What do your kids call their great grandparents? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My grandmother and grandfather want my son to call them grandma and grandpa. Which is ok, but it makes it confusing when my parents are around. I think my grandmother 'only' in her 70's is having a hard time trading in her grandma status for great-grandmother hood.

Just curious what names your kiddo's have!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids only have one and they call her Oma, same as I do. No one else in my family is refered to as Oma so it works for us. It I called her grandma then it would be REALLY confusing. Poor kids already have to differentiate between Grandma, 2 Grandpas, Abuelo and Abuelita lol.
#3 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 PM

They refer to all grandparents and great grandparents as grandma and papaw, and usually that is followed by the last name of the grandparent...Grandma Smith, Grandma Johnson etc etc.
#4 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 PM

I don't know about great grandfathers but we call our grandmothers G.G. and Nana.

Loving my little family life with DH of 6 years and DD 12/22/09. Cloth diapering, exclusive nursing, whole food eating, summer loving public school teacher.
#5 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobin View Post
I don't know about great grandfathers but we call our grandmothers G.G. and Nana.
That's what we use too...G.G. and Nana. We have only one great grandfather left, and we refer to him as Pa.
#6 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 PM

The great grandparents in our family are known as:
Great Grammy, Great Grandma Jean, Great Grandpa Adrian--They all get "greats"
#7 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM

We call DH's Grandmother, Grandma and my DD calls her that too because there DH's mother is Nana.

My mom is Nanny and her mom was Nanny to us so DD calls her Great Nanny.

I called my great grandmother "Old Nanny".

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#8 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM

In my family, grandparents in general tend to end up with 'grandma names'--for instance, my maternal grandmother is Maga. Great-grandkids just use the already existing 'grandma name' for the great-grandparent.

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#9 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 02:22 PM

our grandparents are called Grandma + first name

We went with this so that they and we could distinguish a specific person more easily in conversation. There were so many grandmas and adding the last name didn't add much clarity.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#10 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Dd's only really met one great grandparent, dh's grandmother. Who is her savta-raba and is called that. The grandma name is "Savta" but everyone of the generation to use that just use it with that generation. (E.g. dh's mom will tell me "Savta is doing thus and such" and then I might tell dd "Savta says that Savta-raba is doing thus and such.")

As for your issue, if you just include a name with the grandpas and grandmas it'd sort things out nicely for your kids. Grandpa Mark is daddy's daddy, Grandpa John is Grandpa Mark's daddy. That sort of thing.
#11 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymamatoo View Post
That's what we use too...G.G. and Nana. We have only one great grandfather left, and we refer to him as Pa.
Another one here who uses G.G. and Nana.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#12 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All the grandparents chose different grandparent "names" for themselves (etc: Mimi, Nana, Papa, Grandpa, etc), so DS will refer to his great-grandparents the same way that we (DH & I) referred to them growing up because there's no overlap in those names. But there is some overlap in grandpas, so we'll do the Grandpa FirstName there.

As a child, all my grandparents went by the same "name"--ie, the equivalent of grandma & grandpa--but they all lived in different cities, so I distinguished them by city instead of by first name.

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)
#13 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Great great grandma has not been me yet, but she is "Tatarra-buela". Great grandma is "Awa" (Abuela, but Awa stuck) and Great Grandpa is "Bisa" (Bisabuelo).

Grandparents are Grandma and Grandpa now
(DD used to call them by their names as a result of MILs coaxing)

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#14 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 05:13 PM

While she was alive, my kids called my grandmother "Pra" which is the "great" part of Great-grandmother in Russian.
#15 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM

There's a show called "Little Bill" where the kids called their great grandmother Alice the Great. I always thought that was cute.
#16 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM

GiGi (That's the way we spell G.G., short for great-grandma.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#17 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 05:39 PM

We do grandma-lastname and grandpa-lastname. We have one set of greats and 2 regular sets. However, since my parents visit more frequently they go by just Grandma and Grandpa during visits. I only use the grandma-lastname when talking about them.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#18 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another GiGi here - and the other one, the one that all the adults involved (us, grandparents) actually have a comfortable relationship with, is called by her first name and loves it.
#19 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Grandpa Walter is one left on one side and my grandmother announced one day she was now "Nana". It was what we called her mother.

There's always "Gangee" and "pop-pop"!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#20 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 PM

abuelita firstname, granny and grandpa for the three greatgrandparents (which is what i call them as my grandparents). grantparents are referred to by first name, as am i.

raising my two sunshine children.

#21 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
All the grandparents chose different grandparent "names" for themselves (etc: Mimi, Nana, Papa, Grandpa, etc), so DS will refer to his great-grandparents the same way that we (DH & I) referred to them growing up because there's no overlap in those names.
Same for us. My grandparents are Mom and Pop, Granny and Pawpaw. Dh's are Poppy and Memaw and Gram. That's what we called them growing up so that is what our kids call them.

Dh and my parents became Grumps and Nauna, Ama and Papa Chuck, Oma and Opa, and Granpa [ourlastname].

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#22 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 PM

our extended family named themselves so we have:

grandma and grandpa (my parents)
oma and opa (dh's parents)
gigipa and gigima (my maternal grandparents)
nana and poppa (my paternal grandparents)
great grandma peters (my dh's maternal grandmother)

my kids have not seemed to have any issues keeping all these folks straight!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#23 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 PM

My ILs are Mawmaw and Pawpaw, so my parents are just Grandma and Grandpa. When I was little I called all my grandparents Grandma/Grandpa Firstname (three sets of them!). DD1 calls them the same thing.

I think the cutest grandparent names I ever heard were Grandlady and Grandman.

Me , DH , Emmy (5/08), and new baby Tilda (1/10)
#24 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 PM

My DD is too young to call them anything, but I call my grandparents Grammy, Grampy, and Gran so I assume that she will call them the same thing.

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#25 of 45 Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM

Nana and Papa (my parents)
Grandma and Grandpa "LastName" (dh's parents)
Grandma "LastName" (my maternal grandma)
Mimi (my paternal grandma)
Great Grandpa and Granny (his paternal grandparents)
Grandma Lastname (his maternal grandma)

My great grandparents were Mama (proncounced mum-all) and Papa (pop-all)

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#26 of 45 Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlecouple View Post
There's a show called "Little Bill" where the kids called their great grandmother Alice the Great. I always thought that was cute.
Now I feel like a big goof! I forgot to add that MY great grandmother (so the kiddos great-great grandmother) we all refer to as Jackie the Great. I called her that growing up (as did all the great grandkids - which is a lot...she had 16 children, all of which had 3+, who in turn had I don't know how many...). Now I feel rotten for leaving her out in my original post.
#27 of 45 Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwatt View Post
My DD is too young to call them anything, but I call my grandparents Grammy, Grampy, and Gran so I assume that she will call them the same thing.
we run into this as well... it's hard for me to call grandma anything else-- I mean, it's her name, after all. That being said, she was really insistent that my mom be called the equivalent of 'big momma' which neither my mom or I liked. So they both ended up being called grandma. We tried 'super grandma', but I have a hard time remembering that myself.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#28 of 45 Old 10-31-2010, 01:33 AM

My grandmother and grandfather are "Gigi" and "Fafi"-- Gigi is for G.G., and Fafi is because when my generation was young they insisted on a very formal "Grandmother" and "Grandfather." Fafi was the best some of the babies could do with Grandfather.
Posted via Mobile Device

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#29 of 45 Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 AM

We are blessed in that my kids have a great great grandma that is still alive. She has always been known as just Grandma by everyone, I guess I grew up hearing my Dad call her Grandma cause she was his Grandma and so that's what all us great grandkids call her too.
We insert last names after the Grandma to make it clear who it is. It would be a mouthful for the kids to have to say " great great grandma" every time. LOL

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#30 of 45 Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 AM

My kids only have two surviving great-grandparents, and they've only met one of them - twice. They call her "Nana", just as I always did.

I had two living great-grandmothers when I was a child. My mom's paternal grandmother was "Great Granny" (and she loved that - she was like a grandma from a storybook - bun, apron, rocking chair, baking, etc.). My dad's paternal grandmother was "Great Grandma *lastname*".

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page