Would you let your kid pick up a dead worm? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

While walking the dog just now, DD saw a dead worm and wanted to pick it up.  I told her no, that we don't touch dead things.  But then I was thinking about all the naturalists and scientists, etc out there that say they started out by collecting road kill to study, that sort of thing.  It made me wonder if I'm stifling her natural inclinations and curiosities.  So, one the one hand, yeah, pick up the dead worm!  Study!  Explore!  Observe!  And then on the other hand, ew.  Germs and diseases.

So please, offer me some other opinions and the reasons behind them.

Thanks!

#2 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 02:52 PM

I'd let my kids pick up a live worm, so a dead worm would be ok too, unless it was covered with maggots or something. Other dead (larger) animals I would probably encourage less touching and more hands off exploration.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

vbac.gif WAH momma nak.gif  to DS '04 blahblah.gif  DD '08 energy.gif  DS '10 hammer.gif surprise! 3rdtri.gif  

#3 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM

I'd be fine with it. I'd just make sure hands were washed as soon as we get inside.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#4 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM

eww. but probably yes.

sleepytime.gif
#5 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM

A dead worm, yes, as long as said child was not interested in putting it in her mouth lol.gif  A dead squirrel however, I would not allow my child to touch.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#6 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 PM

I have neither the time nor inclination to prevent my kids from touching worms.  I'm actually more concerned about them touching live ones since those are more than likely going to come to a sad demise in the hands of my boys.  (And by sad I don't mean torture just being manhandled by a toddler).  I am often amazed at all matter of icky things they touch and explore.  But anything dead that that has fur or feathers I'd rather they leave alone or at least use a stick if they are insistent on touching it.  Of course, we're semi-rural out here and have a couple of acres of land so they come in contact with more wildlife than your average city kid.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

lather, rinse, repeat
#7 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...you know, I hadn't realized, but I did let her touch live worms last summer.  I wonder what it was about the "dead" part that made me say no? 

This whole thing reminds me of the time my brother and I found a dead raccoon in the road after a big snowstorm.  We dragged it into our front yard and "buried" it under the snow.  Wow, was our dad angry when the snow finally melted!

#8 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 PM

I never even thought of not letting my children touch dead worms or insects.  They love investigating things. 

I have talked to them about the diseases that dead birds, squirrels, sheep, cows, etc. carry and they don't touch those things, except for with a stick.

#9 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

We don't touch dead things around here so I wouldn't have let my dd touch even a dead worm because she would go on to touch other dead creatures and insist that it is okay because she sees no difference between a worm and a dead badger.  My dd is the type to decide that if she can do one thing she can do something vaguely related and it is fine, and she does a lot of these vaguely related things when I am not around so sticking to one set rule is something I view as important in this case (she is a serious rule follower).  If your dd is not like that then making exceptions sometimes may work and that is something to consider.  Kids get to explore dead animals with the proper protective gear once they get into junior high and high school science so I don't think you are going to stifle her if you have her wait until then.  There are many ways to explore the world without poking around and exploring dead things.  City kids who never have a chance to play with road kill turn out to be scientists sometimes too (my friend from elementary school is one of them).

#10 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM

I'd call myself more of a city kid than a country kid and we have plenty of bugs and wild life lol. Yes, I would let DS pick up a dead worm. I'd be ooged out, but it would be fine. A dead squirrel? No way.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#11 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM

I can't think of a single logical reason to not touch a dead worm. With vertebrates, one should be a little more cautious, but we all touch them around here too. Last year we found a dead ermine in the garden and it was an unusual opportunity to see one up close and feel its fur. I could tell it hadn't been there long, so I wasn't concerned about bacteria at that point--especially just on the outer fur. As long as a dead animal isn't rotting or stinky, I'd allow cautious touching followed by hand washing. We deal with dead animals pretty regularly (we have chickens that occasionally are visited by predators and we have a farm cat that hunts mice, moles, rabbits, birds, and even that one ermine!).

For the record, I am a science teacher and I live on 80 acres in a rural area.

#12 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM

As long as he didnt try to eat it. 

#13 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dead worms are fair game here. Honestly I prefer them because live ones tend to get loved a bit too much. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Sure.

#15 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Sure.  It would never occur to me not to let them. 

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#16 of 43 Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 PM

sure. as long as we weren't in a field of dirty needles or other nasty trash. which i don't know why we would be but ya know.. just trying to think of a reason why not. i think most kids would easily be able to comprehend the difference between touching a dead bug/worm and a dead animal. i know my son would and he is 2.5.

#17 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

No but then I have a phobia of worms. I can't actually see my kids asking though, they're much more likely to bring it to me shouting "look what I found"

#18 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 03:35 AM

Yea, I would let them as long as they washed properly when done.

#19 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 AM

Yes.  but my son hates getting his hands dirty and has issue enough with playing in a sandbox so I doubt he would have any desire to touch a dead or alive worm.  I grew up on a farm and dead animals were a common occurance so it was never a big deal to me. 

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#20 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 06:01 AM

Yeah, I would. I would probably draw the line at dead mammals-- I worry about disease. I don't know if there's much scientific basis to that worry. I just know that a dead worm doesn't squick me out like a dead deer or chipmunk or squirrel does. Oh, and dead fish are gross, because they stink.

You see, I'm not terribly objective about this. It would all be based on a momentary "does this make my skin crawl?" impulse. Dead worms, in my experience, are mostly dry and odorless, so they don't bother me.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#21 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

Yeah, I would. I would probably draw the line at dead mammals-- I worry about disease. I don't know if there's much scientific basis to that worry. I just know that a dead worm doesn't squick me out like a dead deer or chipmunk or squirrel does. Oh, and dead fish are gross, because they stink.

You see, I'm not terribly objective about this. It would all be based on a momentary "does this make my skin crawl?" impulse. Dead worms, in my experience, are mostly dry and odorless, so they don't bother me.

That.  Dead bugs don't bother me nearly as much as dead animals. 

#22 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM

... i take it you don't take your kids fishing?  ;)

if you're speaking of earthworms (like when they die in the rain and lie there limply on the sidewalk) then no one's going to catch anything from them.  They're pretty clean, and very good for the earth-- alive and dead. 

i could maybe understand some hesitation if your kid's not old enough to distinguish, say, a worm that is in a pile of dog poo (sorry, sorry) from an earthworm.  but if otherwise, i'd even suggest that's a great jumping off point to do a little research on the thing and stimulate that instinct-- look at pictures online, and read what they do.  you can even make an earthworm farm if you're so inclined, in a terrarium style setup. 

my kid's too little to know the dog-poo worm from the earth worm, but i've encouraged her to touch live ones already (earthworms that is).. and we pick up little dead beetles, etc. sometimes to admire them, too.  i wouldn't put 'dead things' in the category of hands-off, but i'm usually there (or dh is) to guide good choices. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#23 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I've given it a bit more thought, and apart from maggot-filled things, I think my natural response is "ok, touch it."  Sadly, I think the thing that stopped me was that someone else was out on the sidewalk nearby and I worried that they'd think I was a "bad" mom if I let her touch a dead worm.  I hate that I actually stop to consider those things...

Oh, and hildare- thank you!  I LOVE the idea of a worm farm- I know my daughter will be super thrilled with one of those!! 

#24 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Sure. But like others have said, dead birds/fish/mammals would be a no...though I might let 'em poke at those with a stick.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#25 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 PM

We poke at things with sticks, like others have said, if it is really gross or if it is big. But ds picks up all manner of bugs both dead and alive. By the time he is done with them they seem to all end up dead anyway...

Either way I wouldn't care about touching a dead worm unless it was really disgusting looking...like when they dry up and get all crusty, ew.....but after a rain storm or something that would be fine.

we used to have a frog that lived in our garden and he was our free range pet lol....we spent all summer chasing him and catching him, putting him in various containers for observation and then letting him back out. Ds is not a particularly fastidious handwasher and he was in and out of the house constantly, but no one got sick from handling the frog and we learned all about frog life cycles and related science. It was a very "unschooling" ish type thing and ds loved it. I could totally see the same learning opportunity happening with a dead worm.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#26 of 43 Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Dead worm?  Sure.  Dead bird or mammal?  Probably, if it's not too disgusting.  I've let the kids pick up dead birds before, and I think maybe they've also had the chance to handle things like moles, shrews, or mice - just picking them up by the tail for a look, or feeling the fur.  There really isn't much risk of disease transmission in most cases, especially if you're not poking around inside the animal but only touching its outside.

#27 of 43 Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

Either way I wouldn't care about touching a dead worm unless it was really disgusting looking...like when they dry up and get all crusty, ew.....but after a rain storm or something that would be fine.

When I was four, I had a dried worm collection. hide.gif

Even now, I actually find the dried out ones much less icky then the umm... fully hydrated dead worms.

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#28 of 43 Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 AM

Sure, but only because either there aren't worm killing horrible diseases that can be passed on to humans, or I'm too naive to know about them. ;-)  But no to all the other dead animals.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#29 of 43 Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey44 View Post

Oh, and hildare- thank you!  I LOVE the idea of a worm farm- I know my daughter will be super thrilled with one of those!! 

i got the idea from my second grade teacher-- she had a carboy with soil in it and earthworms inside.. you could see the trails they made in the soil.  I think they get most nutrition from the soil but they will make compost from scraps if you drop things on top.  so cool!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#30 of 43 Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmendi View Post

When I was four, I had a dried worm collection. hide.gif

Even now, I actually find the dried out ones much less icky then the umm... fully hydrated dead worms.

when I worked at a commercial plant nursery I would regularly waste time by walking around and picking up half petrified worms who were dying from being in the sun. I would dump them in a nice moist flower pot and cover them with soil so they had a chance...This was when I was 20, I love worms. They are super important and if you have ever been on a night crawler hunting trip after a nice rain storm you know how fun it is to try and catch those buggers...ah childhood memories flooding back.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page