Anyone NOT let their child in a toystore or look at toy catalogues? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm another one who loved to pour over the Christmas catalog.  Our favorite one was the JCPenney catalog.  Never thought of the paper doll aspect though, that would have been cool.  I never had an expectation that I'd get everything I found in either the catalog or at the store.  I also still love to look through catalogs, though I rarely buy from them.

lonegirl likes this.
#32 of 35 Old 12-12-2010, 07:03 PM

When my DS was about 4 and my sister's DD was the same age we took them to a big toy store and told them it was a toy museum. They totally believed us and we had a great time playing and then we left.

My big complaint about the plastic toys is that they always come with a shiny brochure for the other toys in that line so the child is immediately focused on what more they could get instead of being satisfied with what they just got.

Married to the love of my life, mom to DS :
#33 of 35 Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 PM
mbm

I was in a small, independent toy store today and the place was packed with kids of all ages all howling "I want this, I want that," crying, tantrumming, running around like crazy, etc.  All I could think was, "Why would anyone ever want to take their child to the toy store?"  It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

My parents did let us circle things in the Sears catalog, (99% of which we did NOT get at Christmastime) but we almost never went to the toy store.  Maybe two or three times ever, to pick out a specific thing.

#34 of 35 Old 12-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyluc View Post

When my DS was about 4 and my sister's DD was the same age we took them to a big toy store and told them it was a toy museum. They totally believed us and we had a great time playing and then we left.

Hah that is brilliant about the toy museum thing.

#35 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 07:44 AM

I take ds to toy stores...as a kid it was a huge treat going to TRU (they were only in the US back then and we went only a couple times a year).  I think that really like all things not all kids react the same.   LOL  My son is one who will see things he already has in the stores and say  "I already have that"....like it shouldn't be there.  He is a child who holds my hands and knows that malls and stores are not for running around and that we go to look and not touch.  We go to malls often jsut to get out and go for a walk around so really it becomes background.  I loved the toy catalogue as a kid it was my fave!  My son could care less...I gave him a catalogue to look at and he didn't care...showed no interest at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm View Post

I was in a small, independent toy store today and the place was packed with kids of all ages all howling "I want this, I want that," crying, tantrumming, running around like crazy, etc.  All I could think was, "Why would anyone ever want to take their child to the toy store?"  It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

My parents did let us circle things in the Sears catalog, (99% of which we did NOT get at Christmastime) but we almost never went to the toy store.  Maybe two or three times ever, to pick out a specific thing.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page