Mums of Many it's November! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wouldn't feel guilty about hiring someone.  In the "good old days" someone would have had an extra teenage girl they would have sent over to help.  What's wrong with using someone temporarily for some specific tasks?

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

I don't feel like I have trouble making time for each of my older three, but I feel bad for the baby.  He doesn't like the sling, so that means he's usually in the baby swing during the day.  I change him and nurse him and snuggle and then I have to put him back down to get back to cooking, cleaning, homeschooling, etc.  He seems happy enough (and we co-sleep at night) but I feel like I'm shortchanging him.  I hope he warms up to the sling soon :/

Have you tried other carriers? My fourth and fifth both hated the sling for a while. My fourth loved the ergo (with her legs frogged up) and my fifth loves the wrap and baby k'tan which is my new favorite carrier. He likes to have his legs free and has since he was just a few weeks old. My fourth decided she liked the sling when she was old enough to be on my hip but still prefers the Ergo at 2.

Not yet, I do have a Mei Tai somewhere in my closet, though!  I can sneak him in sometimes if he falls asleep nursing.  I'm hoping now that he's about big enough and strong enough to sit forward facing in it with his legs froggied he'll like it more!  can't cook that way, but at least then I could do laundry and sweep and that kind of stuff! 

Kat, don't feel guilty!  If I could afford it, I'd hire someone to come clean every week. 

Jenny, happy belated birthday!  Sorry to hear about the issues with your oldest.  I empathize, my 9 year old has really been a handful lately and it's wearing me out.  *hug*

Welcome, greenthumb!

And grats again to AM, I hope she and the babies are doing well! 

#33 of 46 Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM

Anyone notice its the "oldest" having a hard time with behavior?  Juct curious if it has any impact on what we're going through with my almost 10 yo daughter???  But my mom  says I'm just getting my "payback" and also that she is becoming more independant and what EVERYONE to realize that.  It is entirely EXHAUSTING!! 

I wish we could hire someone to help with cleaning, but not an option for us.  It also bothers me quite a bit if I wake up and there's mess......just hard when I'm sooo tired to stay up just to red up *roll* LOL.  If only we were the "jetsons" LOL!!

Jessica knit.gif and familybed2.gif mamma to dd 9/09, ds 10/07, ds 2/05, angel1.gif10/03, ds 3/03, dd 12/00, expecting #6  2ndtri.gif  in June 2011. Furrbabies: 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 5 guinnea pigs
#34 of 46 Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM

My oldest is a boy. He will 14 at the end of January. He sleeps forever. I always needed more sleep. But, it is so annoying. We homeschool and it takes him forever to get anything done. All the boys share a room and he is always yelling at the youngest son.

I am so frustrated. I wish he would drink coffee or something. He is such a grouch.

It is almost 10 and he turned the lights out and is back in bed. He is bigger than me and I cannot force him to get up. I don't really have anything to take away either.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#35 of 46 Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
 I wish he would drink coffee or something. 

Have you suggested it? I was drinking coffee when I was his age.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#36 of 46 Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Every morning. All the other kids like coffee. I even let my 1 year old put her finger in my coffee. I want to make sure they like when they are older:wink

He doesn't like energy drinks either.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#37 of 46 Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM

Not new here but haven't posted in awhile- my last post was I think back in Sept and Daisy420 and SandyBeachBums that was what my last post was exactly about! My very oldest (DD17) is a lot better now than say 2 years ago but DS-16 and DD-12 are driving me bonkers! And when they act up/get going the youngers try and pull the same stuff w/us! Wish I had some advice but I live on a dream (mostly DS) will grow up and move out soon.I have hope/faith DD12 will grow out of it- we went through simular exps w/DD17, and we've all made it out alive and now we have a good relationship and she's successful in many ways but DS16 is a different story (and just w/exp seeing my bro- 9 yrs younger than me) and I don't think he'll "grow out of it" before he's an adult.

Hugs to you both. Teenagers are proving to be harder in some ways than youngers.

#38 of 46 Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachBums View Post

Every morning. All the other kids like coffee. I even let my 1 year old put her finger in my coffee. I want to make sure they like when they are older:wink

He doesn't like energy drinks either.

Pesky. Have you talked to him about things you want him to get done and how he thinks he can make it happen?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#39 of 46 Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy420 View Post

Anyone notice its the "oldest" having a hard time with behavior?  Juct curious if it has any impact on what we're going through with my almost 10 yo daughter???  But my mom  says I'm just getting my "payback" and also that she is becoming more independant and what EVERYONE to realize that.  It is entirely EXHAUSTING!! 

My 9 year old is our oldest and definitely have a hard time with her behavior, uggh.

#40 of 46 Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Firsts are the hardest usually, aren't they?

I've been reading Dr Kevin Leman's books on parenting and I really do like them.  I'm taking notes.  Honestly, I feel freed by the constant reminders from him that I don't have to ask things more than once or react to bad behavior (esp with older kids) but that the next time they ask for something (he says "I don't care if it's toilet paper") the answer is a simple "no."  I'm enjoying the moment when I get to say the no, satisfied that I didn't yell or get angry.  I actually feel like my parenting in the past couple of weeks has been much improved and I'm feeling hopeful.  

Kat, I had a best friend with four kids who was single for a while, and I was truthfully thinking how she could move in with us and be a second wife : )  I would LOVE to hire some help- housecleaning, a mother's helper, anything!- but we can't afford it.  Sorry to hear you have a needy baby, that's hard with so much to do.  

The mess and noise of the big family are the hardest parts for me.  Four coats on the floor, four kids tracking in mud, etc...

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#41 of 46 Old 12-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Pesky. Have you talked to him about things you want him to get done and how he thinks he can make it happen?

Oh goodness yes. We meet once a week to discuss schooling and life stuff. Of course, I talk to him the rest of the week as well. We have had some steps forward here and there. He just doesn't get how to not waste so much of his time. I was discussing it with my Grammy and she thinks he needs to get out for a good walk every day. I am thinking of starting melantonin with him (any other sleep aids anyone recommends) because I don't think he fully sleeps. I think he wakes up a lot at night and never gets the real rest he needs. He had a horrible day this week and fell asleep by 7pm. He got up once and ate something. But, went directly back to bed. He woke up and was so much nicer.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#42 of 46 Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Snowed in during a blizzard.  Yuck.  Daughters' ballet performance has been canceled.  They are so disappointed.  I think we are going to try to decorate the tree. 

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#43 of 46 Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM

anyone still posting here?  new to the forums.  homeschooling/unschooling mama to five kids ages 11, 8, 5, 3, and 1, and also raising my niece(3) and nephew(2).  would love to chat with other busy moms!

#44 of 46 Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Im new here as well.  Lets get this group back up and running!  I'm a mama to 6 children.  4 girls and 2 boys.   We will be starting our first year of homeschool.  So excited!!!!  We live in North Dakota where my husband is an eletrician and Im a birth doula, soon to be breastfeeding counselor and student midwife. 

Amber ~  Wife to Justin ~ Mama to Kaydra ~ Houston ~ Kaitlyn ~ Kaydence ~ Carter ~ Kourtney

#45 of 46 Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Im here! 5 boys in my family, ages 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2. They keep me BUSY! School starts up in two wks (I soooo mss home schooling) so we are gradually starting back up into a more strict schedule. I dread the 5:45 wake ups! The bus comes sooooo early! Any solutions for smoother mornings? I am not a morning person as it is.....and two of my eldest are MISERABLE in mornings, even with the 8 pm bedtime!

#46 of 46 Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 AM

I dont have any solutions for that.  We had the same problems with getting up in the morning.  Im going to love this new schedule of sleeping in an hour later and starting school at 8.  I used to get the kids up at 6am and the bus was at our door by 7:40.  Now we're going to sleep in until 7am. 

Amber ~  Wife to Justin ~ Mama to Kaydra ~ Houston ~ Kaitlyn ~ Kaydence ~ Carter ~ Kourtney

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page