the time, and I were going inside to use a restroom while on vacation and a guy told him to hold the door for his mom. I think the possible thirty year old was probably actually a teen, maybe dressed up to look older, and was tired of being given a hard time. Losing your cool and swearing about people are really common for teenagers from what I remember at that age.
I promise you, she was no teen.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM

I don't feel there should be an age cut-off. For one thing, if a bunch of people got snooty about about no one TorTing past age 12, for instance, then a lot of tall 10 year olds are going to get hassled. And a lot of petite kids could "get away" with it well into their teens or even adulthood. Plus, there are a lot of kids out there that maybe look "too old" but are developmentally much younger. You never know. And I don't really think it's right to judge who's too old to get candy.

I'm fine with teens TorTing as long as they are polite and not causing disturbances.

I went well into my teens. My 5 year old prefers to stay home and hand out candy. It evens out.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I can't imagine discouraging a child who still wants to go. Here, we get a huge age range - from teeny babies who are asleep in mom's arms to teenagers. As long as everyone is polite, I am fine with it. Who doesn't like free candy?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
Honestly, I think our society places a lot of pressure on kids to grow up too fast. I think it's great when teens want to go trick or treating. It's much better than other things they could be doing (like pumpkin smashing, egging, ringing doorbells and running, etc--things teens in my old neighborhood did). I love a good piece of candy and I have no problem giving candy to teens. Growing up is hard. Teens and preteens receive so many messages about what they should or shouldn't be doing and I think most of this stuff should be left up to the children. For example, a nine year old may decide that she's not interested in trick or treating. A 17 or 18 year old may look forward to the experience all year long. To me it's like a lot of other things. For instance, my 11 year old DSD LOVES playing with baby dolls. My niece who is roughly the same age has zero interest in baby dolls. I'm not going to encourage my DSD to stop playing with dolls. She'll stop when she's ready to stop.

I remember crying when I was 12 because it was the last year I could go trick or treating. I felt like I was being forced to let go of a part of my childhood before I was ready to.
Exactly!!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
I just read on yahoo this morning that one town in Illinois that fines you $100 if you are caught ToT over the age of 12. That is just wrong to me.
Yeah I heard about that on The View. What a bunch of bs!!!

User Tag List