A couple of questions about names & nicknames - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

And OP, can you give your first daughter a middle name now, before she's too old to realize she doesn't have one? I ask only because I can imagine that if I didn't have a middle name and my siblings did, I would think that my parents didn't put much thought into naming me. FWIW, I also have several un-middle-named friends and all of them are bothered by it. I'm just talking from personal preference here, and I KNOW it would irk me.

Just as an example, if there is a family whose kids' names are: Isabella Madeleine, Elizabeth Grace, Charlotte Therese and Lily, Lily gets so lost and seems rather forgotten and un-thought-about. :(

Yes, as silly as this may seem to some, this is EXACTLY what it feels like.

My mother intended for my middle name to be Gemma, but when it came to do the paperwork at the hospital, my mother was out of the room, and my father *forgot*. Then they never did anything afterward to fix it .

What's worse? 12 years later when my younger sister was born, my mother gave her the very same middle name she'd intended for me. irked.gif

#32 of 44 Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasiya View Post

And OP, can you give your first daughter a middle name now, before she's too old to realize she doesn't have one? I ask only because I can imagine that if I didn't have a middle name and my siblings did, I would think that my parents didn't put much thought into naming me. FWIW, I also have several un-middle-named friends and all of them are bothered by it. I'm just talking from personal preference here, and I KNOW it would irk me.

Just as an example, if there is a family whose kids' names are: Isabella Madeleine, Elizabeth Grace, Charlotte Therese and Lily, Lily gets so lost and seems rather forgotten and un-thought-about. :(

I might possibly add a middle name if it were solely up to me, but it was DH's decision not to and I agreed to it. It's not like we couldn't be bothered coming up with one, he just liked it better that way. He feels that one name is stronger than two. Seeing as I chose the first name, and he felt more strongly about it than I did, I let him have his way.

We've also always said that if DD decides she wants a middle name when she's older then she's free to choose one for herself. :)

That said, I agree that it makes more sense when siblings have the same number of middle names.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#33 of 44 Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasiya View Post

I might possibly add a middle name if it were solely up to me, but it was DH's decision not to and I agreed to it. It's not like we couldn't be bothered coming up with one, he just liked it better that way. He feels that one name is stronger than two. Seeing as I chose the first name, and he felt more strongly about it than I did, I let him have his way.

We've also always said that if DD decides she wants a middle name when she's older then she's free to choose one for herself. :)

That said, I agree that it makes more sense when siblings have the same number of middle names.

I'm not sure the why's about this one, but, my grandfather had no middle name.  He is one of 6 kids and none of them have middle names.  At any rate, when he was an adult, he needed a middle initial for some reason (I think it was something with the military, but anyway). It became an issue and he had to get his birth certificate changed to include a middle name.  Mind you, he picked P for his middle name.  He became Arthur P. xxxxx.  Kind of funny, but he didn't want to pick a name, he just picked an initial. 

Like I said, I have no clue why it became an issue, but it did.  And, I'm not sure it would be any kind of an issue these days, since I have no clue what the issue was back then.  But, that is one thing that stuck in my head while naming my kids. 

Wife to dh since 1999, stepmom to dss (13 yrs. old)jammin.gif, mom to ds (9 yrs. old)bikenew.gif, dd (7 yrs. old)bouncy.gif, and ds (4 yrs. old)sleepytime.gif
#34 of 44 Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM

My hubby's name is Sky.  No middle name.....He loves it.  It is unique and doesn't feel he is missing out.  His dad recently told him that he could always choose one and he was "no way this is my name, I like it"

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#35 of 44 Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 AM

DD is Elizabeth and we've called her Libby from birth because DH doesn't like Liz...so we figured the best defense is a good offense.  We've told her that her real name is Elizabeth but she sees it almost like a seldom-used middle name - not for every day.  If she wants to be Liz or Beth or Betsy later in life that's fine with us - we figured that risking the nickname was a reasonable trade-off for having a professional grown-up sounding name to use if she ever wants it.

#36 of 44 Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

My hubby's name is Sky.  No middle name.....He loves it.  It is unique and doesn't feel he is missing out.  His dad recently told him that he could always choose one and he was "no way this is my name, I like it"

Sky - love it!

My DH has no middle name either and he likes it that way. Same goes for other friends with no middle names. It's just a matter of taste - some people like them, others don't see the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post

DD is Elizabeth and we've called her Libby from birth because DH doesn't like Liz...so we figured the best defense is a good offense.  We've told her that her real name is Elizabeth but she sees it almost like a seldom-used middle name - not for every day.  If she wants to be Liz or Beth or Betsy later in life that's fine with us - we figured that risking the nickname was a reasonable trade-off for having a professional grown-up sounding name to use if she ever wants it.

Yep, I was thinking we might try that with "Izzy". I still prefer Isadora to Izzy, but I think if we preemptively call her that then it will be more likely to stick than the alternatives.

#37 of 44 Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 PM

Yep, I was thinking we might try that with "Izzy". I still prefer Isadora to Izzy, but I think if we preemptively call her that then it will be more likely to stick than the alternatives.

What about Isa?

#38 of 44 Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 PM

We have kinda the reverse.  We named DD1 "Peyton Jo" with the intention of calling her "P.J.".  Well, at age 8 or 9, she decided she wanted to go by "Peyton".  Everyone at school calls her Peyton.  DH is irked by that, and insists that she go by P.J. at school as well as at home.  (I think she had/has a classmate also P.J. or T.J. or something very similar, so I can see where she might have decided to go by her proper name.)  Peyton is what I call her through clenched teeth when I'm upset with her. ROTFLMAO.gif

DD2 is actually named "Jacey Clare".  Sometimes we write the whole thing out, sometimes "Jacey" and sometimes "J.C."

#39 of 44 Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post

What about Isa?

I thought of that and loved it...until I realised that that's the name of a fish in this language. It would be like calling my daughter "cod". lol.gif

#40 of 44 Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

my younger sister's name is elizabeth...and my mom didn't like ANY nicknames for it, and so we always called her elizabeth.  it wasn't until highschool, when she switched schools, that SHE decided she wanted to be known as liz.   and so her friends call her liz.  and we call her elizabeth, or liz.  and she's happy with both.  the weird thing is, i obsessed over what people would call my kids for nicknames...but i have never--and i mean NEVER, had anyone even try to call them by anything other than what they were introduced as. 

on the flip side of this, i taught pre-k and k for a number of years, and upon a child entering my classroom, i would ask their name, and if they had a nickname that they preferred..but i would have NEVER presumed to take it upon myself to call them anything other than what was told to me.  i can't believe people DO that!!!  so weird.

so when i started having kids i worried that my sone Lincoln would be called  Link(has never happened), that my other son Brody would be called Brode(never happened) or that my girls Jaelle and Jubilee would be made fun of(never happened).  my oldest, hannah, is one i never worried about because it seemed more common, but i really wish i hadn't spent so much time obsessing.

#41 of 44 Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wish that the teacher Joy had in 8th grade had your attitude.  I had to write a note to get her to call Joy by her name.  The teacher kept insisting that Joy wasn't her "real" name; it had to be Joyce despite the fact that we  had registered Joy as Joy and that was what was on the attendance sheet.  Joy got tired to correcting her and just stopped saying "here" during roll call because the teacher would call out Joyce instead of Joy.  Hence the note along with a call to the principle.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#42 of 44 Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

I wish that the teacher Joy had in 8th grade had your attitude.  I had to write a note to get her to call Joy by her name.  The teacher kept insisting that Joy wasn't her "real" name; it had to be Joyce despite the fact that we  had registered Joy as Joy and that was what was on the attendance sheet.  Joy got tired to correcting her and just stopped saying "here" during roll call because the teacher would call out Joyce instead of Joy.  Hence the note along with a call to the principle.

Wow, what a rude teacher. Why would she care so much? Would she refuse to call a Michael "Mike" if that's what he wanted to go by or did she just have a weird hang-up about Joy, I wonder. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#43 of 44 Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

Wow, what a rude teacher. Why would she care so much? Would she refuse to call a Michael "Mike" if that's what he wanted to go by or did she just have a weird hang-up about Joy, I wonder. 

Have no idea.  Joy had 2 obnoxious teachers that year.  Her History teacher was no better.  His stated purpose in open house to the parents was to teach the students tolerance of other ethnic groups not teach US History. Not a great start for a student and family who already had a wide range of ethnic friends and family members.  And a love and knowledge of  history.  His method of keeping control of the class was no better; to shame and embarrass the kids into behaving.  Early in the year, he called on Joy to tell the class about the Stamp Act because she had been talking to the girl who sat behind her in class.  Granted Joy should have been paying attention to the teacher instead of talking to her neighbor.  She not only gave him the what the book and his lecture had but more besides.  8th grade was the first year she was in a classroom.  She had been home schooled up to that point.  The teacher left her alone the rest of the year and the girl behind her in class became her best friend.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#44 of 44 Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 AM

My full name is Catherine, but I have always gone by Kate. I HATE being called Katie, but my mother has always called me that, so my relatives usually do too. Sometimes when I meet someone new, they start calling me Katie, and I immediately correct them-it is like nails down a chalkboard to me.

My daughter's name is Eleanor, and people always ask me if she has a nickname, and I tell them no, just Eleanor. I don't like Ellie, although Ella would be ok-if she liked it.  Sometimes my neighbor calls her El, which is fine too..(She has a niece named Eleanor and I think that is what they call her sometimes).

I don't think it is a trivial matter, names are very important and I find myself liking people less when they insist on calling me by the wrong name.

I like middle names, but I don't use mine except on legal documents. In my family everyone has the same first name-mother/daughter, father/son, so middle names are important, as they distinguish parent from child..But I don't think it is absolutely necessary. Most of my relatives are Catholic and they use their confirmation names as middle names, most Irish families do it that way.

My brother and I were both given middle names at birth, which is unusual in my family. My brother was named after both his grandfathers, and my father liked the alliteration of Catherine Anne, so that is why I got a middle name. Since I was never confirmed, it worked out well.

ETA: my daughter has a middle name, which is Catherine, a bow to the family tradition of naming first daughter after her mother...My mother was unhappy that Catherine was going to be her middle name instead of her first name! I just mention this because people are so weird about naming. If her first name had been Catherine, she would be the fourth Catherine in a row.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page