Television: What do you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 3 month old daughter and a tv. Dh and I are trying to figure out how much or how little we should let her watch as she gets older. I didn't watch much tv growing up, but I do now and I enjoy it. We typically watch primetime shows and I'll have it on sometimes in the afternoons while I am doing other things. 

We know we will not use the tv as a babysitter and we will actively encourage exploration and play indoors and outdoors, so what harm could tv do? On the other hand, maybe it is better to not let her watch any at all?

What are your opinions about television? 

#2 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM

I am against 22mo DS watching TV but not against adult shows occasionally being on in the background -- and by that I mean, if necessary due to DS going to bed late etc., the adults in our house may watch an hour or so of TV in the evening while DS plays. Nothing violent etc. -- mostly cooking/DIY type shows if we can get them to come in (we don't have cable). I do feel by it sometimes being on in the background, it prevents the TV from becoming this great big exciting mystery -- so when we are visiting others, he pays no attention to their TV either. In a perfect world, though, (one where DS went to bed before midnight!) my family would be entirely TV-free!! I also know there are studies that have shown TV in the background to interfere with children's play, so we really really do try to minimize even that as much as possible.

I don't feel it's appropriate for my DS to watch shows because I feel that he needs to spend his time doing other things like running and playing etc. that are essential to his development. I also hear of lots of TV-related tantrums -- i.e. you let them watch one show a day or something & then they start asking for it constantly, all day long -- and I'd rather just avoid that altogether. I also don't feel that kid's programming content is appropriate for my DS -- too much violence, moral lessons I don't agree with, mass marketing to kids, etc. Plus I hate that glazed-over zombie look most kids get when sitting in front of the TV. It just doesn't seem healthy to me. 

I take things day by day & reserve the right to change my mind at any time. :) I suppose there could be some situation in the future that might lead me to re-evaluate our decisions, but for now & the foreseeable future, he will not watch TV,

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Television is an entertainment device and an information resource. It all depends on how you use it. For our family, it's been fine because we have developed a thoughtful attitude to watching it.  We aren't a household that has the television turned on in the background all day long. I admit there is sometimes a little mindless viewing that may go on when we are relaxing at the end of a busy day. 

As far as the entertainment value of t.v., I think storytelling in film in an art form, just like storytelling in writing. We enjoy watching and critiquing shows and movies on t.v. My kids are both teens with a passion for the arts. They both have an interest in film and DS has lately been talking about studying media arts in university. He's taken a film course in high school, and has probably learned as much in that class as he has in his English literature classes. Not only has he learned about basic literary techniques (plot, character, metaphors, allegories etc.), he's also studied use of cinematography (camera angles, special effects etc.) and musical scores to contribute, support and extend the story. 

In a similar fashion, my kids have become very critical observers of advertising techniques. They don't mindlessly absorb television commercials. They often have fun re-creating absurd versions of the advertising they see. I think that allowing them to watch commercials and encouraging them to de-construct and analyze them has reduced the power of advertising in general in their lives. 

There is a lot of mediocre storytelling available. Although I encourage my kids to limit their viewing, I don't insist on a rigid ban on this kind of television. I consider it a little like reading mediocre books. There are a lot of bad kids' books out there. But I don't expect my kids to read Greek tragedies and Shakespeare all the time, likewise, I don't expect them to watch only highbrow art films, although they often do.

They also watch a lot of informational/educational television. DD's favourite channels are Animal Planet and Discovery. We also like to watch international shows and films, because we find it's fun to learn about different lifestyles that way, rather than in a dry documentary travelogue style show. 

At age 3 months, it's easy to restrict television now. At this age, I don't think television has anything to offer to her, so I wouldn't sit her in front of it for her own viewing pleasure. As she gets older and starts visiting friends in their homes, it will be harder to control. I think it's a good idea to develop a mindful approach and decide how much and what kind of television you are comfortable with. When it is time for her to make her own decisions about her television viewing habits, you will have helped her develop useful tools and a good attitude about it.  

#4 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 AM

I only use television as a babysitter.  I don't think that it has any educational merit until a child is at least 3, and just serves to keep them entranced and to sell them things.  That said, sometimes I need them entranced!  I have 3 kids all close together, and sometimes I need to keep the older 2 quiet and happy while I tend to the baby (and when #2 was born I also used television as a babysitter for #1).

I've read a lot about the impact of media and television on children, and most of the adverse affects you hear about are unlikely to make much of an impact when television is only used in moderation (ie not on as background noise all day) and when parents play with and talk to their toddlers.  I don't think that television is harmful for kids, but I do think that usually kids have something better they could be doing.  I also think that it's very stimulating, and inappropriate as downtime.  I'm also very concerned about marketing to children and my kids NEVER watch any children's television aimed at their ages.  Sometimes we watch PBS in the late afternoon because I love Ruff Ruffman :)

So my vote is for TV as babysitter.  thumb.gif  We don't have a set TV mission statement, except that less is more.  We'll go  months without turning on the television, and then have a week where everyone's sick, the weather's bad, I'm 9 months pregnant and too exhausted to move, the newborn and the two toddlers hit their fussy periods at the exact same moment and I need to tend to the newborn and keep the older two from literally killing eachother ("We do NOT sit on eachother's heads!" is one of those things you don't expect to be saying).  And then the TV is on 6 hours a day for a week running.

Lucy Alden likes this.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#5 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 AM

We try to limit the amount the kids watch. It has gotten a little more difficult now that my older ds is old enough to turn it on. Although having it in a cabinet with the doors shut helps to keep ds from thinking about t.v. Now that ds1 is at school during the days I'm able to limit it more for ds2, who seems more entranced by it then ds1 was as a baby. Although I will admit to using it as a babysitter for ds2 (13 months) during the day for 30-45 min because I keep other children for childcare and I need him occupied while I put them down for naps. ( He has become pretty clingy lately and will cry when he sees me take the baby upstairs and two crying babies will not allow either of them to fall asleep.

I think it was easier to limit tv with my first. The hardest part of limiting it for ds1 as a baby was for myself. I had a hard time being home initially and struggled with the isolation and a little PPD and used the t.v as background noise for part of the day, usually PBS shows in the morning. Fortunately ds wasn't too interested in tv at that point.

Now we typically only watch PBS or videos like Wiggles, Thomas Train, etc.  I'm not a fan of most Disney movies or commercial content of other tv. But fortunately our reception only brings in PBS anyway.

#6 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 AM

I love tv, in moderation.  And I think it's really dependent on your kids and your family...but for us, tv isn't an issue.  DD might watch 2 hours per day, which is Superwhy and Dinosaur train in the morning (that's pretty routine) and then I let her watch again around 5 while I'm getting dinner ready (that is about 50/50 because sometimes she helps me or is busy playing something else).  Sometimes we all just need to "veg" a bit and tv is great for that.  We're an active family, we do a lot of things, so I don't mind if she watches a few shows here and there. 

Some kids seem addicted to it.  Some parents rely on tv really heavily.  Sometimes kids are sick or you are sick and you'll find yourself watching too much!  I just try to stay aware of how much we're all watching.

#7 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm an "all things in moderation" kind of person for TV as well. I tried very hard not to have TV for kids under 2. We didn't quite succeed with dd, as her older brother was watching and by the time she was 18 months, it was hard to keep her away. But he only watched 30 minutes or so a day.

I have two TV recommendations. The first is to NOT have the TV on unless you're actively watching it. Actually put it in another room so that you have to go there to watch it. TV should not be background noise. Kids don't play as creatively with a TV on.

The second is to get a DVR if you can afford it. The DVR  has really changed how we watch TV. We don't have to wait for shows to come on. We don't have to be tied to a specific time. We just watch what we want when we want. It also makes it possible to avoid commercials. My kids don't  understand channel surfing because they find the program they want on the DVR, they watch it and then they're done. It really helps us keep a sane limit on TV shows.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 AM

We have recently talked about shutting off all of the cable. I'm all for it but DH is balking even though he rarely watches it! The reaction of my oldest daughter, "Does that mean we won't have Animal Planet?? I think I'm going to die!" LOL

My kids do watch some cartoons but they like Animal Planet and the History Channel also. I don't let them watch tween shows like Hannah Montana or iCarly. I think TV can be okay, especially if you are a visual learner (I am, I can read something 5 times and still be confused but see it once and know how to do it.)

I will say that it does irk me when all a kid or adult can talk about is what was on TV the night before!

#9 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 AM

MY son is too young for TV (he's 11 months), and we don't even have a TV right now. But after age 2, we probably will limit what he can watch to less than an hour a day. And we would probably time when he can watch for optimum effect for mommy and daddy (some focused time to accomplish things like writing) and we will def. monoitor what he watches too. It needs to have some redemming value and not be riddled with violence, even cartoon violence.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#10 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 AM

We got rid of cable when DD was born, but we've recently got a Netflix subscription and their streaming service has been invaluable and a good replacement for a DVR.  They have lots of fun little movies and shows that my kids really enjoy.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#11 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM

With our first, we didn't let her watch any children's TV until she was 2. She did see adult programs on now and then. We continue to be careful of what she sees now at age 4, and I tend to prescreen shows that she hasn't watched before. We have a handful of favorite shows, including Sesame Street & some reading-focused PBS shows, and don't feel the need to stray too far from that. She's only seen a couple of (carefully selected) movies. We feel comfortable with that. And yes, I do sometimes use the TV as a babysitter, because otherwise I would never get dinner made some days! If there were another activity that kept them all getting along and not making messes long enough for me to cook, I'd do it, but "everything in moderation" so I'm ok with the babysitting now and then. As for commericals, that is a big deal to us, so we have a DVR and skip through all commercials. Even my toddlers will alert me when they need me to come skip forward, they yell, " 'mercial" and bring me the remote. smile.gif

Two concerns about TV: if it's on in the background while you're talking to a baby, it can be difficult for them to distinguish the sounds you're making. For language development, it is better to turn it off when you're interacting with the baby.

The other thing is that kids can learn to "check out" by watching TV when they're upset. It numbs you by providing escape, so it's just good to be aware of your patterns of when and why you're turning the TV on. If a parent puts the TV on when a child is upset, they learn to turn to something outside themselves to calm down, instead of learning to handle their own emotions.
mama*pisces likes this.
#12 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 PM

I grew up with pretty severe TV limitations. I was allowed to watch one show a week. It is funny because I don't "get" a lot of the TV references my friends and hubby make.

We are an avid football family so my son does see a fair amount of football. But, currently at 2 1/2 he pays only scant attention to football. We do not do Disney or cartoons because to me most of them seem to exist only to sell stuff to my kid.

We have broken out some You Tube stuff to allow him to watch butterfly videos (he knows more about them than I do) and I have introduced him to a few Schoolhouse Rock videos.

And like LynnS6 said-a DVR has been awesome. We never watch shows when they are actually on. The only commercials I see now are on Sundays.

#13 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 01:29 PM

We don't have a TV and have no plans to buy one. We do have a Netflix subscription, good internet service, and a digital projector. We didn't let DS watch anything at all until he was nearly two, and then we started letting him watch a few episodes of "Signing Time!" and David Attenborough's various nature documentaries here and there. Now that I have a newborn and a toddler, I will admit to letting him watch Wallace and Gromit and The Snowman more than I'd like. bag.gif

Since DH works in the film industry and we're total cinephiles, I expect that our children will grow up with a healthy appreciation for filmmaking as an art form. BUT, conversely, DH's experience working in that industry has made us very, very conscious of the massive marketing schemes that go into motion pictures and TV, especially in children's programming, and how saturated even ostensibly "artistic" films are with subtle and not-so-subtle advertising and propaganda. So we're extremely selective about what we watch and have a huge list of "no way" movies, shows, and franchises that we won't allow our children to see. DH and I do watch films after the little ones are asleep, but staring at a screen simply isn't a family activity for us and we hope to keep it that way until the kids are quite a bit older.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#14 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We love TV, and it's been really fun. I think parental involvement is the key. Kids often have a hard time distinguishing advertisements from programming, so it can be vital to have parents involved there as well as with plots, characters, values in the art, etc. You still have time to feel it out. :)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#15 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Although we don't have a TV and see no need for one, I'm also in the "moderation in all things" camp. I would caution against having the TV on while you're doing other things. It directly contradicts your goal of encouraging exploration and play. TV is so attractive to kids that what you consider "background" may very easily become the main attraction.
#16 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 PM

I have no problem with television, and I don't actively limit it.  It can babysit my kids anytime I need a break.  Around here, tv is for resting, and unwinding after school for a while, or in the mornings when they are waking up.  If a child is sick at all, I have no issues  leaving it on the entire day.  Eventually, the computer, video games and cell phones become a bigger problem than the tv.  

When I was growing up, we had our morning shows before/after school, or on Saturdays, but the rest of our day was taken up playing outside.  We watched the Ray Raynor show before school while we ate our breakfast (and hoped he'd say our school was closed for snow days)  We came home and watched Gilligan's island then went to play.

These days though, kids stay inside most of the day.  There are always kid's shows on all day.  It's almost sad how much tv is available for kids now.  It's even sadder that kids don't just automatically go outside to play.  We could go outside and stand on a corner, and eventually 20 kids would show up, then we'd decide what to play.  (those days are gone forever.. I'm just feeling nostalgic)  *I'm in no way suggesting you should send kids to stand on a corner.

#17 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Please tell me how you have taught this....and where you might start.  Mine are 6 and almost 4, the 6 year old was pretty bad about begging for junk till I started taking away the one show he likes on a "commercial channel"--Spongebob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

In a similar fashion, my kids have become very critical observers of advertising techniques. They don't mindlessly absorb television commercials. They often have fun re-creating absurd versions of the advertising they see. I think that allowing them to watch commercials and encouraging them to de-construct and analyze them has reduced the power of advertising in general in their lives. 

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#18 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I also LOVE my DVR and I'll never again be without one.  Even if my mom didn't live here--she's the main reason we keep cable--I would still want and have it.  Mainly because I can record shows and watch them after the kids are in bed!  (and I admit the 6 yr old is much easier to get to bed when he's seen something is going to be on at/after his bedtime when I can record it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

I'm an "all things in moderation" kind of person for TV as well. I tried very hard not to have TV for kids under 2. We didn't quite succeed with dd, as her older brother was watching and by the time she was 18 months, it was hard to keep her away. But he only watched 30 minutes or so a day.

I have two TV recommendations. The first is to NOT have the TV on unless you're actively watching it. Actually put it in another room so that you have to go there to watch it. TV should not be background noise. Kids don't play as creatively with a TV on.

The second is to get a DVR if you can afford it. The DVR  has really changed how we watch TV. We don't have to wait for shows to come on. We don't have to be tied to a specific time. We just watch what we want when we want. It also makes it possible to avoid commercials. My kids don't  understand channel surfing because they find the program they want on the DVR, they watch it and then they're done. It really helps us keep a sane limit on TV shows.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#19 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I totally agree, and I have seen much the same with my own kids. I always mentioned the tricks of advertising to them. ie: better lighting over the "good/better" product, talking ridiculously loud to get your attention (my kids called this the "im yelling for no reason so it must be really cool!" trick), and etc. We talked about what products actually do, what they are made of, why people want them (ie, they have real meaning and value in some way or because everyone says it's awesome?), is it worth the price, and etc. The acting alone in some commercials is funny enough to watch and then make fun of. ;)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#20 of 54 Old 12-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

Please tell me how you have taught this....and where you might start.  Mine are 6 and almost 4, the 6 year old was pretty bad about begging for junk till I started taking away the one show he likes on a "commercial channel"--Spongebob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I don't have an answer for you, but there's an excellent book called Buy Buy Baby, by Susan Gregory Thomas, that really changed the way I look at... well, just about everything directed at children!  It's really eye-opening.  I definitely recommend reading it so that YOU understand all the marketing being aimed at you.  I consider myself a very savvy, educated consumer and extremely cynical, but this book offered a lot of incredibly fascinating information.

#21 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 AM

I am opposite to most here.  While we didn't actively sit ds in front of the tv as an infant it was often on in the background.  Yes, background noise.  Until ds was nearly 3.5 he rarely saw comercial adverts as we had on CBC kids, TVO kids, Treehouse and PBS none which aired commercials....when he first saw an ad it was for something he already had and he would get annoyed at the tv because it was telling him to get something he already had. I disagree that a child can't play with as much imagination if thee tv is on all the time....I haven't seen many children with a more active imagination and creative play than ds.  I think because it is on often he has become desensitized to it...He never gets that glassy-eyed look stuck in front of it.  He has his fave shows but doesn't have to sit and watch all the time.  We lso have Netflix that we watch  (ds can totally find what he is looking for faster than I can lol)

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#22 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

This is such a great discussion! I agree with everything in moderation. I find television to be a great media for storytelling and can't really get into movies because they don't have enough time to develop characters as much as I like. I also enjoy watching football and some fun trashy stuff like Real Housewives or Ellen. If we move next summer I might consider canceling cable and getting Netflix on Demand. We watch most of our favorite shows online anyway. This would save a whole lot of money, and might encourage me to be more creative with my downtime.

Right now our 3 month old will stare at the tv if it is on (especially football) but she also stares at the Christmas Tree and at the kitchen light, so I don't think it is a big deal developmentally. When she starts to understand that a tv is different from the kitchen light, then we will reevaluate. 

#23 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 AM

I grew up with very limited TV (we got our first set when I was 8, I watched PBS only, and no more than about 1/2 hour a week, on a black and white set with rabbit ears).  I was still only watching Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers in middle school!  But, when I went to friends' houses, the TV would mesmerize me.  I couldn't get enough.  And as a young teen, my mom would take the knobs of the TV with her and leave me and my siblings home alone.  We figured out how to use plyers to turn the set on!  Anyway, when DH and I had kids, we decided to allow some TV ~ Thomas videos for DS for example.  But then it got out of control!  The first words out of DD's mouth every morning were, "Can I watch a little TV?"  And then she couldn't stop and threw a fit when it came time to turn it off.  I've gone through LONG phases of being totally TV free, other phases of allowing some limited TV, and brief times where it's on all the time (when we're all sick with the stomach flu, for example).  Limited, with specified times and shows, seems to work best for my children (ages 4, 6, and 9).

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#24 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
While we didn't actively sit ds in front of the tv as an infant it was often on in the background.  Yes, background noise.

Right, same here. I sometimes crave silence, but more often than not I've preferred to have the TV on for "company" and something to listen to. My kids never really seemed to auto veg in front of it. They had many "fave" shows, but they never got stuck. My son, now grown, particularly loves TV and all things media. It's been really great and informative for him, and in addition to all the reading he's done, I think it's helped him be a terrific writer.

#25 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 AM

There is actually A LOT of research out there about how TV as background noise is very detrimental to children's language skills and particularly to play.  The book "Into the Mind of Babes" (which is not at all anti-TV) covers it very well if you're interested.  I'm not in any way anti television, but the research on the detrimental effects of television as all-day background noise is very, very clear.

LynnS6 likes this.

#26 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 AM

We don't really watch tv. We have cable, but until recently, we never used it. DH has started letting the kids watch a few Saturday morning cartoons recently. Otherwise, we mostly just watch DVDs, and how many we watch varies wildly. Before we lost Aaron, we probably only watched 1-2 DVDs (full length movies) a week. During the six months or so after he died, it was probably more like 2-3 per day (that really hurts to type). I'm not sure how many we watch now, but it's more than 1-2 a week, and less than 2-3 per day. The kids watch a bit more when I'm really busy or sick, as a general rule. I do resort to using it as a babysitter more than I ever expected to, as a way of coping with ds2.

The main reason we don't watch tv is that dh and I really don't like it. DH was pretty much tv-free in his apartment when I met him. I had just left a marriage to a man who kept the tv on 24/7 for "background noise", which drove me absolutely insane, as I need peace and quiet as much as I need food and water. Once I'd kicked him out, the tv held very little appeal for me, and I cut back on it more and more. So...we still watch more movies than I would in my ideal world, but we're not at the "OMG - what am I doing??" level we hit in the weeks and months following Aaron's death. I have to admit that, as bad as I felt about parking them in front of so many movies back then, the tv and DVD/VHS players were a lifesaver. I really wasn't very functional.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#27 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 11:45 AM

We don't have TV, but we have netflix and a projector.  

I also only use shows as a babysitter, except for the occasional weekend night when we will all sit and watch a Miyazaki fils together.  My son never watched shows before 2 mainly because we don't watch stuff while he is awake, and he showed no interest in 'kids' shows before 2.  

Honestly netflix saved my life for the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy.  I was so sick and fatigued, that often I would spend 3 hours laying on the couch in the mornings while DS watched Diego or Caillou on netflix.  

Now we watch about a show a day and it works out nicely for us both to have downtime.  I spend every moment of every day with my son and I refuse to feel guilty about putting Kipper on for 45 minutes.  I love that netflix doesn't have commercials, as I am not comfortable with commercials.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#28 of 54 Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Question for those with Netflix: Do they have current tv shows on, or is it only shows that have come out on dvd?

#29 of 54 Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 PM

I absolutely believe in moderation as well.  I do not see TV as inherently evil, but I have had negative experiences with it and do not wish to pass them along to my kids.

I am different from some of the posters as I was constantly put in front of the TV when I was growing up.  I watched TV ALL DAY LONG for as long as I can remember.  My parents put a TV set in my room when I was around 4 or 5 years old and I spent most of my childhood parked right in front of it.  I was an only child to older parents who mostly felt bothered by having a youngster around and even back then I kind of knew that.

Now, I really don't watch TV.  Sometimes I will turn on a football or baseball game, sometimes I will watch the Antiques Roadshow, but I have little to no interest in any other shows.  Our TV is not anywhere near our main living space and is kept in a cabinet.  We do not have cable or Netflix and most likely would never spend the money on something like that (way too cheap!!).  Soooooo... because of this, DS and DD do not watch TV.  They have 2 videos that they watch every so often - one is a Little Pim spanish language show and the other is not a cartoon but actual people operating heavy machines and showing how buildings are built and roads are made.  This seems to satisfy their need for media entertainment and gives me time to myself if I need it.  Oh, sometimes we watch some cute animals on You Tube, too.  I am not opposed to buying them some more videos or letting them watch something if they find interest in it, but I would not encourage it and I will strictly limit the time they spend in front of the television.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#30 of 54 Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssheri View Post

Question for those with Netflix: Do they have current tv shows on, or is it only shows that have come out on dvd?

It is mostly last season and before, either streaming or on dvd.  Hulu is free and has many current shows 5 episodes at a time plus archives.  Netflix has movies as well as tv so it is really a nice resource. 

We don't have a tv and I have no plans of getting one.  I don't like a lot of the content on tv and I don't want it in my home.  We do use netflix for one movie on Saturday and Sunday and I monitor the type of content that comes in with the movies.  We also rent movies and watch netflix when dd is sick because I don't mind dd watching a lot when she is ill.  I used to sit and watch with dd when she was younger and I limited to only times when she was sick or during finals week when I was in school.  My dd is 8 now and I am a little more relaxed about it, and also more burnt out and in need of a break sometimes during the weekends.  I let her watch movies on weekends mostly so I can have some me time and sometimes so we can connect while doing something mindless and fun.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page