s/o - do your kids call nonrelatives aunt/uncle? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I grew up calling my parents' friends "aunt" and "uncle" (we lived overseas), and now that I live in the USA my husband and I have chosen to do that with our good friends here.  Most of our close friends are childless at the moment and absolutely LOVE being pseudo aunts and uncles to our babe!  Calling friends by family terms is very common in other cultures, and also in the expatriate community that I grew up in. 

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

#32 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Yes, we do.

I'm from Hawaii and everybody there is Auntie or Uncle!!

Bubblette likes this.
#33 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStream View Post

This... everyone is called by first names.  We don't do Miss Firstname, Aunt Firstname or anything else.  Only Mommy, Daddy, Grandma and Oma are called something other than their first names.

This, pretty much, although my brother goes by "Uncle Firstname". Everyone else except for Mom, Dad, and grandparents are "Firstname" or "Nickname".

--K

#34 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM

We do, from time to time, refer to a few close family friends as Aunt/Uncle So-and-so, but the only people that DS really KNOWS as Aunt or Uncle are his aunts and uncles. And my husband's batty aunt, who insists on being called aunt despite the fact that she's great-aunt.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#35 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 PM

My kids have one honorary "auntie" She is my best friend, my soul sister.  DD2 slipped one day and just called her by her first name, well DS2 was having no part of it, he said, " that's AUNTIE Karen!!!!!!!"  Yeah, that got him extra smoochies! LOL

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#36 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 01:16 PM

My parents were friends with a couple who I called auntie and uncle,I later ended up living with this couple and they forced me to start calling them mommy and daddy and I was abused by them. So when I became pregnant with my son I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I'm estranged from my family and they live quite far from me anyway. I'm a single mama and so my son really has no "real" relatives here. I've been allowing him to call one of my good male friends "uncle" b/c he's been in my life for the past 7 years or so. Recently the father of my milk baby referred to me as "auntie" and that was sweet and I liked it. We don't know each other well,but I think a good friendship is starting with this family and I'm hoping our babies will be close someday. I really do only want my son to use the term auntie and uncle for special people in my life who I know will stay. I know that when I start dating again I won't allow him to call anyone I date "uncle",they will be called by their first name.

#37 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dh & I always felt that there should be a special word for those people who "we call him uncle but he's really a good friend of the family" so we jokingly call our close friends Fruncle & Fraunt.

But yes, we do this & so do most of our friends.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#38 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Dh & I always felt that there should be a special word for those people who "we call him uncle but he's really a good friend of the family" so we jokingly call our close friends Fruncle & Fraunt.

But yes, we do this & so do most of our friends.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#39 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 PM

No. Pretty much everyone is known by their first name, even a couple who is very close and we've debated asking to be guardians to our kids should something happen to DH and I. 

#40 of 55 Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 AM

Oh, yes!  We have several aunties and uncles for our DD.  She makes no distinction between them and her biological ones and we all consider ourselves very lucky.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#41 of 55 Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 AM

I think this is a good idea.  I do not have a big family but I have some very close friends who I would count as "family" and I tell my DDs that they are "auntie" or "uncle" and I think it is like a codeword to tell them that this is someone they can trust.  Although one of my friends do not like this and I respect that and my DDs call her by her first name.  A real personal decision.

#42 of 55 Old 11-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

we do this-- to the point that I don't remember calling any of my parents friends miss/mr or anything else. in fact, I was so suprised to be introduced as 'Mrs' at my first play date a few weekends ago.

I think it may be cultural though. (we are south asian).

yeahthat.gif

same here.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#43 of 55 Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Fraunt and Fruncle are awesome :)

obstruct livery vehicles

#44 of 55 Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nope.

My kids don't even call their aunts and uncle by that title. They call their aunts and uncles by their first names. They do call great-aunts and great-uncles by "Aunt so-and-so" or "Uncle so-and-so".

Something about kids calling people they are not related to aunt or uncle really bothers me and creeps me out a bit. I'm not quite sure what the association is that I feel that way. But I really don't like it.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#45 of 55 Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 PM

Are you also of a different culture. Reading through the responses, I realized that we have different names for 'real' aunts and uncles. We use Gujarati names for parent's siblings, grandparents siblings etc, so aunt and uncle just roll off the tongue for strangers without a thought. I'll definitely keep in mind that others have different views on this. I was kind of put off by the 'Mrs' at the play date, but upon reflection, it was probably appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi View Post

Quote:

we do this-- to the point that I don't remember calling any of my parents friends miss/mr or anything else. in fact, I was so suprised to be introduced as 'Mrs' at my first play date a few weekends ago.

yeahthat.gif

same here.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#46 of 55 Old 11-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Not really; my dd's do call one person "aunt" who is really their cousin because she has kids their age so it's more of an auntie relationship. To them cousins are playmates, kwim?

It does sort of bother me that dh was taught to do this as a child. He calls half the people in his church "Aunt Soandso" and after 22 years I'm still trying to figure out who we're really related to.lol.gif

#47 of 55 Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 PM

We have done this somewhat formally.  DH and I are both only children, so with the exception of his FORMER stepsisters (only one of whom we are in contact with and who has never met DD), our kids will have no possibility of natural aunts, uncles, or cousins.  There are, of course great aunts and uncles who have opted for various naming conventions, but only one of those families has met DD more than once and she ops for first name only.  

However we feel strongly that DD and her coming sibbling need trusted stable adults of our generation to be part of her life, so we have several close friends (couples and single) who we have asked to serve as aunts and uncles and who have agreed.  One of her "aunts' lived with us for 5 months during a move where she and her husband were in different cities recently.  This is not precisely cultural for us.  I don't recall calling anyone other than biological kin aunt or uncle, but all our families get it and accept our reasons.  

Wife to DH, mom to DD1 energy.gif 9/06 and our new arrival DD2 femalesling.GIF 6/11

#48 of 55 Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 AM

Yep, my kids call my best friend Auntie K. She has actually done more for my kids then their blood aunts in the way of sending little things, remembering birthdays, etc. and she has come from a lot farther to visit us. She was there for the birth of both my girls. She is like my sister.  So they call her aunt and her husband Uncle A. 

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#49 of 55 Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_Bookwyrm View Post

We do this.  We only use it with close friends that we feel part of a family with.  Our chosen family if you will.

yeahthat.gif

We only had one friend who was close enough to be called "auntie" and unfortunately DH and I had a huge fall out with her several years ago. But if we had other friends who were that close, then yes, definately.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#50 of 55 Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 PM

DS has several honorary Aunties, who are women I've know for 30+ years and are precious to me. Just a first name didn't seem like enough to me. Also, we've got adoption ALL OVER our family, so biological relationships are of less importance to us.

#51 of 55 Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM

We don't have any friends close enough to consider this for our DCs, but I have an "uncle" who is not related, but instead a close family friend, and who was a larger part of my life growing up than either of my biological uncles. 

#52 of 55 Old 11-22-2010, 01:59 PM

We do this but only with my very best friend. I grew up with her and my kids are closer to her and her kids than to some of their blood related Aunts and Uncles. And incidently, I have a large blended family. Both of my parents remarried and I have a total of 6 step sibs, 3 of which we know well and 3 we hardly know at all. Plus assorted partners, it's a large crew and we aren't always great about getting that Aunt or Uncle in, when we see someone once a year.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#53 of 55 Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:

This. We are too. It was just so convenient...we didn't have to know anyone's name. New person? No problem. Hello, aunty :D

Admittedly though, we had different terms of endearment for family members.

#54 of 55 Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post

We don't.  I never did as a kid and I never knew anyone who did.  I don't really have anything against it, though.

I have to admit, though,  I only have one niece- she (literally) lives on the other side of the world from us and I wish I could be more involved in her life.  I get a little pang in my heart to see comments on my SIL's facebook  from "auntie so-and-so".  It's totally my green monster coming out and I'm truly glad she has loving people in her life, but dang-it-all, she's the only one I get to be aunt to and it should be special! *wink, wink*

This.  We don't do it, because I think it takes away from the people who actually ARE their aunts & uncles.  But they have awesome biological aunts & uncles, and I might feel differently if they didn't.

I have a precious baby niece who is very near & dear to my heart, and all my sister-in-law's friends call themselves "Aunt So-and-So" on her FB.  I'm happy she has so many people who love her, but I want her to know she's my niece & not everyone in the world's.  lol.  That's probably ridiculous, but it's how I feel.

#55 of 55 Old 11-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Yes.  However, the people are biologically related.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page