Are you not taking your child out when it's cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I ask because a neighbor of mine (she's really nice and I know she meant well) saw me leaving our building today and reminded me that it's really chilly out and told me it's not the best weather to be taking DD outside. A friend I hadn't spoken to in a while called me on Monday and I told her I'd just gotten inside from taking DD to play in the snow and she was mortified that I'd take her out in this cold. She said I shouldn't have taken her out in this weather. I find this so odd. Do people in Buffalo hibernate until it warms up?

DD and I are always bundled up well when the weather requires it. I'm someone who really, really doesn't like the cold (for me 40 degrees is more like 30) but I never let the cold prevent me from doing things and going places. I can't imagine being cooped up inside all winter because of the cold.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM

We are outside rain, sleet, snow and cold. It is rarely what I would consider "too cold" to be out in the fresh air and we live in New England. cold.gif I just don't get it.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

I took DD out today for the first time in a couple of days. It was around 45 degrees outside. The only reason I haven't taken her out is because the wind was gusting up to 45 mph..and the wind chill was 18 degrees Fahrenheit. If I don't take her outside she gets extremely cranky because she is bored. Usually her dad takes her out with him, he likes to be out in the cold more than I do. As long as she is properly dressed, I don't see what the problem is. If it is really cold, like below 40, we usually only stay out for a little bit, but she loves to be outside, and we would both be miserable if we didn't go out. If it is raining, sometimes I take her to the children's gym to blow off some steam.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#4 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I don't get it either. I didn't go out yesterday because I wasn't feeling so hot but today, I couldn't not go out. DD and I schlepped over the mounds of snow in our neighborhood to walk to the grocery store. Dressed warm and it felt good. I'm convinced I feel better because I got some fresh air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

We are outside rain, sleet, snow and cold. It is rarely what I would consider "too cold" to be out in the fresh air and we live in New England. cold.gif I just don't get it.

#5 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM

I live in Canada and if we didn't go outside in the winter we'd go crazy!!!!!  It has to be really cold for us to not go outside because it's "too cold".  Sometimes we don't use our car because of bad weather and road conditions, but that doesn't stop us from playing outside.

caffix.gif

#6 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
MJB

My school aged kids play outside in all weather, appropriately dressed. I won't go out with the baby (except to and from the car) if it's below 20 out. It's just too cold for *me*. It was 35 yesterday and we all went on a nice walk. 

#7 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Temperatures were in the teens yesterday (Farenheit) and warmer but still below freezing today & DS and I had a wonderful time both days playing out in the snow. It wouldn't occur to me that it's 'too cold' to be outside, except maybe for a newborn or something (not that I'd stay inside with a newborn, just be more cautious...) I do tend to take DS out much less & for shorter amounts of time because no one is out & about so we get lonely. Plus it's a pain getting all bundled up & sometimes I'm lazy, though I still make an effort to go out to play at least a little most days (and we go SOMEWHERE, indoors or out, pretty much every single day, I hate being cooped up!) 

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

People in Buffalo are getting on your case for going outside in the cold (my whole family lives in Buffalo, and I live a couple of cities down the Thruway)? Really dizzy.gif? Do they not realize that the winter has barely started, and you'll literally go insane if good parenting requires staying inside for the duration of cold weather? 30 degrees isn't even that cold-- practically sub-tropical compared to what it'll be like outside a month from now!

I wouldn't worry about it-- as long as everybody is dressed appropriately for the weather (or you at least have warm stuff with you, lest an independent-minded toddler declare that she Does. Not. Need. A. Coat. and then change her mind). Enjoy the snow!

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#9 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM

my pedi said its way too cold to take out a child my DD's age right now...

I take her out but for short periods of time...just to play

I don't not do errands or anything like that.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#10 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We live in a warm climate, but we enjoy snow vacations and spend nearly the whole time outside playing in the snow. I know several people who live in cold climates and none of them seem to shy away from spending time outdoors in the winter. I don't like being outside in freezing rain or really harsh wind, but if it's an otherwise nice day and is just cold out (and assuming we had all the appropriate cold-weather clothing) I can't imagine needing to stay indoors. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#11 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM

I stop taking my kids out for non-necessary reasons if and when the temperatures reach about 5 below. But that's mostly because I don't enjoy that kind of cold. But that only rarely happens here in NJ, anyway. Our typical winter days hover between 20 and 40, and we'll go out freely at those temperatures. And in places where it gets a lot colder, people still go out-- of course they do. You just have to be sure and dress appropriately. I'd go nuts if we had to stay inside all the time.

I think there are a lot of people who still hang onto the idea that it's cold weather that causes colds and flu. This is a very persistent cultural myth we have. I had a student of mine whose mother told me that him having a cold was all his fault, because he refuses to put his gloves on when she tells him to. eyesroll.gif

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM

We go out in all weather. I won't do long walks with him if it is less then 10 degrees and windy because of the wind chill.

#13 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 02:06 PM

it is -29F today.  My oldest & the girl she is babysitting went sledding for approx 45 minutes.

I have always taken my kids out on errands when it is super cold.  It is ridiculous not to.   If we didn't go outside we would do NOTHING for 4-5MONTHS. 

When it is colder than today they don't normally go play outside as the risk of frostbite increases. 

We have had days where they've walked to school(5minutes if they aren't doddling) when it has been cold enough for skin to freeze in 1 minute.

#14 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 02:09 PM

We don't really have a choice on not going outside in the cold.  DS1 is 8 and goes to school and out to recess no matter what the weather is.  We have to go places.  Even when we had our first really cold snap (below 0F) we still went out to play, we just couldn't miss out on all that snow!

#15 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 02:47 PM

It's minus 10 right now. It has been minus zero, both day and night, for over a month straight. Will be another month, or two, or three, before all the snow melts. Exactly how would that work - not going out? 

Put it this way - snow in Florida or Arizona, I'd say stop the press and don't do a thing - except enjoy it. Anywhere else, get on with your life. 

#16 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

It's not the cold, it is that some people just think children can't deal with the elements (and that appropriate outside wear for growing children is a waste of money). Where we live it doesn't really get cold (8-12 deg C in winter), but it is often very windy, and it rains. Most kids I've known here do not have rainwear, and if they do, they have one of those quite hard plastic coats, with things sticking out of them, dressed like a ladybird, butterfly or dinosaur, with matching gumboots. Not really practical for a 2 yo, so doesn't work very well. Most kids only have fleece jackets or jerseys, no windproof jackets. Not that you need to have big expensive things, DD has wooly or thick cotton jerseys, a wool jacket, knitted wool leggings and a rain suits. It worked even in Sweden, when we had 3 months of snow up to to the window ledges. We got our rainwear in Europe, btw, good rainwear for kids is rare here. Also,parents don't want to go out and feel cold. As a result, in winter kids are often not outside for days. Parents would be angry if schools and day care facilities let kids go out in the rain.

We're lucky, we attend a Steiner playgroup, where we're out for the first half of the morning whatever the weather, and the kids (and parents) are expected to wear appropriate clothes.
#17 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Seriously, how do people think people in the Arctic Circle live???  That whole "being out in the cold gives you a cold" thing really bugs me.  How does that even make sense??  We live in Maryland, so it doesn't get really cold here, which means we go out all the time with just the basics (cheap winter coat, mittens, hat).  But a lot of my family lives in Vermont, and they're outside all the time in the winter.  My cousin's husband takes their 4 oldest boys (all under 12) hunting in the winter, from Vermont to Maine, for long periods of time, and they seem pretty healthy to me!!

#18 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Well, I would, if DS would cooperate! eyesroll.gif

" I live in Canada and if we didn't go outside in the winter we'd go crazy!!!!!"

Yes, yes, we are going crazy! (And it's only December!!!) lol.gif

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#19 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Well, we live in NYC, and going outside is part and parcel of maintaining sanity.  I would be surprised if upstate people warned of us cold weather, considering they constantly admonish us for our wussiness when it dumps two feet of snow here in the city.  Let the busy bodies dote and complain.  We NEED to get outside this apartment to avoid a Troy, Dunkirk, Battle of the Bulge.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#20 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If it's cold enough to worry about frostbite, I try to wait for dh to get home before i go out so at least the littler one doesn't have to go out with me.  Otherwise, I don't worry about weather.  I take even young babies out in the cold.

#21 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

We go out at least for a short walk and to play outside even when it is very cold.  I can't imagine staying cooped up all the time.  We do always bundle up and wear appropriate gear.

#22 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM

I've never kept my children inside because it is too cold.  The only weather that keeps my children inside is lightening or tornado sirens.

(I've had several parents at school say they do not think children should go outside at school if it is below freezing.  So I guess they do not think children should play in snow? eyesroll.gif

#23 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 PM

I don't like taking the kids out if it's below 10 degrees.  But that's b/c it hurts my face

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#24 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We go out in all kinds of weather.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#25 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 PM

I live in Beijing and Chinese people are really obsessive about keeping their kids out of the elements. Every time I take the kids out in the winter I get comments about how cold it is and how the kids shouldn't be out. Every time. People here are also firm believers in the theory that cold, and especially the wind, can cause colds.

I do tend to avoid going out when it is super cold just because I'm a wimp and I hate it. I grew up in the South so the when it gets down to -12C like it was the other day, with strong winds, I'm pretty miserable. But I recognize that the kids can't stay inside for three months, they'd go crazy, so we make an effort to go out and do stuff, even if it is only for a short amount of time.

: Mom to DS (10/29/07) and DD (12/1/09). Visit my blog in my profile to read about our lives in Beijing!
#26 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post

Most kids I've known here do not have rainwear ... good rainwear for kids is rare here.

Ha -- I just had to crack up at these comments coming from someone who lives in a town called Wellington of all things. lol.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM

We go outside in all kinds of weather including the cold. One of my goals as a parent is to raise my DD so she does NOT fear the cold.

I'm surprised a pediatrician would say it's too cold for children. It seems to me that lots of LO's don't get cold so easily -- they have these great little heating systems and they do just fine in the cold. It's the adults who get cold --  not the kids.

#28 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 PM

We avoid the cold if there is lots of wind. We also do not stay out very long at a time with our 3 and 5 year old, because they get cold quickly.  Our 8 year old loves to play outside in the snow and does for long periods of time.  He was in and out of the house for most of the day today, and it was about 34 today. 

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#29 of 67 Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I grew up in Minnesota. We didn't have outdoor recess if it was well below zero. That's below zero Fahrenheit, or about -18 C. I remember going downhill skiing when it was -17 F (-28 C). It probably wasn't the smartest thing my dad ever did with us, but it was fun and there was no one else on the slopes!

If your child is appropriately dressed and doesn't stay outside too long after getting wet, it's fine.

I find the pacific NW winter weather much harder to deal with. There is only so much you can do in the rain.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#30 of 67 Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 AM

My dd loved playing outside in the snow and cold when she was younger. We dressed properly. I always went out with her because she would keep playing even if she lost a mitten or something.

I don't know what too cold is. I think there is a point where it can be too cold to be out for long with wind and such but 30 degrees doesn't seem that cold.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page