If your DC have an early bedtime, what is your evening routine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 04-17-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If your child(ren) are asleep by 7pm or so, what is your evening routine? What time do you eat supper? Does your child eat earlier than the adults/older children? When do you do bath time?

I've realized recently that DS would benefit from an earlier bedtime with 7pm being the target for lights out, if not asleep. The biggest problem I see with that is that DH gets home at 5:30, we sometimes have my nephew here until 6 and generally eat supper at 6pm. I just don't know how to eat and complete a bedtime routine in that short a time frame.

At the moment our routine is supper around 6-6:30, clean the kitchen/play until 7:15, potty, bath, pjs, teeth, books, lights out around 8pm. Obviously bathtime would have to be at another time (morning maybe? I'm a new SAHM) but I could use some suggestions on the whole routine. We will also be working to extend wake up time, which is currently 6/6:30 every day, but I think an earlier bedtime is going to be more realistic. TIA!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#2 of 33 Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 PM

DS has an early bedtime, normally between 6pm & 7pm 

It all depends on how late/how long his afternoon nap is. If he takes a later, longer morning nap he will only nap for about 20 minutes in the afternoon (sometimes not at all) and so by 6pm he's a cranky pants. I do a bath a few times a week, lavender massage (almost always unless I forget) and we bed share so I lay/feed him until he falls asleep. Tonight it was 7:30 which is late for him -- he wakes up at 6 or 6:30am. 

My DD goes to bed at 8:30 but she has Daddy-time in the evening so that's why. We do an early 5:30pmish dinner

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#3 of 33 Old 04-17-2011, 04:36 PM

I have 3 and beditme is 7:00 for the toddler, 730 for the 5 year old and 8 for the oldest, at least that is the goal! I am struggling to get the youngest into bed at 7:00, and the oldest in bed at 8:00. When it does work, here is how, eat around 5:30 or 6:00, then start bedtime routine at 630. sometimes the bay goes straight from the table to bath if he is really messy, which works good! because I seem to get a head start. One of us does dishes,a nd one does the bath. the older 2 dont' bath daily, but whenthey do bath the 5 year old baths with the baby to get to bed on time, or after, and that throws things off. I try to have the younger 2 ready for bed at 7:00, the the 5 year old readsor colors, while I put the baby to slepp, then after I can read a story and say good night to 5 year old so lights out at 730. My oldest can bath, and get ready between 700 to 730, then at 730 we read together. But things like me beiing home alone in the evening, or any evening activites throws it all off!

#4 of 33 Old 04-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Mine are usually in bed by 7.  We wait for Daddy to eat supper, so we eat sometime between 6 and 7. 

They play outside in the later afternoon, then come in and take baths around 5ish (if needed, and this time of year, they usually are).  After baths, they watch a 30 min TV show that is much looked forward to.  If daddy isn't home, they play some or color or whatever.  Then, we eat.  If there is time, they play with Daddy.  This is when I clean the kitchen.  Dh gets so little time with them that I'd rather he play with them than do chores. 

At 7, they head to bed for quick lights out. 

#5 of 33 Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

lurk.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 33 Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 PM

I have a 4 and 6 year old.  They get up with the sun, take no naps ... so I have to get them to sleep by 7.

We eat dinner at 4pm.  Then we do baths til 5/530Pm.  Between 5 and 6 we play, watch a video and have a snack.  Then at 6, I bring them to their room.  For the next hour, they play a bit, I read to them or we listen to audiotape in bed. By seven I turn off the lights, perhaps play a lullaby or two, or sing, and they are sound asleep.

I guess our unusual thing is having dinner so very early, as soon as my eldest gets off the school bus.  But she is ravenous. She's not a great eater so I want to take advantage of that appetite with a nutritous, hot meal rather than crackers to tide her over.  Then, we give the kids a little snack right before bed.

I love the routine.  Then I'm free early in the evening, have time to myself, and the kids get a great night sleep.

downside: they are up early.  but they wake up at dawn no matter what time they go to bed...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#7 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 AM

My youngest 3 are usually in bed, asleep by 6:30pm.  Dh gets home around 4:30-5pm and we eat dinner right around 5pm every night.  I am a SAHM so I'm usually able to get dinner ready earlier in the day.  After dinner the kids try to play quietly while we quickly clean up the kitchen.  We do pj's and brush teeth and then we read stories.  Baths rarely happen after dinner.  We only do baths 2-3x/week right now and I usually do them sometime during the day.  In the summer when they are outside more and getting dirtier we usually do baths right before dinner.  We also add a family walk into our after dinner routine once the nice spring/summer weather rolls around.  It's a bit rushed some nights and not exactly relaxing but the kids don't seem to be affected and fall asleep quickly.  We've tried later bedtimes but it doesn't work out, they still get up around 6am.  This way we have quiet evenings with our oldest ds and with each other.      

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#8 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 AM

My 4 year old is in bed, usually asleep, by 7:30.

I start dinner at 5 and we eat as soon as it's done, which is always by 6 at the latest.  After dinner is some play time, then bath, and down to bed.  That gives us time to brush teeth and read a story before it's time for sleep.

#9 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 AM

#10 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM

We eat between 5;30 and 6 with the goal of bedtime between 7 & 7:30 for our 5 yr olds.

After we eat, it is clean up, bath or playtime for 20/30 min, pjs , brush teeth, stories, bed-- they can read for a bit and then lights out. They wake up between 6:30 & 7.

#11 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 01:40 PM

This thread is inspiring!  I would love for DD to be in bed by 7 and asleep by 7:30!  Even by 8 would be wonderful!  Normally she isn't asleep til 9 or 930 and I'm just exhausted since she gets up by 730 each morning (and no naps anymore).

If we could somehow get dinner on the table by 5:30 daily it would work!  But that's the biggest struggle I think -- me being able to do that!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 05:24 PM

We have one DS, 17 months, and he's down around 7:30 every night. DH gets home from work around 5 and plays with him while we make dinner. We all eat together around 6:00, DH gives him a bath sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 then reads to him, and then I come in and nurse him and put him down. It works really well for us, and it's nice having time to relax together.
#13 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Our dd is 5yo.  We generally have dinner around 5:40 (as soon as dh gets home), then play board games together until 7pm.  Brush teeth, then dh reads to her until she falls asleep-- usually by 7:15-7:30.  She's an early riser (6-6:30am), and will either shower with me in the morning, or have a mid-day bath if needed (but we aren't set on her bathing every day unless she's grimy).  She used to stay up until 9:30 or so, and I have to say, i really love this change-- a little grown-up time in the evenings is a wonderful thing, plus she wakes up early regardless.  We do have to be careful to not have ANY outside time after dinner, because it winds her up for a solid hour extra.

#14 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM

Can I ask what time your kiddos wake up? (this is for everyone!) 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#15 of 33 Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Mine get up at 7am.  Sometimes the baby sleeps until 7:45 or 8.

This is an improvement!!  My oldest woke at 5:30 every day until he dropped his daily nap right around age 4. 

#16 of 33 Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

usually around 5am, though any time between 4 and 6 is normal. This is why we have such an early bedtime, they wake at this time no matter what time they go to bed.

#17 of 33 Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

Weekdays, 6:30 or 7.  Weekends, they're always up by 7:30 at the latest.

#18 of 33 Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Mine gets up somewhere between 6:45 and 7:30, most days. He was waking up before six for a while which was brutal, but he started sleeping later when he dropped his AM nap. So, he's in bed for around 12 hours, give or take.
#19 of 33 Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM

I have two DS (ages 7 & 2) who are very early risers...DS1 up around 6, DS2 up by 5:30 (at the latest!).  DS2 is in bed, lights out, nursing by 7pm, DS1 is in bed reading to himself or being read to by DH by 7, usually lights out by 7:30.  We eat dinner around 5:30, then play (briefly! or they get too wound up), bath, teeth, stories & bed.  This is actually a pretty relaxed feeling schedule, with a nice long bath (both my boys love to be in the water), as long as we sit down to dinner at 5:30.  If dinner is later, then things start to feel rushed.  I think the key to early bedtime is either early dinner or bath before dinner.  NOTE:  In the summer, all this just naturally starts to slip later, with bedtime getting as late as 8.  Then, as the days get shorter & nights colder, the schedule slips earlier again. 

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

#20 of 33 Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think you have to bump up the dinner time, even if means eating in shifts. Dinner at 5, bath time at 5:30 play until 6/6:15/6:30, DH walks in the door, reads stories, and handles bedtime. Meanwhile, you take a break for a few minutes and either make the real dinner (that LO eats as leftovers the next day for dinner) or clean up the kitchen and the house.

#21 of 33 Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 PM

We have a very strict/regular evening routine. Kids eat dinner at 5, which is when they're starving and need to eat. They're allowed to watch some tv until 6:30; baths & teeth-brushing 6:30-7, then they're in bed every night by 7. We read a story, then lay with them until ds is asleep (dd often falls asleep by then too, esp if she hasn't napped, but is ok with us leaving while she's still awake). dh and I eat dinner after they're in bed. It's not ideal, and eventually I'm planning to institute family dinnertime, but honestly for the moment I enjoy eating a peaceful grownup dinner (at a reasonable hour!), being able to eat what we want without kid complaints, and having some quality time with dh to watch tv or hang out after they're in bed. Whichever of us is not doing bedtime cooks dinner and cleans the kitchen.

They're usually up by 7 at the latest, though sometimes dd sleeps a bit later.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#22 of 33 Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 PM

I think you could have them in bed by 6:45 if you want to.  Do they have a really long bath?

Our routine is something like this:

Dinner 5 or 6:00

if dinner is earlier, bedtime snack 6:15

in the tub 6:30

out of the tub 6:45

brush teeth, jammie shirts in the bathroom

diaper and jammie pants (one with dad/one with mama)

toddler nurses, both in bed by 7:15

Of course, it often gets later -- usually mostly because I don't get dinner ready early and/or am not motivated to stick to it.  It's easy to let them play if they're happy.

#23 of 33 Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM

We're in bed by 7 and have dinner at 6.  On bath nights the bath is before dinner otherwise it's just pj's on before dinner.  We put music or books on tape on at 5 until dinner time, kind of their signal to wind it down.  Toy clean up is at 5:45.  DH walks in the door at 6 pretty much and we sit down when he gets there (I sah so it's easy to have dinner ready at the same time every day).  All that's left for after dinner is brushing teeth and reading.  DH does the reading mostly since he hasn't had much time to spend with them.  Lights out is at 7.  Dds are up at 6:30 (one actually wakes up earlier, usually 5:30 - 6 but she stays in her room until 6:30).

#24 of 33 Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM

DD used to go to bed at 7 till she started Kindergarten. We did dinner around 5:30, started calming bedtime routine of bath, teeth, PJ's, and a story at around 6:30.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#25 of 33 Old 04-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Wow I am inspired, bed by 7 for DD would be so nice! She gets up at about 7:15, school starts at 8:10 and ends at 2:30. We would do dinner early, say half five, but we have to go to the barn everyday for her pony and that happens after school. That puts dinner at 6:30, which means that after bath and teeth and story she is asleep by 8:30. It seems to work for her, and as long as I don't fall asleep with her Sheepish.gif then we get some adult time.

#26 of 33 Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 AM

My kids were going to be at 6:30 or 7, but now it's more like 7-7:30.  We used to do dinner right after school because they were starving and I saw no point in giving them snacks instead so that was around 3:30 pm.  They would play and we would read books etc until 5:30.  Then it was bath time and then they brush their teeth and go to bed.

Now that we moved to our new house (and we're still commuting from their old school), they eat a snack on the way home and go outside to play when we get home. Dinner is between 5-5:30.  We do baths around 6 and then books, teeth brushing, and bed at 7-7:30.  I like having my nights to myself.  I can catch up on my DVRed shows on tv and do homework in peace.  Plus, my kids get 11 hours of sleep (they get up between 6-6:30 every morning no matter when I put them to bed), which helps them not be crabby monsters the next day.  I also enjoy getting my sleep.  I'm out like a light sometime between 9-10pm.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#27 of 33 Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM

My DS is 3 and doesn't nap.  He's in bed by 6:30 every night...no exceptions or we have a huge meltdown on our hands.  DH gets off work at 5.  He's almost always home by 5:30 unless traffic is particularly bad.  I usually try to have supper ready to go the minute DH walks in the door.  Sometimes, I end up feeding DS before DH is home if DH is late or DS is particularly cranky that day.  Usually when I do this, I've made something for supper that I know DS won't eat so he gets a sandwich & carrot sticks or scrambled eggs while I'm finishing prep on whatever DH & I are eating.  Supper's done by 6 pretty much without exception and I clean up while DH does the bedtime routine.  They play for a few minutes unless it's bath night (only once a week), do pjs, teeth, stories, etc & then I come in for prayers and lay with DS while he falls asleep.  He's almost always asleep by 6:45.  He wakes up between 6:30-7 most mornings.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#28 of 33 Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM

My little one is usually asleep between 7 and 8. I find that the most important thing to getting her to bed on time is eating right when DH comes home, around 5:00 or 5:30. Another thing that helps with this time of year is blackout curtains or a shade. I find that it's really hard to put DD to bed when it's super light out and I imagine it will only get harder and harder the later it stays light.

Our bedtime routine is bath (10 min.) and book, which my husband does. It gives him some time with baby since he's been at work all day and me a break. Then I nurse her to sleep. She wakes up between 7-8am. My dd is 10 months old.

Mama femalesling.GIF of a sweet little daughter diaper.gif , born 7/10/2010. Married to my dream boat of a hubby partners.gif, 8/20/2009.

#29 of 33 Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM

My 3.5 year-old goes to bed around 6:30 (can be as early as 6:00 if we notice that he is really tired), and typically falls asleep almost as soon as his head hits the pillow. He gave up his nap a year ago, and we discovered that a super-early bedtime was the only way to make up for the lack of napping. If he is in bed by 6:30, he typically sleeps until 7:00-7:30 or so the next morning, but if he goes to bed later he will also wake up earlier and become overtired. If he doesn't get enough sleep, he also wakes up a lot at night.

We also have a 21-month old, and he is usually asleep by 8:00, so in reality he has a later bedtime than his older brother. The reason for this is that he takes a 2.5-3 hour nap during the afternoon and is simply not ready for bed as early.

The evening routine for the 3-year old goes like this:

5:00-5:15 Dinner (Usually when Daddy walks in the door)

Bathtime (Daddy handles the bath and brushing teeth)

Very short family Bible reading and prayers (on couch in living room)

Daddy reads a bedtime story or two to DS1 in bed

6:00-6:30 Asleep

Then, DS2 has some individual time with Daddy after DS1 is in bed, and I go for a quick jog before it is time for DS2s  

bedtime (Which I do, since he still nurses to sleep.)

It's kind of inconvenient to have to have dinner ready so early, but to us the sacrifice has been worth it. DS1 really needs the sleep. 

#30 of 33 Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM

DD and DS are getting a bit old for this, but I need this routine and they seem to do fine with it. DH goes to school in the am and works nights right now :( so its all on me. 

I get up at 4am, make lunches, and bike to work at 5am.

Kids get up at 7 on school days. and leave by 745 so they have time to ride bikes and be in class on time

they get out at 235 and I bike over to pick them up.

Snack and homework take about an hour, then time for them to play or help me while i make dinner.

Dinner is always between 5 and 6.

Then a bit more time to play. except for bath days, which with DD needs to be at least e/o day

PJ's, teeth brushing, and cleaning up starts by 7

In bed by 8 or 830 at the latest

This gives me about an hour or so before i have to go to bed in order to be functional at work the next morning.

I love weekends because even if i have to work DH is there to do kid stuff and usually does a couple chores.

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page