3yo very interested in private areas?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So our 3.5 yo dd is quite interested in the difference between girls and boys. I'm thinking it's just normal curiosity but still wondering a bit cause she seems a bit obsessed. Dd1 was never that interested, she learned the difference early and that was that with her. But dd2 talks about the fact that girls and boys have different genitals all the time, she's even been drawing anatomically correct pictures lately of our family, drawing daddy with a boy part (which is a line between the legs in her 3 yr old drawings). She really likes her boy barbie doll right now which she received for Christmas from a family member and is playing that the mommy barbie and daddy barbie are getting married and making them kiss. We just went to a wedding and she just saw a movie with a wedding where the couple kissed when pronounced husband and wife. And of course she sees her parents kissing each other. We've always been an open family as far as bathing/showering, walking around naked before we get dressed...My dh isn't really naked much in front of the girls but they have seen him using the bathroom. We don't ever make a big deal of anything, answer questions honestly (on a 3 yo level), talk about it matter of factly whenever she wants to, but also have told her that our privates are private and had that whole talk and the fact that we don't make fun of genitals or make dirty jokes...So does this sound like just normal curiosity with this kind of thing to you all? Anyone else's child seem very interested or have a stage like that?

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#2 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Sounds very normal to me. Dd goes through waves where she's very interested -- first it was in the differences between boys and girls. Then at 3 1/2 it was how babies were made. Now at 6 1/2, she's kind of going through another phase of interest. I got the books "It's Not the Stork" (and now "It's So Amazing"), and we've read those together.

When dd was 3 -4, she was convinced she was going to marry her brother. She was 4 when she asked "how exactly does the sperm and egg get together" and I told her the mechanics of sex. She then announced "I'm going to do that with my brother when we're older." GULP. (so, it could be worse!) She's past that phase now. She knows that she can't marry her brother, she knows that sex is something you do when you're grown up. She's currently interested in gestation and puberty.

Her older brother has asked 2 questions about that since he was 4. Different kids, different interests.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Sounds totally normal. My child has gone through a similar stage. He asked how babies where made when we were driving in the car one day and I told him the best I could.  When we got home I asked him to tell his dad what he learnt and he said something hilarious about throwing seeds into mums tummy.  We took the oppurtunity and got some books out of the library. There are some excellent factual child orientated books on anatomy and how babies are made etc out there. We also talk about how our genitals are private and no one is to touch them except yourself, or mummy or daddy while bathing,

#4 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Perfectly normal. A whole lot of kids go through this stage at some point.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#5 of 6 Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Very normal :)

Kimberly : momma to Karrigan Kayla : and wife of Kevin
#6 of 6 Old 03-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

normal has a huge range. dd has seen her dad and me naked till i think her dad got shy at 5 or 6. and my dd rolls her eyes at him 'what's the big deal about nakedness' but understands its his issue so she has to respect it.

so she never asked questions. however at 3 seh was really upset she didnt have a penis like daddy. the hair dresser had already talked her out of getting a haircut like grandpa - bald in the center with buzz around. 

got her a dollar ketchup bottle (the type at burger joints red and yellow for ketchup and mustard) and she would 'pee' holding her 'penis' in the bathtub to her heart's delight. she loved it. 

have the pee, fart, poop jokes started yet. my mom told me out of her 3 bros one was really into who has a penis and who had a vagina. do ants/hippopotomus/trees/rose have...

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page