Eating "rules" - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

3 meals a day. I make what I make, and you eat it or don't. There are no other options. Breakfast is usually cold cereal or frozen/leftover waffles/pancakes. Lunch is usually leftovers, sandwhiches, hotdogs or chicken nuggets or pizza or something else quite easy (unless I'm making lunch our big meal as DH is going to be at school/work for dinner...). Dinner is the 'big' meal of the day and varies hugely. DS1 never has to eat anything. But what I make is what I make. And I do. not. cater. Period. I do allow some input for certain meals (usually 'what do you want, X or Y?', usually for lunch). But... yeah. It works. Not always fantasticly, but it does work. :shrug

#62 of 77 Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I deleted my post because I didn't realize this was such an old thread.

#63 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

I deleted my post because I didn't realize this was such an old thread.

confused.gif its not that old a thread. it was just started 12 days ago. so please come back and post.

its just dd and me. dd is 8 so our eating habits are completely different than they were at say 3 or 4.

dd is usually a good eater and likes everything i make. or should i say i take her imput to make food. she is open to reason.

so sometimes like this morning she ate icecream for bfast. she hasnt had any in a month. but then seh had a big bowl full of veggie stew.

dd has the kind of personality where its doing lots of it at one time and then a rest for a while. so food issues truly have never been a problem for us.

lately though - her first phase of food issues. no veggies. but when i talk to her seh eats some - maybe twice a week.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#64 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 PM

We eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner together.  We have two snacks together.

You do not have to eat anything I prepare, but you may not have a special meal prepared for you.

You may have any condiments on your food you wish, within reason (if you can spoon it into your mouth, it's not a condiment, so put down the ketchup already, LOL).

Food is a gift and you must treat it with respect: no spitting, throwing, lazy dropping, playing, or mixing playing so that it's inedible as leftovers.

Food is something that was once alive, possibly seasoned with salt.  (Milk and vegetable juices for sauces are halfway there, LOL!)  We eat food at meals and snacks, not other things.

The following are not rules, per se, but I still use them as guiding principles:

We have fresh fruit or vegetables or nuts and dried fruits as appetizers, so the kids get more in that way.  Serve the veggies and fruits first when no other food is available and they'll chow down.

If you don't like what's being served, there's always bread, homemade, whole-wheat sourdough bread, maybe even a nice homemade white bread or tasty rye, and fruit from the fruit basket.

Candy and sweets are a treat.  It makes us feel good in the short term but it rots our teeth and makes us forget how to taste other things.  So we shouldn't have it more than a couple of times a week.  This is HARD because around here, candy RULES.  There is candy everywhere.  A candy-free day is hard to achieve *even when I do not buy candy for months*.  I put DD1 on a no-candy diet for one month and I was saying no two or three times a day!  I explained it was for her teeth.

Then came her birthday (she got a BAG of candy... seriously... who does that?  LOL  Our friends, I guess!) and Halloween.  We are finally candy-free at home again.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#65 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Eat real food before eating junk food. Junk food does not replace meals. If you do not eat meals then the less healthy food goes away.

If you ask for it, eat it.

Don't feed your food to the dogs.

Put food you can not finish in a baggie or container so you can finish it later. Eat it before getting other stuff.

You may choose 1 treat when we go grocery shopping- doesn't have to be healthy. If you choose to eat it all in one day then that is your business. You will have to wait 1 or 2 weeks until the next shopping trip.

No food in your bedroom or at the computer.

Fast food is a sometimes food. We will not eat it every day.

We do not have dessert every day. We do not buy a lot of candy, ice cream, cookies or pop on a regular basis.

We aren't strict about times we eat. Dd eats when she is hungry.

I don't have a sweet tooth. I'd rather have salt. Since I am the one making the shopping list the sugary laden foods don't make it on as much.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#66 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

"Food is a gift and you must treat it with respect: no spitting, throwing, lazy dropping, playing, or mixing playing so that it's inedible as leftovers."

This, plus NO WHINING and GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE FRIDGE, ASK FOR WHAT YOU WANT pretty much sums up our food rules. And if they could ever remember to close the fridge door, I might even let them graze in there. ;-) 

Every other value I have around food is effortlessly enforced by just. not. buying. stuff I don't want to see being eaten! MIL brings over junk sometimes, but I can roll with that. As long as it's her treats and not my everyday grocery list, we do OK. 

#67 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 PM

My rules are different during the week vs. the weekend. 

During the week-

Breakfast is served at 7am, is usually cereal unless Daddy is making himself eggs or oatmeal. 

Lunch for dd (who goes to school) is 1/2 a sandwich, a piece of fruit or veggies, a cheese stick and a granola bar or chips if we have it.  She's expected to eat them in that order so usually is having the cheese stick or granola bar/chips in the car on the way home.  Lunch for ds1 is served between 11-12 usually and is whatever he feels like eating that I feel like making.  He has a hard time eating fruit or veggies during lunch, so he gets them for snack instead.

Dinner is served around 6 and we all eat the same thing.  Dessert is offered very rarely and is contingent on you eating at least a good amount of the main meal.

During the weekend-

Breakfast is whatever dh and I feel like making.  We let the kids have more input on Saturday (Sunday we have church at 10 so we all need to have eaten by 8) and if dh is in charge, he usually gets their help making it.

Lunch is whatever mommy feels like making :)

Dinner is the same as during the week.

Snacks are either a fruit or veggie until you've had at least one of each.  Then you might be able to talk me in to something else (chips, granola bar.)  Candy is rarely in the house (at least not kid candy, mom has her own stash and they know I don't share!)  And when it is (like now after Halloween), we let them have it here and there.  Ds1 tends to ask first thing after we get home from school drop off, and I let him have 1 piece.

Mama of three.

#68 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM

We're fairly laid back about food (we both grew up in open-kitchen families). We don't eat at set times, although we do eat 3 meals and a couple snacks per day, rather than just totally open grazing all day long, which would wear me out. We do have a few rules though:

1) Real food before treats. Sometimes this just means, "Eat two baby carrots before you get your ice cream."

2) No sugary stuff after 5 pm- we used to be laid back about this but we discovered that they both stay up too late if allowed to have sugar too late in the day!

3) You don't have to eat what is served, but we are not short order cooks. If you don't like the stir fry, then you can have a sandwich or an apple, or a bowl of cereal. Something simple like that.

We try to make sure that they each get some veggies, fruits, and protein throughout the day. They both love simple carbs and would probably live off of crackers and fruit alone, if not encouraged to eat other things throughout the day.

Really, these food rules exist mainly for DD, as DS will eat just about anything we put in front of him, or at least try it..

(ETA: I guess I should add that I'm not totally laid back about candy (which is really only in the house a couple times a year), as DD is very prone to cavities. Her Halloween candy is put up out of her reach, but every day or so she asks for it, and I let her have as much as she wants for 10 minutes or so, then we put it away again and brush teeth. But this is really more of a preventing-tooth-decay thing than a food rule, I guess.)

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#69 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM

In our house, snacks are offered to those who finish their meals. A starchy snack here and there (granola bars), but usually fresh fruit or veggies, sliced cheese, trail mix, nuts, etc...special treats on occasion ( a few times a week), dark chocolate covered almonds, an  organic soda, potato chips....DD is just like her Mama and wants everything sweet. Argh, my karma and/or genetics. hehethumb.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#70 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post

You do not have to eat anything I prepare, but you may not have a special meal prepared for you.

You may have any condiments on your food you wish, within reason (if you can spoon it into your mouth, it's not a condiment, so put down the ketchup already, LOL).

Food is a gift and you must treat it with respect: no spitting, throwing, lazy dropping, playing, or mixing playing so that it's inedible as leftovers.

#71 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 PM

In our house, snacks are offered to those who finish their meals. A starchy snack here and there (granola bars), but usually fresh fruit or veggies, sliced cheese, trail mix, nuts, etc...special treats on occasion ( a few times a week), dark chocolate covered almonds, an  organic soda, potato chips....DD is just like her Mama and wants everything sweet. Argh, my karma and/or genetics. hehethumb.gif

#72 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Well if they are already addicated it will be harder than if it had been nipped in the bud the first few times. Sometimes parents *have* to be the bad guys when it comes to something important to you that is not important to others. However the key is knowing whats worth the fight.

We have had to be the bad guys where DH's aunt is concerned. She lives next door, so we see her often. She loves my kids and is like an extra grandma to them, and loves providing snacks for them each time we visit. With DD's history of cavities, obviously I don't want her gorging on sweets and soda every time we visit. I had to say something EVERY SINGLE TIME we visited for a while, but she did finally switch from hard candy and sugary drinks to little bags of teddy grahams and cups of water. It took a LOT of me being the bad guy to get to this point, though.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#73 of 77 Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 PM

lurk.gif

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#74 of 77 Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 AM

I'm pretty non-negotiable when it comes to food. 

I feel that farmers and ranchers put a lot of time and care into growing/raising the food, we spend a ton of money buying healthy food(local/organic/pastured/grass fed etc), and I spend a ton of time preparing 3 made from scratch meals a day.  Plus i provide healthy snacks like fruit, carrot sticks(more prep work), whole grain crackers, raw milk cheeses etc.  When it is meal time-  we eat. Period. I give my son (and will give my daughter when she's old enough to eat) reasonable portions.  In fact I start small...if they want more there's always more.  But meal times are family times where we willsitandtalk and have goodtablemanners and eat foods that nourish our bodies.     

I do however make things that everyone likes.  My son gets homemade waffles most mornings, or popovers on the weekends, maybe eggsa dn toast and bacon if we have time. Lunch is usually a fancied up version of leftovers like a chicken sandwhich(slices of chicken, jam,mayo, spinch, cheese, on sprouted grain bread) or a steak with apples and carrots...something along those lines.  Dinner I usually roast or grill a protein, with two veggies.

We don't do dessert or sweets everyday.  However if my son or hubby have a craving for something...I'll make it "our way" with organic ingredients and natural sweeteners.  We'll also go out for ice cream occasionally or eat out and DS can choose his dinner, but we also only eat at nice places where they have something not totally unhealthy on the menu.

I don't allow junk food.  At all.  I guess I feel most food nowadays is just so far from food that I can't imagine eating it.  Especially my kiddos who are growing. 

This sounds pretty strict on paper...I guess I feel that IRL I'm nota total tyrant.  DS had halloween candy(in extreme moderation), he just recently had a french fry for the first time this summer on a trip to RI when my hubby wanted whole bellyclams.  So wedo get out a bit and DS has had the occasional taste of junk but day to day we eat a very healthy diet and I expect food to be respected.     

#75 of 77 Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post

I feel that farmers and ranchers put a lot of time and care into growing/raising the food, we spend a ton of money buying healthy food(local/organic/pastured/grass fed etc), and I spend a ton of time preparing 3 made from scratch meals a day. 

I realised food became an intellectual decision for dd when she turned 7. because we went and started volunteering at our only urban farm. we've weeded, planted, cleaned, worked the farm stand AND worked in the community kitchen. there are times where I have been the head chef. there is just something to being there and helping and experiencing how things are grown. my friend has a farm too and dd has helped her with the sheep and weeding and other animals.

so i think dd this time has a whole different relationship with food than she did earlier. i did have a community garden that dd helped with when she was much younger but i dont think she remembers much of that.

we are trying to eat seasonally too. we look at the stickers that are put on food. i buy from the local asian farmers market because i cant afford the local farmers market. we have a relationship with the farmers we buy from. they are growing food in their own backyards and not using fert or pesticides. my dd is aware of the whole marketing of food and how i dont want to 'feed' the food corporations.

plus dd is cooking. serious cooking. learning about spices. herbs. what goes with what. she watches cooking shows and then tries those recipes. freaks my roommate out to see an 8 year old completely adept with a knife and unsupervised in the kitchen.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#76 of 77 Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post

I'm pretty non-negotiable when it comes to food. 

I feel that farmers and ranchers put a lot of time and care into growing/raising the food, we spend a ton of money buying healthy food(local/organic/pastured/grass fed etc), and I spend a ton of time preparing 3 made from scratch meals a day.  Plus i provide healthy snacks like fruit, carrot sticks(more prep work), whole grain crackers, raw milk cheeses etc.  When it is meal time-  we eat. Period.  

We inculcate this attitude too. We participate in a CSA and visit "our" farm (this weekend we were at a trade show and my son proudly insisted he was a farmer too, to the confusion of the real farmer :)). But we don't add in the "you must only eat what's prepared for dinner" aspect of it.  My son can have alternatives  - they're not nuggets and fries - and they tend to come from the same place, like leftovers or whatever.

I can't really say, with only one 5 year old to have experimented on, but seeing how important control is to him I just don't think a hard line would make him more respectful/grateful -  I think it would make him less so, just given his personality. That said, I totally agree with your expectations...I just think for our family it's all in how it's carried out.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#77 of 77 Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We don't have a lot of rules at our house seems like a lot on paper but not really.

We all eat together at the table

No one can complain

Must take 1 bite per age of everything

You get 1 dinner I don't make anything else

No liquids after 7pm unless a few sips of water for bedtime at 8pm

No desserts ever usually unless we go out for ice cream which isn't much

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page