Are your Holiday Presents "Equal"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have more than one DC, do you make sure they get equal presents? Either in quantity or monetary amount? Curious to hear what others do, and why.

My mom spent 200 dollars on each child every year, plus / minus 5 bucks, she says.

I'm thinking maybe I should make gifts equal, but I have not so far. My DC are 4 and 6. When they were babies I didn't at all. DS was older and actually had some interests; DD was still chewing her fingers and wrapping paper, so I saw no point in giving her the same amount.

Now I try to have the same quantity of presents for each, plus / minus a present or two. But I don't count the amount I spend. I buy more what I think they will like. I suppose if I had spent 30 dollars on one child but 300 on the other, then I would try to even it out a bit more for the other child, but that hasn't happened yet. I guess there could be up to a 25% difference, but I don't know. Also, both kids play with each other's toys a huge amount. And sometimes one gets something and the other one uses it almost exclusively. So I guess I just haven't seen a point, yet, in making it even. I suppose this may change as they get older though.

#2 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Nope, on either.  First, the 1 year old just doesn't really notice the monetary value or the quantity of gifts.  DS asked for things that were quite a bit more expensive than what the 3 year old wanted, for example (DS wanted an electric scooter, DD wanted a regular scooter--there's a $75 difference between the two.  I didn't even that out in any way because the kids don't know what costs what).  That, and the kids get a couple gifts just for themselves, but the majority of gifts are joint gifts for all of them, since they all play with everything anyhow.

ETA:  I couldn't even tell you the exact amount I spent on each kid.  I know it wasn't like one kid got $500 spent on him and the other got some junky dollar store stuff.  They all got high quality stuff, some from their lists and some that I just picked out, but I didn't purposely try to make it even monetarily.  And the baby got more gifts because she won't be able to share the joint ones for awhile (microscope, etc.)  In the end, there will be a big pile on the floor on Christmas eve and the kids won't necessarily know who got more.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 01:49 PM

I do try to keep things equal...in terms of personal meaning to the child, not necessarily dollar value or amount. If I give one child some super-awesome toy or game that he's wanted forever, I'm not going to give his sister a pile of socks and underwear.

My three are spaced 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 years apart so no sharing of toys, really.

#4 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Same number, very similar monetary value. 

#5 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I don't really keep track of the dollar amount, but they get fairly equivalent gifts, and they do usually get the same number of gifts. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Not really.  We do a very limited number of gifts anyway, and not expensive ones.  So it's not like one is getting 10 and the other is getting 2, or one is getting something for $200 and the other a $10 something or other.

I try to go with what I know will delight them.  My oldest son really wants a watch, so he's getting a decent quality one from his grandma.  My middle kid would be happy with a water gun from Dollar General. My younger one does'nt care, just as long as it's a present for him.

#7 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 02:01 PM

we do same number, not necessarily exact same dollar amount, but pretty close.  this year they are each getting 4 presents, plus stockings.

#8 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM

I try to do the same number.  I usually have a rough value of what I want to spend for each child but one may go over based on sale prices, etc.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#9 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM

For the most part, yes.  Especially this year, because they'll notice.

ds1 (8)

ipod

video game

movie

book

science kit

clothes

pjs

ornament

a few small toys

ds2 (4)

ds

video game

movie

book

3d dinosaur thing

clothes

pjs

ornaments

few small toys

Plus they're stockings, which is are pretty similar.  They're also getting one large joint gift.

#10 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

ds2 (4)

ds

video game

movie

book

3d dinosaur thing

clothes

pjs

ornaments

few small toys

Plus they're stockings, which is are pretty similar.

Wow, so your ds2 is getting a baby brother? Very generous gift imo. Sorry, couldn't resist. wink1.gif

My 6yo asked for a Nintendo DS and I've said no. Big meany mommy. I told him to use the computer instead. 

#11 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

ds2 (4)

ds

video game

movie

book

3d dinosaur thing

clothes

pjs

ornaments

few small toys

Plus they're stockings, which is are pretty similar.

Wow, so your ds2 is getting a baby brother? Very generous gift imo. Sorry, couldn't resist. wink1.gif

My 6yo asked for a Nintendo DS and I've said no. Big meany mommy. I told him to use the computer instead. 

ROTFLMAO.gifI didn't even think of that!  That's not a gift he'd be happy with!

#12 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
MJB

My boys (5 and 8) share a room and have the same interests. So this year instead of getting them individual gifts, we got a bunch of gifts which are wrapped but not labeled for one or the other. We will make it clear that those gifts are to share and they can each open half of them. They are each getting one labeled gift (things they need-- new shinguards for one and a new bike helmet for the other). The baby is getting a lot fewer gifts that cost a lot less money (we probably spent $300 on the boys together and only about $30 on her) but she is a baby and won't notice. Since she is so much younger than her brothers I imagine her gifts will cost less for a long time to come, but they will be bigger packages (big kid stuff is tiny!) and she will be more excited anyway. 

#13 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM

My dc are 6 and 3.  In previous years dd (older) got more presents than ds because ds had lots of toys (dd's old toys) to "grow into", but dd had no hand-me down toys and needed more age-appropriate stuff, AND ds was too young to a) have any real obsessions to indulge, and b) notice the disparity in gift quantities.  This year I'm being careful to make sure that dd and ds have the same amount of presents to open.  I'm not worried about spending the same $ amount on each of them, but I am making sure to get them gifts with equal "wow factor" iykwim.  For example dd's gift from Santa is a biggish Playmobil set (cost around $50) and ds's gift from Santa is a set of Super Mario figurines (cost around $25).  They won't know the difference in price, but each of them will be super excited about their gift.  

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#14 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Not even close, but they are young (3.5, 16m) so I don't think it matters. The older is getting, um, like 5 times as many in number and value. I really really had to scratch my head to come up with something the little one would really like, as her own little person.

Poor thing. We got some monetary gifts "to prepare" for her and she got things like fancy Haba bocks and whatnot. She wuldn't play with them for years but it was all I could think of... Ds loved them of course.

My family gifts by exact dollar amount as well, give our take $5.

#15 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Same number, except for any baby in the house. Usually, they get two from us, plus PJs on Christmas Eve, plus one Santa gift. The baby will get one from us and one from Santa, and a new sleeper on Christmas Eve. This year, my toddler is getting three, but only because I happened to find three that I really, really thought she'd like. We also have two extra gifts...one for all four kids, from me and dh, and one for dd1 and ds2, from Santa.

Dollar value? Not even close. I have no idea what I spent on any of them, but ds1 usually ends up with something much more expensive than the younger ones (although that's mostly because he gets a lot of stuff tha requires shipping!). The baby usually gets the cheapest gifts. This year, dd1's two gifts (a Magic School Bus science kit, and a hula hoop) totalled about $35, including shipping on one of them. DS2's two gifts (an I See Me! personalized book, and a large tub of Lego) totalled about $80. But, dd1's are both guaranteed "hits", and ds2's are less so (I'm about 95% sure he'll love them, but I'm 110% sure dd1 will love hers). Dollar value just isn't important to me.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Last year? not at all. This year? somewhat. I think I have 9 things "for" ds1 and 8 for ds2 (monetarily, ~75 for ds1 and ~50 for ds2). But some of DS2's stuff is more for both of them, where as most of ds1's stuff is for 'him'. :shrug

#17 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No.

My sister and I talked about this. She does, I do not. It is hard because often, what I get, includes things they needed anyway. So how fair is it if one child gets clothes they needed anyway and a new chair for his room, then the next gets only toys, does it need to be equal? Not really. Plus, here, the public high schools all require the kids have computers, so we have started giving computers to kids when they are in the last holiday before 9th grade. And I am not going to go out and try to spend as much on toys and such as I did for that. Older children needed new fencing equipment so they are getting it, because the gym they do to requires they have it to continue. But I am not going to attempt to give the same dollars worth in toys. DS16 needs new clothes and a coat. He will get it as a gift, even though, it is not like he is asking for a specific high price item, I am just picking him something out that looks like what teens wear these days, nothing special.

See what I am saying?

#18 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 PM

I will be the lone dissenter, so fay :). I spend similarly on each. If your heart's desire is X and it's more than your brothers he gets more loot. That's just they way it is in our house. Works for us (and them).
#19 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Cost not really, number we keep the same.  That being said, I don't go and buy one dollar store toys and the other high end items.  It just ends up that often DS has more spent on him because his interests even at 3 1/2 are more expensive then DD's at 21 months, or the big gift for one of them costs more then the big gift for the other.  They both are getting a big gift, DD's just ended up costing half as much as DS' this year.  It isn't an intentional thing, but we don't worry about keeping them both to the same dollar amount or even close if there is something one would love that is $10 and that the other would love that is $50.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#20 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM

I don't worry about making it perfectly equal in number or money, but it generally comes fairly close. Although we do wrap up hand me down gifts to DS, and I consider the original value of them making a holiday budget, so I guess technically he gets less $ spent on him.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#21 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I don't really keep track of the dollar amount, but they get fairly equivalent gifts, and they do usually get the same number of gifts. 

This. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#22 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Monetarily, our 6yo is getting more than our 4 yo.  But they are getting the exact same quantity of gifts. I'm sure as they get older and realize the monetary value of things we will make that more even as well.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#23 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

Same number, very similar monetary value. 

Yup.  This has what we have generally done all along (the kids are now 9 & 11).  This year there is about a 10% difference in the amount we spent.  Additionally, we don't count the cost of their christmas pajamas (that they will open when we celebrate solstice on the 21st) but now that DD is in juniors instead of kids' sizes her's cost significantly more than his'.

#24 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 PM

right now, no. theyre both under 2, and i dont even have any interest for giving ds1 gifts, but i still try.

later on, i will try to make things equal. i will also try not to make it only equal money-wise. once i got a very expensive gift from my parents, and that was it. my brothers all got tons of inexpensive things that probably = the cost of my gift, but i felt so left out only opening one gift, while my brothers just kept going and going and going.

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#25 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Right now my kids are 2.5yo and 5.5yo so monetary value is not an issue with them.  My toddler is going to be more happy with one of the $7 gifts I have for her than her sister will be when she opens a $40 gift I have for her (but I'm hoping the sister eventually loves the $40 gift!!)  

How MANY presents they have to open, however, will be a very big issue.  I am trying to keep it as equal as possible.  In our house, we take turns opening presents so I keep a pretty close tab on how many gifts are left under the tree so that we aren't all left watching one child open gifts when everyone else is done. 

#26 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 PM

# of gifts yes - they normally get one gift each and one shared gift.

Last year, the dollar amount was really different but that is because my son wanted a telescope (~200) and all my daughter wanted was a veterinary hospital for stuffed animals (~25).  They were five and didn't care about the amount spent - they think everything from Santa is free!  My son said 'Good thing I asked for the telescope for Christmas when Santa makes it.  If I w/h asked for one for my birthday you and daddy w/h/h to pay for it.'smile.gif

This year they want the same thing so the $ is the same. 

#27 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 PM

It was easier to keep the $$ amount similar when they were younger (I have 8, 7, and 7 year olds).

Now their interests are pretty divergent.  I do keep quantities similar (we also do the taking turns opening presents thing).  My twin DSes tend to get the more expensive stuff now (they are both lego fiends and on Christmas and birthdays we go for the super special sets).  My crafty DD is actually more happy with a bunch of craft materials (that I collect through the year often at bargain prices).  They all have DSi handhelds so they all get an equal number of games.  And while some of the stocking stuffers are similar (the few sweet treats, and um...the mini whoopie cushions that I know they are going to go nuts over and my DH is probably going to kill me), but..my DD is (naturally) pulling away from many shared interests which is bittersweet.

#28 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Past years I have made sure both the dollar amount and the number were the same. This year there is a fairly large difference between how much I spent on each one with one getting around $120 spent and the other $70, but they are both getting what they wanted so I confident they will each be happy. I did still make sure there were the same number, but what that really mean is I wrapped the presents so there were the same number under the tree. Similar things got grouped into one present and I made sure that at the end they each had the same number to open. I don't buy extra gifts to make it even.

I remember as a kid counting the number of presents (my parents always made sure it was equal).

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#29 of 45 Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 PM

While I don't keep things *exactly* equal, I'm generally aware of how much each kid is getting and try to keep it relatively "fair."  My 16-month-old won't notice, and she's getting fewer gifts than the older two.  We have one "big" gift for each kid (and, this year, an additional big gift that we're giving them jointly).  Then they each have a pair of PJs, and a book.  The youngest will only have 3-4 things in her stocking (one of her gifts is a doll, and it will basically fill her stocking) while the older two will have a lot in their stockings (stockings are far-and-away my favorite holiday ritual, and I have a tendency to fill everyone's stockings rather...*adequately*).  I don't worry at all about keeping things fair monetarily; my kids don't really know what things cost yet, so they don't care.  But I do try to keep the number and types of gifts similar.  

Also, our kids share nearly everything, so keeping "their" gifts equal is really more about what each of them has to open, with a few exceptions.  There were several things (a couple DVDs, crayons, colored pencils, modeling clay, et cetera) that we just put into their own pile when we were wrapping and then assigned them a recipient only after we'd sort of laid everything out and figured out whom was receiving what, and only a few things that really seemed specific to a particular child (my son is getting one small Lego set, and my daughter is getting a couple outfits for her dolls).  Otherwise, it's all going to go to the same bedroom/playroom to be shared.  

#30 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 03:05 PM

I try to keep the number of presents the same,or I try to spend the same on each child.This year however it is a bit off since ds wanted legos.Those are soooo expensive.He has a few free ones he won from cartoon network,and I bought 2.Dd wanted video games and I got her a book.Granny will buy for them and generally she does equal amounts. I don't think the kids actually count the number of presents,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page