Would you let your kid pick up a dead worm? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hm. Depends on the age of the kid and the personality and where else we're headed. Older child, probably, unless we were going to be out a long time and no where to wash up. Younger child, no, because he's going to stick either the worm (less likely) or his hands into his mouth within 2 minutes of putting the worm down. Same thing for live worms actually. DD goes fishing, DS is not old enough yet.

I would say no to vertebrates though. Too many potential contaminants. 

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#32 of 43 Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 PM

I hate worms. I appreciate their contribution to the health of our planet but they seriously creep me out.

But yeah, DD has picked 'em up, more than once. Whatcha gonna do? And, let's be honest, she's touched a lot of things that are more germy and disgusting than dead worms. orngtongue.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#33 of 43 Old 03-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Sure :) A live one / dead one ... whatever.

#34 of 43 Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 PM

I would of let her, but I would of made her wash her hands afterwards.

#35 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Of course! I used to find them in pants or jacket pockets when mine were young. ;)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#36 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes.  And dead mice and moles and the ocasional bird or rabbit.  It really is amazing to move a bird's wing back and forth and see how the joints work.  To look at the whole digestive track of a freshly killed squirrel is more interesting when you can compare it to that of a chicken's because your've been involved int the processing of your own chickens that you eat, kwim? 

I do not let my children touch mushrooms, because I don't what is poisonous and what is not.  I don't like mushrooms much so I don't plan to learn either.

And fwiw, we usually bury any animal that we've dissected, explored or otherwise seen after its death, out of respect.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#37 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yep!

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#38 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Yep!  (Sorry about the double post!  Not sure how that happened, or how to delete it!)

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#39 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM

When a naturalist or scientist pick up dead things they usually know what killed it or they are wearing gloves.  

A dead worm or insect I would have little problems with, mammals/birds/reptiles we would explore with our eyes or a barrier.  Reptiles can carry salmonella.  

I did not use anti-bacterial lotions that often but this would be time it would be nice to have a small bottle.  

#40 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

When a naturalist or scientist pick up dead things they usually know what killed it or they are wearing gloves.  

As a former wildlife biologist, I'd say that naturalists and scientists are generally a lot more relaxed about handling dead things that most of the people posting on this thread, and are actually pretty likely to pick them up without gloves or without knowing exactly what killed them.  (But they also have a fairly good idea what the possible risks are, and whether a particular dead thing is likely to pose a risk.)

lonegirl likes this.
#41 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM

So I guess this is a stupid question, but why can you get diseases from dead animals, but not from dead bugs?

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#42 of 43 Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post

So I guess this is a stupid question, but why can you get diseases from dead animals, but not from dead bugs?

Because bugs aren't very closely related to us, so diseases that have evolved to use them as hosts probably won't infect humans.  Animals are more likely to carry viruses or bacteria that can also live successfully in humans.

#43 of 43 Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Yes, my kids can pick up dead worms.  Dead mammals -- not so much. A worm just seems more 'earthy' and a mammal or larger creature is like rotten meat I guess?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page