Most Hated Baby Names - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
I used to have a baby name book that listed people's first impression of each name.

My mother's "Best Baby Name Book Ever" does that, but only for a few names (maybe 20 girl, 20 boy?). I remember Sarah, which is my name... apparently it has connotations of "sensuous and selfish". :p OK then!

Quote:
I REALLY HATE the name "Hunter".   A 'hunter' is someone who goes around killing animals, why would anyone want to name their infant that?

Well, I considered it for a boy because it's a family name, I like the way it sounds and looks, and I don't think that "going around killing animals" for food and/or clothing is inherently evil. Also, technically, one can hunt things that aren't animals... treasure hunting, for instance. A hunter is someone who seeks something, not just "a person who shoots Bambi's mother". There are also literary connotations - Hunter S Thompson, for instance. Or Eirlys Hunter.

As for names based on occupations, there are more than you might think - Bailey, Mason, Carter, Chandler, Clark, Dean, Marshall, Travis... As long as the name is recognisable as a name (ie. not Charteredaccountant Smith), I don't think there's much risk of sensible people expecting the child to grow up and follow that profession. I had an occupation-derived last name (which is also often used as a first name - no, not Hunter) and nobody made a fuss about it.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#92 of 100 Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenaniah View Post

Kiran spelled this way IS a legitimate name for both males and females in India. Spelled this way it is sanskrit for "ray of light" Kieran is a completely different name that is traditionally male and of Irish Gaelic origin meaning "black". 2 completely different names that just happen to have the same (or very similar) pronunciation. 

As far as the article, I find it rude. As I do many of the attitudes on here. If someone choses to name their child something because they like/love the name it really doesn't matter whether anyone else hates it or not. I am sure if any of your children's names had been included on the list you would have been up in arms about that instead of agreeing with the authors view of "horrible" names.

I think that's true only if having opinions and making judgments are rude. Of course, openly saying some of these things when they aren't asked for or welcomed would be a bad idea. I think typically this is a touchy subject that is bound to offend someone, and you're right-- if any of our names were on there (some of us did have this, btw), we may not appreciate it so much.

I don't think this topic was started as a means to be rude, but just to openly discuss our likes and dislikes. I know that I personally meant no offense.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#93 of 100 Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

I think that's true only if having opinions and making judgments are rude. Of course, openly saying some of these things when they aren't asked for or welcomed would be a bad idea. I think typically this is a touchy subject that is bound to offend someone, and you're right-- if any of our names were on there (some of us did have this, btw), we may not appreciate it so much.

Well said!

If my name were on the list I'd probably be shocked at how awful the authors taste was and then forget all about it  Clearly they don't share my same, impeccable taste ROTFLMAO.gif

I tend to try and avoid stripper names and lead towards the old fashioned, grandma-ish names, but that;s just me :) My friends think I'm totally boring. I just like everyone to be able to spell our names. 

Lisa, Mama to two 2-26-09 and 6-15-11

"Hey baby, do you like trains?"

#94 of 100 Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamashtu View Post

I think Tristan is a wonderful name for a BOY but unfortunately, a few new moms around here have co-opted it for their daughters.  I guess they figure it rhymes with Kristan, so why not? lol

The same thing has happened to other boys names such as Kiran and Sasha but I suppose if someone can have a daughter named Ryan (true story), they can have a dainty, pretty little girl named after Tristan!

I know THREE little girls named Ryan! In general, though, I'm pretty much in favor of gender-neutral naming.

"Sasha" spelled as you have it is traditionally both male and female--the Russian nickname for Alexandra or Alexander. I associate that spelling more closely with girls, though, and "Sascha" with boys.

#95 of 100 Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysometimes View Post

My take on names, especially for girls:  would it sound good on a stripper or on a Secretary of State? 

But do you think Hilary Clinton's parents did that? I bet Hilary was kind of an unusual name in the 1940's. And I could easily imagine a stripper choosing the name Hilary.

In 50 years, Nevaeh might be seen as an old fashioned, respectable name. 

#96 of 100 Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Personally not a fan of "boy" names being used for girls - though it might be my own baggage at naming 3 boys.  Each time I was pregnant, I had soooo many girls names I liked and it seems like there were so many less boy names to pick from and each pregnancy that felt a bit more true because so many boy names have sort of morphed to girls names....I swear I could name 10 girls...there are just sooo many lovely unique but "real name" options for girls compared with boys that I am not sure the boys list has them to spare ;) However, I realize I might just feel that way because I used up my first choices for boys.

Teaching does have a huge impact - at one point I had a class that included...Hailey, Hayley, Harley, Bailey, Kayla, and Kailey and it resulted in me not considering ANY of those names because that group of kids sort of morphed into one girl in my head.

None of our names are on there though I really like Michael - I find it classic rather than boring and I know a little Michael who wears it well :)

SuburbanHippie likes this.
#97 of 100 Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Also, whether somebody likes a name might depend on the accent in the area where they live. I grew up in Chicago and had an Aunt named Paula - she said she hated how it sounds with a Chicago accent though it might have been lovely in the south.  OTH my SIL has a major twang and named her son Tristan and it sounds awful when SHE says it though I have no problem with the actual name, kwim?

#98 of 100 Old 05-18-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Well, I considered it for a boy because it's a family name, I like the way it sounds and looks, and I don't think that "going around killing animals" for food and/or clothing is inherently evil. Also, technically, one can hunt things that aren't animals... treasure hunting, for instance. A hunter is someone who seeks something, not just "a person who shoots Bambi's mother". There are also literary connotations - Hunter S Thompson, for instance. Or Eirlys Hunter.

We are vegetarians, so killing animals for food/clothes isn't a good thing for our family and I really don't like to hear about it.  Also, a lot of hunters kill animals just for sport, not because they actually need the meat/skin (I know some people eat it, but lots don't)

I know 'hunter' can refer to other forms of hunting, but when you hear it, the first thing you think isn't burried treasure, its hunting as in killing things, the sport of hunting etc.  

Family names and book names are something I like, but that still wouldn't lead me to choose a name that had a negative meaning associated to it, I'd just choose a different family member or a different book.

ElizabethE likes this.
#99 of 100 Old 05-18-2011, 04:28 PM

My kids names aren't on there but I have a friend who named her little girl Hunter and I think it's beautiful. I also know a few Addisons and I really like that name for a girl

#100 of 100 Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

We are vegetarians, so killing animals for food/clothes isn't a good thing for our family and I really don't like to hear about it.  Also, a lot of hunters kill animals just for sport, not because they actually need the meat/skin (I know some people eat it, but lots don't)

I know 'hunter' can refer to other forms of hunting, but when you hear it, the first thing you think isn't burried treasure, its hunting as in killing things, the sport of hunting etc.  

Family names and book names are something I like, but that still wouldn't lead me to choose a name that had a negative meaning associated to it, I'd just choose a different family member or a different book.

Sure, but your question was "Why would anyone want to name their child that?". I'm just giving you my reasons. Your family may think hunting is evil, but surely it's not too hard to grasp the fact that other people don't think of it as a "negative meaning"?

If the question was rhetorical, then by all means disregard.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page