Train travel with young kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone done it?  We're considering an Amtrak vacation which would include an overnight on teh train.  We're thinking of from Chicago to somwhere warmer like New Orleans or San Antonio.  The kids are one 4yo and two 1-yo's as well as dh and myself.  I'm not sure if we're crazy, or if it would be feasible.  At our destination we're not planning much, maybe a beach or a hotel with a pool.  Just relaxation time.  Any tips or ideas would be appreciated! 

How do infants sleep on a train?  I'd be terrified of them falling off a bed, but don't have any idea what else to do.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM

When my son was 2 we rode Amtrak from California to Texas and got a sleeper car.  It was fantastic!  Having our own space was great...they would bring us food if we didn't feel like going to the dining car. When he got bored, we took a walk through the train.  We could access our luggage. It was super fun.  I highly recommend it.  We plan to do it again someday.

As for infants...just put them to bed on the bottom bunk and put pillows on the floor? 

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

Old 12-27-2010, 01:18 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We took trains all over Europe one summer, as well as some overnight boats. It was way better than flying because it was so much fun! Put your LO on the bottom bunk. I actually slept with my son in he tiny boat cabins because I was afraid of falling off the top bunk myself (we slept head to foot )

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM

We took amtrak with my DD when she was 12 mo and again when she was 23 and 24 mo.  Our trip is 13 hours and includes part of an overnight (3am -4pm one way and 7pm to 8am on the way back).  We get a sleeper room and really enjoy it.  I cosleep on the bottom bunk w/my dd and my dh slept on the top bunk.  My sleep wasn't wonderful but for the experience it is worth it.  We are planning another train trip this coming February and my newly 3 yr old DD is extremely excited.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM

I think it would be doable with a sleeper or a good amount of roaming space for the kids. However, having taken a stuff-to-the-gills Christmas-week Amtrak with a 3.5, 1 yo, and a 16 y.o. exchange a couple of years ago, I would recommend that you bring as many amusing/distracting things as possible for your LOs! We were only on the train for 3.5 hours, but it seemed like so much longer.

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM

I think it would be doable with a sleeper or a good amount of roaming space for the kids. However, having taken a stuff-to-the-gills Christmas-week Amtrak with a 3.5, 1 yo, and a 16 y.o. exchange a couple of years ago, I would recommend that you bring as many amusing/distracting things as possible for your LOs! We were only on the train for 3.5 hours, but it seemed like so much longer.

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM

*duplicate post, sorry :) *

Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM

I was going to ask this very same question!  We are considering an around-the-country train trip (with a few two day stops in certain cities) for this summer.  DD will be almost 4 and DS 1.5yo.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  But I could also see how it might be hard to keep the kiddos entertained.

anyone else have any more tips??

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Trains have built in white noise and rocking. If you can get them to consider sleeping, they'll fall asleep and sleep great.

I've gone cross country with just me and dd three times now, (3 days, with a transfer in Union Station) riding in the coach class. It is stressful enough I wouldn't recommend it as a amusing ride, but it was less stressful than my one cross country flight alone with her.

DD's favorite things at a year and 2 years were to walk up and down the train and find people to talk to. Bring a small back pack of toys (that you wouldn't mind losing, just in case) and find other kids to share with.  Try to have some natural toys like a doll or something because various Amish/Mennonite families travel by train a lot and their girls usually have dolls (and were kind enough to let DD hold their "babies".=D)

Two adults will make things lots easier.

Also, bring a easy to put on carrier for your 1 year old. Like an ergo or mei tai.

As for falling off, dd napped laying on the seat next to me, and slept pretty much on me. The trip I took in an actual sleeper car with a bed was even easier.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

aaaaah mama it depends on your childrens personality.

dd loves meeting new people and exploring new things. so a trainride was a blast for her. she found everything fascinating so entertaining her was no big deal. she has been on loooooooong plane and car rides from 8 months on (short ones before - by short i mean 2 hours). she has always had a blast. 

as children we did the railways every summer. i still remember my bro's and i excitement at the train station. it started my love of trains. 

if i had to choose i would anyday choose the train over any sort of vehicle travel. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List