Can babies really have hummus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have heard of babies eating this. My dd is 12 months and nurses every 2-3 hours around the clock but her solid food consists of sometimes avocado, baby squash and sweet potato, sometimes pureed fruit, mashed beans and cheerios! She wont eat anything else. I bought hummus today and it seemed too flavorful or something, I dont know just not right for a baby. I did give her a tiny bit on a few cheerios and she ate it, but I dont know if I should give her more. Could all that spice be bad for her? I bought the original kind btw. 

#2 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM

Of course? Why not? My second DD's first food was homemade guacamole with japepenos and all! Aside from a few allergen foods (which studies are now showing that not waiting might actually decrease the allergy), I fed my kids whatever I was eating from the time they started solids. I just cut it up really small or mashed it and let them have it.
#3 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Hummus is fine, spices are fine.   My DD ate whatever I was eating at that age, so lots of flavorful food.  She never shied away from flavor and is still a super eater.  If the baby doesn't like the flavor they will not go back for more.

#4 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I was worried about all the flavor and garlic. My dh thinks babies should have totally bland food so he made me second guess it. He made risotto and said she shouldnt eat it because it had too much flavor. 

#5 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Spices are really good for babies actually -- both in terms of health & also in developing a broad palate of flavors they enjoy. Hummus is my DS's absolute favorite food, he eats it in large quantities. If you are not comfortable with the spices, you can make your own really easily, but my DS has been eating everything from garlic & ginger to spicy chili, tabasco sauce, curries, etc. I guess some babies & toddlers might prefer bland flavors but if your DD is willingly eating it, it's fine. smile.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As long as she's not allergic to any of the ingredients there's nothing wrong with feeding your little one anything you might eat.  At age 2 my dd loved spicy tuna rolls!  

#7 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM
ssh

It's not too much flavor that's a problem for babies but too much salt or caffeine. Salsa was one a of my DDs favorite foods at that age along with hummus. you can always make your own if your concerned about what's in it. Goggle the recipe, there are a lot of variations.

#8 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 02:59 PM

It's funny, this sort of topic reminds me of my friend.  She had babies before me and just fed them whatever she was eating from when they began solids.  One day she was at the mother and baby group in the park and eating spicy garlic dhal and her little baby boy was tucking in.  Another mother announced loudly that she would never feed HER baby curry because she would never wilfully cause a baby stomach pain like that, and my friend cupped her hand round her ear and said "can you hear India crying?"  LOL!

Anyway, i'm another who just fed them whatever i was eating, and they both love a wide variety of foods.  We try to avoid salt, HEAVY sugar use and caffiene.  Other than that they just eat whatever we're having.  DD1 still LOVES hummus.

#9 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Sure, why not?  Babies certainly don't have to eat bland things - many LO's like spices and all sorts of flavors.  Better to expose them now than as a picky toddler/preschooler. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 PM

My kids have always liked very strongly flavored things, right from the beginning.  Both of them especially love kalamata and other very strong tasting olives, and feta and blue cheeses, too.  My older ds was always fine with spicey stuff (though I don't eat super-hot, myself, so he was only getting moderately spicey stuff) until he got older and learned that he should be putting up a fight.  lol  

Also, it was such a revelation with my second when I realized he didn't need anything pureed.  Right from his first bites, he just ate what we were all having, cut into small pieces.  I kind of wish I had done that with my first.  It just makes more sense somehow, and seemed right to me.  Though ymmv, of course.  ;)

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#11 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Yup, hummus is good.  DS is 13 m.o. and we have done humus for a couple months.  Not that he eats MUCH of it...he still doesn't eat a whole lot of anything except BF.  When his molar finally broke through, he ate almost no solids for a good couple weeks.  Homemade hummus is easy and cheap and healthy...you can add olive oil to fatten it up if your LO is slender, too.  And BTW--DS also nurses every 2-3 hours around the clock and sometimes much more often during the day.  You are not alone!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#12 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Hummus is great!  The first food my DD really ate was Chicken Tikka Masala.  She also loves bleu cheese, salsa, hot wings, and lots of garlic.  I don't buy the "babies have to eat bland food" bit at all.  Baby will let you know what he prefers!

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#13 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM

I just love the people in the "babies can only have bland food" camp-especially when they make the switch to "regular" food, and suddenly find their child will not eat.  While I do watch the sodium content of his food, my LO eats whatever I eat, minus honey. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#14 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post

Hummus is great!  The first food my DD really ate was Chicken Tikka Masala.  She also loves bleu cheese, salsa, hot wings, and lots of garlic.  I don't buy the "babies have to eat bland food" bit at all.  Baby will let you know what he prefers!

Our son loves Indian food. He had a vegetarian Korma today, over rice. I figure that it's what babies in India are eating, so whatever. He was big on it! He also likes blue cheese. 

#15 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 PM

Spices and flavors come through to breastmilk.   A breastfed infant is *used* to food having flavor!    

Some of my kids first solid foods were hummus, tapenade, curried chickpeas, garlicky sweet potato salad -- all great stuff.   They hated bland food when I did them plain mashed veggies.   

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#16 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 PM

This is funny - my husband said the same thing at first! "That has too much flavor for a baby". I don't know where he got that idea, but I convinced him she could try spicier foods, and she loved them!  Now at 2, she'll eat just about anything (she LOVES hummus! And falafel). 

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#17 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM

I have another kid who has always just eaten whatever we're eating, starting at 6 months. He doesn't like super-spicy-hot-pepper things, but he likes lots of strong flavors. He looooves hummus, especially when home-made. It's so easy to make too.

You just combine in a food processor (or even just mash with a fork) a can or two of chickpeas, some lemon juice, fresh crushed garlic, tahini, and sea salt. I don't measure--you can experiment with the ratios.

Mmmm, I think I will make some soon!
#18 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM

It's normal for toddlers to eat limited foods, but you can keep on offering anything you eat yourself, she might decide to try it as she sees you enjoying it. E.g. my dd decided that broccoli with guacamole would be awesome because I was chowing down on it the other day.

One thing I am noticing, everything that she'll eat is pretty easy to chew or doesn't even need chewing. That could indicate something that could be changed and then she'd like more foods. Of course, it doesn't explain why not hummus.

#19 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I always gave my dd food cut up small enough for her to eat because she only wanted to feed herself.  She never had a problem with food with flavors.  Under the USDA program for childcare centers once kids are over one they are transitioned to eating the same foods the older children eat with very few exceptions so I don't think there is any safety or medical reason to withhold flavor from food.

#20 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM

I have three kids---one very picky, one average, and one super-eat-anything-not-nailed-down kid.  The picky one counts hummus as one of his favorites.  It's a great way to get protein into a limited eater.

#21 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM

My DS (19 mos) wont eat his eggs unless they have sriracha in them. He actually is less likely to eat bland foods than spicy ones. There is no reason at all to feed a kid bland food.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#22 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 06:56 PM

A well-meaning friend gave my 6 month old hummus to amuse her while I was in the bathroom of the Lebanese restaurant.  She didn't realize that my dd hadn't yet had any solid food.  She was so apologetic and felt terrible!  My dd loved every bite!  She chowed down and it quickly became a staple.  She is now 3 and it is still her favorite form of protein.  We aren't prone to food allergies in our family, so I am of the opinion that if the baby enjoys it, it is probably fine!

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#23 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Just repeating what everyone else said. DS1 used to scoop garlic cloves off the cutting board and eat them raw, when he was only about 14-15 months old. And, dd2 will eat almost anything we put in front of her, and loves all kinds of flavours, including some fairly hot ones. Actually, the only one of my kids who's averse to spicy/hot foods is dd1...and even in her case, it's more a reflection of her general pickiness, as she does like one or two quite spicy foods.

Hummus? No biggie at all. I think it's a great food for kids. I need to start making it again.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#24 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Up until my youngest, we did the bland, pureed baby food route to introducing solids. With my last, we stuck to table food after we were unable to find single flavored baby foods. She is my best eater so far and I think one of the main reason so many people have trouble with children eating these days, is because children aren't given "real" food until they're much older. I sincerely regret listening to the "bland baby food" camp.
KempsMama likes this.
#25 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM

Of course, but you may want to make homemade so yo can control salt, since some of the store brands have a lot of it. One of my babies first foods was spinach curry and farmer's cheese. Don;t hold back flavor, you could turn her into a bland-food loving mac and cheese and chicken nuggets til she's fifteen kind of kid! Lol, mostly my opinion, but especially at twelve months I would not be holding back flavor from her except extreme spiciness, although my LO at 18 months enjoys mildly spicy things, and I always keep some milk nearby if it gets too much. Feel free to open up the food world to her :)

#26 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM

My son is a grazer. He will literally eat a bite, run around, come back and grab another bite, run around, etc. When I get out the hummus, he stops and eats until it's gone. I started making it because we would go through an entire store-bought container in one sitting!

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#27 of 44 Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

curious why are you still doing pureed foods?

dd started solids at 9 months and never ate anything pureed. in fact i think she absolutely does not like that consistency and any foods with that consistency even today at 8.

she loves hummus and even as a toddler the trader joe's tomato hummus has been her favourite.

i will say though i went easy on the spices in the begining as we started solid foods. but since she loved raw onions i didnt hold the flavour back. 

however i did sometimes offer her simple bland foods - like a good baked potato with nothing on it, or some fresh home grown tomato or plain boiled lentil soup. or just plain rice.

she still loves hummus and is an odd child in her group.

today her favorite sandwich is nice fresh bread smeared with hummus and some swiss cheese with it with sliced tomato and some glazed red onion. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#28 of 44 Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

It's funny, this sort of topic reminds me of my friend.  She had babies before me and just fed them whatever she was eating from when they began solids.  One day she was at the mother and baby group in the park and eating spicy garlic dhal and her little baby boy was tucking in.  Another mother announced loudly that she would never feed HER baby curry because she would never wilfully cause a baby stomach pain like that, and my friend cupped her hand round her ear and said "can you hear India crying?"  LOL!

Anyway, i'm another who just fed them whatever i was eating, and they both love a wide variety of foods.  We try to avoid salt, HEAVY sugar use and caffiene.  Other than that they just eat whatever we're having.  DD1 still LOVES hummus.

My dh is from the Middle East and I had some reactions similar to your friend.  For us, first it was that we didn't introduce solids until dd truly showed interest, which was close to a year old, then we didn't do any purees, then I was breastfeeding too long, then, of course, we were feeding her the same ethnic food we ate, which was too spicy, wasn't "appropriate" for babies and would give her all sorts of intestinal problems.  Lots of comments, especially from my 85 year old aunt.  I made almost the same comment as you friend... "Gosh, all those poor Turkish babies that are starving because they don't have access to the foods we feed babies here in America."

Those same family members were here for my mom's birthday a while back.  They were commenting about how when dd was the age of their little one (my aunt's great-grandson), she would eat anything and still does.  They were wondering why their LO wouldn't eat anything but chicken mcnuggets, jello, french fries, and goldfish crackers.  I gently reminded them that dd has always eaten what we ate and we didn't limit foods or spices... and that at 9yo, she still hasn't been introduced to McDonald's (we just don't eat it) or soda pop (his favorite drink) but gets to eat Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Tex-mex and other ethnic foods every week.  I think maybe the light bulb came on for them.

#29 of 44 Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Banned

well if they can't don't tell my DD who has loved hummus since before she was a year old...She takes a celery stick and instead of eating the celery will just repeatedly dip it in the hummus to get more and more...Loves that stuff, I personally can't stand even the smell of it but she likes it so I buy it. I used to have to make it for work and thats where I started hating it...I will start making it for her again, so simple.

#30 of 44 Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 AM

Absolutely! My little guys love it! All three of my guys have loved really flavourful, spicy foods, especially at about a year old. That seems to be, for us, a great window of time to introduce all the foods we love from around the world. Of course, because they were all breastfed well into toddlerhood, they were used to those tastes that way, too.

I think that when they get to a more picky age, you're better off if they have a huge established repertoire of tastes so that you don't end up with a picky eater who will only eat chicken nuggets and pizza (even my most picky eater will chow down sushi).

My littlest was only 10 months last Autumn when we took him to France to visit Grandpa. Favourite new foods? Pate foie gras, sauteed duck gizzards and Roquefort cheese. Yum! And because all of the chestnut and walnut trees were in season, we started nuts a little early. No history of allergies in our family, so common sense won over the 'party line'.

If your baby is loving hummus, let her explore more!

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page