S/O: What's the worst parenting thing YOU ever said before you were a parent? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I laugh about some of the things I used to think/say/advise, prior to actually becoming a parent. 

Whenever somebody says "I never..." or "My kids never..."  My Mom always says "Be careful what you say, because your kids will make a liar out of you!!"

After seeing the floor of my cousin's car, I thought to myself "I will never let MY kids eat in the car!" 

Yeah right!  I could feed a family of four on the cheerios and goldfish under the carseats!!  (Haha, not literally, of course!!)

What did you used to think or say, before your kids taught you better?????

KempsMama likes this.
#2 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 AM

I made a comment about it being ridiculous about a 3 year old still not being potty trained.  That was about 2 years ago.  Check out my location.  Yea, footinmouth.gif tomato.gif

ETA, HUmble pie tastes like @$$!

#3 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Something about not putting up with tantrums.  And then I had the older one.  Ack!  I think when you make comments like that, God takes it as an opportunity to teach you a lesson in humility by giving you a child who proves you wrong.

#4 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Ack!  I think when you make comments like that, God takes it as an opportunity to teach you a lesson in humility by giving you a child who proves you wrong.

Yeah I used to think once a baby turned around one they should no longer have a pacifier.  Then my son came along and just gave it up on his own last week at two months shy of FOUR!

SAHM Michael 01-07 & Emmy 12-08
#5 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 AM

I don't remember the things I said (I've blocked them out, probably), but AFTER I had kids I do remember thinking "I will never..." or "My kids won't..."  after seeing or hearing about other children's behavior.

And I swear, every single time I've thought that, guess what happened a few years later?

Broke that habit! :lol:

#6 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 AM

I remember when my friends had their first kid and they did not believe in CIO. I thought they were crazy. I was all like, 'just put the kid down and let him cry. He'll go to sleep eventually." I also couldn't understand WHY they insisted on being home ALL the time-refused for the first year or so to even go out at night if it meant missing bed time. Drove me nuts.

Fast forward to now and I have a 2 1/2 yr old who snuggles next to me every night and who has never CIO'd nor slept away from me for even one night.

#7 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Charlie's~Angel~ View Post

I made a comment about it being ridiculous about a 3 year old still not being potty trained.  That was about 2 years ago.  Check out my location.  Yea, footinmouth.gif tomato.gif

ETA, HUmble pie tastes like @$$!

LOL!!!!twins.gif

#8 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 AM

I remember hearing about extended nursers and saying "Uh, yeah, if they're old enough to ask for it, they don't need it anymore/it's gross/weird, etc..." Hmm, guess whose son most politely says "I hab ninnies peas?" before bedtime every night? :)

Juvysen likes this.

K + J = DS Evan 1/26/09 and happily welcoming DS Colin, our 9lb 5oz vbac.gif New Year's Day baby, 1/1/11!
#9 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 AM

At my wedding I had some family I don't see too often, and that included a 3 year old boy. He had a meltdown the morning on the wedding (not AT the wedding, just before) and I was saying something about him acting like a brat just when his father came out the door. I have no idea if he heard it or not, but it rests on my heart that I even thought that... hello, 3 year olds have tantrums! I can't believe I even thought that, much less said it out loud.

- Mom of 5 year old who STILL has some tantrums

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#10 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 AM

"I'll leave the circumcision decision up to my husband... after all, he's the one with the penis."  Thankfully, our first child was a girl. 

"If they're old enough to say 'Please, mother, may I have some milk from your breasts?' they're too old to nurse." My daughter is turning 4 in a couple months and she's still nursing. thumb.gif

#11 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM

"No toys for my future children.  Only books and supplies." 

Uh huh.  Right. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#12 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 AM

I said I wouldn't breastfeed b/c its gross, and formula is just as good.  Uhh....yeah, says the mom who still NIP's her 22mo!  LOL!   (I'm kind of a lactivist too, had a LONG discussion with my cousin about why its best just a few days ago LOL!)

ETA - YAY MDC cause this is the forum that got me to even THINK about it!!

#13 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Yep, another one who had issues with extended nursing before. I though my cousin, who nursed her girls to age 2 was crazy. I've now nursed two kids past age 4.

#14 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 AM

I definitely said "if they're old enough to ask for it, they're too old for it" in regards to breastfeeding and diaper changes (i.e. they should be potty trained early)... And then my DD started asking for diaper changes AND  mama milk before she hit a year... and then I nursed her until she was 2 1/2 (um, but she did potty train before 2)... Ds1 is still not completely trained at 3 1/2. 

I'm sure I said a lot of other stupid things, too.  LOL

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#15 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM

Then: "Why will that 4yo not say hi to me when I chirp it to him? Huh, weird. I'll make sure MY kid NEVER does that. Hmph." :lol

Now: "Ds, for the 2598th time, why don't you say hi when someone says hi to you? Becauuuuse, I don't want to." Oh.

#16 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 AM

I once told my cousin that I'd teach my one year old to behave - she'd never try to pull books from the bookshelves.  rolleyes.gif

#17 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 AM

hahaha!  What didn't I say!  Even after I had my first one I thought she was the way she was because of my spectacular parenting.  Then came #2.  She still challenges me in every way.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#18 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM

I could never walk around with spit up on my clothes. Yuck, gross!

One day DS spit up on top of my head while in backcarry and I calmly thought "I guess I'll have to take a shower...    ... later"

footinmouth.gif

EarthRootsStarSoul likes this.

sleepytime.gif
#19 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Let's see, where to begin!! I said I'd never have a baby in bed with me... Now by 3 a.m. there's four of us crammed into the full size bed.  If only I hadn't been in denial about co sleeping maybe I would have shelled out for a queen at least when we got married.  LOL.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#20 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM

I'd never have a section, supplement or use disposables... ummmm... now I know!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#21 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM

another one who thought asking for nursing was weird. I never thought I'd cosleep and one big one

I never thought I'd let my kid eat food off the floor (my floor not other places..I still don't do that) rolleyes.gif

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#22 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 PM

I think I said that I would never "allow"  my child to throw a fit at the store.  Little did I know that there is no stopping a fit once it gets started.  I've actually let my child roll around throwing a fit on the floor of Costco before. 

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

#23 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeMomChiro View Post

I think I said that I would never "allow"  my child to throw a fit at the store.  Little did I know that there is no stopping a fit once it gets started.  I've actually let my child roll around throwing a fit on the floor of Costco before. 

LMAO! Totally! "I won't let my child act like that!" in the direction of the mom with the toddler screaming in fury.

Yeah, because you can totally see it coming and then prevent it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#24 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM

I don't remember saying too much about parenting before I had a kid because I figured... what do I know about kids?  Except once, in a discussion about breastfeeding with other non-moms who were mostly critical of the idea, I said something like, "BF is good, although maybe once they can ask it's time to start thinking about weaning?"

Because I had NO IDEA that babies began being able to communicate/talk around the age of one.  I seriously though it was like 3 or 4 years before a kid could talk.

crap.gif

#25 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post

I don't remember saying too much about parenting before I had a kid because I figured... what do I know about kids?  Except once, in a discussion about breastfeeding with other non-moms who were mostly critical of the idea, I said something like, "BF is good, although maybe once they can ask it's time to start thinking about weaning?"

Because I had NO IDEA that babies began being able to communicate/talk around the age of one.  I seriously though it was like 3 or 4 years before a kid could talk.

crap.gif

Not to mention that once you get cued into your child you can tell when your 1 month old is "asking" for it!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#26 of 78 Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post

crap.gif

Not to mention that once you get cued into your child you can tell when your 1 month old is "asking" for it!

Oh of course.  I also thought that babies had to cry to "talk" to you.  My uncle called me up right before my daughter was born and gave me one of the best piece of newborn advice I received from anyone I knew, which was, "Don't wait for the baby to cry.  Pay attention.  You will be able to tell what she needs.  So you will feed the baby before she cries, change her diaper before she cries, hold her before she cries.  Then she will trust you."  This was nicely balanced by my BF's mom's advice which was, "Sometimes babies cry."  Hah!  She's raised 4 kids, so she knew what she was talking about.

#27 of 78 Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 AM

Oh, I still cringe whenever I think about it.  I was single and living in an apartment. I went down to the apartment below me and knocked on the door. A tired woman answered the door. I introduced myself and said something like, "Oh, do you have a new baby?"  She smiled and said yes. Now, I cringe.... I said nicely,  "Well, your baby is keeping me up all night. Every two hours I wake up." I think she probably looked a bit stunned and didn't know what to say.  I then suggested that perhaps she could move the baby to the other room.  Not too long after that she moved.  And the thing is I didn't get that what I had said was so so wrong until I had my own child.  I  feel bad to this day about it.  I wish that I could meet with her and apologize for being such an idiot.

#28 of 78 Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 AM

I said something ridiculous about how my step-sister was "spoiling" her 9 month old by holding him all the time. I feel like an idiot, now, even after all these years.

#29 of 78 Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusMom View Post

I said something ridiculous about how my step-sister was "spoiling" her 9 month old by holding him all the time. I feel like an idiot, now, even after all these years.

You are not alone.  Ive pulled this little gem before, even with my own child. 

#30 of 78 Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 AM

I told my good friend, in a horrified voice, that her 3 yr old was much too old to still be sleeping with her. Luckily, she got to laugh at me recently because my 6 yr old still sleeps in our family bed along with my 3 yr old.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page