Parenting beliefs: your attitudes towards child-rearing and parenting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello parents! I'm a graduate student in a developmental psychology program and am working on doing preliminary research for my thesis concerning parenting styles. I've written a very brief and (I think) interesting survey that you might enjoy taking.

It does not collect any demographic information and will not be published. I also appreciate any feedback on the questions and discussion of their relevance your own beliefs about parenting. Thanks for your time!

http://surveygizmo.com/s3/510348/Parenting

#2 of 14 Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

That was interesting. I felt like I answered as honestly as I could but of course there are always nuances to such things. As you can tell by the high post counts of threads here! Good luck!
#3 of 14 Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Interesting.  I kept wanting to qualify my answers in paragraph form.  ;)  Good luck with your research.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#4 of 14 Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I agree with the PPs, I wanted to explain my reasoning for many of the questions. Some of them were such big things, it's hard to feel satisfied with a one line answer smile.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 14 Old 05-02-2011, 03:59 PM

yes to the above. I said I strongly agree that discipline is important but I also have a different view on discipline than most people...(well not on here)

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 14 Old 05-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Discipline and self- control are important for anyone to learn.
#7 of 14 Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's participation! I didn't expect to get so many responses.

I also appreciate your feedback on the questions. I well understand that they are limiting, concise, and lack nuance. My humble hope is that your personal beliefs fall somewhere between those responses and that we interpret the questions similarly.

It would be always be great to find out more, but I'm not looking to waste anyone's time (especially without compensation). As St. Margaret noted: the various forum discussions go into far more detail and discussion than I could hope to do justice to in a short survey. I do hope that the questions were interesting and helped you understand clearer where you stand as a parent in relation to other parents.

To address a few other things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Discipline and self- control are important for anyone to learn.

They're important to many, but not all.  I did my best to respect the wide diversity of beliefs people have about self-control and discipline and I'll tell you that there are quite a few people who don't value either of those principles as much as they value others. Those are the attitudes I was interested in learning about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

yes to the above. I said I strongly agree that discipline is important but I also have a different view on discipline than most people...(well not on here)

That is one of the issues, too. I tried to leave that open to your interpretation of discipline, as the various approaches are beyond the scope of the survey. Thanks for pointing that out, however, it's worth looking at that question again to see if it needs to be changed.

Thanks for everyone's time.

#8 of 14 Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I agree with the PPs, I wanted to explain my reasoning for many of the questions. Some of them were such big things, it's hard to feel satisfied with a one line answer smile.gif

Exactly. I clicked the answer that most applied, but it would have been much more accurate if it would have been possible to elaborate.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#9 of 14 Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 AM

I had particular trouble with #7 "At what age does a child become personally responsible for their actions?"

I really didn't feel like any of the answers applied.  There's no set point when every child becomes responsible for all their actions.  It's a continuum and none of the answers included that.  Even knowing right from wrong doesn't mean a child is developmentally ready to have the impulse control to act on what they know is right (or stop themselves from doing what they know is wrong)

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#10 of 14 Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post

I had particular trouble with #7 "At what age does a child become personally responsible for their actions?"

I really didn't feel like any of the answers applied.  There's no set point when every child becomes responsible for all their actions.  It's a continuum and none of the answers included that.  Even knowing right from wrong doesn't mean a child is developmentally ready to have the impulse control to act on what they know is right (or stop themselves from doing what they know is wrong)

Yes and also, what actions are we talking about? As you say, it's a continuum so they can probably be responsible for some actions sooner than others.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 14 Old 05-08-2011, 03:25 PM

That was a fun little survey.  I'm curious to know what, in particular, you're looking for/at in the survey.

Tjej

#12 of 14 Old 05-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I liked the survey but had trouble with number 7 because I wasn't sure if we were talking about responsibility in a punitive way or as in children should get to make decisions type of way.  I went with the first assumption and disagreed but if it were the second then I would agree so you might want to consider rewording the question if you plan on interviewing people later on if you use it in your research.

#13 of 14 Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

What are "traits"? I think it's important for parents to pass on values, but traits sounds like something genetic, and as a non-Lamarckian, I don't think I can say it's something good or bad to pass on genetic characteristics. Since that's, you know, involuntary. Values, yes, ethics, yes, but I don't think I care whether my child has reddish hair. You know? 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#14 of 14 Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I thought traits meant genetic traits or personality traits - not character.  So if you are going for values/character, I'd re-word that one. 

Tjej

Tags
Parenting Books , Parenting With The Power Of Respect

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page