SIL marrying a pedophile RESOLUTION Post 209 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would definitely, definitely call the police and CPS. Say that his parole does, for some reason, allow him to live with minor children and that he did actually update his address with the registry and they just haven't updated their website yet. If that's the case, then he's not going to get in trouble. But he was CONVICTED of AGGRAVATED sexual assault of an EIGHT-year-old. Common sense dictates that precautions be taken here.

cyclamen likes this.
#62 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Okay has the OP even replied to any of this (I am not seeing it, but I may be missing something) because I'd like to see what her response is and what her actions are going to be. I am not saying that the police shouldn't be notified or serious measures shouldn't be taken..in fact I have NOT said that, I am saying the OP should TALK TO HER SISTER FIRST.

Sorry I am making stomachs churn, really. And I'm sorry so many people have had such terrible experiences with men but I am not defending a child molester here either. In the entire history of the world have child molesters been accused and convicted falsely -- the answer is probably yes, and maybe a slim amount. I am also not saying this is the case but when the subject comes up anyone who's had a traumatizing story is going to obviously share it, and be very pro "get the guy and bring him down.." and that's fine but don't make my posts sound like I'm defending this idiot. We don't even know the whole story, it's an Internet forum, I am not avocadating her children get RAPED or she put them in danger, I was simply saying she should talk to her sister and than go from there. Call the police after,  etc, Share concerns and what not. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#63 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

Okay has the OP even replied to any of this (I am not seeing it, but I may be missing something) because I'd like to see what her response is and what her actions are going to be. I am not saying that the police shouldn't be notified or serious measures shouldn't be taken..in fact I have NOT said that, I am saying the OP should TALK TO HER SISTER FIRST.

Sorry I am making stomachs churn, really. And I'm sorry so many people have had such terrible experiences with men but I am not defending a child molester here either. In the entire history of the world have child molesters been accused and convicted falsely -- the answer is probably yes, and maybe a slim amount. I am also not saying this is the case but when the subject comes up anyone who's had a traumatizing story is going to obviously share it, and be very pro "get the guy and bring him down.." and that's fine but don't make my posts sound like I'm defending this idiot. We don't even know the whole story, it's an Internet forum, I am not avocadating her children get RAPED or she put them in danger, I was simply saying she should talk to her sister and than go from there. Call the police after,  etc, Share concerns and what not. 

Of course you're not advocating that her children get raped.  What you're doing, though, is showing the kind of attitude/fear/doubt..or whatever it is that enables predators and their enablers.  You're assuming the best of the guy, which is what most people do, but that's what's dangerous.   Predators count on that.  They count on the fact that you'll come to them first and then they can explain it away.  Her sister is enabling putting her children in danger and if nobody calls her on it and makes her own up to it, she can justify it to herself.  She needs to know it's not ok.  It's really, really hard for people to stand up to a loved one in this situation and I think the OP is doing an awesome job of it.  Sitting down and talking with her and the guy and getting the "whole" story treats this situation like it's a normal, respectable situation and it's not.  It's an absolute, dangerous, irresponsible thing to do.  You don't sit down and discuss this. 

She said that she did talk to her SIL, she did look into the guy, the SIL is not acting on the information.  The father of the children has been informed.  She's doing what she needs to be doing, but it's hard and she needs to know that she's doing the right thing by standing firm on this and acting on it. 

When you're someone who's had this happen to them, people like you are infuriating.  It's not against you and it's not your fault, but you need to know that abused kids have consistently been let down by people who think that this stuff is stuff for discussion and that it's something you can reason out.  So, you're getting the blunt of the anger here, it's not you, it's everyone who didn't act because of the thoughts that you're thinking about this.  It's very common.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#64 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying.  There may be more to the story.  Our neighbor was falsely accused by an ex girlfriend during a custody dispute.  He went to court, he plead not guilty, the girl friend's two sons recanted the story under oath.  The judge through out the case, the ex girlfriend kidnapped their daughter and left the state.  Our neighbor spent years trying to recover his child. The ex girlfriend admitted in court she coached her sons to accuse him of sexual abuse to protect her current husband who was molesting the little girl.  That cr@p does happen.  And yes, I let my kids play at the neighbor's house.  He's a great guy and one of our closest friends.  He was innocent and he was almost screwed by the system.  The thing is he has never hidden any of the story from us. He didn't lie. He likes my kids, but he clearly finds them kind of annoying and clearly isn't trying to be their friend or groom them.    

But, this isn't a rumor.  It is not an unsubstantiated accusation.  Maybe, the best approach is to speak to the SIL in a non confrontational and supportive way.  That approach might work and it might allow the SIL to face the reality of the situation.  I would draw the line at talking to the SIL's boyfriend.  He lied to her, he's a convicted sex offender, and he was convicted of aggravated assault.  To put it in perspective, my abuser was convicted of multiple accounts of child endangerment, sexual assault, and sodomy .  Even though he did permanent physical damage to one of my cousins, he wasn't charged with aggravated assault.  Aggravated assault is really bad.    

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
#65 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM

I think the most disturbing part about this whole thing is that the reaction of the SIL to hearing this news was to move in with him. If I found out something like this the day I was moving in with my husband 13 years ago, I would have at the very least postponed it until I figured out what the hell was going on, and I didn't even have kids then. That shows me that SIL is not using her best judgment about this man.

Aside from all that, if he's going to kids baseball games, that's a huge problem - even on the off chance it was a completely bogus conviction. I would imagine he's legally prohibited from attending functions like that - and even if he's not, he's clearly not using his best judgment by doing so. I would contact the parole department and report that a convicted sex offender is living wiht people under 18 and attending functions that have children present. That's not messing up anyone's life - if he is permitted legally to do these things, nothing will come of it. If he's not, well, he's the one who went against the terms of his parole. His choice to face the consequences, whatever they may be.
#66 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post

Of course you're not advocating that her children get raped.  What you're doing, though, is showing the kind of attitude/fear/doubt..or whatever it is that enables predators and their enablers.  You're assuming the best of the guy, which is what most people do, but that's what's dangerous.   Predators count on that.  They count on the fact that you'll come to them first and then they can explain it away.  Her sister is enabling putting her children in danger and if nobody calls her on it and makes her own up to it, she can justify it to herself.  She needs to know it's not ok.  It's really, really hard for people to stand up to a loved one in this situation and I think the OP is doing an awesome job of it.  Sitting down and talking with her and the guy and getting the "whole" story treats this situation like it's a normal, respectable situation and it's not.  It's an absolute, dangerous, irresponsible thing to do.  You don't sit down and discuss this. 

She said that she did talk to her SIL, she did look into the guy, the SIL is not acting on the information.  The father of the children has been informed.  She's doing what she needs to be doing, but it's hard and she needs to know that she's doing the right thing by standing firm on this and acting on it. 

When you're someone who's had this happen to them, people like you are infuriating.  It's not against you and it's not your fault, but you need to know that abused kids have consistently been let down by people who think that this stuff is stuff for discussion and that it's something you can reason out.  So, you're getting the blunt of the anger here, it's not you, it's everyone who didn't act because of the thoughts that you're thinking about this.  It's very common.

This exactly!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#67 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:

I'm really confused about what you're advocating for here. The OP says she already talk to her SIL, who responded by moving in with the guy and taking her kids with her. She has already spoken to her SIL. Honestly, I don't' care if he's one of the few people who were falsely convicted. If you know a convicted sex offender is likely in violation of his parole and working to get near children, the responsible thing to do is to let the authorities sort that out. I can't imagine what SIL or the new man could have to say that would convince me that contacting the parole department wouldn't be the right thing to do. What would you need to hear to make you comfortable not contacting the authorities? Or what would you need to hear to convince you that you should?
#68 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 PM

It sounded more like the OP's husband was talking to her sister and that they never really spoke spoke. That's the conclusion I made, which is why I was saying she should try to reach out and get contact..and if the kids are teens (just re-reading) shouldn't they be able to talk about their concerns/give more insider information on the relationship? So based on the fact that I was under the impression she never actually spoke to her sister and was really hearing the information through her husband/others that maybe she should do her best to contact the teen sons/her sister. Maybe even to say "listen, I feel uncomfortable and want to report an unregistered sex offender.." That I personally think should be the next step. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#69 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:

It sounded more like the OP's husband was talking to her sister and that they never really spoke spoke. That's the conclusion I made, which is why I was saying she should try to reach out and get contact..and if the kids are teens (just re-reading) shouldn't they be able to talk about their concerns/give more insider information on the relationship? So based on the fact that I was under the impression she never actually spoke to her sister and was really hearing the information through her husband/others that maybe she should do her best to contact the teen sons/her sister. Maybe even to say "listen, I feel uncomfortable and want to report an unregistered sex offender.." That I personally think should be the next step. 

It's the OP's SIL, not her sister.

That aside, I guess I'm wondering what you think this would accomplish? What's the point of sitting down and talking to the SIL? She didn't know he'd been convicted (let me repeat again - of aggravated sexual assault of an 8 year old!), and when she found out, she moved in that same night. This is not someone who's prepared to listen to reason on this subject. She hasn't had time to think it over, look at the big picture, get details, etc. She found out what he'd been convicted of, then they moved in together right away. What's the point in talking to her about it?

Arduinna likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#70 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 PM

I'm under the impression that it's not her sister, but her husband's sister. That could make a huge difference in how comfortable the OP feels in talking to her herself. In any case, again, I don't see what any one could say to convince me that reporting him isn't the right thing to do - and I wouldn't be giving a heads up that I was about to do that in order to allow the guy to come up with some story or way to get his story straight, you know? I mean, sure, the SIL and nephews might need to someone to talk to, but in my eyes that's secondary to reporting this parole violation. This isn't the same as a guy who stole a car being on parole and hanging out for a night with an old buddy who was also on parole (and therefore not supposed to associate with each other). If that was the case, I'd just think, "Hmm, that's a dumb thing to do." But moving in with a woman with children and going to children's events when you're on parole from an aggravated sexual assault of a child? The stakes are much higher there, and the emotional needs of my SIL and nephews would be secondary to protecting the physical safety of potential victims. Of course, I think sexual abuse of a child should be crime that carries a life time sentence, so I wouldn't' feel any guilt about getting someone convicted of something like that sent back to jail, even on a parole "technicality."
#71 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Wow.  I'm not a victim, so I am not coming at this with any kind of baggage or fear, for the record. 

(I'm not dismissing concerns, I'm just saying that some might because they will just say that those people are over cautious.  I don't think you are, and I am really, really sorry for the trauma so many of you have endured.)

But, this smells wrong.  All wrong.  And I vote for calling the police.

sosurreal09 likes this.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#72 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

"There may be more to the story than you know."

There may be. I absolutely believe that innocent men are accused of child molestation and railroaded into plea deals or convicted on shaky evidence, all the time. Precisely BECAUSE child molestation is so horrible, prosecutors and judges and juries and defense attorneys and the accused men themselves freak out and don't always make rational decisions when these cases are going through the courts. 

All that isn't really relevant to what the OP needs to do, though. If there's a registered sex offender who hasn't updated his address living with her nephews and attending their freaking baseball games and getting all kinds of access to children via his new kid-loving partner, then the cops and CPS need to hear about it. What the OP does not about they case, THEY can find out. If he's allowed to be around minors now, fine and dandy. If not, getting the authorities involved will spare the SIL some serious potential trouble on down the line. Even if no kid ever gets hurt on her watch, she could end up with a CPS case just because she let this guy live with her. If she's not in a place where she can realize that, then her family needs to intervene ASAP. 

#73 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post

"There may be more to the story than you know."

There may be. I absolutely believe that innocent men are accused of child molestation and railroaded into plea deals or convicted on shaky evidence, all the time. Precisely BECAUSE child molestation is so horrible, prosecutors and judges and juries and defense attorneys and the accused men themselves freak out and don't always make rational decisions when these cases are going through the courts. 

All that isn't really relevant to what the OP needs to do, though. If there's a registered sex offender who hasn't updated his address living with her nephews and attending their freaking baseball games and getting all kinds of access to children via his new kid-loving partner, then the cops and CPS need to hear about it. What the OP does not about they case, THEY can find out. If he's allowed to be around minors now, fine and dandy. If not, getting the authorities involved will spare the SIL some serious potential trouble on down the line. Even if no kid ever gets hurt on her watch, she could end up with a CPS case just because she let this guy live with her. If she's not in a place where she can realize that, then her family needs to intervene ASAP. 

I totally agree with this post.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#74 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM

actually, if they are teen boys and have any sort of weird feelings about their soon to be step father they are very unlikely to report it to anyone.  if they have already been abused by their STBSF they are VERY unlikely to report it.  because the act of a man raping a boy brings up all sorts of questions about their own sexuality teen boys are very very unlikely to report their abuse.  

call the cops and their father. let all family members know what it up.  probably some will feel they can give the benefit of the doubt to this man.  fine, that is their right to do.  but they need to know the truth about this man. and i would also NOT call the SIL and inform her they were going to call CPS/Cops because it would allow them time for him to move out.  And, honestly if a family member is bringing a convicted sex offender into the family, i think she has already let me know what she thinks of our relationship.  As someone who lost her brother to suicide due to his "bad experience" being molested as a child, nope, i would have no sympathy for either of these people.

Quote:

#75 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post

Yes, that bears repeating. An aggravated sexual assault means that there was injury or permanent damage done. This wasn't fondling or even what I'd consider molesting (not that those aren't damaging). This was actual harm being done to a child. This man was CONVICTED of causing injury to a child in the commission of a sex offense.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought that sexual assault against a child under 14 is automatically considered aggravated sexual assault. Whereas in the case of an adult victim it implies physical maimings, kidnapping etc.

#76 of 213 Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:

banghead.gif  

lovepickles likes this.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#77 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 AM

*WARNING, sexual abuse triggers*

But, people who think OP should not call the police or CPS, why would it not be her "job" to do so? OP is not part of the law enforcement or judiciary system and is not a trained psychologist either, I think? It is up to the police to decide whether this individual is breaking the law, and up to CPS to decide whether the kids are safe. If only one person in my own life would have taken the attitude opposite to the one many of you have, and called the police, I would still have been the victim of a pedophile. I would still have been raped. But it would have stopped earlier, and I would have known that at least, there is somebody who cares.

In my case (like the OP's SIL and her kids, actually!) the situation was so obvious you could see it from an airplane. Pedophile meets 11 year old at birthday party and then seduces her single mom, showers her with gifts and takes her out to expensive restaurants every day. We lived in Europe. He drove me to school every day and picked me up after, taking me to his home while my mom was working. He made me tell everyone at school that he was my uncle to avoid suspicions, even though I'm American and he was British. The English teacher was competent enough to notice this, and even asked me about it. Nobody lifted a finger.

I started dressing in black and withdrew completely. Then, people at school and in the family thought I had some kind of personality disorder, rather than pointing at the pedophile. I told my mom when I found out he raped my class friend. He apparently approached her after he'd seen us together. I sat in front of the police station for ours after she would not listen and actually made me HUG him to say sorry. Should I report him? I had read in a children's book that the foster care system was really bad, and I knew I'd be taken into custody IF the police would believe me. I did not report it, and felt guilty for years. Is it a 12 year old's responsibility to report something like that? Could NOBODY have done ANYTHING?

Eventually, I struggled with school for many reasons other than being a rape victim on a daily basis. I convinced my mom to let me live with relatives in the States to finish my education. That is how, at almost 15, I finally escaped. And of course, the pedophile "dumped" my mom within days after I left.

Again, don't leave those boys to struggle by themselves but do something. I know that even one person doing that for me would have meant I would not have not lost total faith in humanity for many, many years. Being falsely accused sucks. Having other people meddle in the relationship with what you think is the love of your life sucks. Being raped by a pedophile and getting no help from any adult when you're a young kid sucks much, much more. Believe me.

kythe likes this.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#78 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Not everyone, I mean if you're found with a bloody knife standing over a body I'm going to assume you did it. 

This is my thought on this certain situation; dealing with accusations (convictions, etc) of child molestation is really a big deal and I understand that completely. I also put myself in the OPs position and imagine if my brother had told me something similar. My brother isn't an idiot, and before I went and called the police, or CPS, or anyone I would talk to him personally -- I might even talk to his partner. Again, I wouldn't allow my two babes over there but I would get more information. Because (and I'm pretending this is my own scenario) maybe my brother knows something I didn't, after all he's not unstable himself so why would he "allow" this to happen if there wasn't more to the story. 

I think it's very easy to hear something horrible and jump, but jumping can hurt. It can ruin relationships (as in the OP and her sister) 

And doing the opposite and not "jumping", as you put it, can damage those kids for life, really badly. Which is worse? This is a situation that requires action precisely BECAUSE sexual abuse is so serious. It is safe to say that cases in which a pedophile gets off "unharmed" are much more prevalent that cases where someone was wrongfully convicted.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#79 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I sat in front of the police station for ours after she would not listen and actually made me HUG him to say sorry. Should I report him? I had read in a children's book that the foster care system was really bad, and I knew I'd be taken into custody IF the police would believe me. I did not report it, and felt guilty for years. Is it a 12 year old's responsibility to report something like that? Could NOBODY have done ANYTHING?

OT. Beyond sick. MittensKittens - my heart breaks for you. I don't know how you could have the strength to carry on, or have any trust or faith in anyone, no matter how many years. But I am glad you did. That you have chosen to grow. What internal strength you must have!

OP - Please call the police and CPS. Let them determine how to proceed. 

sosurreal09 likes this.
#80 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post

OT. Beyond sick. MittensKittens - my heart breaks for you. I don't know how you could have the strength to carry on, or have any trust or faith in anyone, no matter how many years. But I am glad you did. That you have chosen to grow. What internal strength you must have!

OP - Please call the police and CPS. Let them determine how to proceed. 

Thanks for your support. I did not share my experience because I want pity, or anything similar, but to show that children in such situations NEED and DESERVE support. Why is it that sexual predators are so often given the benefit of the doubt, while children who tell their parents, or teachers, or anyone else about sexual abuse are not heard? There is something very wrong with that situation.

I'm fine now. Of course, stuff like this does leave lasting marks on a person. I no longer have much or any contact with my mother, and the relatives who talked about the situation with her and all concluded I was lying.

sosurreal09 likes this.

#81 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post

Thanks for your support. I did not share my experience because I want pity, or anything similar, but to show that children in such situations NEED and DESERVE support. Why is it that sexual predators are so often given the benefit of the doubt, while children who tell their parents, or teachers, or anyone else about sexual abuse are not heard? There is something very wrong with that situation.

I'm fine now. Of course, stuff like this does leave lasting marks on a person. I no longer have much or any contact with my mother, and the relatives who talked about the situation with her and all concluded I was lying.

Exactly, you shared to prove a point so these kids can get help! I am glad you had the strength to do that b/c some people just aren't seeing the severity of the situation.

Like I said before I was never molested but I was beaten on a daily basis. No one helped me or my sibs...the cops even came to the house on several occasions from neighbor complaints and EVERY time they ask my father (who was the abuser) "What's going on here/are you hitting these kids" of course my father said no and they always left! I was spoken to ONCE and that was with a black eye and a bloody lip and they asked me what happened (I was 5) and I said I fell down the stairs. This was after our next door neighbor called them and said there was screaming going on. Yet not one person called CPS or actually helped us! People don't like to "get involved" with these things.

Please be brave and do the right thing OP.

#82 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 AM

I'd call the police and find out who to report his lack of local registration to, I'm guessing it's his parole officer but I don't know. Then I'd contact the childrens biodad and tell him so that he can start a custody case to get his kids back and require visitation limits when they do see their mom. If bio dad isn't in the picture I'd call child protective services and see what they can do. I'd do everything I can to get those children away from this man even if that means they lost their mom, if she is pathetic enough to chose him over her own kids health and welfare she isn't fit to be a parent.

neetling likes this.
#83 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Not everyone, I mean if you're found with a bloody knife standing over a body I'm going to assume you did it. 

This is my thought on this certain situation; dealing with accusations (convictions, etc) of child molestation is really a big deal and I understand that completely. I also put myself in the OPs position and imagine if my brother had told me something similar. My brother isn't an idiot, and before I went and called the police, or CPS, or anyone I would talk to him personally -- I might even talk to his partner. Again, I wouldn't allow my two babes over there but I would get more information. Because (and I'm pretending this is my own scenario) maybe my brother knows something I didn't, after all he's not unstable himself so why would he "allow" this to happen if there wasn't more to the story. 

I think it's very easy to hear something horrible and jump, but jumping can hurt. It can ruin relationships (as in the OP and her sister) 

I'm completely stunned that anyone is equating an accusation to a conviction. This is not a case of he said, she said. The man is a confirmed convicted pedophile. Talking to him isn't going to change that. This dream world reality that there is anything he can say that will change the facts of his conviction of aggrevated sexual assault of an 8 year old is well, just astounding in its denial of the realities of the truth of his conviction.

This kind of attitude puts more children at risk. I hope to God your own children never come in contact with a pedophile.

raelize, peainthepod, lach and 1 others like this.
#84 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:

It's not her sister, it's her SIL and the OPs dh did already talk to his sister, and she moved in with the guy anyway. I'm curious what this convicted pedophile could say that would make you think that it's perfectly fine for him to be around children, specifically the nephews of the OP and the OPs children.

#85 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 AM

To the poster who was asking:

Yes, for anyone under 14 it turns into aggravated assault. 

And I'm done posting, I think that there's so so much more we aren't hearing and I'm sorry to all those that don't like my replies. I was just voicing my thoughts because the system SUCKS both ways and we are on the Internet, who knows what the real story is. 

#86 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with the majority and hopefully you will update us saying that your SIL has left him after the cops were called, CPS was called, and his parole officer was called. 

Regardless, I just want to say that whether or not the man molested a child is inconsequential.  He was convicted, so in the eyes of the court, he is guilty.  I'm not saying the system is perfect, but this is someone who was convicted of molesting a child; it should be taken seriously.  (Also, yes, accusations happen in custody disputes and when it is false, it is often discovered to be false.  Again, not at all implying that the system is perfect.)  Furthermore, an innocent is likely to bring this up in conversation before proposing.  That is a red flag.  My harsh opinion is that this sex offender is preying on your SIL because of her children. 

I'm sorry your entire family is going through this and I pray her children are not impacted by it.

#87 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

To the poster who was asking:

Yes, for anyone under 14 it turns into aggravated assault. 

And I'm done posting, I think that there's so so much more we aren't hearing and I'm sorry to all those that don't like my replies. I was just voicing my thoughts because the system SUCKS both ways and we are on the Internet, who knows what the real story is. 

I haven't read your previous responses, but yes, the system does suck.  I think this situation is where the saying "better to be safe than sorry" is best used! 

#88 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

Quote:

Yes, that bears repeating. An aggravated sexual assault means that there was injury or permanent damage done. This wasn't fondling or even what I'd consider molesting (not that those aren't damaging). This was actual harm being done to a child. This man was CONVICTED of causing injury to a child in the commission of a sex offense.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought that sexual assault against a child under 14 is automatically considered aggravated sexual assault. Whereas in the case of an adult victim it implies physical maimings, kidnapping etc.

In some states, it may be that way, but many states have the system set up in a sort of tiered system, so that you can be charged with molestation, which is inappropriate touching, including genital contact. Sexual assault would include any type of penetration, and aggravated means either danger or in at least one state it means penetration with a foreign object.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#89 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:

The OP's DH, the SIL's brother, did talk to her. She moved in anyway.

OP, I just wanted to give you some hope actually. We were in a similar situation a number of years ago and my DH and I voiced our concerns about the man my SIL was involved with. It took her a few months, but she did eventually break off the relationship.  I do think our having said something contributed to her ability to get it together...we all wish she had done so earlier, but the important thing was that she did come to that decision.

I also agree though that cutting contact may punish the kids more than anyone else. I would try to stay in contact, and if possible see the kids and even the SIL without the pedophile BF around (invite them over or whatever).

In terms of the benefit of the doubt...I am a believer in second chances. When the person who is affected by giving the second chance is able to cope with the consequences of that not working out. In this case there are children involved who should not have to pay the price of an error in judgment. There are SO MANY WAYS TO DATE that do not involve moving one's kids in with a convicted pedophile.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#90 of 213 Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:

In some states, it may be that way, but many states have the system set up in a sort of tiered system, so that you can be charged with molestation, which is inappropriate touching, including genital contact. Sexual assault would include any type of penetration, and aggravated means either danger or in at least one state it means penetration with a foreign object.

Ugh. Just thinking about this makes my stomach turn.
I've been thinking about this thread a lot. I do believe that there are men who are wrongfully accused and convicted of these crimes. I have a very dear friend in that situation. The difference is that my friend is totally by the book when it comes to his parole. And I mean by the book. He doesn't have a computer or email address because he doesn't want any well meaning friends to send him pictures of their children( birth announcements, etc.) He never leaves the city where he lives without notifying his parole officer and getting permission in writing to go to another town (even if it is in the same state). The list goes on. He's also incredibly open about what happened to him. His girlfriend and her family know everything. Everyone in our community knows. It's not a secret.

Tags
Family Issues , Making Healthy Families A Guide For Spouses Parents And Stepparents Making Healthy Families Series , Therapists Lawyers And Divorcing Spouses Journal Of Divorce

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page