Most Hated Baby Names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is your kid's name on the list?

DS's name is not, but I found this list interesting.

joy.giflurk.gif

#2 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Nope, not on the list. I agree with a lot (but not all!) of it. redface.gif

How do you pronounce Nevaeh? Maybe something like Nuh-VAY? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM

I think Neveah is pronounced Neh-VAY-ah.

I think the only names I particularly dislike on that list are Gertrude and Bertha.

Tristan would be great if I didn't associate it with "tristis."

#4 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM

NOpe, not on the list. I was kind of surprised of some of the names on the list. Others not so much. 

#5 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

I think Neveah is pronounced Neh-VAY-ah.

I think the only names I particularly dislike on that list are Gertrude and Bertha.

Tristan would be great if I didn't associate it with "tristis."

That is how I've always heard it pronounced too.

joy.giflurk.gif

#6 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM

I saw that posted on twitter the other day. 

And I knew before I opened it, my middle DS's name would be on it.  Just so happens it's the #1 hated boy name. 

We still love it; no regrets, it's definitely fits him. 

The funny thing about these names being the most hated is that they are also some of the most popular if you look at social security's list.  Obviously that rubs people the wrong way and makes the names uber trendy. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Nope and I wouldn't use any of them either.  However, my most hated names aren't on that list.  They should be in the top stops though hahaha

#8 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Huh...weird. I love some of those names, and a LOT of kids I know have those names.

For instance, I know a McKenna, Kaitlyn, Jayden, Aiden, and Hunter. And I really like most of those names!
#9 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Such a funny list to make! I knew DS's name would not there, but I found it particularly interesting as a teacher. I've encountered many of the "pop" names, with multiples in some classes. How many Cody's can there possibly be? (At least 3 in one class, btw). I've also had a student "Destiny" - and the name did fit her. I've also had two Hunters in the past two years, and they are really different from each other, but both all about "pushing the limits." Brayden - yep. Kaitlyn - yep. Mackenzie - yep.

I've been told that being a teacher makes naming your own kids really difficult. Especially if you have a name you love, but then along comes a student who trashes the name for you. Or a student that is so great, you don't want to use the name for fear of setting yourself up to expect kid will be just like them (subconsciously, of course).

Such a weird business, this naming of children!

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#10 of 100 Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Heh. I considered Hunter (a family name) and Tristan for this baby. Have no issues with Michael, either (well, other than an obnoxious boy I used to know... but that's not the name's fault!).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#11 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 AM

I hhhhhhaaaaaatttteee the name Aiden. Not really the same itself...but the over-use of it. I have never seen a named used MORE than Aiden. Lots of different spellings of it too...and it just gets really really confusing when everyone has the same kids name. I don't care for Jayden, Caden, etc either because it's pretty much the same name with a different beginning sound and they are also overused.

My own family has really overused Michael as well as Joseph.

I also don't care of Destiny, Chastity, Crystal, etc....I associate those with strippers or very trashy women (but that's from personal experience, I realize).

Neither of my kid's names have made any lists for popularity OR dislike: Dani and Oscar.
branditopolis likes this.
#12 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was surprised about Michael and Tristan being on the list. I mean, OK, maybe not someone's cup of tea, but most hated? Seems odd . . .

I did have to agree with a lot of other names, though. (with no disrespect meant to those on this board who have used those names). There are just so many " . .. den" names around + "fake" last names masquerading as first names, that it's tiring. I also really dislike made up spellings. Don't try to be unique with spelling your kid's name! It just makes life harder for your child!
#13 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 AM

I don't hate any of those names in themselves, but I agree that most of them are overused or have negative connotations.

I can't work out what's wrong with Tristan. headscratch.gif As far as I can tell it's not massively overused, spelled weirdly or considered trashy. Does anyone else get it?

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#14 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 AM

Not on the list, but when I was pregnant with my first, DH and I decided it was our business, and ours only, what we would name him or her. So when relatives asked what baby names we had planned, to avoid opinions, I always said "Aldolf Vigfus, unless it is a boy."

And then I emailed a list like that one, with awful names, to my immediate family, saying these were our choices. Evil, I know. mischievous.gif Everyone got my sense of humor, except my sister, who was very upset by the mail and called me crying....

I highly recommend it, it stopped everyone from asking. And then they were so grateful when we named our son; though they probably would have been grateful with almost any name. No one even asked when I was pregnant the second time around. 

#15 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 AM

I have on on the list.   Jackson.  aka Jack.    He was named after my grandfather and greatgrand father and great great grandmother (maiden name).   Hated or not we would have stilled used it.  I can think of many more unsuitable names that on than on that list.

OH well.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#16 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM

I think it's worth pointing out that many on those list are also the most popular and therefore most loved names. winky.gif

marimara likes this.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#17 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 AM

Neither of mine are on that list, but there a few there that I considered. 

#18 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Yep, one. Kaden, though we spell it Kadin. Oh well. I still don't regret it. 

#19 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 AM

I have a Jackson. It's a family name for us.

Huh, wouldn't have thought it could be one of the most hated!

I think of it as traditional not trendy.....strange.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#20 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 AM

I've never understood "Nevaeh".  One, I think it's kind of trashy.  Two, spelling a word backwards kind of implies that it's the opposite, and why would you want to name your child the opposite of Heaven?

emilysometimes likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#21 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Our 3rd childs name isn't on the list (Evelyn), but almost everyone we meet has no problem telling us it's a strange choice.

Now that she's here, most of the comments have stopped, but when I was pregnant it was bad.

Honestly, I dont' get how someone can be that rude!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#22 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Kayla View Post

Our 3rd childs name isn't on the list (Evelyn), but almost everyone we meet has no problem telling us it's a strange choice.

Now that she's here, most of the comments have stopped, but when I was pregnant it was bad.

Honestly, I dont' get how someone can be that rude!

I have an Evelyn too.  :)  We didn't tell anyone our choice before she was born, except for the grandparents, and IIRC, they didn't really have anything negative to say about it, but they weren't gushing over it either.  We do get a lot of "That's a name you don't hear very often" but it definitely is becoming more popular (which I'm not thrilled about, but I understand, obviously!).  I think it's a lovely, classic name and we call her Evie, pronounced Eevie.

I don't get the rudeness either.  Both grandmothers said they didn't like our son's name while I was pregnant with him.  That was pretty harsh, but it didn't change our decision, and I still love his name and think it suits him perfectly!

ElizabethE likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#23 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 AM

One gal in my family named her kids Jayden, Brayden and Cayden.  Her cousin named her son Dayden.  It annoys me.  It's too difficult at a family get together to address the child you need to speak to, because they all answer whenever they here the last part of their name. 

ElizabethE likes this.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#24 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 AM

I have a Michael. I can see how people would think its boring, it is honestly not my favorite whatsoever. My oldest two kids named him. They started talking about their brother Michael before I even knew I was pregnant. DD was 2 at the time and she would always ask for "My Michael" and it stuck. I really love how it came to be love.gif

We don't tell people what we are naming the baby or even what we are thinking about because it seems like people take it as a request to tell you every possible negative thing they can think of about the name! I really really hate when people ask me what we are naming our kids. I don't want to lie and say I don't know, but I also hate saying "we aren't telling" because it makes me think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJRzBpFjJS8

#25 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM

My sons name is on the list. So is my husbands.

Considering it was the #1 baby name for four years ...I cant imagine why its so hated. Overuse maybe?

ElizabethE likes this.
#26 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

I've never understood "Nevaeh".  One, I think it's kind of trashy.  Two, spelling a word backwards kind of implies that it's the opposite, and why would you want to name your child the opposite of Heaven?

I agree, it is awful.
And the Mac thing for little girls drives me nutty. Mac means "son of".
The rhyming Ayden thing is way overdone too.
I agree with the list!
#27 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Yeah, we had so many -den's in school that it made my head spin dizzy.gif I mean...could parents really not get a clue, when 50 other kids in the class had a -den/din/dan with wierd variations in spelling? The Mac- and Madison thing for girls also really bugged me because it was just trendy, and the names themselves aren't that lyrical sounding or nice. Every second girl I met was Madison/Mikayla (+variations) - it now seems so dated, like the Tiffany's and the Jennifer's and the Heather's of the 80's. May I also add Cody to the list? Calling a grown man Cody (this was a big 80s/90s name as well) just doesn't seem right...but I'm anal about names and do the Senator/News Anchor test...'Senator Cody X' just....no.

FWIW I like Neveah because it's almost unheard of where I live, so it's refreshing not to hear the above ^

#28 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 AM

I agree with everything on that list except Gertrude and Bertha. Yes, they're not very attractive names. But the thing is, those are not names currently being used. They are considered ugly and old (the way Hazel and Mabel once were) and I don't know anyone who ever even considered them. Braden and Mackenzie, on the other hand, are unfortunately very much still with us.
ElizabethE likes this.
#29 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Im not going to critize a parents naming of thier child however like the PP I did the 'name test' as well.  DR XZY, ATTY XZY, MR XYZ,  I even looked at how the initials would seems tailored onto shirt sleeves etc.  My sons name can have 3 different names come out of it, the formal name, the short name and the playful name (I guess).  kinda like, michael, mike and mikey.  So when he grows up and get a career he can totally choose how he wants to be called.  He also has a long middle name that can again be formal or short and he could use that as well.

But sometimes those wierd wonky names are the ones that catch the job recruiters attention, the name that sticks with someone, etc.

If I have another child and that child is a girl, I will be picking a solid traditional name. (sadly I think my baby days are over unless mr right comes along in a hurry)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#30 of 100 Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM

I like some of those names.   (I like McKenna... I'd even pick that if I had to pick a name)  

"Bently", and "Bertha" I had to agree on those.

Some names are overdone, or sound too much alike.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page