What to do? (Hair Related) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to cut my ds's hair. We live in Florida and it's getting too hot for how long it is. Plus dh is tired of ds being called a girl (doesn't bother me as much). We've never cut his hair and are both on opposite sides as to what to choose. So I thought I would open it up to all of you to see your opinions.

His hair is straight and fine, but there's a lot of it. Just like mine. There is a definite part and cowlick. We won't be able to fight it! :-p

Here's a kinda blurry front view: sorry!
32599697-68e5-b7d6.jpg

And another front view:32599697-6935-36c0.jpg

And back view: 32599697-6978-8056.jpg

So hit me with what you think would look best on him. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#2 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ack! Not sure why the pictures are so small. I can try to upload them later if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

#3 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 PM

I think he's perfect as is.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

I think he's perfect as is.

He sweats too much to keep it at the length it is at. greensad.gif I wish we could. I know we need to at least remove some length from the back.

#5 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 PM

If he has lots of hair he is going to sweat regardless of the length. In fact, if it gets long enough you can put it up...so heat doesn't seem like a great reason for a hair cut to me. But this is coming from someone who was pretty devastated at how different DS looked after his first haircut...he didn't look like a cutie baby anymore but like a little boy. And I did NOT like it lol.gif. So I've decided to never, ever cut his hair again. And now that I have decided that DH is bugging me to "just cut his bangs to get them out of his eyes". No...he can wear a hair clip.orngbiggrin.gif
#6 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

If he has lots of hair he is going to sweat regardless of the length. In fact, if it gets long enough you can put it up...so heat doesn't seem like a great reason for a hair cut to me. But this is coming from someone who was pretty devastated at how different DS looked after his first haircut...he didn't look like a cutie baby anymore but like a little boy. And I did NOT like it lol.gif. So I've decided to never, ever cut his hair again. And now that I have decided that DH is bugging me to "just cut his bangs to get them out of his eyes". No...he can wear a hair clip.orngbiggrin.gif
We are a 2 yes's, one no family. Dh has said no to hair ties and hair clips. I respect his wishes.

I guess I should say please disregard the reasons behind cutting his hair. We have both agreed to do it but we need help with the style. Thanks!

#7 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Ok, so its more of a gender identity thing. You should modify your opening post though, because a lot of folks don't read beyond that before they respond.

So IME the style should reflect how often you want to have to get it cut because baby hair grows fast. Lightning fast goodvibes.gif
If you get a cut longish cut its probably going to need to be recut in three months or so. Here is what I mean:

Right after his hair cut three months ago:

His hair a couple of days ago:

When I was a kid all the boys got "summer cuts" where their hair would be basically buzzed and then would have grown out to a "respectable" length when school was ready to start again. Do people still do that?

#8 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not being obstinate but I have to say that this really has very little to do with gender norms or such. I' m really struggling to express myself properly so please bear with me.

We (meaning my dh and I) discussed this at length. Ultimately we decided that for his comfort we need to let go of the urge to keep it long. I want it long and had expected to use hair clips and such. We tried but they bother my ds. He doesn't like tags on clothes or pants with anything but a stretchy waist band either.

My dh (sahd) noticed these things and we decided that his comfort level is more important than aesthetics. Therefore my ds's wardrobe is strictly Tshirts (no tags) and stretchy waistband shorts. We also noticed that his hair is definitely beginning to bother him, mainly on the back of his neck. So again we are altering the original plan to better suit Ds's current needs.

I'm not afraid od trimming every now and then at home. In fact we'd prefer it as dh already cuts his own hair at home. We just can't decide what would look best on him and wanted a little visual starting point. Thank you.

#9 of 24 Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

how about just a little trim up. IDK if there is such a thing as a style at this age.  when DS was that little I just got him a trim aka baby haircut.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 24 Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 AM

With my kids I will leave their hair alone will they have a preference OR til it starts to bother them. So if it's making them hot or getting in their face and seems to annoy them, I'll cut it, but otherwise leave it alone. I'd probably just do a pony tail if it makes him hot, but you could just trim it. He has a lot more hair at his age than my daughter did.
#11 of 24 Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
ssh

I'd trim all the way around, maybe a little shorter than Chamomile Girls' DSs when it was first cut. With bangs you have to trim them about every 5 weeks or they have hair in their eyes. You could probably keep the back hairline around his neck trimmed pretty easy too once it's cut.

#12 of 24 Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 AM

Personally, I would just do the standard "little boy" haircut. It looks nice, it's easy to keep neat, and it doesn't keep them hot. I resisted the "little boy haircut" for a long long time, but it's really so cute and so so easy to deal with. My boys go a little bit shorter during the summer because of the heat.

#13 of 24 Old 04-30-2011, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I like nice layered haircuts on little boys.  I'm not a fan of bangs and bowl cuts.  OP, I'd attempt a version of your own hairstyle on him.  That would be super cute.  But if he's sensitive, cutting his hair might be problematic, too.  Haircuts drive my ds crazy, but so does long hair.  I tend to just snip a bit here and there to get it out of his eyes and off his back.  He hates wet hair on his back.  Instead of hair clips, you could try headbands, like terrycloth athletic ones.  They look boyish but are more comfortable.  Not that my ds liked them, either. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#14 of 24 Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Are you willing to pay someone else to cut it? I started getting DDs hair cut when she was 2, and it made such a huge difference. The professional got it to a good working point, and I trim it here and there. Straight, fine hair is the hardest to cut. If he had some curls you could probably just chip away until it looks good.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#15 of 24 Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Yeah, with how straight and fine it is, it could be a tough job. 

I suggest a short boy cut - it'll take a while to grow out, it's cute.  Maybe some short bangs as a part of it. 

I tried that with my DS at about 2.  HOWEVER, I have grown it out again since because I do prefer the younger look of longer hair.

Tjej

#16 of 24 Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Are you looking to go funky at all?

My boys have long hair, but we have done faux hawks, mohawks and then shaved the sides and left the middle long.

#17 of 24 Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM

I would say go with a short boy cut.  My ds has super fine blond hair (he gets it from me - hairline and all) and my ex takes him to get it cut occasionally, and he does it super short.  It takes a long time before it needs to be cut again (my hair grows slowly too....he's basically my look alike).

It DID take some getting used to, and the first time it was cut I was pretty devastated that he didn't look like a baby anymore, but I do like the haircut as it looks very nice on him.

#18 of 24 Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He is sooo cute! I have no suggestions on hair cut though.

#19 of 24 Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM

I would probably just trim it all around and do a bowl cut, but I love bowl cuts on little boys.  I think they're super cute and pretty easy to maintain/trim.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#20 of 24 Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice everyone. I finally just did it and while I'm not the happiest person about having to do it, I think the cut looks good at least. Oh and apparently the only time I can get my ds to sit still enough to take a picture is when he is wrapped up! :-)

32599697-7510-727f.jpg

32599697-751f-be31.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#21 of 24 Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 PM

I think his new haircut looks great!  He'll be happy not to have the hair on his face and neck.  Did you do it yourself?  I had that straight, wispy hair as a child and it took my mom FOREVER to cut it!  (Then, when she had lots of experience, she took my baby sister to the salon, lol!) 

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#22 of 24 Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yup! Did it myself. I'm rather proud of it because of that. redface.gif

#23 of 24 Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumini View Post

Yup! Did it myself. I'm rather proud of it because of that. redface.gif

You should be!  It looks super cute.

#24 of 24 Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Wow, good job!

Tjej

(ETA: Or if you're more the Alfie Kohn type - How does it feel to have accomplished that?  I bet you feel proud!) :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page