Ideas for items for special "play kit" for 3-4 year old to use while I'm putting her brother down for a nap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm having trouble juggling putting my 15mo down for a nap while my 3.5yo is still awake.  DS takes two naps a day - and in the morning when he's cranky, I need to go upstairs and nurse him down, but my DD doesn't want to stay alone (not because she's scared - she's just bored).  I thought I could put together a special box that only comes out when it's DS's nap time with fun items.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 AM

I teach Pre K, and some of the non messy items that really hold my student's attention and are considered "special" are:

Wikki Stix, sometimes called Bendaroos.  Little wax covered pieces of yarn that can be shaped and used to create items.  My students love those.

Kaleidescopes

Read along stories on a child friendly CD player

Wedgeits- those are various shapes used to build and stack, the kids love them.

Magnetic dress up paper doll set

Good luck.  :0)

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#3 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Sticker book

Small container of "forbidden" (or just normally tucked away) items from around the house

A booklight (better than a flashlight because most of them bend or close!) and a special book -- maybe even get a bunch of picture books from the thrift store and have a new one each week

Special snack/drink that you might not normally give her

Maybe a simple project she could work on, like creating a small scrapbook with family photos

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 PM

Jigsaw puzzles

Stories on CD

DVDs (not the best but definitely work!)

Crayons and colouring book 

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#5 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Love these - thanks!  I really like the idea of a mini-project too.  Something she can work on and feel is useful.  Thanks again.

#6 of 6 Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 AM

TBH I think the best things for capturing my kids' undivided attention are things that are or feel somewhat "out of bounds".  So, though it would be more of a PIA to clean up afterwards, probably something messy would work best for keeping them occupied.  That might mean cutting paper into a million tiny bits (for some reason my kids love doing this), playdough might fit the bill, definitely getting out the easel and watercolours or laying down a big sheet of paper on the floor and putting out the finger paints.  Stickers to stick on sheets of paper keep my 3yo well occupied.  Just a big bin of varied craft supplies, glue and paper (check out the $ store) would go over well with my guys. 

You might also want to put some music or a book on CD on for her to listen to at the same time.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page