Kid sized, microwaveable, non-plastic "coffee" mugs? Do these exist? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need mugs for my boys that are their size. I'd like them to be microwaveable, and not plastic. Any idea where I could find such a thing?

#2 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 AM

this is like a "to go" "mug"

http://mightynest.com/shop/dishes-cups-utensils/cups/eio-glass-kids-cup-wsilicone-sleeve-8oz-3-colors

regular silicone cups http://mightynest.com/shop/dishes-cups-utensils/cups/bigger-bites-silicone-cups-set-of-2

only mug i could find but you cant microwave it....http://mightynest.com/shop/lunch-gear/food-containers/the-complete-bpa-free-feeding-set-orange

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'd check with a local potter/pottery shop. You can microwave most handmade mugs just like you would a mug from Target. I bought some from a potter who sells at my local farmer's mkt, but you could probably find some smaller mugs in a pottery shop or craft or gift store that sells items like that.

If you're outta luck there you might look for an espresso/demitasse cup. Would that be too small?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#4 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 AM

Regular espresso demitasse cups should be the perfect size for kids!

#5 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 07:00 AM

Oh, B&G, you're in the triangle, right? I got my kids' mugs from Eddie at the Carrboro farmer's market. They're little bitty things and really probably too small for my girls now, but they still like them. I think they were designed as espresso cups, but he might've made them as kid cups. Scroll down  this page if you want to see Eddie's stuff. There's a picture of some blue/black mugs he did. I'm sure you could find some smaller mugs from a local potter if you want to go that route.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#6 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

Oh, B&G, you're in the triangle, right? I got my kids' mugs from Eddie at the Carrboro farmer's market. They're little bitty things and really probably too small for my girls now, but they still like them. I think they were designed as espresso cups, but he might've made them as kid cups. Scroll down  this page if you want to see Eddie's stuff. There's a picture of some blue/black mugs he did. I'm sure you could find some smaller mugs from a local potter if you want to go that route.

I am in the triangle! I was thinking about handmade. I actually used to have a bunch of cups that I made in college that would be perfect. Too bad I got rid of them during one of my decluttering sprees! An espresso cup would probably be the perfect size for my toddler, but the preschooler would need bigger.

#7 of 22 Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Last year for Christmas my dc got Playmobil mugs which are just the right size for them, and microwavable.  They're dishwasher safe too, but the pictures tend to fade so we hand wash them.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#8 of 22 Old 11-27-2010, 07:03 AM

The one mug I have that I really like is a "corn mug".  They are made from corn, so eventually biodegradable.  They can go in teh microwave and in the dishwasher.  Mine is small, so it would be good for a kid.  It also doesnt get hot on the outside.

#9 of 22 Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 AM

My kids use tea cups.  They work great!

Mama of three.

#10 of 22 Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 PM

If any of these ideas don't end up working out for you you might find something at a souvenir shop.  We have miniature ceramic coffee mugs that look exactly like the grown-up counterpart and hold about 5oz of liquid.  We found ours at a thrift store but they were obviously souvenirs of San Francisco.

#11 of 22 Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 PM

I get mine from browsing our local thrift shops.  I look for the porcelaine (sp?) ones that don't have any metal "paint" edging around the cup so that it can go in the microwave.  Usually they're around 99 cents-$2 per cup.  The best thing is that because they're relatively cheap and somewhat plentiful (at least around here), I don't worry too much when it gets accidently chipped or broken in a fall.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#12 of 22 Old 11-28-2010, 02:54 AM

Espresso cups are only a few ounces (usually 2 or 3).  Cappuccino cups, though, are 6 - 7 ounces, which might be a good size for your kids.  Here's a link to an example.  They're perfect for other hot drinks, too, like Wassail and hot chocolate.

#13 of 22 Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Oh, wanted to add, you might check out a paint your own ceramics place if you're into that. I know the one we've been to recently has some smaller mugs. I think they were 6 oz, maybe 8. Maybe your kids would like to decorate their own? I think you could find a potter to do one for you, too, though. We got one kid-size hand thrown mug as a baby gift. I think the giver bought it in Seagrove, but I'm sure you could find something in the Triangle. The ones I got from Eddie at the farmer's mkt in Carrboro are about 5-6 oz. One is slightly bigger than the other. The one that we got as a gift from Seagrove (Owen's Pottery) is about 6-7 oz. It doesn't quite hold a full measuring cup.

hth

#14 of 22 Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Montessori catalogs usually have a great selection.

#15 of 22 Old 11-29-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

this is like a "to go" "mug"

http://mightynest.com/shop/dishes-cups-utensils/cups/eio-glass-kids-cup-wsilicone-sleeve-8oz-3-colors

OOH!  Those cups look very nice!  I've been complaining about the sippy-sucky cups for years!  I'm going to keep that link.

#16 of 22 Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM

How about glass mugs!? They may be breakable, but they are microwaveable and your beverages still taste great.  Plus, they are pure and BPA free :)  Here are som glass mugs from ESP (nickname for Essential Safe Products): http://www.liveesp.com/tableware/glass-drinkware/5213s4a-libbey-glass-mugs.asp

#17 of 22 Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM
MJB

We have some smallish, very sturdy microwaveable glass mugs from IKEA. 

#18 of 22 Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post

If any of these ideas don't end up working out for you you might find something at a souvenir shop.  We have miniature ceramic coffee mugs that look exactly like the grown-up counterpart and hold about 5oz of liquid.  We found ours at a thrift store but they were obviously souvenirs of San Francisco.

We did that, too. 

#19 of 22 Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Yes! We have some from this Etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62577651/t-rex-kid-mug?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=kid+mug&ga_view_type=list&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

We also gave a few as gifts last Christmas. My boys (2 and 4) use theirs often and they are the perfect size for them!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#20 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I've been looking for cute child-sized mugs forever, and I finally found some that I really like, at Crate & Barrel. Here's a link to the ones I got. They're Christmas-themed, which obviously wouldn't work for everyone, but that's exactly what I was looking for. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#21 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM

I bought one at a farmer's market. Keep an eye out!

#22 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

if money is an issue then check the thrift stores. esp. for sturdy handmade mugs. when we can afford a potter that's where we get them (though we buy mostly bowls than cups). otherwise we find lots of great stuff at the thrift store. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page