Do you find yourself accidentally correcting adults? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Frivolous thread alert. Another thread made me think of this. Among me and my close girl friends we sometimes forget ourselves and correct each others' manners, like prompting each other to say please. We always think it's hysterical when we realise what we've done. I was going for walk the other day and there was two woman (mother and daughter?) and three kids. The younger woman said to the older 'just a minute, mama's busy'. ROFL. 

Does anyone else ever do this? Please share. I could do with a laugh today. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 PM

My Dh spilled his drink at lunch today. I found myself wiping it up telling him it's ok we don't need to get upset I can get you a new one. Yeah he's 39 I am pretty sure he wasn't going to cry and is totally capable of getting a new drink. I was stuck in mom mode.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#3 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 04:45 PM

When cutting up dd's meat and veggies on her plate when small, I seem to remember also trying to cut up DH's too...blushes

#4 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

On a childfree hike years ago, two mama  friends simultaneously pointed up at a passing aircraft and said to each other in perky voices, "Look, an airplane!"

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#5 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM

#6 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM

LOL!! I have done that too! After years of having them be my son's favorite thing, I've pointed out construction vehicles to adults more than once. What a riot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoon View Post

On a childfree hike years ago, two mama  friends simultaneously pointed up at a passing aircraft and said to each other in perky voices, "Look, an airplane!"

#7 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

lol.gif Yep. I always feel like it's "such a waste" if I happen to be out without DD and come across a cow or a horsie or a doggie...

I'm sure we've all done the "swaying back and forth to comfort a bag of potatoes" thing in the supermarket too, right?

I don't think I've accidentally corrected adults since I had DD, but I've certainly done a fair bit of "Not in front of The Child"-type correction to a few of our more obscene friends. DD absorbs language like a sponge, so! Nobody seems to mind...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 20 Old 05-15-2011, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

You mean I shouldn't refer to every person I meet as 'dear' or 'honey'.   Hummmm  this is quite the newsflash to me.  After 10 years it's going to be difficult for me to change the way I address others.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 20 Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM

I don't think I have but I do think I apply some of the patience I've learned dealing with dd to adults.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#10 of 20 Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I'm sure we've all done the "swaying back and forth to comfort a bag of potatoes" thing in the supermarket too, right?

nod.gif Yup, probably every time I'm in the supermarket.

#11 of 20 Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No, but I have excused myself more than once to "go potty" while in a faculty meeting.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#12 of 20 Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

How about the "narrating exactly what you're doing and why out loud as you return a grocery cart to the corral without any children" thing?  Or is that just me? 2whistle.gif

#13 of 20 Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

How about the "narrating exactly what you're doing and why out loud as you return a grocery cart to the corral without any children" thing?  Or is that just me? 2whistle.gif

That's the one I was going to say. I've also done it on entire shopping trips where she was left at home.

My big correcting problem is correcting other people's kids because, even though they don't look/sound like her, they're doing/saying something she would. "Please leave the chicken alone...I'm so sorry, I thought I was talking to my dd."

#14 of 20 Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM

I passed a young colleague on the way to the coffee room/pantry the other day and I said:  "Hey bundle."  I was mortified but he laughed it off.  He assumes I'm whacky but I'm still not over that one!

Edited to say that this wasn't really a correcting adults situation, but more of a mindless expression that I say to DD often.  DD is always on my brain, so it spills over!

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#15 of 20 Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Didn't know which one to quote because they're all making me laugh!!  Swaying with inanimate objects!  Narrating shopping trips!

I was at the tailor the other day and said "thanks, honey" to her as she gave me my receipt.  I was embarrassed, not sure if she noticed, but I'm glad others do it too.

#16 of 20 Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

I passed a young colleague on the way to the coffee room/pantry the other day and I said:  "Hey bundle."  I was mortified but he laughed it off.  He assumes I'm whacky but I'm still not over that one!

Sorry, cracking up here!!!  Because it's so something I could do. 

#17 of 20 Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I overheard my Tai Chi teacher saying she could always tell who the moms are in her class. They're the ones who can't stand still.lol.gif

Sarah: momma to 3 
#18 of 20 Old 05-17-2011, 02:14 PM

I invited one of my single friends and her new hipster boyfriend over for a dinner party last year while DD was potty training. After dinner my friend's boyfriend excused himself to go to the bathroom and I loudly announced to DD that "David needs to go pee pee in the potty like a big boy!".

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#19 of 20 Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM

my dh is always bouncing around/squeezing his legs closed when he has to go to the bathroom. like a toddler, he just doesnt want to stop doing what he is doing to go to the bathroom. 

i always blurt out "go potty!" and pat his butt lightly before realizing where i am, which is usually some place public. ::blush:: 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#20 of 20 Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 PM

My DH was telling me how he was walking somebody through some computer process at work--the other person had the mouse and keyboard and DH was standing next to him to explain.

DH said, as the guy was clicking through menus and whatnot, "One...Two...Three...Four! See, you DID IT!"

Only when the coworker gave him an odd look did he realize that he was talking to him as if he were a toddler, and he apologized. lol.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page