Random Bragging About My Kids - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been having a tough time with the kids lately (ds1 is chore avoidant, dd1 is very volatile and gets quite hysterical, ds2 has some extremely frustrating ongoing behaviour issues, and dd2 is...19 months old), so I'm going to rave about them here, and remind myself what awesome kids they really are. This is basically the oppositve of a vent. Feel free to jump in about your own, because kids are amazing! Also, feel free to ignore this post entirely, as I'm doing some fairly nauseating "my kid is so awesome" stuff.

DS1 is a fantastic young man. I'm prettty sure his existence is the cosmic reason for me throwing 15 years of my life away on his dad. He's enthusiastic about life, outgoing, and always willing to try new things. He's active in the school Interact (service) Club, and has been involved with peer counseling (in elementary school), helping out at the Boys and Girls Club, and has been a counselor at our local Outdoor School. When one of his teachers said that all he wanted for Christmas was a Bic 4-colour pen, and then came back after break and said he didn't get one, ds1 organized all his classmates into each giving him the cost of a pen, and then we went out and bought one from each student for his teacher. (Said teacher has framed one, and says quite sincerely that he'll never forget his students presenting them to him.) He's a wonderful big brother and adores his younger siblings. He's always been willing to help me out when I need hand, whether that was helping me carry groceries home when he was six, or changing dd2's diaper while I'm cooking dinner now. He's athletic and artistic (draws, plays guitar, sings and acts) and an amazingly gifted performer. He juggles and does origami. He's a natural athlete, and competes in gymnastics (team captain this year!) and Ultimate...and is into free running and Parkour (I think he's still secretly hoping he can grow up to be Spider-Man!) He wants to learn what he calls "old time" skills...spinning, weaving, blacksmithing, glassblowing, leatherworking, woodworking, etc. etc. He's gone to school wearing a pink feather boa that he bought on a choir trip. He's intelligent and fun to be around (if a little exhausting for an introvert like me) and just a completely unique person.

DD1 is very intelligent and insightful. She's a serious naturalist, and loves bugs, worms, snails and slugs. Her enthusiasm for spiders is matched only by her love of all things "pretty". She takes ballet, and goes to almost every class in a state of nerves, because of the new girls and her perceived difficulty in learning the moves. But, she perserveres and works really, really hard on her dancing. She helps out around the house, and actually scrubbed down the shower tiles yesterday (I started and she came up to see what I was doing, and then I had to make dinner, so she said she'd finish). She's eager to learn to cook, and wants to do gymnastics (partly because her big brother does) and Tae Kwon Do (partly because her little brother does). She loves her baby sister, and jumjps right in to help if dd2 falls over or starts to cry. She's fiercely independent and when they get up before me, she gets breakfast for herself, ds2 and sometimes even dd2.  She's generally fascinated by the whole world around her, constantly curious, and very engaged in learning. If I'm not feeling well, she'll bring me water and try to help.

DS2 is one of the most enthusiastic people I've ever met. He wanted to learn rock climbing, and had a lot of trouble with it. He was the least adept of his class (only four kids), by a wide margin, but I think he had more fun than the rest of them combined. The same thing is happening with Tae Kwon Do. He's the slowest in his class, but I don't think he's even noticed it, because he's too busy giving it everything he's got (when an instructor held a target up high to hit, ds2 jumped and got it with his head). He's picking up reading and math with great ease, and mostly by osmosis. Despite his behavioural problems, he's a very sweet, loving little boy....the first one to run up and give me a hug and/or kiss if he thinks I need it. He thinks dd2 is the sweetest baby who ever lived, and almost smothers her with kisses. He's one of those natural computer kids (and once managed to spend $40 of real money, buying game points on Facebook, when I accidentally left myself logged in and went to the bathroom - he was so proud of himself for getting me some new animals). His willingness to try things that he doesn't think he'll be good at is inspiring (he doesn't get it from me). He's just an all-around neat kid and he just oozes affection. He's also a bit quirky, which I really like. He's so open and honest and engaging with people that it almost hurts...mostly because I've seen him shot down too many times.

DD2...well, there's not much to say, as she's still mostly pre-verbal (only says "mamamama", "yeah" and "no"...and lots and lots and lots of babble, which is obviously conversation, but completely incoherent). She is the cutest kid ever. I'm not even sure what it is about her, but she's just amazingly freaking cute. She gives us these "what the heck?" looks that just make me melt. When she was born, she was exactly what this family needed, after losing Aaron...a ray of absolute sunshine. She just seems so...trusting. She makes me laugh every day (which is important - it's why I fell in love with her dad!) and is very prone to just throwing her arms around my neck and snuggling in. She has the most infectious little laugh, and she's just. so. cool. I adore this little one, and I can't believe how fast she's growing up, even after having been through it three previous times.

Okay - this helped. This is a great bunch of kids I've got here. I just  need to keep that in mind, when the middle two are squabbling, the oldest one hasn't done his chores and the little one is yelling in my ear and dumping cereal on the floor. joy.gif

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#2 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 AM

What a great post!  I needed that, I really did.

DD had a complete and unexpected meltdown in the middle of an ice storm this morning.  By the time I got to work, however, I was back to my general bragging self.  Parenthood, I think, is like the ocean tide.  Sometimes you get sucked out but generally you get brought back in, even by the tiniest wave.  So wonderful just to lay there and bask in the sun.  :)

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#3 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM

That was nice!  Makes me think about all the things I love about my boys.  Hope they turn out as awesome as your DS1!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#4 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I needed it, too. I just came back and read it again, because ds2 and dd2 have been driving me moderately crazy today. It really does help to have it all right here in print, yk?

And, yeah - ds1 is definitely unique...only person I ever met who strutted, instead of toddled! He just seems to have been born with more self-confidence than most people ever have, and life hasn't managed to beat it out of him yet. If he holds it together through the next 2-3 years, I think he's going to be just fine.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

When one of his teachers said that all he wanted for Christmas was a Bic 4-colour pen, and then came back after break and said he didn't get one, ds1 organized all his classmates into each giving him the cost of a pen, and then we went out and bought one from each student for his teacher. (Said teacher has framed one, and says quite sincerely that he'll never forget his students presenting them to him.)

I haven't read past this, but this put tears in my eyes. That is so incredibly sweet and thoughtful of him. What a fantastic young man you have!

eta- I had to go do something, and I was thinking about the first time I met you guys (I'm pretty sure it was you guys!) at a big play date type thing, and I was so amazed at how much he seemed to genuinely care about the kids! He was entertaining them, and not because he "should" or because he had to. He wanted to do it, and he seemed happy that he made the little ones happy :D  I'd never met a teenager who was so caring like that!

Your kids have some fantastic traits that will benefit them greatly in the future. It's really impressive that you thought to write it all down, amidst the frustration!

I need to start doing this- maybe in my head. But I'll start here- this evening, I was struggling to put something up in the top cupboard (while holding ds2) and ds1 came up beside me and put a step stool at my feet. (I hadn't even thought of using it. I knew I could manage, but it DID make it easier!) I thought it was really sweet, and he was full of stuff like that this evening.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#6 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 PM

What awesome kids!

Mine is still so little but he makes me smile and laugh every day. He's so amazing, even when he's throwing a little tantrum (I had no idea 10 month olds could throw such tantrums) when he thinks we're about to take a toy. He's so adorable that even if he's been grumpy and difficult all day, I still have to point out to DH how adorable our son is. He is fascinated by vacuums and cries when we turn it off after cleaning. He loves strings and cords and wires. He will sit and move something from side to side, pull it into his lap, kick it off and lift it up for half an hour before tiring of it. It amazes me to watch him learn. treehugger.gif

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#7 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

What awesome kids!
Thank you. :)

He's so amazing, even when he's throwing a little tantrum (I had no idea 10 month olds could throw such tantrums) when he thinks we're about to take a toy.

Except that I wish I could make it better and I can't, I actually love those early "I've been thwarted!" tantrums. They just seem like such concrete proof that this is an actual little person, not just an adorable blob, yk?

#8 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

*bump*

This has not been a good day with the kids, so I'm bringing my brag back up. A few things have changed (ds1 just finished his first year of university - acting, and dd2 is definitely verbal!!), but they're the same kids. They're awesome!

CatsCradle likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page