I was that mother getting the sideways looks - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! They come with the kids combo at the movie theatres here. kid sized popcorn, pop and kinder egg. We have stacks of them. There are also lots of European grocery stores that carry the imported chocolates....lots of kinder eggs.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Close enough for a weekend getaway!!
Then what you do is buy the eggs, and open them in Canada, that way the only thing you are talking back across the border are neat little toys.

It really sucks that Kinder eggs are completely illegal in the US. And really is the toy actually embedded in the chocolate? Last time I checked the chocolate and the surprise are completely separate, the chocolate just happens to be encircling the toy.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 AM

I'm in Toronto and would send your DD some.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
She, in her typically level headed way said, "Mommy, you can't help it. You didn't know. But I think I'm going to cry."

I told her that I felt like crying, too, but was too mad to cry. I said, "Cry all you want, honey. Don't worry about what others think." She rarely cries, but really let loose with some serious, quiet sobbing. Nothing VOCAL, but if you saw us in the airport, you would have seen me rushing her to our connection as she just hung on to my hand with huge tears rolling down her face. And I was P.I.S.S.E.D. OFF! So, I'm sure I was not wearing a smile.

I was so touched when I read this part. You really empathized with your daughter and gave her permission to do what she needed to do. You let her cry and get her feelings out; even when you felt that others were looking at you and judging you. You put your love for your daughter first. I can hear that you feel uncomfortable with what others may have thought. But I think you should feel proud!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to those that offered to send some. I actually ordered some online. Of course, the key is that they get though customs this time. It's a risk, but a small one, as they can't inspect every single package coming across the borders... then again, the security was SO, SO tight, especially in Germany (pat downs, wand scans, the 5th degree, every piece of checked luggage being scanned and tagged to be safe). TBH, I like the added security because I'm already a nervous flier, but in this case, with cargo being scanned, perhaps I should have waited a few months to try to buy them online. If they don't make it, I might take up your offers to send her some after the first of the year (I have paypal or could wire $$). She's still upset about it.

For those who do buy them or bring them into the US - it's luck. They really are illegal. I looked up the law myself (you can google for it). It's a double whammy of the toy parts being a hazard to under 3's (1997 ban) and this 1938 law of no non-food inside food (which I think has nothing to do with a toy inside a piece of food, but really was to protect consumers from shopkeepers doing things like adding sawdust to flour to stretch it, but that's beside the point.)

Once I get my eggs, I'm going to write my representatives and the CPSC (?... whomever it is that is over consumer protection safety).

Thanks again for all of the sympathy.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 PM

are you far from Canada? you can get them over here. i wonder why they're illegal in the U.S.? very odd indeed.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kinder eggs are illegal?! Wow, that's shocking. They are so commonplace where I am (Ontario, Canada). When you go to the movies and get a kids combo you get popcorn, a drink, and a kinder egg. That really sucks that they took them away from you.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM

I didn't know that kinder eggs were illegal! My mother gets them for us from Germany, and has carried them through customs a few times. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM

I don't care at all for Kinder chocolate, but the toys are great I can't believe they're illegal in the US...I had no idea.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Weird, I buy them at my local coffee shop here in the US...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
They are illegal for the below reason. It is an old law that needs to be changed. I use to get them from really nice German man on Ebay, but he was told to stop sending them to the U.S.

Aside from children potentially choking on the toys, the real reason Kinder Eggs are banned is the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938. This Act prohibits the embedding of non-food items completely enclosed inside food items, unless the non-edible part has a functioning value. For example a lollipop or popsicle stick is not edible but is a useful handle. This Act was originally put into place to prevent the addition of hazardous items to processed food and has never been changed.
*sigh*
A simple addition, requiring that any non-food item be clearly identified, would cover that...and Kinder Surprises aren't exactly hiding the fact that they contain a toy!

I love Kinder Surprises and I'm glad they're legal here.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM

It just goes to show though that one can not be too careful when it comes to judging - because one never knows the full story!

How terrible with all that planning! I feel your pain. I had no idea they were illegal in the US. How odd! Would it be illegal of me to post you some?

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
Check local ethnic markets. They sell them at the big Arab market in my town.
Yep. They're sold at the little one in my town. I buy them as stocking stuffers for the kids every Christmas.

After reading this thread, I'll be sure to keep this info on the down-low, that's for sure. I can't imagine that anyone in my relatively small town knows that the eggs are illegal.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Then what you do is buy the eggs, and open them in Canada, that way the only thing you are talking back across the border are neat little toys.

It really sucks that Kinder eggs are completely illegal in the US. And really is the toy actually embedded in the chocolate? Last time I checked the chocolate and the surprise are completely separate, the chocolate just happens to be encircling the toy.
Just encircling.

Quote:
Would it be illegal of me to post you some?
Technically it is. You can keep it off the customs form-- just put "children's knicknacks and puzzles" or something--but if they inspect it, the eggs are gone.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 PM

Ah that sucks! I'm in Canada and they sell them at every grocery checkout around here- Walmart,etc....

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 PM

I live in Mexico, where you can get them easily, and I occasionally take some up with me to mail out to US friends. It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, that they're illegal.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 AM

I myself had eggs taken out of a box my mom had sent over. She was actually visiting when the box arrived and was upset at 1st what the box looked like and 2nd that the eggs were gone. About a week later I got a letter from customs stating that it was illegal to send the eggs into the US and if I wanted them back I could go to court. Well...I chose not to make any troubles for 10 Dollars worth of stuff and we'll just enjoy the eggs whenever we're visiting Oma and Opa. Other than that we'll be happy with Kinderschokolade itself.

joy.gif
Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 AM

To the OP: that will teach your daughter to be honest.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Sorry, OP; sounds like your daughter will have her eggs soon! It is SOOO tricky to know sometimes how honest to be, especially after something like that happens.

This will be useful information the next time I'm in one of those "I would never do anything illegal, no matter how silly/how much I disagree with the law" conversations. We live in Canada and dd loves those eggs, too. I wonder how many people who buy/send/receive them where it's not legal would stop if they knew they were breaking the law. I sure wouldn't.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM

I went to a German restaurant in Virginia and they had kinder eggs. My husband thought I was funny because I was so excited, but my family was stationed in Germany when I was a kid, and these were something special I remembered. Maybe you have a German restaurant nearby.
As for the airport, sometimes the best kids have meltdowns, and I don't always know the details. I really only give sideways looks when there's hitting involved. Nothing like a public spanking to ruin everyone's day.
Hopefully you'll be getting your eggs very soon!!

Married to my loving DH superhero.gif, becoming more and more "crunchy" with age. 
Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM

Now let's all remember this when someone is promoting a new "safety" law.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

User Tag List