Name spin-off...Do your kids' names "match"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not necessarily like "Julie" and "Julian" or "Simon" and "Garfunkel" but, when you chose your 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or so on) kid's names, did you consider your first child's name and how they fit together?
#2 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, though we didn't set out to do it. Dd1 and dd2 had "matching" names without us thinking about it, then it seemed like dd3 should, too. We didn't "match" ds's name with theirs, but if we have any more boys, we'll give them the "n" ending, too. We also stick with Irish/Scottish/English origin.
#3 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Yeah.... our first ds1's name means water... so our 2nd ds' name means fire. That way they can put themselves out
#4 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Nope, not a fan of matchy names. We purposely made sure they didn't start with the same letter or rhyme.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Well, I really wanted River for a girl-baby this time around and couldn't have done it because it didn't 'match' with the other girl's more traditional names - we decided that Annabel, Juliet, Natalie, Margaret and River just sounded weird! Lucky he was a boy, so no regrets.

We like longer, traditional names with lots of nickname options, so they all match in that way. We didn't think too hard about meanings or anything.

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
#6 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Not even slightly unless you look at the fact that they both have a double letter (not the same one) somewhere in the middle. Matching names are... uhm... not something I would do to my kids.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#7 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM

We wanted names from the Hebrew Bible, but beause that is our heritage, not because we wanted them to match. I don't like the idea of matching names. The kid should be considered an individual. Just because you have a Louisa doesn't mean you can't have a Willow.
#8 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 PM

They match in some respects, but they were not consciously chosen to sound good together or some such.
#9 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Nope.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#10 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Sort of.

Franklin is a stronger name so we wanted his brother to have something strong as well...he will be Jonathan (when he gets here!)

We also gave them both unique middle names.
Franklin Gaudelio
Jonathan Boswell

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#11 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 PM

None of my childrens names intentionally go together but I guess they are all older names and I think they sound nice together. Three of them have a C/K name, which was not intentional, and I did try to think of a C/K name for my other kids because of it. I almost named my second the reverse of my first (using my first son's middle name as my second son's first and vice versa) but that as just because I couldn't think of any more boys names that I liked.
#12 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Kinda, I wanted a 4 letter name for DS because DH, mine and DD's all have 4 letters. It's kinda funny we all have and N in our name.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#13 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, we only have one so far, but for our next I'm trying to go for the same... vibe? Nothing as matchy as alliteration, rhyming or whatever, but names of a similar heritage (ie ours: Anglo-Saxon/Irish/Scottish), and that just sound good together. I think it'd sound odd to have kids called, say, Tiffanee-Krystal and Gertrude... or James, John and Tyrone. You know?

F'rinstance, DD is Rowan. If this next babe is a boy I really like Robin, but I think Rowan and Robin sounds a bit funny together. Too similar. So that's out.

My parents did all Bible names for us, which is semi-noticeable because there are six of us and we're all girls. Funnily enough, the youngest is Abigail (Abby), and a lot of people don't know that's a Bible name. So we got a lot of comments about how my parents "broke the mold" or "ran out" with her. She married King David, but I guess she's not as well-known as Sarah or Ruth!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Unfortunately, yes. They're twins and we had one girl name we liked and one boy we liked and no plans for more children so we used them. We figure they'll be together for 18 years and then on their own. Our daughter has ended up with a shortened version of her name which has helped.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#15 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 PM

My girls have sort of matchy names but not really intentional until this one i'm having now.
They are all 5 letter names that end in A. So our requirement for a girl name this time around was it had to have a unique letter and end in A (and sound good with the others).
So we will have Keira, Anika, Maria, Jorja. The boys don't match, but the requirement IF this baby was a boy is still starting with a unique letter and can't end in the same endings as the boys names. So we were going for NOT matchy for the boys. Our boys are Cayden and Traver.

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
#16 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Yes, I think they do.

All four of our children have a three-syllable first name. The first two kids both have first names with seven letters. They all have "older" names as well.

None of their names start with the same letter or rhyme, however.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#17 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezix View Post
Our boys are Cayden and Traver.
To me, those kind of match. Where Traver and Billy wouldn't match. But, Cayden and Traver match.. or at least go together.

Does that make sense?

Our neighbors each got to pick a name for their girls. One likes very traditional names and she picked Nancy. Her wife picked Ryder for the other daughter. I had a stupid look on my face when they told me the second girl was named Ryder... (I LOVE that name) But, it just didn't match with Nancy. So.. out of pity for me, they explained that they couldn't agree on name types, so they each got one child to name.
#18 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 PM

My first (girl) starts with a K and is two sylables, second (boy) starts with a C and has two sylables. We didn't know what either was before they were here so it just worked out that those are the names for girl/boy that pregnancy. (ds would have started with a B and had one sylable had he been a girl). We knew ds2 would be a boy and just couldn't see naming him something out of the form once we had the first two (he was unplanned but oh so welcome). We had other considerations too though. Our first two have bright red hair and there isn't any on either side of the families going back at least three generations. So we just couldn't name him something very differrent and then what if he didn't have red hair? He has very strawberry blonde hair but his name is oh so him!
#19 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM

My girls are Everly and Maisie. I think they go together but aren't super matchy.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#20 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Our boys' names start with M and N. We are continually asked if this baby will have an "O" name. It doesn't really help that my niece's name starts with L!

My sister and I have matchy names: Courtney and Whitney. Not a huge fan!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#21 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 PM

I only think they go together because they are said often together, yk? But they all four have 2-syllables, and the 3 boys' names end in N. That's all I can come up with.

(Denae, Nathan, Jayden, and Lincoln)

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#22 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 PM

I had to post to this because my DS REALLY REALLY REALLY wants matching names with his brother. As in he wants the new baby to share his first and last name.

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#23 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, sort of. Both are farmer child kind of names. Easy to spell, easy to say and easy on the eyes when written on paper.
#24 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM

My kids names do match. We didn't plan it with the first two. We had always said that for a boy we liked the name Elijah and for a girl we liked Olivia. So we had the boy first and named him Elijah and then when we had a girl we went with Olivia. Afterwards we realized they are kind of matchy. They both start with a vowel, they both have an L as the second letter/sound, and they both end with the ah sound. So when we were pregnant with our third we kind of tried to stick with the theme and thus Eliana was born. Thankfully we are done having kids because I don't think we could come up with another name to match!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#25 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM

Well, sort of... Both of my step-children are S names by complete coincidence....

As for my kids, when I got pregnant with my son, we loved the name Elijah (or Eli for short) and we knew he would have the same middle name as DH since it's tradition to use the same middle name for all the boys in his family (I hate it but the middle name really doesn't matter all that much to me so I gave in) so ultimately, they had the same initials. Fast forward to 3 years later and I find out I am pregnant with a girl... by pure coincidence the 2 names we like best are both E names. Eva and Eden. When we realized that we would have 3 E names we decided why not finish the cutesy stuff and give her the same initials as DH and DS (ERY) and it just so happens that her middle name is a name that DH and I loved but would never use as a first name because it could be shortened to a name we both despise. If we get pregnant again, I honestly don't know if it will be another ERY name though... it was more coincidence then it was planned so probably not.... but then I would worry he/she would feel left out.

ETA: And the Biblical thing was COMPLETELY a coincidence too... We are the furthest thing from religious, lol.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#26 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM

They don't yet. I don't even know how well they go together.

Gray
Elsa

If we have one more girl and one more boy, I'd like Greta and Elijah - so it's be two Gr names and two E names. I really liked Greta, but I didn't want to have two Gr names in a row, that felt way too matchy. (And I must have a thing for Gr names because I also love Graham)

Mama to three

#27 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wanted to avoid names that matched in the sense that they rhymed or began with the same letter or sounded similar or followed some sort of theme. (For instance, I didn't want #2 to have a plant name, since DD's is a tree.) I did kind of want them to go together in being the same type of name. DD's is uncommon but sort of classic sounding, and it seemed like it would be good to pick something for the second kid that was also uncommon but not weird. But in the end we decided we liked a very well known classic name better than any of the other possibilities we considered, and we didn't really care that much that it didn't exactly match the type of name we used for #1. (I don't think they sound totally weird together, though - not like Nancy and Ryder.)
#28 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Two of them are named after really amazing famous men who worked together and so they match in that regard. They all have more traditional, classical names so their names do seemed matched in that regard. They all have a nice ring to them.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#29 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM

Kind of. My kids have gender specific first names, and gender neutral nicknames. James is called Jamie, and Alexandra is called Alex.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#30 of 96 Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

They don't match but I think they sound good together and go together. They are traditional, sorta old but not really. They sound right together.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page