A couple of questions about names & nicknames - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope it's ok that I post this here - it doesn't seem to fit any of the other forums. shy.gif

 

I'm 20 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and we're thinking of using the name "Isadora". I love the name, but I'm a little worried people will end up calling her "Dora", which I'm not fond of. We're in European country, and Dora is a common name here, while Isadora is almost unheard of. I doubt people will use "Izzy" - it doesn't make sense in the context of the language.

 

So I'm wondering, if your child has a name with an obvious nickname option that you don't like, do people still call them that anyway? I know I can ask people to use her full name, but I wonder whether it might be a losing battle, especially with people I don't know well.

 

Another question: DD1 doesn't have a middle name, and her first name is really short. I don't want to say her real name, but let's say it's "Lea". Would it be weird to use a middle name for her sister? Say DD1 is called Lea, and DD2 is called Isadora Charlotte. Would that be odd? I regret not giving DD1 a middle name, but I feel a bit silly having one kid with a super short name and the other with a long one.

 

Thoughts? TIA! :)


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
#2 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 AM
 
gealach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a name that is VERY easily shortened to a common nickname.   And, I just don't identify with that shorter name. As a child, I very quickly learned to politely request that people call me by my full name.   Yes, some people will shorten her name, especially ones that don't know you well.   But, either they will remain people you don't know well (which, then, what does it matter?) or they will grow to be acquaintances and friends and will honor your and her request to use her full name.   

 

One drawback I can see for you is that your daughter might decide she prefers the nickname as she gets older.  If you would be upset if *she* chose to use the nickname Dora,  then I would suggest rethinking it.    


Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
gealach is offline  
#3 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 AM
 
swd12422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

WSS... Kids learn very quickly to just say, "My name is XYZ." I found it was a lot harder to get people to use my nickname than my 3-syllable full name, although my nickname isn't an obvious shortening of the full version.

 

As far as your girls having a huge difference in the lengths of their names, I'd say it makes no difference.You should name your kids what you want to name them, and if DD1 WANTS middle name when she's older, she can add one. (Or she can just decide she wants to be called LeaBelle or whatever w/o it having to be made legal.) Kids frequently dislike the names they were given at some point in their lives and they try on new ones. Sometimes it's a phase they outgrow, and sometimes the nicknames stick (like mine did) and make it really annoying when you have to fill out forms with your full legal name on them and then try to get the folks using the forms to call you by the name you're used to hearing. But really, it's an insignificant "problem" in the grand scheme of things.

 

Name your kids whatever feels right to you, and let them sort out how their names work with their identities later on.

swd12422 is offline  
#4 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 AM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree that the biggest issue is that your dd might actually like Dora, and if you use that name you should be prepared for that possibility.  My daughter's name is Sophia, and some people call her Sophie.  I like the name Sophie, but it feels like a different name to me rather than a nickname, and I would rather people call her Sophia, however she is old enough that she takes care of that by herself now, and she is fine with being called Sophie.  So your daugther might at some point feel that way too, or might actually prefer Dora to Isadora.  If you can't handle that possibility, I'd choose another name.

 

I wouldn't worry about the short vs. long name thing.  Your dd can add a middle name someday if she wants.

mamazee is offline  
#5 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 AM
 
rightkindofme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My 4.5 month old is Callidora and we considered Isadora as well. :)  And I'm completely in the "Don't call her Dora!" camp. :)  So we call her Calli, often, loudly.  I make it pretty obvious that you can call her Calli or Callidora.  NOT DORA. :)


My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

rightkindofme is offline  
#6 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
 
ollyoxenfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

 

If you will be really irked about having to correct people all.the.time about not using an obvious nickname, then just don't use the name. You will become frustrated. 

 

Sometimes nicknames take on a life of their own and there is nothing you can do about it. As a pp pointed out, your dd may prefer "Dora" and use it herself despite your wishes. If you can't live with that possibility, then just don't use the name. There are lots of nice names out there. 

 

I wouldn't be concerned about the differences between the lengthy of your dds' names. If you really want your first dd to have a middle name, it's not too late. Go ahead and pick one for her. Many cultures add names as children grow (first communion names etc.). 

ollyoxenfree is offline  
#7 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 AM
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It will be easy for you to correct when your child is small.  You possibly will come off very annoying depending on how you do it but who cares if it is important to you.

 

I can still hear my friends haughty tone as she insisted her daughter be called Alex-AHN-dra not Alex-AN-dra. Most of us supported her but some people thought she was being overly pretentious and would go out of there way to pronounce it wrong. Her daughter is now 5 and goes by Lexie to everyone (at her own request) except her mother who still calls her Alex-AHN-dra and will not respond to anyone who calls her daughter Lexie.

 

However keep in mind that your daughter may decide she *wants* to be called Dora or Izzie. She may even decide at a very young age.  It is even possible that she might call her self Dora is the beginning if she has trouble pronouncing Isadora.

 

But does any of that really matter?  You can't run your life being worried about "what ifs" especially for something as trivial as a nickname. 


Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#8 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM
 
prettymatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree that you'll have to decide if you will be ok with her possibly choosing Dora as she gets older. I LOVE the name Isadora though - it's beautiful!

My dd1 has a 5 letter name that isn't possible to shorten to anything. My dh calls her Litltle One and Ring Ting.

My dd2 name is Azaria and it's been shortened into Zar Zar and we are all ok with. Literally everyone that is involved with her life (my daycare parents, friends, family) calls her by her nickname. My mil is the only person that continually mispronounces her name. It drives me up the wall. Everyone corrects her and she still persists.

If you really want, give your dd1 a middle name!

prettymatty is offline  
#9 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the input guys! :)

 

Good point about her maybe wanting to use Dora herself. For some reason that hadn't occurred to me. I guess I need to figure out how much it would bug me if she did use it. I don't loathe it or anything, it's just not the name I want for her.

 

As for middle names, I've thought the same thing about DD1 choosing one if she wants when she gets older. I kinda regret not giving her one (it was DH's choice), even more so now that I feel like I need to be consistent with it for future kids. I like middle names, darnit! Maybe I can convince DH to change things up 2nd time around. winky.gif


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
#10 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM
 
sewchris2642's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego county, CA
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with everyone else.  When we named Angela, I hated the name Angie.  Still do.  Fortunately, so does Angela.  By the time, Angela was old enough, she started correcting people and insisting on being called Angela.  As for the middle name, my sisters (twins, born when I was 10.5 months old) didn't have middle names until they were 14.  I did.  So when they were 14, they decided that they wanted middle names, picked out their own middle names and our parents filled out the legal paperwork, sent in the forms and money and gave them middle names.

 

Chris

gbailey likes this.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
sewchris2642 is online now  
#11 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 AM
 
gbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why would anyone not support how a parent wants their childs name pronounced? If that's how it's meant to be pronounced they should just say it. Not difficult to say Alex-AHN-Dra instead of Alex-An--Dra. Reminds me of a 90210 episode when everyone thought pronouncing An-DREE-Ah instead of An-DREY-Ah was prententious. Even if it is, so what? Her child, her name pronunciation choice.

 

OP, my friends name is Christine and she hates when people call her Chrissy. Her mother does it and it drives her nuts. Your DD may very well not like being called Dora.

 

I personally don't care for the shortening of a childs name unless it's something they've chosen but if you like Isadora (it's a beautiful name) choose it.We wanted to name DD Victoria. I worried people would call her Vicki which is a nickname I don't care for but we ended up not choosing the name because that name didn't come to mind when we held her for the first name.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

It will be easy for you to correct when your child is small.  You possibly will come off very annoying depending on how you do it but who cares if it is important to you.

 

I can still hear my friends haughty tone as she insisted her daughter be called Alex-AHN-dra not Alex-AN-dra. Most of us supported her but some people thought she was being overly pretentious and would go out of there way to pronounce it wrong. Her daughter is now 5 and goes by Lexie to everyone (at her own request) except her mother who still calls her Alex-AHN-dra and will not respond to anyone who calls her daughter Lexie.

 

However keep in mind that your daughter may decide she *wants* to be called Dora or Izzie. She may even decide at a very young age.  It is even possible that she might call her self Dora is the beginning if she has trouble pronouncing Isadora.

 

But does any of that really matter?  You can't run your life being worried about "what ifs" especially for something as trivial as a nickname. 



gbailey is offline  
#12 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 AM
 
lonegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto and Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All I can say is....My name is Patricia.  My family (mom, dad, brother cousins grandparents etc) all call me Tricia/Trish.  This is what my parents wanted.  They hated Pat hate hate hate.  Well....in the second grade my best friend started calling me Pat.....guess what name I go by the most?  Pat.  I introduce myself as Pat.  All my family still call me Tricia or Trish and I always sign cards to family members as Tricia....everyone else I sign as Pat.  hubby calls me Pat and around family he sometimes calls me Tricia....it sounds awkward.

 

So  basically all I am saying is....well...if there is an obvious nickname/shortened form of the name....there is a good chance it will be used, whether you like it or not.


PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
lonegirl is offline  
#13 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 AM
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OMG, I loved 90210! hide.gif Totally forgot that episode.

 

I agree, some of these "friends" got pretty nasty and I kept thinking "just wait until you have kids"... Everyone is a perfect parent before their own kids are born.  However I do think the mom has carried it way too far.  The girl 12, if she wants to be called Lexie then let her!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

Why would anyone not support how a parent wants their childs name pronounced? If that's how it's meant to be pronounced they should just say it. Not difficult to say Alex-AHN-Dra instead of Alex-An--Dra. Reminds me of a 90210 episode when everyone thought pronouncing An-DREE-Ah instead of An-DREY-Ah was prententious. Even if it is, so what? Her child, her name pronunciation choice.

 

OP, my friends name is Christine and she hates when people call her Chrissy. Her mother does it and it drives her nuts. Your DD may very well not like being called Dora.

 

I personally don't care for the shortening of a childs name unless it's something they've chosen but if you like Isadora (it's a beautiful name) choose it.We wanted to name DD Victoria. I worried people would call her Vicki which is a nickname I don't care for but we ended up not choosing the name because that name didn't come to mind when we held her for the first name.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

It will be easy for you to correct when your child is small.  You possibly will come off very annoying depending on how you do it but who cares if it is important to you.

 

I can still hear my friends haughty tone as she insisted her daughter be called Alex-AHN-dra not Alex-AN-dra. Most of us supported her but some people thought she was being overly pretentious and would go out of there way to pronounce it wrong. Her daughter is now 5 and goes by Lexie to everyone (at her own request) except her mother who still calls her Alex-AHN-dra and will not respond to anyone who calls her daughter Lexie.

 

However keep in mind that your daughter may decide she *wants* to be called Dora or Izzie. She may even decide at a very young age.  It is even possible that she might call her self Dora is the beginning if she has trouble pronouncing Isadora.

 

But does any of that really matter?  You can't run your life being worried about "what ifs" especially for something as trivial as a nickname. 


 



Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#14 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 AM
 
Spring Lily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have known people named Thomas, Jennifer, Andrew and Jonathan who did not go by nicknames, even though Tom, Jen, Andy/Drew and John are sort of expected nicknames.

Really it comes down to what the child likes. If the hear a nickname and like it, then that's that, regardless of what the parents want! Especially as they get older and go out on their own. I love the name Isadora, but if you don't think you could grow to like "Dora" if she decides to go by that, then you're taking a big risk.
Spring Lily is offline  
#15 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 AM
lab
 
lab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: everywhere baby!
Posts: 3,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is Jonathan and he has always corrected people who try to shorten his name.   I instilled in him a love of his name from an early age and he readily told people 'Jonathan'.

He is 17 now and very occassionally goes by JB (B for last name) because his running coach likes to yell that out to encourage him rather than Jonathan.  I get that.   I do have a neighbor who insists on calling him Jon even though I have told her repeatedly that I detest that name for him.  To me - it is tantamount to calling him George.  It's not his name.   But he and I get a kick out of it - so it isn't a real biggie.

 


Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
lab is offline  
#16 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
Snowflake777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Come to think of it, DD1's name has a silly, cute, old-fashioned nickname (something like "Fe Fe", but not that) and I'm the worst culprit calling her that. I've been calling her that since she was little and it's hard to break the habit. She's forever correcting me!

I don't know why I'm worried about Dora when I'm guilty of perpetuating "Fe Fe". Maybe they can be Fe Fe and Dora together. lol.gif


Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Snowflake777 is offline  
#17 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 AM
 
gbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I confess to watching the reruns rather frequently but only the Brenda/Dylan years. After he hooked up with Kelly, I just can't handle it.

 

I agree with you though if the 12 year old prefers to be called Lexi. I think at 12 she should get over the nickname her DD prefers. THe more I think about it,  it's really not that serious. If we named DD Victoria and she prefered to be called Vicki,  I wouldn't gripe about it as long as I can call her Tori instead. LOL It bugs me when adults automatically shorten the name of a young child who hasn't expressed a preference. I wouldn't think to call Isadora Dora unless I heard her parents call her that.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

OMG, I loved 90210! hide.gif Totally forgot that episode.

 

I agree, some of these "friends" got pretty nasty and I kept thinking "just wait until you have kids"... Everyone is a perfect parent before their own kids are born.  However I do think the mom has carried it way too far.  The girl 12, if she wants to be called Lexie then let her!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

Why would anyone not support how a parent wants their childs name pronounced? If that's how it's meant to be pronounced they should just say it. Not difficult to say Alex-AHN-Dra instead of Alex-An--Dra. Reminds me of a 90210 episode when everyone thought pronouncing An-DREE-Ah instead of An-DREY-Ah was prententious. Even if it is, so what? Her child, her name pronunciation choice.

 

OP, my friends name is Christine and she hates when people call her Chrissy. Her mother does it and it drives her nuts. Your DD may very well not like being called Dora.

 

I personally don't care for the shortening of a childs name unless it's something they've chosen but if you like Isadora (it's a beautiful name) choose it.We wanted to name DD Victoria. I worried people would call her Vicki which is a nickname I don't care for but we ended up not choosing the name because that name didn't come to mind when we held her for the first name.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

It will be easy for you to correct when your child is small.  You possibly will come off very annoying depending on how you do it but who cares if it is important to you.

 

I can still hear my friends haughty tone as she insisted her daughter be called Alex-AHN-dra not Alex-AN-dra. Most of us supported her but some people thought she was being overly pretentious and would go out of there way to pronounce it wrong. Her daughter is now 5 and goes by Lexie to everyone (at her own request) except her mother who still calls her Alex-AHN-dra and will not respond to anyone who calls her daughter Lexie.

 

However keep in mind that your daughter may decide she *wants* to be called Dora or Izzie. She may even decide at a very young age.  It is even possible that she might call her self Dora is the beginning if she has trouble pronouncing Isadora.

 

But does any of that really matter?  You can't run your life being worried about "what ifs" especially for something as trivial as a nickname. 


 

 


gbailey is offline  
#18 of 44 Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 PM
 
alexsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If it is a "natural" or common nickname for that name, it will come up. If it makes you nuts to just *hear* it, don't use that name. BUT I also think that it is your (and your child's) consistency that will determine if it sticks. My son has a name that is easily and commonly shortened to a nickname- Michael -> Mike. But we introduce him as Michael, talk about him saying MIchael, etc. and basically, every body uses Michael. No biggie.

alexsam is offline  
#19 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 AM
 
sewchris2642's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego county, CA
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

All I can say is....My name is Patricia.  My family (mom, dad, brother cousins grandparents etc) all call me Tricia/Trish.  This is what my parents wanted.  They hated Pat hate hate hate.  Well....in the second grade my best friend started calling me Pat.....guess what name I go by the most?  Pat.  I introduce myself as Pat.  All my family still call me Tricia or Trish and I always sign cards to family members as Tricia....everyone else I sign as Pat.  hubby calls me Pat and around family he sometimes calls me Tricia....it sounds awkward.

 

So  basically all I am saying is....well...if there is an obvious nickname/shortened form of the name....there is a good chance it will be used, whether you like it or not.


My family called me Christy growing up.  I decided in high school that my full name, Christine, was more grown up and started using that.  As an adult, I go by Chris.  My parents still call me Christy most of the time and my sisters use Chris/Christy about half and half.  My friends, co-workers, boss, dh, son-in-laws, and grandkids call me Chris. 


Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
sewchris2642 is online now  
#20 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
 
elmh23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where it's hot!
Posts: 9,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My youngest is named Christopher and I hate Chris.  And Topher.  We call him Christos (ds1 cannot say Christopher and thats what he started calling him cause he can say it, we all just followed) or Christopher.  He's only 11 months old now, but when we named him we decided that we would let him go by whatever he wanted.  Christopher has so many nicknames, he'll have a ton of options.  Dh and I might always call him Christopher in addition to his chosen nickname, though.

 

As for other people, I introduce him as Christopher and correct them if they call him something else.  Most of the time at least.  I've found I don't care really when other people call him Chris even though I have hated that name since I was a kid.


Mama of three.
 
elmh23 is offline  
#21 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 AM
 
Petie1104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We named our kids names that don't have nicknames because I HATE nicknames and so does dh.  All our kids have names that are two syllables, and no nicknames available. 

 

I do have to say that we are VERY picky about how people pronounce dd's name.  It's Lara, and there is a cute story as to how she got that name but none the less, alot of people will here her say, "Lah rah" and they will say, "Laura"  (you know like Ingalls Wilder) at which point I do correct them.  But there is a practical reason behind that.  If people call her Laura, they usually spell it Laura without asking about spelling.  Whereas when they hear Lah Rah, they always ask how to spell it.  DD has gotten very used to walking up to desks and saying Lara, L-A-R-A NO "U". 

 

The boys all have short names so no nicknames, though dss has a short name and his mom butcher's it.  I can't figure out why it is that she thinks it's cute to run around calling a 13 yr. old some cutesy derivation of his name ending in Y.  So she cuts off the last syllable and ends the first in Y.  He hates it, so I hate it. 

 

Now, my mom was cruel.  My name is Katherine.  When I was little, my dad called me Katie, my brother called me Katydid, my godfather called me KitKat, and I responded to all three.  Well, I NEVER responded to Kathy.  I hated that name, but my mom LOVED IT!  So when she went in to sign me up for Kindergarten, the teacher asked her what I was called and she told them Kathy.  They put that down on my school records "Katherine (Kathy) XXXXXX"  So from then on the schools kept calling me that even though I hated it.  Even to this day, when everyone else, except dh and my godfather calls me Katherine, she insists on Kathy.  YUCK!! (No offense to any Kathy's I just don't like it.)  Amazingly, at 33 yrs. old, I still love hearing my godfather call me KitKat.


Wife to dh since 1999, stepmom to dss (13 yrs. old)jammin.gif, mom to ds (9 yrs. old)bikenew.gif, dd (7 yrs. old)bouncy.gif, and ds (4 yrs. old)sleepytime.gif
Petie1104 is offline  
#22 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM
 
Alyantavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree, you have to think about what the child may want to be called in the future.  DS1's name is easily shortened into a name that I don't love, but I'm ok with.  He, however, prefers his full name and lets people know that.  Which is totally fine.  DS2's name can be turned into a million and one nicknames, which he's totally fine with.  So while you can pick the name and what you want your kid called when they're small, it may not always be that way.

 

I still have nicknames that certain family members use that no one probably understand.  Thankfully they aren't ones that many people know.

Alyantavid is offline  
#23 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM
 
HannahW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie1104 View Post

 Amazingly, at 33 yrs. old, I still love hearing my godfather call me KitKat.



I call my little sister Kitkat, she loves it!

HannahW is offline  
#24 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Parker'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD2 is Genevieve. I like the nickname Evie, and it was the starting point to finding the name, Genevieve. But I do NOT want her to be called Gen/Jen. We have a Jen in the family and she is not named after her. But I've found that most people ask me if it's okay to call her Evie or something besides Genevieve. We call her Genevieve mostly, and sometimes Evie, so I think if she does gravitate to a nickname, it will be that, not Gen. At least I hope so ;)


Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Parker'smommy is offline  
#25 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
 
Oliver'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We always called Oliver "Ollie"...but starting about 6 months ago, he insists on being called Oliver.  I guess it can go both ways :)

 

For ds2 we had a really hard time thinking of a name for him so we went with Theodore because of its many nickname possibilities...plus we liked the name.  We figured he would have a lot of names to choose from when he's ready.  We mostly call him Ted, but we have friends and family who call him Theo, Teddy, TJ (middle name is Joseph), JoJo, Teddy Joe...the list goes on :lol  We like all of them.


Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 
        
Oliver'sMom is offline  
#26 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
 
shanniesue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: walking my path
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

My youngest is named Christopher and I hate Chris.  And Topher.  We call him Christos (ds1 cannot say Christopher and thats what he started calling him cause he can say it, we all just followed) or Christopher.  He's only 11 months old now, but when we named him we decided that we would let him go by whatever he wanted.  Christopher has so many nicknames, he'll have a ton of options.  Dh and I might always call him Christopher in addition to his chosen nickname, though.

 

As for other people, I introduce him as Christopher and correct them if they call him something else.  Most of the time at least.  I've found I don't care really when other people call him Chris even though I have hated that name since I was a kid.


DS is also Christopher, and I also don't like Chris or Topher.  I think that little kids with big names are just too cute.  DS is 3 now and introduces himself as "Criffer"  It's the closest he can get.  I don't call him Criffer, though... I stick with Christopher and just figure that he'll get all 3 syllables at some point.  I don't tend to correct people unless they are going to be people that we see regularly (although I did correct the nurse at our first pediatrician's office... I figure that his medical care providers ought to get it right).  Around most people that we don't see on a regular basis, like an uncle of mine that lives out of state and we only see once or twice a year), I just try to emphasize the whole name when I say it.
 

If DS decides at a later point that he wants to be Chris, that is his choice.  I will probably always call him Christopher (unless he asks me not to).  But I think that moms are kind of in a different position and can get away with that. 


mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
shanniesue2 is offline  
#27 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
 
dakotablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My name is Rebecca. I grew up with my Mom (Grandmom) correcting everyone not to call me Becky. nd to this day I hate it (except for two people I knew that used to call me that and I didn't mind) I went by Becca.

 

Now as an adult I get called Bec. I don't like it as much but its what Dh calls me...I don't think anyone outside of work calls me Rebecca.

 

Anyway We considered nicknames we hated to be a no go on names because I know my MIL would push any name I dislike.


biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

 

dakotablue is offline  
#28 of 44 Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
 
SpiderMum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Name her whatever you want and insist they don't use a nickname if you're unhappy with it.  My DD is named Dani.  JUST Dani.  It's not short for anything, but people still (even family) call her "Danielle".  I have no problem telling them, no, that's not her name...particularly with family who I am not above yelling at because they already KNOW what her name is!

 

My name is Kimberley, and my mom refused to let people call me Kim.  It worked fine till I was a teen and was fine with being called Kim instead...but that was my choice.

gbailey likes this.
SpiderMum is offline  
#29 of 44 Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
 
thehighernest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't speak to the nickname issue, but fwiw, I'm the only one of six children without a middle name, and to be frank, it irks the crap out of me.

 

It may just be because there are so many of us, and I'm the only one, lol - I mean, if it's only two children, the difference may not stick out as much, kwim?

thehighernest is offline  
#30 of 44 Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Anastasiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep....

 

Anastasiya, in my case, is pronounced ah-na-sta-SEE-yuh, not an-uh-STAY-shuh.

So yeah, pronunciation matters sometimes. :)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

Why would anyone not support how a parent wants their childs name pronounced? If that's how it's meant to be pronounced they should just say it. Not difficult to say Alex-AHN-Dra instead of Alex-An--Dra. Reminds me of a 90210 episode when everyone thought pronouncing An-DREE-Ah instead of An-DREY-Ah was prententious. Even if it is, so what? Her child, her name pronunciation choice.


 

And OP, can you give your first daughter a middle name now, before she's too old to realize she doesn't have one? I ask only because I can imagine that if I didn't have a middle name and my siblings did, I would think that my parents didn't put much thought into naming me. FWIW, I also have several un-middle-named friends and all of them are bothered by it. I'm just talking from personal preference here, and I KNOW it would irk me.

 

Just as an example, if there is a family whose kids' names are: Isabella Madeleine, Elizabeth Grace, Charlotte Therese and Lily, Lily gets so lost and seems rather forgotten and un-thought-about. :(

 


 

Anastasiya is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off