Frugal or gross? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MIL is very very cheap. She is extremely weird around food and will save two green beans in a small container. As she has aged, it has gotten worse.

Lately she has been doing something that really bugs me. She brings over an appetizer she served elsewhere that wasn't finished.

So for instance, she will bring over half a cream cheese type spread and the crackers left over from bridge night.

What do you all think? Appropriate or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I can see doing that with family.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM

Was it her appetizer? I would be fine with MIL bringing over an appetizer she made or an opened box of somethign she had. If it was leftovers from somebody else that she saved and brought to my house, then I would think that was weird. It doesn't make a lot of sense logically, but that's what I would be comfortable with.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Or, the other day she brought over a opened box of fat free fig newtons.
What's wrong with an opened box of cookies or crackers? I can see not wanting the dip that other people had been using (maybe), but I don't understand your issue with the fig Newtons.

You didn't toss them when she was there, did you?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM

I wouldn't have an issue with that either... if the food is still good.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 11-05-2010, 01:44 PM

We eat our leftovers that we make for parties, if they don't dry out or spoil. With family, I don't think it's gross.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM

The cheese spread might bother me because it would have been out and sort of breathed over, but the opened box of fig newtons wouldn't (although I'm sort of with you on the fat-free bit, I don't see anything wrong with bringing the rest).

We're into leftovers at my house though. Free food, as long as it's not unsafe or whatever, is nice - I hate all that stuff going into compost. Plus it's a nice treat. I do sometimes save the two leftover green beans if I have soup planned; everything goes into it.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM

This actually wouldn't bother me at all -- like the PP said, I'd be okay if it were a family member.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Just to clarify on the Fig Newton's-I probably shouldn't have mentioned them since my reason for not eating them is we simply don't eat store bought cookies.

And no way did I throw them out when she was there.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose-Roget View Post
We eat our leftovers that we make for parties, if they don't dry out or spoil. With family, I don't think it's gross.
I might pass on the spread, depending on how well she keeps food.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't have a problem with an opened package of cookies or crackers, but I wouldn't have eaten the dip either -- it likely sat out for hours on bridge night.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM

I think it's gross and tacky to boot.

I would never bring half eaten food over to anyone's house for a pot luck or anything like that or any gathering where people are all asked to bring a dish.

But if she is just stopping by after her bridge group meets, as a very informal thing, I think it would be fine. Probably still gross to me and I wouldn't eat it (I'm not a big fan of most leftovers), but not tacky in that case.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM

I don't really feel good about eating something that has been sitting out among strangers, even if my mom did make it. Sitting out isn't so bad depending on the food, IMO, but as someone else said "breathed over"... *shudder* If it had gone to a group of people I know well and came back half eaten, I'd probably eat it.

It's gonna be a personal line everyone is gonna draw for themselves. I'd say "yucko" as well in your situation, but I wouldn't have wanted to hurt mom's feelings and pitched it when she was gone. I'd also have pitched the creepy fat-free store bought cookies. I don't think it's anything anyone needs to feel bad over, you or your mom. Just chuck the unwanted stuff on the down-low or convince her to keep it for herself.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM

My mom would absolutely do that. I wouldn't find it odd at all. But, that's how I grew up.

My Grandmother saved EVERYTHING. She didn't even have trash, because it was either saved, eaten, or composted. She would even cut up jello boxes and save the cardboard.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM

If there is a potluck or something formal and she is bringing this as her contribution, that's tacky. But not gross IMO. If she is bringing them over more in the context of "Hey, I had some of this leftover and I can't use it. Maybe you can use it so it doesn't go to waste.", then I think that is perfectly normal and not gross. My family does that type of thing all the time.

ETA: I forgot to comment on the green beans. If it was really only two, I'd probably ust eat them. But I do save leftovers, even if the portion was quite small. Why not, it's perfectly good food and will be fine reheated with tomorrows dinner.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM

LOL.. I was just reading an article about how much food we throw away in this country. My bigger issue would be EXPIRED food. The kind I constantly find at my moms house. I would just cut off the portion of the cheese that had been exposed and use the rest. Like cutting the mold off a block of cheese.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM

It would depend. For example, if she made the cream cheese dip and had put some out for her friends but then left another portion in the fridge as back up but it didn't get put out and then the next day she brings that leftover dip with some fresh crackers, I think that is perfectly acceptable. Now if she puts out cream cheese dip and crackers for her friends, then throws plastic wrap over it at the end of the night, puts it in the fridge and then brings that to your house the next day for the party I think that isn't really appropriate. Although I wouldn't think it is gross if she ate those leftovers herself, I do not throw food away unless it is actually spoiled.

The cookies wouldn't bother me as long as they were properly stored and not expired.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose-Roget View Post
yeah... and my family covets 7 layer dip so much that we will travel to where it was served to eat it.

(Like come on over, we have left over dip). Especially to my mom's. I don't think it's weird.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM

It'd be weird to me if it was a special occasion, but among family or close friends I don't see anything wrong with finishing up leftovers together.

Tjej
Old 11-05-2010, 02:46 PM

An opened box of dry goods (cookies/crackers). Why would that be gross? We don't eat whole boxes of things in one sitting, and I certainly wouldn't toss an entire box because we'd eaten 2 cookies and now the rest were from an opened box.

The dip, I wouldn't say "gross", really. I would want to know how long it was sitting out. If it was for 1/2 hour, and then refrigerated, I'd be OK. If she was serving it a small portion at a time, and the rest stayed in the fridge, no problem there. I'd only worry if it had all been sitting out at room temp for several hours.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM

My MIL saves 1 green bean. She saves 1/4 of a hard boiled egg. One slice of tomato. Every time she cuts bread, she scrapes up the crumbs into a bowl that she uses later for bread crumbs. However, you have to realize she was raised in a much more extreme time. First, she is a farmers wife, and knows the value of food from hard work and does not waste - ever. Second, she grew up during the war, where every single thing was scarce - even if you did have a farm. Being in europe in the war was different than being in the states; I mean it wasn't just coffee and sugar rations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStream View Post
Was it her appetizer? I would be fine with MIL bringing over an appetizer she made or an opened box of somethign she had. If it was leftovers from somebody else that she saved and brought to my house, then I would think that was weird. It doesn't make a lot of sense logically, but that's what I would be comfortable with.
This. A dip mom or mil made and at at home and then brought, not my favorite but OK. A dip she made and then shared with her bridge club and then brought, um, no, gross. Not logical, but I guess it is like germs. I don't mind licking off my child's face if there isn't a napkin nearby, but I wouldn't do it to anther kid.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM

Frugal and smart... definitely not gross. People throw out so much perfectly good food it's almost criminal and it's nice to hear of people like this. For a formal party with strangers... perhaps not a good idea... but I would totally rework it into a new dish. Family, I would not even think of it as strange. If you eat food that you have personally not prepared, I guarantee you that you frequently are ingesting food that you would think is much less appetizing (if you knew its history) than what is described.

2 green beans, a teaspoon of leftover eggplant casserole, a couple of raw carrots, 1/2 of a muffin or any other tiny portion that is left over goes into our fridge for leftover night. Someone will combine or eat these small portions alone. I also save scraps for making stock... then give it to the neighbor dog (if there are no onions). Just because there is very little left doesn't mean it has to be wasted. People have and do kill for those portions of food.

I think your MIL is awesome and could teach a lot of younger people some valuable lessons. Kudos to her!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM

From a food safety POV I would probably be a bit weird about the cream cheese dip due to it possibly being held in the "danger zone" for too long, so it *may* be exposed to bacteria. So yes that could in fact be gross, and depending on what it is dangerous.

The cookies, crackers, eh whatever.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 11-05-2010, 03:54 PM

That wouldn't bother me at all.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 11-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Ok so half eaten sandwich would be gross. Leftovers of most other kinds, I think its nice that she is sharing, hey I have this maybe you can use it.

The dip, maybe I wouldn't use for reasons listed above, butI don't think its gross for her to offer. It maybe a generational thing. My G-ma leaves the butter out all the time. I would never eat any leftovers from MIL because she (like her mother) leaves food out for hours before returning to fridge.

If it were anyone other than a close friend or relative...its weird. Also, its tacky if that were her contribution to a get together.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM

I would be HAPPY if my MIL brought over some yummy dip with crackers to eat. Also, my friends and I have happily brought and ate leftovers for playdates before. It's just food.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.

I do find it tacky to bring it to dinner I guess. I make a special dinner when she comes and she offered to bring an appetizer. I was just-I don't know-kind of offended that is what she brought.

Sometimes I feel like she uses my house as a dumping ground for things she doesn't want, but yet can't bring herself to just pitch. And that bugs me. She buys a lot of stuff we simply don't eat and I guess I feel the added pressure as I try to be very cognizant of teaching my son to not be wasteful.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Wouldn't bother me in the least. And whats wrong with leaving butter out? I have some butter in the freezer, but the portion thats being used is definetly left out... otherwise its all but impossible to spread
Old 11-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
It'd be weird to me if it was a special occasion, but among family or close friends I don't see anything wrong with finishing up leftovers together.

Tjej
I agree

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

2 green beans, a teaspoon of leftover eggplant casserole, a couple of raw carrots, 1/2 of a muffin or any other tiny portion that is left over goes into our fridge for leftover night. Someone will combine or eat these small portions alone.
This is how we are as well. If we get too many small leftovers during the course of M-F, then Saturday's lunch is "smorgasbord," and everyone takes whatever of the little leftovers for lunch. I really, really dislike throwing out food.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .

User Tag List