Welfare Moms - Should we be supporting moms so they can stay at home with their children? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#301 of 792 Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
 
bmcneal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: in my own little world
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

I had jobs I did not like but they paid the bills  and medical insurance and I stuck with them. Yes, I feel good about doing that, and being a role model for my kids and not taking money for taxpayers that can be sued for someone who has not  job available. So, I stand my my words. I support welfare when it is a necessity but not when it is lifestyle choice.

 

If you are responding to my post about quitting an otherwise good job, it wasn't because I didn't *like* the job. It was because I was being harassed on a daily basis by someone, and Human Resources wouldn't do anything about it but blame me. I was getting threatened, and from what I knew of the person, and from what others told me about the person, he was very likely to act on his threats. It was affecting my health. It wasn't because I didn't like it, I *loved* the job. I planned on going back to the job after the baby was born. But when I was being threatened on a daily basis, with a *very* high risk that it would become an action, and no longer a threat, to me, my fiance, and my children, it wasn't worth it. I guess were we all dead, it would have been okay, because I would have been paying my way all along, and then murdered, and not needed assistance, but I chose not to take that path. Was I wrong? I don't think so. But maybe I was. If I was, I'm sure Karma, the universe, God, or whatever higher power is in charge will make sure that it "gets the job done" or whatever, in some other way, and I hope and pray it would not be with me worrying every day I'm going to wake up to someone having broken into my house and murdered us. Just sayin'.


sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

bmcneal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#302 of 792 Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
 
pek64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

If you are responding to my post about quitting an otherwise good job, it wasn't because I didn't *like* the job. It was because I was being harassed on a daily basis by someone, and Human Resources wouldn't do anything about it but blame me. I was getting threatened, and from what I knew of the person, and from what others told me about the person, he was very likely to act on his threats. It was affecting my health. It wasn't because I didn't like it, I *loved* the job. I planned on going back to the job after the baby was born. But when I was being threatened on a daily basis, with a *very* high risk that it would become an action, and no longer a threat, to me, my fiance, and my children, it wasn't worth it. I guess were we all dead, it would have been okay, because I would have been paying my way all along, and then murdered, and not needed assistance, but I chose not to take that path. Was I wrong? I don't think so. But maybe I was. If I was, I'm sure Karma, the universe, God, or whatever higher power is in charge will make sure that it "gets the job done" or whatever, in some other way, and I hope and pray it would not be with me worrying every day I'm going to wake up to someone having broken into my house and murdered us. Just sayin'.

I hope you're in a better place, emotionally, now. I remember your story from another thread.
pek64 is offline  
#303 of 792 Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM
 
pek64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Each person has a different story, and we shouldn't judge each other.

Would I stay in a job that was adversely affecting my health? No.
Would I work where I didn't feel safe? No.
Would I stay in a marriage where I felt I or my children were in danger? No.

Welfare is needed so people have the ability to protect themselves.

Still, I do make choices that someone else might not make. My choices are based on my priorities, which are unique to me. It's too easy to take a cursory look at a situation and jump to conclusions.

Should we support welfare? I think we should. I also think there should be some changes to the system. I know people who take advantage of the system and others who need assistance and don't qualify unless they quit working. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to legislate a perfect system. So I guess we have to work with the one we've got.
pek64 is offline  
#304 of 792 Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
 
littlest birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: a dream-filled fixer-upper
Posts: 2,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I stand by not judging people too.  Who defines the difference between a "necessity" and a "lifestyle choice" ?  I don't really care to hear the differences because judging this is really mean and people always think they can judge the poor and people on welfare.  You lose your privacy and the assumption that you have the right to choose when you get public assistance--at least in the eyes of many.

 

Welfare is not generous enough for it to matter one bit to me why another person is making the compromises they've chosen because if your employment choices are keeping you that poor those choices were not made lightly or for "non-necessity" reasons.  Or at least I would not assume that they were.  I would assume they were choices made with care and mostly none of my business.

 

I do not believe my tax dollars give me the right to invade others business in ways I otherwise would not think I had any right to do.


ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)
 
 

littlest birds is offline  
#305 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM
 
mammal_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Urban Midwestern USA
Posts: 6,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Well said, littlest birds!


Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
mammal_mama is offline  
#306 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

I do judge people because we are all being judged.

 

I personally have a real problem with mothers on assistance and feel there should be major changes.

 

I don't feel they deserve to be with their children any more than a mother who is not getting assistance- all children should be equal and both should be able to be with their mothers. Until all are equal I will continue to have this issue. Until this country pays all mothers I feel none should be receive assistance to be with their children. I did not qualify for any assistance and got nothing (and this was prior to when you could and they did fire you for not returning to work right away) to help because at the time I made a little less than $50.00 a week over the max for assistance. There still are many mothers that get no paid time off, no help at all with WIC or anything and must return quickly to work so that others do not- I see it as unequal.


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#307 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

how is that unequal. they had a cutoff. if you made less than that then you get support. 

 

so because you didnt get support, others shouldnt?!!! is that your reasoning?


 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is offline  
#308 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:

how is that unequal. they had a cutoff. if you made less than that then you get support. 

 

so because you didnt get support, others shouldnt?!!! is that your reasoning?

children are not worth the same nor are the mothers

 

you are no more deserving to be with your child vs another mother are you? Other countries do not value a mother based on poverty-they let all be paid for the worth of the child, not here

 

we don't do it when children are born we don't do it as they age

 

right now my child is not equal to another's - in my state we don't even value education they same  - we don't allot X dollars for each child we pick and choose=unequal  


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#309 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
 
contactmaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Should mothers be supported by welfare  to escape dire poverty? Or should mothers be supported so they can be with their children because that is in the best interests of the child? Two different questions.

 

Most  industrialized countries in the world place the working childless adult individual at the center and  the economy and political system revolve around them. Children are not at the center. Some countries do a better job than others and finding a balance between conflicting interests  (dare i mention Sweden), in the US, the welfare system actively separates mother and child. (or primary caregiver and child).   

contactmaya is offline  
#310 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is absolutely crazy.

In the U.S., moms on welfare do NOT get assistance to stay home with their kids. They get assistance because they don't have enough income to make ends meet.

Do you know how expensive it can be to be a working parent?!

In my state, daycare for ONE kid is over $800/month. Someone working a full-time minimum-wage job makes about $1300/month. Once you deduct taxes, childcare, transportation, uniforms, and other work-related costs, there is virtually nothing left. If she has 2+ kids, she'd be spending more on childcare than she makes in a month.

Add in the fact that (at least where I live) you cannot buy private health insurance if you are eligible for employer-sponsored insurance, and the issues magnify. Employee-sponsored insurance for a family costs an employee up to $800 a month, plus copays/coinsurance/deductibles. This is not possible if you are only making $10/hr. You'd be in the negative and unable to survive. Quitting that job would save childcare costs, make this person eligible for medicaid, cut out transportation & other work-related expenses... and they'd still be living in poverty, still barely able to make ends meet, but at least they'd have a fighting chance.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#311 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

sadly there are those who are staying home- I know of one! because when you do the math - 

 

Quote:
In my state, daycare for ONE kid is over $800/month. Someone working a full-time minimum-wage job makes about $1300/month. Once you deduct taxes, childcare, transportation, uniforms, and other work-related costs, there is virtually nothing left. If she has 2+ kids, she'd be spending more on childcare than she makes in a month.

Add in the fact that (at least where I live) you cannot buy private health insurance if you are eligible for employer-sponsored insurance, and the issues magnify. Employee-sponsored insurance for a family costs an employee up to $800 a month, plus copays/coinsurance/deductibles. This is not possible if you are only making $10/hr. You'd be in the negative and unable to survive. Quitting that job would save childcare costs, make this person eligible for medicaid, cut out transportation & other work-related expenses... and they'd still be living in poverty, still barely able to make ends meet, but at least they'd have a fighting chance.

they find it better to not work and have to pay

 

actually $800.00 in my area is very cheap- if you could even find it

 

I know for our income if we had more kids we would qualify for things- depends on family size around here.


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#312 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
 
kitteh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

sadly there are those who are staying home- I know of one! because when you do the math - 

 

they find it better to not work and have to pay

 

actually $800.00 in my area is very cheap- if you could even find it

 

I know for our income if we had more kids we would qualify for things- depends on family size around here.

 

It's not just that they find it to be better or preferable to not work, the sad reality is that some parents find that they absolutely cannot SURVIVE while working a minimum-wage (or even slightly above that) job.

 

This thread is really interesting, and one that hits home for me. My first child was a surprise and at first I thought it was such bad timing that I actually considered abortion because I wasn't sure we could afford her. How terrible and tragic is that? Looking back now I can't believe I ever entertained the idea, but that was my reality.

 

My husband is a Chilean immigrant and had just arrived in the US when I unexpectedly became pregnant (immediately!) He was not legally authorized to work, and I was just finishing up my last semester at UCLA and was working lunch shifts as a waitress. We were sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with an alcoholic relative of mine (certainly did not plan to bring a child into THAT living situation--we'd only intended to live there for a year until DH could find a job.) The first few months of my prenatal care were covered by my university insurance, but after I graduated (with $25k in student loans and another 25k in credit card debt!!) I was dropped from that insurance plan. Luckily the nurse-midwives over at UCLA accept Medi-Cal and urged me to apply. Since we were only living on my income, which was definitely less than 30k/year, I qualified for pregnancy-related Medi-Cal and WIC.

 

DH got a job through my workplace, but he was making minimum wage and wasn't given full-time hours. With no work history in the US that was the best he could get. I continued to waitress through my entire pregnancy. After the baby was born DH was able to find a much better job making $10/hr with a full-time schedule and I went back to waitressing. We knew we had to find our own place, but also knew that we would probably not be able to afford anything near our jobs, and we didn't own a car. Then one day I was fired out of the blue and went on unemployment. Around that time my DH heard about a non-profit organization in our area that offered affordable housing to moderate- and low-income people, so we applied.

 

I found a part-time job at an elementary school, but I only make $14/hour and I get less than 20 hours a week. I still receive partial unemployment, but won't for much longer as my claim runs out in March. It certainly isn't an ideal situation, but It works for us because I am able to be at home with my DD for most of the day. DH has also received a promotion and a small raise at his job. We still get WIC and still live in the subsidized housing. We both got insurance from DH's job, but DD is on Healthy Families. Earlier this year we decided to have another baby, and I am currently 18.5 weeks along. This one was totally planned, and we knew that doing so would mean continuing WIC. Sometimes I feel guilty for planning a pregnancy when we live in subsidized housing, but the truth is that this is a temporary lifestyle choice that we have made in order to parent/raise our children OURSELVES. Before we ever got married we talked about wanting two children, so the thought of just having one because of our current financial situation is not something we are willing to do. I do not see us staying in this tax-bracket forever, and I know that if we chose not to have another because of money, I would undoubtedly regret that decision down the road.

 

The way I see it, I want to have my kids close in age so that I can continue to work part-time while they are little. We make sacrifices so that is possible. We have no car. I cut DD and Dh's hair (and my own, sometimes!) We live in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment and plan to stay here until we are absolutely bursting at the seams. We don't take vacations (unless family members invite/pay for us to come visit.) We maintain a very tight budget and live frugally. Even so, we have managed to entirely pay off the credit card debt and a lot of the student loans, and now have thousands in savings.  Once both of our kids are in school, I plan to increase my hours and eventually start teaching full-time, and when that happens our financial situation will change significantly and I'm sure we will no longer qualify for WIC or the affordable housing that we currently have.


Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

 

Expecting #2 in late June!

kitteh is offline  
#313 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
 
kitteh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also--as others in this thread have said--I don't think that parents should HAVE to accept this sort of welfare to stay home with their kids. I think that we need to re-think our maternity and paternity leave laws and adopt legislation that allows for a year of paid leave for each parent. At the very least, mothers should get 6 months to be at home with baby without having to worry that they will be replaced in the workforce.


Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

 

Expecting #2 in late June!

kitteh is offline  
#314 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

sadly there are those who are staying home- I know of one! because when you do the math - 

they find it better to not work and have to pay

That's exactly my point though! People work to make money. What person in their right mind will pay money to work?!?!?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#315 of 792 Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
At the very least, mothers should get 6 months to be at home with baby without having to worry that they will be replaced in the workforce.

 

 

I don't see us (US) moving towards this and time soon!

 

In my state we can't even fund education equally- it would save a ton of money if we did and there is NO desire to even do this.

 

Until mothers are treated equally, children will not be.


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#316 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 AM
 
mammal_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Urban Midwestern USA
Posts: 6,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I do judge people because we are all being judged.

 

I personally have a real problem with mothers on assistance and feel there should be major changes.

 

I don't feel they deserve to be with their children any more than a mother who is not getting assistance- all children should be equal and both should be able to be with their mothers. Until all are equal I will continue to have this issue. Until this country pays all mothers I feel none should be receive assistance to be with their children. I did not qualify for any assistance and got nothing (and this was prior to when you could and they did fire you for not returning to work right away) to help because at the time I made a little less than $50.00 a week over the max for assistance. There still are many mothers that get no paid time off, no help at all with WIC or anything and must return quickly to work so that others do not- I see it as unequal.

 

serenbat, while I see your point that our government should be more supportive of policies that enable ALL parents to spend more time with their children, it seems really unfair for you to direct your judgment towards those families that need help and are availing themselves of whatever help is available. Struggling parents can't really be expected to say, "Well, until the system is perfectly fair for everyone, I won't get any help for my kids and me!"

 

I can also understand that the people who are most resentful of families like mine -- where one parent is bringing in an income but they still qualify for and receive assistance with food and medical care -- tend to be the people in a slightly higher income bracket that just barely disqualifies them from getting as much help as families like mine are getting. If I made a little more money, I'd have to start paying a copay for my girls' Medicaid and I'm sure we'd get less food stamps, too. A while back, I had an increase in income that basically cut our food stamp payment in half. The increase in income wasn't enough to totally make up for the cut in food stamps, so it's been tough.

 

But this doesn't mean I should become resentful of families in even more dire circumstances than ours -- such as those headed by single mothers with little education who have to work minimum wage jobs. Those mothers need and should get a lot more help than my family is getting.

 

In response to the other poster who talked about her children getting a good example by seeing her work so hard. I agree that she is a good example to her children -- but I want to point out that families that get some assistance are also working very hard and taking pride in a job well done. Everything we do to help ourselves, our families, and our communities is worthwhile work that we and our kids should take pride in. Getting assistance doesn't prevent any parent from being a good example to her or his children.


Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
mammal_mama is offline  
#317 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
I can also understand that the people who are most resentful of families like mine -- where one parent is bringing in an income but they still qualify for and receive assistance with food and medical care -- tend to be the people in a slightly higher income bracket that just barely disqualifies them from getting as much help as families like mine are getting. If I made a little more money, I'd have to start paying a copay for my girls' Medicaid and I'm sure we'd get less food stamps, too. A while back, I had an increase in income that basically cut our food stamp payment in half. The increase in income wasn't enough to totally make up for the cut in food stamps, so it's been tough.

you don't come off as grateful to the families that are struggling to pay so that you don't

 

I have to pay a co-pay, and deductible and YES it comes out of our food too. I get ONE well visit a year- every sick I pay plus the cost of meds- we need to eat too and pay taxes.....this seems to get forgotten by most.


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#318 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
 
pek64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the US you should be able to get free insurance through CHIP. I don't know if there are co-pays, though. And it leaves parents uninsured, which is stupid.

I agree there are problems, but that doesn't mean we should be against all welfare. My family didn't qualify when my husband was working only part time, and struggled. We are still struggling. But until you've been in someone else's situation, you can't judge fairly.
pek64 is offline  
#319 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
 If I made a little more money, I'd have to start paying a copay for my girls' Medicaid and I'm sure we'd get less food stamps, too.
In response to the other poster who talked about her children getting a good example by seeing her work so hard. I agree that she is a good example to her children -- but I want to point out that families that get some assistance are also working very hard and taking pride in a job well done. Everything we do to help ourselves, our families, and our communities is worthwhile work that we and our kids should take pride in. Getting assistance doesn't prevent any parent from being a good example to her or his children.

and in your case - do you teach that is it good not to do that extra work so you can get more food stamps and that's if OK to do this and it's just fine that others pay for it?

 

and I should be understanding that I have to cut back and you don't do the extra because it cost you and some how it free for me!

 

I feel the way I do when I read things like this.

 

You don't walk in my shoes.

 

 

ETA - there are lots that struggle so that other's don't- I know a family with 3 kid (that $75.00 just to walk into the Dr- upfront) not to mention the med cost and the weekly deduction from the paycheck------it does add up

One_Girl likes this.

 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#320 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The average tax payer pays 10 cents a day for the existence of the whole food stamp program.
NorthernFamily likes this.
mamazee is offline  
#321 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
 
mammal_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Urban Midwestern USA
Posts: 6,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

serenbat, I am grateful for my very existence and the very air that I breathe, and for all the diverse and beautiful people and other life forms that I am so blessed to share this planet with! We should all be grateful!

 

I'm sorry that my attempt to show empathy for struggling families who make just a little more than me, and are therefore cut off from some helpful resources, has somehow offended you and given you the impression that I'm sitting here calculating just how many hours of availability for work I can schedule and still keep all my benefits at their current levels, because I can assure you I'm not. I make myself as available as I can be while still meeting the needs of myself and my family.

 

I take pride in doing a terrific job, and I love my work, and I was thrilled lately when I learned that I got an .85c raise starting in January. I don't know if it will affect our benefits like my previous increase did, but I wouldn't want to undo it even if it did. I'm much more interested in improving my skills and my earning capacity than I am in hanging onto benefits that I think are likely to vanish, anyhow, if our economy goes completely over the cliff as it may. I don't know what will even happen with my job in that case -- I'm just saying I love learning and doing everything I can to be in the very best possible position to meet the needs of my family and give my best to society, too.

 

As I've already said, I was just trying to express empathy to all those who are struggling but making just a tad too much to get any help. No offense or impression of being ungrateful was ever intended.


Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
mammal_mama is offline  
#322 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
The average tax payer pays 10 cents a day for the existence of the whole food stamp program.

sounds so nice by itself but doesn't come close to the reality of ALL the other things the average tax payer pays for, that's not just 10 cents


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#323 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
 
captain optimism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Good Ship Lollipop
Posts: 6,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

sounds so nice by itself but doesn't come close to the reality of ALL the other things the average tax payer pays for, that's not just 10 cents

What would you like to pay for with your taxes?  What do you think the country with the highest GDP in the world should do about food insecurity? 

 

Are you not satisfied that our life expectancies are dropping and our infant mortality rate is behind every other industrialized country? Do you also need to punish poor people by preventing them from having a way to pay for food? 

 

What do you think taxes are FOR? Should they only go for things that benefit you, personally and directly? 

seaheroine likes this.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
captain optimism is online now  
#324 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
 
kitteh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How are all of the other things that tax payers pay for relevant in a discussion specifically about mothers/families on welfare (ie foodstamps)?

journeymom likes this.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

 

Expecting #2 in late June!

kitteh is offline  
#325 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM
 
mamaofthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

serenbat: you sound very upset and resentful. i am always taken aback by people who are so angry at others who ask for and receive help when they need it. i am not sure it is a great awesome thing to struggle needlessly just to prove you are a good enough person. i happily pay taxes and would LOVE for ever single cent we paid in taxes to be sent to families who are struggling. i would much rather pay for that then a war. or pay for that then paying for a huge tax loop hole for a big arse company. 

we seem to have this issue with people who we perceive as "lazy". poor people, overweight people come popping into my mind right off. we have no issue with shaming them, making fun of them, dissing them, taking nasty about them. i think it is a complete shame.

littlest birds likes this.

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

mamaofthree is offline  
#326 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
 
iowaorganic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to jump in a little late- but Captain Optimism- our taxes are SUPPOSED to go to what we can't do for ourselves- defense.  That is the vision of the Founding Fathers.  Charity is supposed to be helping your neighbor willingly- not the government forcefully taking what you have earned and giving it to someone who hasn't earned it.  


Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

iowaorganic is offline  
#327 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
 
Alenushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The main word "Can't" IF one can work and make enougth money to pay rent, day care, food and healthcare, then why should I support one? 

Alenushka is offline  
#328 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

first, not everyone is JUST on food stamps and not getting other assistance

 

 

 

Quote:

What would you like to pay for with your taxes?  What do you think the country with the highest GDP in the world should do about food insecurity? 

 

Are you not satisfied that our life expectancies are dropping and our infant mortality rate is behind every other industrialized country? Do you also need to punish poor people by preventing them from having a way to pay for food? 

 

What do you think taxes are FOR? Should they only go for things that benefit you, personally and directly? 

for SHORT, very short need and for real means testing and not for those who might have to (gasp) pay for a copay for Medicaid -

 

If I choose not opt into the company medical I can not qualify in my state for ANY medical assistance, it's not allowed, the only way we would get food stamps is not have income- we have no fall back when we pay hundreds each month to be in a medical plan, plus a deductible and copay and prescription and have to find a way to pay for food  

 

other people are paying and when you read someone stating how if they worked more they might loose a benefit, knowing how hard other do have it and get NOTHING in the way of assistance you tend to not feel sorry for that person- I certainly don't

 

taxes are for paying for SHORT term help, not years of assistance at the expense of deficit to others, clearly there seems to be less to give out and many IRL also demanding a stop to this- my state just added more restrictions 

One_Girl likes this.

 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#329 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:

serenbat, I am grateful for my very existence and the very air that I breathe, and for all the diverse and beautiful people and other life forms that I am so blessed to share this planet with! We should all be grateful!

 

I'm sorry that my attempt to show empathy for struggling families who make just a little more than me, and are therefore cut off from some helpful resources, has somehow offended you and given you the impression that I'm sitting here calculating just how many hours of availability for work I can schedule and still keep all my benefits at their current levels, because I can assure you I'm not. I make myself as available as I can be while still meeting the needs of myself and my family.

 

I take pride in doing a terrific job, and I love my work, and I was thrilled lately when I learned that I got an .85c raise starting in January. I don't know if it will affect our benefits like my previous increase did, but I wouldn't want to undo it even if it did. I'm much more interested in improving my skills and my earning capacity than I am in hanging onto benefits that I think are likely to vanish, anyhow, if our economy goes completely over the cliff as it may. I don't know what will even happen with my job in that case -- I'm just saying I love learning and doing everything I can to be in the very best possible position to meet the needs of my family and give my best to society, too.

 

As I've already said, I was just trying to express empathy to all those who are struggling but making just a tad too much to get any help. No offense or impression of being ungrateful was ever intended.

I also do not see that you are grateful that others pay for you- I just don't see it.

Other pays so you can get assistance and maybe one day you will join them and look back at your PP and see how it makes you feel.


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#330 of 792 Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

I am going to jump in a little late- but Captain Optimism- our taxes are SUPPOSED to go to what we can't do for ourselves- defense.  That is the vision of the Founding Fathers.  Charity is supposed to be helping your neighbor willingly- not the government forcefully taking what you have earned and giving it to someone who hasn't earned it.  

Well, the founding fathers didn't believe in a standing military at all, and they were perfectly OK with slavery and people starving if it came to that. Our country's views about what it is in our best interest to pay for, and what is acceptable to allow, have changed a great deal since then.
journeymom likes this.
mamazee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off