what do you all do with your hair?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You've gotten some great ideas.  Along with some comic relief.  Here's what I did/do.  I have long hair (middle of my back; it has been as long as my waist).  I wear it in a low ponytail now.  It's been in a high bun, a low bun, a French twist, high ponytail at various times.  I wash about once a week (less in the winter, more in the summer).  I like long hair and never seem to remember to get it cut so it stays long.  Last time I had it cut was for my nephew's wedding 2 years ago.  Like my glasses, my kids learned to not mess with my  hair even when they were on my back.  But it didn't happen over night.  And I learned to outlast the hair pulling/twisting stage by remembering it doesn't last all that long.  It just seems to.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just cut my hair really short, chin-length. I love it. I had the girl at Supercuts ($12) cut it purposely 'messy'. All I do is wash it (every 3+ days) and let it air dry. Maybe it doesn't look amazing, but I know it looks wayyy better than the dirty ponytail I had for 3 years.

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#33 of 35 Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 AM

hi, I'm 6 foot, 135 too! I used to have really long hair and I would wear it up in a pony tail and then braid it, then the next day,  when the braid was getting messy, i would put it into a messy bun. but then i decided to live on the road for a while so I got my hair cut really short, since I wouldn't be able to shower as much. i do enjoy it short, but now that i'm back in a house, i'm growing it out. while i almost always wear it up, i like the option of having it long. though it is more work when it's long, because I have curly hair and it gets super tangled if i don't stay on top of the washing and combing/brushing. oh i don't use shampoo or conditioner or any hair care products, and i think that has improved my hair a lot. :)

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#34 of 35 Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 AM

I have long hair, almost waist length and I did make the mistake of cutting it shoulder length when dd was a baby.  I regretted that since it takes so long to grow back and my hair grows slower now that I'm older.  Anyways, if you have long hair, there is a whole world of hair toys out there just waiting to be discovered.  Hair sticks, forks, combs, etc. that make it very easy to wrap up long hair. It keeps it tangle free and protected from the elements and when you have the time, you take it down, with all those luscious bun waves.  

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#35 of 35 Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 AM

I think we need a cavewoman hair tribe.... I swear i found a baby puff in there the other day. I have waist length hair that is half poker straight and half frizzy due to extreme humidity. I have now been doing the same three things with it for twenty years. 

A) the pony tail. This has many variations from top of head like a lunatic to "dear lord i think the scrunchy is about to fall on the floor" no amount of clips bows or elastic can convince it to behave for more than about five minutes and despite my objections to harsh chemicles Im seriously considering superglue to keep the darned thing from giving me "halo head' as the morning wears on.

B)The braid/plait. on a very good day (and at least a full day since washed so not hard therE) the braid will be french because i really do believe that if i braid tightly enough and manage to igonre the migraine i will succeed in restraining the side frizz and it might stay in. so far its about an hour and a half before the halo appears and then varying degrees of 'tornado on a rampage' from then on out.

C) The bun. mostly this consists of twisting wet hair in a rope, knotting it around itself and the attacking it with all the pins in the house and then double wrapping with a massive scrunchie. this gets the least food and baby dribble in it of all the options but has the disadvantage of still being soggy in the middle at bed time if it succeeds in staying in. 

On the plus side if you leave options B and C in WET hair and it survives till next morning your hair will have a beautiful and temporary curl making option A rather pretty till it falls out

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page