what do you all do with your hair?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure where to post this, so please move if need be :)

I have a 4yo and a 7 month old and my hair is stuck in a permanent pony tail.  It's driving me insane.  I only have time to wash my hair, then stick it in a pony tail straight out of the shower...so not cute.

If I wear my hair down at all, my 7 month old pulls and chews on it like crazy.  It just doesn't work.  Even the least bit of flyaways will find their way into my baby's hands.

I'm seriously considering getting my hair cut super short.  Like a cropped pixie type haircut.  My only hesitation is that I'm very tall (6'0") and very thin (135 lbs) and have the figure of a 12yo boy :lol.  I don't want to look even more masculine/awkward than I already do, but I don't think I could have my hair any longer than say cheek bone length without it getting yanked.

What do you all do with your hair?  Do you think I should go for the drastic cut?

#2 of 35 Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I tried a pixie cut with disastrous results.  I just wear a bob and pearl (read: LITTLE, "untuggable") earrings. 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#3 of 35 Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM

I'm right there with you! It's in a pony all the time. I forgot my brush when we were on vacation, it's been days since I've combed it now! I think I'm going to cut it just long enough to put it into a teeny pony tail. I say go for it! I'm sure youll look great smile.gif
#4 of 35 Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Mine are older, but my hair's been at least shoulder length since I had my first.

I have it cut super short like you described and was built much the same way (short though 5'6 and about 100 lbs).  It was very very easy but it did get boring since there was only one style.  I'd probably keep it longer and try different, easy updos.  Youtube has tons.  Your baby won't be a hair puller forever. smile.gif

#5 of 35 Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM

I have been fantasizing about the pixie cut myself. Does anyone know any GOOD online hairstyling pages that allow you to upload your photo to see what you look like with various cuts? I've find a number of them, but according to them, I look like I have a mop on my head for just about every cut. Or maybe that's the truth! Yikes :)

#6 of 35 Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM

I got a pixie cut shortly after dd2 was born and LOVE it!  LOVE.  I'm tall, though not as tall as OP.  With the way you are describing your body, op, you would probably look great!  I let mine grow some, so I've only had it cut once since June.  Right now it is def a shaggy pixie style & looks like a cross between Shane from The L Word and Justin Bieber, haha!  I style it this way on purpose & think it looks pretty good.  There are def lots of things you can do w/ short hair, changing your part, barrettes, spikes, sleek, whatever!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#7 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 04:36 AM

My hair also lives in a ponytail... although I am also a ballet teacher/ ex-dancer, so I am accustomed to rarely wearing my hair down. I did give myself bangs to change it up, but that didn't work out with this winter being SO static-y in our house!

I actually think pixie's look great on people with your body-type!!  I once had my hair very short, but honestly I found it more work then long hair because it took a lot for me to get it to look good, although mine was a bit of a longer pixie.  

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#8 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM

I put my hair up every morning.  Usually in a simple bun.  If I'm wanting to look nice, I take a little extra time and use clips to hold it at the sides, so it looks a little more "sweepy".  I also have those "butterfly" thingies, that are like two combs attached by elastic and beads.  I can just twist my hair up and put the combs in, and it looks very nice.

#9 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 AM

Oh, a ponytail gettin' boring for you, eh? Well, I have haggard cave woman hair. It's a really easy look and can be yours in no time at all. Just stop showering but once every few days (if at all, really) and keep throwing it back in a loose, crappy bun. Don't worry about the long stringy pieces that come out of the bun...after a while they will become so crusted over with food, saliva and the disgusting $2 gel you occasionally throw into the mix, that they will not look like hair at all! Rather, they will take on the appearance of extra arms, sort of like tentacles, coming off of your head. They can even be used, in the later stags of this process, to hang things you need to keep handy...pens, spoons, etc. This may be alarming to your children, but then, if they're scared, they won't be pulling on them, will they? ;)

Trust me, ladies, I've been rocking this look for months. Sometimes I get weird looks, but nobody messes with me in public. It may even act as a crime deterrent, who knows...but it seems that people are much more courteous in the store, letting me go first and such. It's true that at first my husband would recoil, hiss and crouch behind things at the sight of my hair, especially if it caught him off guard, but at this point he's all but forgotten the soft, luscious curls I once had and I really think everything is gonna be alright. dreads.gif

ja mama, broodymama and Octopus8 like this.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#10 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 AM

LMAO!!! This is my hair lately too except minus the bun so mine is SCARY!!!  I always mean to put it back but in the insanity of morning I dont remember.  I hear ya OP..my babe loves to pull and chew my long hair and even likes to take the hairs on both sides of my head and shake them(my mom says he thinks they are his reins and that's exactly what it looks like).  I keep threatening to chop my hair too but my dd says "you'll be sorry mom when you cut your hair.  Every time you cut it you say, why did I cut all my hair?" and shes right but its making me nuts...aaahhhh!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post

Oh, a ponytail gettin' boring for you, eh? Well, I have haggard cave woman hair. It's a really easy look and can be yours in no time at all. Just stop showering but once every few days (if at all, really) and keep throwing it back in a loose, crappy bun. Don't worry about the long stringy pieces that come out of the bun...after a while they will become so crusted over with food, saliva and the disgusting $2 gel you occasionally throw into the mix, that they will not look like hair at all! Rather, they will take on the appearance of extra arms, sort of like tentacles, coming off of your head. They can even be used, in the later stags of this process, to hang things you need to keep handy...pens, spoons, etc. This may be alarming to your children, but then, if they're scared, they won't be pulling on them, will they? ;)

Trust me, ladies, I've been rocking this look for months. Sometimes I get weird looks, but nobody messes with me in public. It may even act as a crime deterrent, who knows...but it seems that people are much more courteous in the store, letting me go first and such. It's true that at first my husband would recoil, hiss and crouch behind things at the sight of my hair, especially if it caught him off guard, but at this point he's all but forgotten the soft, luscious curls I once had and I really think everything is gonna be alright. dreads.gif

#11 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM

You know, what's funny is, the "crappy bun" always slips out at around mid morning...so really, most of the day, some of it is in that crappy bun, but most of it is just loose....oh and my hair is really long now, so that adds to the greatness for sure. Also, the ends are so split and disgusting that it LITERALLY looks as if I've created a "fringed" sort of look by rubbing the ends of my hair between two rocks, or like, scorched it with hot irons or something. Sometimes, my wild locks will fly into my eye and poke me..the ends are really sharp and scratchy, I could really damage a cornea over here!

I used to have truly fantastic hair. Big, soft, bouncy dark curls. Now it's dark alright...like, DARK AGES maybe! That and my curls have lost a lot of their "curl" since my babies were born. So now I look like a wet dog toward my roots, you know, hangy and dirty looking, with scratchy rock-haircut curls at the bottom. It just kind of sits on my head like a filthy mop, flapping around while I walk and go about my business.

But hey, what are you gonna do? Not the only thing on me that used to be soft, bouncy and sexy that's lookin' more tired and floppy these days! HA!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#12 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:

You know, what's funny is, the "crappy bun" always slips out at around mid morning...so really, most of the day, some of it is in that crappy bun, but most of it is just loose....oh and my hair is really long now, so that adds to the greatness for sure. Also, the ends are so split and disgusting that it LITERALLY looks as if I've created a "fringed" sort of look by rubbing the ends of my hair between two rocks, or like, scorched it with hot irons or something. Sometimes, my wild locks will fly into my eye and poke me..the ends are really sharp and scratchy, I could really damage a cornea over here!

I used to have truly fantastic hair. Big, soft, bouncy dark curls. Now it's dark alright...like, DARK AGES maybe! That and my curls have lost a lot of their "curl" since my babies were born. So now I look like a wet dog toward my roots, you know, hangy and dirty looking, with scratchy rock-haircut curls at the bottom. It just kind of sits on my head like a filthy mop, flapping around while I walk and go about my business.

But hey, what are you gonna do? Not the only thing on me that used to be soft, bouncy and sexy that's lookin' more tired and floppy these days! HA!

LOL! Love it! 

After reading this thread, I went and looked at pictures of pixie cuts. Seriously, they're so cute. I'm doing it! OP, you should too! I mean, really, if you really hate, it'll grow out, and who knows, you might like it.

#13 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM

I have straight hair down to my butt.  It lives in a sloppy bun all the time.  While I wash it daily, I only brush it every few days because it's too exhausting and I'm 7 months pregnant and have a 3.5 year old and I'm TIRED, so I have constant tangled, matted hair.  I don't want to cut it though because it would take so many years to get it long again and I keep thinking that one of these days I will have the time and energy to trim the dead ends off and I think I would hate having short hair because it's so much effort.  You have to keep it cut constantly or it will get in your face and I'm too cheap to pay someone to cut my hair.  Maybe a buzzcut?  I do wear my hair down for the once a year or so that DH and I go out on an actual date by ourselves!

#14 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

How about shoulder length or even a little longer? Honestly I don't think super-down-to-the-butt hair suits anyone. Something that somewhat frames the face is always nicer, IMO.

eta: just realized i wasn't responding to the op. oops!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#15 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 AM

I've tried short, but I look like  a cabbage patch kid and don't feel like myself. The best for me seems to be long, and I wear it in different kinds of buns, braids, or ponytails. Then in the rare event that I get to go out, I can wear it down. :) Deep conditioning is important though.

#16 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Double braids, baby. Sure, it's kind of Little House on the Prairie-ish. But it keeps my hair out of my way and if I braid it wet, then when I take them out at the end of the day my pin-straight locks get some pretty waves in them, which is cool. DH thinks they're sexy.

A variation on the Little House braids is to braid them holding them up (instead of out) and then wrap them over the top of your crown and pin them into place on top of each other with about a million bobby pins. It's sort of Scandinavian and looks "done" without much effort and even works when your hair is filthy dry, because the flyaways are all romantic and soft.

I try not to do the crappy bun thing because it destroys my hair. A single braid down my back is my go-to "given up on life" hairstyle.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#17 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Double braids, baby. Sure, it's kind of Little House on the Prairie-ish. But it keeps my hair out of my way and if I braid it wet, then when I take them out at the end of the day my pin-straight locks get some pretty waves in them, which is cool. DH thinks they're sexy.

A variation on the Little House braids is to braid them holding them up (instead of out) and then wrap them over the top of your crown and pin them into place on top of each other with about a million bobby pins. It's sort of Scandinavian and looks "done" without much effort and even works when your hair is filthy dry, because the flyaways are all romantic and soft.

I try not to do the crappy bun thing because it destroys my hair. A single braid down my back is my go-to "given up on life" hairstyle.

yup. :(

#18 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM

I have long hair about four inches above my waist with layers that start at my jawline and taper all the way down. I wash it every three days. Day one, I round brush it dry, day two I don't touch it at all, day three I wear it up in some form or fashion, bun, ponytail, pig tails with the ends tucked under, all kinds of braids, etc. then it's washed again. If I wash it more often my ends get too dry and drying it takes so long. This way, it stays healthy and pretty, I have time to do other things than my hair, and I still have a little variety!

#19 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a post than I did while reading this!!! 

My hair is borderline haggard cave woman...but I'm holding out hope that my life will improve in the sense that someday I can take a shower for longer than three minutes, pee without a baby on my lap while reading a book to a preschooler, go to bed with brushed teeth and pajamas on, and yes, actually be able to comb and style my hair.

I'm starting to wimp out on the pixie cut though. It took me over 2 years to grow it out to the length it's in....do I really want to start over?  I'm thinking I'll try some bangs first so at least my wet ponytail will look somewhat styled...then I'll go shorter from there.

I checked out some you tube clips per a pp suggestion and found a lot of cute styles to try.  I really need something that I can do straight out of the shower with wet hair though.  My 4yo is terrified of the hair dryer, and I'm a shower every morning to feel human kind of girl.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone in the horrible mom hair department.  Let's all make it a goal to try to take a bit more time on our personal upkeep!

#20 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM

I think it's important to keep in mind hair structure when choosing a hairstyle. I cannot be bothered with styling (washing and brushing is more than enough, thanks), and my hair is straight and thick, so I have it cut in a shaggy longer bob kind of thing. Literally wash and go. However, with my hair texture (coarse), a sleek bob would take quite a lot of work.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#21 of 35 Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Oh, this one is so pretty! My hair is blonde and thick but very fine and would probably have to have some dirt texture in it to stay up. Maybe good for a no shower day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlmRc5Uk68

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#22 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have two lazy looks - actually the same look, just in different places on my head. :p I have sittable-on-length hair. Look One: I flip my head upside down, brush it towards the top of my head, and then make an off-centre cinnabun, then flip the next-to-biggest loop over the others and... sort of jiggle it... until it looks nice and symmetrical, then affix to scalp with hairsticks. It's hard to describe, but looks quite pretty - not severe like cinnabuns do (at least on me!), but vaguely like I've done something clever involving winding or weaving hair, which I haven't.

Look Two, which is faster (ie. lazier): Do the same thing at the nape of my neck. The bad news is, my hair looks awful from the front this way (I don't look good either with hair pulled flat back, or with a part... or bangs!), but that's OK - I put on my trusty cheese hat and face the world. As long as DD doesn't unexpectedly pull my hat off, I look just fine.

Unfortunately my most flattering hairstyle is a crown braid, which takes a bit of doing. I'm pretty sure I didn't wear one of those for a good year after DD was born. I wore twin Dutch braids at the birth centre, though, pinned into a bun I think... I got a compliment from the lactation consultant. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#23 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 AM

I say go for the pixie cut. I love how easy it is to take care of short hair and it's really only when I don't have to deal with all the long hair maintenance that I feel like I have time to spend on the other things - make-up, eyebrows, clothing, nails, feet - that make me feel feminine.
#24 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 AM

I think a pixie cut (or any other short hair) only works if you have a REALLY pretty face. i don't know what you look like obviously so that's not a comment on you specifically. Just I think short hair looks so 'blah' otherwise.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#25 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 AM

I have long, thin, straight hair that I've pretty much given up on and just wear hats wherever I go. I've recently decided to dread it, so I'm all about drastic changes in hairstyle lol!

Maybe start with a shorter cut, see how you like it and if you do go even shorter? That way if you don't like it short it won't take as long to grow out.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#26 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Oh, this one is so pretty! My hair is blonde and thick but very fine and would probably have to have some dirt texture in it to stay up. Maybe good for a no shower day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlmRc5Uk68

ooohhh...that IS pretty!  I think I could manage that straight out of the shower.

My hair is super thick, slightly wavey, and pretty coarse.  I've had short hair before, but not as short as a pixie.  My hair tends to grow thick before it grows long iykwim...so my hair gets pretty poofy when it's short unless I make frequent trips to the salon to get it trimmed and thinned out.

#27 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 AM

I just deal with the hair tugging.  My hair is bra strap length right now, but it has some cute layers in it and I've got a lot of natural curl.  On lazy days, I just let my hair curl up naturally and then pin each side back.  On days when I feel like doing something with it (which is frequently since I work), I dry it and take a flat iron to it.  I do lots of different stuff with it when it has been straightened, but I can't do braids.  Which is a total bummer b/c I really want to!  But the layers cause little hairs to stick out from the braids and it looks silly.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#28 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 AM

I did the pixie cut after DS and I was sooooo sorry I did.  I was going for a Sharon Stone kind of look, but since I don't have Sharon Stone's face it came out more - nun without the veil!  I had a slightly longer short cut before that which just took forever to style since my hair is super straight and fine.  I vowed not to cut my hair this time (DD is 8mos) and I'm in the same boat -  pulled back in a pony due to the hair pulling thing.  I hate it when she grabs the fine stragglers at the nape of my neck, so I also wear one of those elastic hair bands...nice.  I'm going to get some of those clippy things to do the twist and clip style.  It may be so yesteryear but I think a bit more exciting then what I've got going now.

You may be able to carry off the look if you are super thin and have some texture to your hair.  Post some pics!

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#29 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 AM

I keep trying to find pics of the clips im talking about, with no luck, UGH!  But this is what I do.  I do it on dry hair or wet hair, half up and down or all up.  Its easy, fast, and looks like I actually tried to do something with my hair when actually I didnt have to do much of anything. (PS, nevermind the blue flower, it was cinco de mayo lol)

blonde again 2.jpg

All you have to do is take the section of hair you what up, twist it like you would if you were using a butterfly clip/comb, and slide the clip underneath, slip it down, abd pull the long strands out to each side.  Heres a few from a weekend that I did nothing with my hair, but hate putting it in ponytails. 

kisses for mama again.JPG

my turn my turn!.JPG

01022011-52.JPG

I also find that bangs can really spice up a long hair style. 

#30 of 35 Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:

You and I have the same hair ROTFLMAO.gif

I occasionally 'fix' mine, meaning I brush it, and possibly go over it with a flat iron. Otherwise, I am cavewoman all the way. And this is with waist length hair.

Unfortunately, short hair looks AWFUL on me. I've tried it, twice, and both times regretted it. Believe it or not, I look better as a cavewoman dizzy.gif

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page