Hm. Depends on the age of the kid and the personality and where else we're headed. Older child, probably, unless we were going to be out a long time and no where to wash up. Younger child, no, because he's going to stick either the worm (less likely) or his hands into his mouth within 2 minutes of putting the worm down. Same thing for live worms actually. DD goes fishing, DS is not old enough yet.
I would say no to vertebrates though. Too many potential contaminants.
But yeah, DD has picked 'em up, more than once. Whatcha gonna do? And, let's be honest, she's touched a lot of things that are more germy and disgusting than dead worms.
Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF
R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!
Of course! I used to find them in pants or jacket pockets when mine were young. ;)
Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!
Yes. And dead mice and moles and the ocasional bird or rabbit. It really is amazing to move a bird's wing back and forth and see how the joints work. To look at the whole digestive track of a freshly killed squirrel is more interesting when you can compare it to that of a chicken's because your've been involved int the processing of your own chickens that you eat, kwim?
I do not let my children touch mushrooms, because I don't what is poisonous and what is not. I don't like mushrooms much so I don't plan to learn either.
And fwiw, we usually bury any animal that we've dissected, explored or otherwise seen after its death, out of respect.
Me. With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.
Yep! (Sorry about the double post! Not sure how that happened, or how to delete it!)
When a naturalist or scientist pick up dead things they usually know what killed it or they are wearing gloves.
A dead worm or insect I would have little problems with, mammals/birds/reptiles we would explore with our eyes or a barrier. Reptiles can carry salmonella.
I did not use anti-bacterial lotions that often but this would be time it would be nice to have a small bottle.
As a former wildlife biologist, I'd say that naturalists and scientists are generally a lot more relaxed about handling dead things that most of the people posting on this thread, and are actually pretty likely to pick them up without gloves or without knowing exactly what killed them. (But they also have a fairly good idea what the possible risks are, and whether a particular dead thing is likely to pose a risk.)
Because bugs aren't very closely related to us, so diseases that have evolved to use them as hosts probably won't infect humans. Animals are more likely to carry viruses or bacteria that can also live successfully in humans.