How much do you spend on summer sandals? (aka, am I just cheap?) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is extremely hard on shoes. I have tried to buy cheaper shoes but I end up regretting it every time. My limit is $30 to $35 right now. I will only buy him Keens and I get gently used ones on eBay. I would rather buy Keens brand new than buy something at Target or Kohls because I always end up having to buy him another pair of shoes when the cheap ones fall apart.

DS2 I can still get away with cheap shoes, hopefully that lasts for another year or so.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#32 of 58 Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We used to keep our daughter mostly in See Kai Run shoes and I'm so sad that she's outgrown them.  She is the kid who always gets blisters from Target shoes (which sucks because they're so cute) and things like that.  Keds fit her pretty well and I've had good luck at my twice-yearly trip to the Keds outlet.

For summer shoes, we LOVE these:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product2.jsp?productId=537380&parentCategoryId=85179&categoryId=86179

Right out of the box, they have a Crocs kind of smell but it fades.  They are SO sturdy and they adjust in three places for a good fit.  The back comes off if you want to use them as slides but with the back, they're as sturdy as a tennis shoe but not as hot.  She loves them.  I don't know what we will do next year when they no longer come in her size.  This is maybe my third year buying them.  They still look good at the end of the summer so we keep passing them down through the nieces.

#33 of 58 Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 AM

Are these sandals to be for you almost 10 year old?  If so, be sure to measure her foot, because it's around that age that many girls outgrow youth sizes and have to buy women's sizes.  Unfortunately, that ups the price you have to pay!  (It's even worse with boys.  Men's shoes are $$$!) 

In general, I think whenever you have specific requirements, you end up having to pay more to get what you want.  (There are exceptions, when you stumble across a great deal, but limited choices make it less likely.)  In our family, I don't require closed toes, but I do want sandals that actually strap to the foot and are comfortable for all-day, every-day wear.  (Which is what sandals get in the summertime with my kids -- they wear them out in one summer!)

I've had really good luck finding deals at sierratradingpost.com.  They specialize in brands like Teva and Keen and have a really great selection.  I always find good prices, and sometimes I find *great* prices -- like $15 for Tevas!  When the kids were younger, I often bought them Land's End sandals.  If I could get next-years pair in the early winter, I could get a good price, but at this time of year, you'll probably have to pay full price there.  They are *really* good shoes though.  I was bummed when they outgrew them.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#34 of 58 Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 AM

I cross-check online, usually at Amazon. Also Zappos, 6pm, and a handful of other sites. I usually shop their 'sales' and spend about $30 a pair. 

#35 of 58 Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 AM

I think this varies hugely based on the age of the kids.  My 3 year old is still outgrowing shoes well before wearing them out so I aim for decent shoes (flexible, comfortable and that fit him well) but no, I'm not spending $50 a pair. If we were talking a pair of sneakers that he could wear through multiple seasons before wearing them out or outgrowing them, I'd be looking for a higher quality shoe.  Especially if he's anything like my husband, who trashes cheap shoes really quickly.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#36 of 58 Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

*Update* Lands End was having an online sale this week, so we got a really cute pair of Mary Jane Trekkers for $14 + $6 shipping. That I can live with. I gave her the choice between those and the ones that look more like Keens, and she chose the Mary Janes. She was very pleased to read that they were designed to be worn without socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties View Post

Are these sandals to be for you almost 10 year old?  If so, be sure to measure her foot, because it's around that age that many girls outgrow youth sizes and have to buy women's sizes.  Unfortunately, that ups the price you have to pay!  (It's even worse with boys.  Men's shoes are $$$!) 

Tell me about it! Ds is my almost 10 year old (1 more month!) and he wears a men's size 7 (= women's size 9). I'm not buying HIS sandals until mid June. He definitely wears out shoes, and his shoes are expensive. We can't get by for less than $35-$40. Dh did get a steal on baseball cleats for him (gently used, $9), which helps a ton. But regular shoes, and then shoes for each sport that he outgrows. Ugh.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#37 of 58 Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

Tell me about it! Ds is my almost 10 year old (1 more month!) and he wears a men's size 7 (= women's size 9). I'm not buying HIS sandals until mid June. He definitely wears out shoes, and his shoes are expensive. We can't get by for less than $35-$40. Dh did get a steal on baseball cleats for him (gently used, $9), which helps a ton. But regular shoes, and then shoes for each sport that he outgrows. Ugh.

I feel your pain, sister!  lol.gif  My ds is almost 9, but he has big feet and has just recently passed through that void between youth sizes and mens (sizes 5 and 6) which no one seems to make shoes for!  I think he'll be on the other side of that this year.  But sports -- ack!  Football cleats, basketball shoes, etc., each of which will only fit for one season -- at men's shoe prices?? horrors.gif

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#38 of 58 Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 AM

I usually do end up spending that much, but my children have XXW feet, so I'm just thrilled when I find a shoe in their size whatever the price. Used is next to impossible for us - I look all  the time, I just almost never find any in my kids' sizes.

What we do though, is buy online from shoebuy.com or shoes.com. If you search retailmenot or coupon cabin or one of those sites, and you should be able to find a 10 or 15 % off coupon. Once you purchase a pair of shoes from them, they'll start sending you coupons by email. These coupons are often in the 20% off range, which puts the nicer sandals in a little more comfortable price range.

#39 of 58 Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 AM

Old Navy flip flops.  2 pairs for $5.  Mostly, my kids run around barefoot.  This wouldn't help with your covered toe issue though.

#40 of 58 Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
$50 for keens here. We live in AZ and sandals are what DS wears almost daily. DS has a wide foot and these fit him. I learned my lesson years ago when I tried to buy him cheaper sandals/shoes and he just would not wear them. Right now he is 10 and wears a size 5-6 (kids). I dread when he jumps to the mens sizes and I'm sure that day is coming soon. Ds has some minor tactile issues and very minor foot problems (wide and gets major callous/blisters) so I will gladly pay for Keens, and Nike or New Balance sneakers for his feet not to hurt. He also loves Crocs and Crocs flippers are the only type of flip-flop that does not hurt his feet or cause 'between the toe' blisters - totally gross IMO *OP I also have a covered toe rule for bikes and scooters.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#41 of 58 Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties View Post

I feel your pain, sister!  lol.gif  My ds is almost 9, but he has big feet and has just recently passed through that void between youth sizes and mens (sizes 5 and 6) which no one seems to make shoes for!  I think he'll be on the other side of that this year.  But sports -- ack!  Football cleats, basketball shoes, etc., each of which will only fit for one season -- at men's shoe prices?? horrors.gif

Yes, we just emerged from the no man's land (literally!) of size 6. Even size 7 are hard to find. I figure in another 6 months he'll be up to an 8 and shoes will be easy to find again, if expensive. I'm just hoping he tops out at a 13 or 14 so that we can find shoes in normal stores. Dh is a 13, I'm a women's 11 (10 before I had kids). The saving grace is that they don't have wide feet. Ds is a narrow actually. (My mom wears a 10 AAA. Try finding shoes in that size!)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#42 of 58 Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 PM

I'll skimp on a lot of things, but never shoes (especially for DS).  I bought him Crocs for the summer for $35.  I'm contemplating getting a pair of Keens too, but last summer he pretty much wore Crocs exclusively so I'm not sure if they'd be worth the $60 I'd spend on them.  His everyday shoes are Elevens (preschooler sizes made by See Kai Run) and they cost around $60, IIRC.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#43 of 58 Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've spent decent money on shoes, though I'm a huge bargain shopper, so I'll buy quality for less.  Those of you mentioning Keen should check out 6PM.com.  They do have a sale going on right now on several brands, but Keen sandals are at a decent price.  As with all sales, sizes/colors are limited. 

#44 of 58 Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 AM

I am cheap, so we often buy cheap shoes. However, I am starting to realize that this is frankly kind of stupid. Payless and Target shoes simply do not last a season on my active kiddo. (We live where it is very hot, too, so sandals are in season about 7-8 months of the year.) I also do not put her in flip-flops or flimsy strappy things with little heels. She needs to run.

I like Lands' End overstocks, and they are often pretty reasonable. Couldn't find anything this year that we liked. So we looked and looked, and settled on this brand:

http://www.zappos.com/salt-water-sandal-by-hoy-shoes

They really seem awesome so far. The sole is NOT going to come apart--I can tell. She can wear them in and out of the water. The only issue so far is that we got white, and they show the dirt. They wipe off, though.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#45 of 58 Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

surrender.gifOK, OK, I'm cheap! I'll skimp somewhere else. Actually the Mary Janes we got from Lands End will work well for her bike riding, and we just now need to get a good pair of sandals. I think I may need to buy them locally, and wait a month or so, as I want to get decent quality that fits. She's up to a size 3, and putting on a little weight, so I have a feeling a growth spurt is imminent. Sigh.

#46 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM

I also likwe See Kai Runs and they are about $50. Apart from 'specialty' shoes like rain boots, DD only has one pair of shoes at a time so I feel this is justifiable. We just threw out last year's pair. If I had another girl they would have been fine for play shoes but weren't in good enough condition to donate or sell. They do wear really well and I lvoe the flexible sole. Plus both DD and myself have extremely wide feet. My mantra for shoes for me is: if they fit, buy them. Because I don't often find any that fit. Our feet are the shape of birkenstocks.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#47 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

I've spent decent money on shoes, though I'm a huge bargain shopper, so I'll buy quality for less.  Those of you mentioning Keen should check out 6PM.com.  They do have a sale going on right now on several brands, but Keen sandals are at a decent price.  As with all sales, sizes/colors are limited. 

Several people on this thread have suggested 6pm.com and I thank you! I just got a great pair of Nike water sandals for dd for $14!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvlagrl View Post

I also likwe See Kai Runs and they are about $50. Apart from 'specialty' shoes like rain boots, DD only has one pair of shoes at a time so I feel this is justifiable. We just threw out last year's pair. If I had another girl they would have been fine for play shoes but weren't in good enough condition to donate or sell. They do wear really well and I lvoe the flexible sole. Plus both DD and myself have extremely wide feet. My mantra for shoes for me is: if they fit, buy them. Because I don't often find any that fit. Our feet are the shape of birkenstocks.

Interesting, because I cannot wear Birkenstocks or Crocs. We have long, narrow feet, with the second toe distinctly longer than the first. Birkenstocks don't give that 2nd toe enough room, and they're too wide.

I didn't realize that See Kai Run made shoes past toddler sizes. Too bad. Unfortunately, dd is in their last size and they don't have a lot of variety in their older kids' shoes.

#48 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I haven't read the other replies, but I don't think you're being cheap.  I'm willing to spend a fair bit on sandals for myself, which I'll wear year after year until I wear them out, but sandals that will be outgrown just aren't that kind of investment.

#49 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 PM

For mamas with sons, don't forget to catch the point when their feet are the same size as yours and buy some nice hiking boots and such for you, I mean "them".

luv my 2 sweeties likes this.
#50 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvlagrl View Post

You've described my husband's and son's foot shape perfectly!!! My husband wears an 11 EEE, and son wears a 3.5 XW - I'm sure he is destined to have at least an EEE width when his foot is fully grown. Do the See Kai Runs fit your daughter? Maybe they are worth a try for us, too. When we looked for sandals this year, we had exactly 1 option that we could find in his size.

#51 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM

I try to never skimp on shoes.  That being said, DD never has more than two pairs per season. 

DD has worn these sandals for the past two summers.  I just ordered her third pair for this summer.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hoy-shoe-salt-water-sandals-baby-walker-toddler-little-kid/3097385?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=169 

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#52 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM

I try not to skimp on shoes.  That being said, DD rarely has more than two pairs of shoes per season.

DD has worn these shoes for the past two summers.  I just orderd her third pair for this summer.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hoy-shoe-salt-water-sandals-baby-walker-toddler-little-kid/3097385?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=169 

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#53 of 58 Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 AM

They fit really well with a wide, square toe box. i've only had her in teh mary jane style ones but they fit like a dream, even this year when I put her in them before i realized they were too short (i.e. they were too short but still wide enough for her wide feet).

My mum calls Birkenstock clogs Troll Shoes, LOL. If I could wear Birks all year round here I would (I used to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post

You've described my husband's and son's foot shape perfectly!!! My husband wears an 11 EEE, and son wears a 3.5 XW - I'm sure he is destined to have at least an EEE width when his foot is fully grown. Do the See Kai Runs fit your daughter? Maybe they are worth a try for us, too. When we looked for sandals this year, we had exactly 1 option that we could find in his size.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#54 of 58 Old 04-09-2011, 07:15 AM

I think I'm going to buy ds2 some squeaky sandals from AngelCovers this summer.  It's a charity, so even better!  I have never ordered the sandals, but he is currently wearing these squeaky shoes from them, and they are hand-me-downs from ds1.  So the quality is good, especially considering the price, and they have held up.  The soles on the shoes are super-flexible; I can bend them in half.  The only complaint I have is that they only come in itty bitty sizes, so they only work for kids up to about age 2.  But I thought someboy might be interested in them. 

ps- Both of my boys LOVED these shoes, but if it turns out the squeaking bothers you or your child, you can pull the squeaker out of the sole.  We took out just one so the squeaking was less. winky.gif

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#55 of 58 Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 PM

We bought DS keens last summer and he has a new pair for this year.  The old ones held up really well so his sister should be able to wear them eventually.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#56 of 58 Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Another 15-20er.  

While flip flops tend to die quickly, sandals at 15-20$ do not.  They easily last the season without sore feet in my household.

#57 of 58 Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not worried about open or closed toes, but I do get nice footwear, including sandals. I don't personally skimp in that area because once I did and there were blisters. greensad.gif I haven't had that problem with nicer shoes or sandals where someone helps me with sizing, so I'm sticking with that.
#58 of 58 Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM

When dd was little, I would splurge on See Kai Runs (or squeaky shoes- which tend to be nicely flexible and a good deal).   We've had good luck with the Speedo brand sandlas and water shoes sold in a back aisle at Target (with the seasonal swim and pool stuff-- not in the shoe dept)-- they're only $15 or so, and pretty fleixble and washable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page