what do you so with the lo's when it's to hot to play outside?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
dauphinette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: lalaland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's already to hot outside to spend all day outside like we were this spring so now I feel at a loss of how to entertain my little fair-skinned dd all day.

 

She is very energetic, 3 yo and we both have fair skin but I am leary of using sunscreen day in and day out.

 

It's about 100 degrees here everyday now and the hottest sunniest part of the day lasts about 6-7 hours....

 

Please help with any ideas or inspirations?

 

Thanks!

dauphinette is offline  
#2 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
 
leighi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indialantic, FL
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a shade tent thing I put up with a wading pool under it to swim in.  Or our big pool is in the shade a lot.  Or there is a public pool with a shaded kids pool.  There are also parks with a shaded kids area (kinda hot for that, we go early in the morning or in the evening).   

 

Indoor play room, museum, paint-your-own pottery place, zoo that has indoor area, etc. 

 

In the house - paint.do art projects, read books, build forts with the couch pillows, have a 'camp out' or picnic in the living room, treasure hunt, sensory trays, put on music and dance around, cook something, take a cool bath and pretend its swimming, go through old toys to donate, make an challenge course. 

 

 

ETA:  Ds is allergic to most sunscreen and the kind we have that he can wear is awful thick goo that makes him look like a creepy ghost.   I put him in long sleeve/long pant sun suit thing, a big hat, sunglasses, and then we can play at the beach/pool.  

leighi123 is offline  
#3 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 PM
 
nextcommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a shade tent, and water tables right now.  But, I live in the desert, and it gets so hot that we don't go outside during the day at all.    We wait til the street and sidewalk cool down a lot, and all the neighbor kids play outside in the street together.  

 

Some of the neighbor kids go to the park very early in the morning before the slides have a chance to heat up.. but, by 7:30 a.m, even those are too hot to play on.

 

Mostly, we just wait and hope for a cloudy day... and until then, we stay inside.

nextcommercial is offline  
#4 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 PM
rcr
 
rcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,720
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we just play in the heat.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

rcr is offline  
#5 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
 
SundayCrepes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We are lucky to have an extra bedroom. My SIL made our kids foam blocks (about 6 x 12 x 4) covered in assorted fabrics. We have TONS of them. We also have some old futons, couch cushions, and assorted foam. We also have an old desk that is as sturdy as a boat and really deep (no way kids could tip it.) There is a layer of futons on the floor then the foam blocks and assorted foam objects. The kids spend hours in there jumping off the desk, playing under the desk, building with the blocks. Oh, and they're allowed to throw balls in there. Only soft toys allowed. Nothing hard. We call it "The Wild Room" and it is a favorite whenever friends visit.

 

We also go to the children's museum and public pools a lot. Plus parks and rec art class and library story time.


Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

SundayCrepes is offline  
#6 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing, I struggle with the same thing... and DS might be able to handle the heat but I sure can't these days.

We have DS on a shifted schedule (he wakes around 10am and goes to bed after 11pm) so that helps a lot... around 4pm the sunburn risk goes down here & the heat is more tolerable... and that's only halfway through his day so we can enjoy being outside in the late afternoon/evening (though then the bugs come out... poor kid is already covered in bites! greensad.gif)

We found a few shady playgrounds... have to drive further to get to them but we pack a lunch and spend a big chunk of the day there to make it 'worth the drive'... also love the children's museum. I think last year we tended to do a lot of playdates at people's houses (and stay mostly inside). Sometimes hiking works if it's not too humid, because at least the trees provide shade... Library... walk around stores I have no intention of buying anything from... Wow what DID I do last year??!?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#7 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM
 
sosurreal09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I LOVE the heat but DD is not having it this summer. She is outside for like 15 mins and wants in! It's only 75-85 degrees here...guess it's time to buy that A/C I swore I'd never own...

 

I go hiking a lot but DD will just hang in the wrap and I try to let her down to go explore and she just wants back up (20 m/o and 24lbs!) so IDK it totally stinks too b/c we do NOT have a yard this year! (moved to an apartment and there is just a gravel parking lot)


 Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

sosurreal09 is offline  
#8 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The heat bothers me more than the kids. The older one runs off and plays regardless of the heat. She has a water bottle I fill and have her keep in her bike basket so she stays hydrated, and we neighborhood parents all give water out to each other's kids.

The younger one still needs me out with her. We go out for a while in the morning before it gets too hot, and a while later in the day. Not all day though like the older one. She still naps though and likes to "help" me clean and that kind of thing.

It probably doesn't get as hot in southern Ill. as in NoLA though.
mamazee is offline  
#9 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:16 PM
 
NYCVeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On my couch
Posts: 5,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there local parks that have a decent amount of shade? The closet parks to us have no shade at all, but in the summer we drive a little farther to one that is almost completely shaded. We also try to play outside first thing in the morning or after dinner--it might still be pretty hot, but the sun is less strong. Our local mall also has an indoor playspace where the little ones can run off some energy. Although we don't frequent them too much, I know a lot of people who use indoor playspaces--toddler gyms (where you can often sign up for classes), indoor trampoline and bounce house plays, indoor mini golf, etc. 

NYCVeg is offline  
#10 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 PM
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

probably the wrong person to answer as there is rarely a day that it is "too cold" or "too hot" to be outside. Even on 100+ degree days we get outside to play. Those days usually include some kind of water fun- squirt guns, sprinklers, water tables. etc. Plus lots and lots of fruit popsicles and water to stay hydrated. For the sun- long sleeve tees and long pants are a natural SPF but we choose to stay in shady parts of the lawn and parks. Vitamin d is a good thing! Other days might include a trip to the library or the mall for free A/C. We don't let the weather get in the way of fun!

poetlizabeth likes this.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#11 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 05:48 PM
 
Pavlovs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in the desert so it gets prohibitively hot for about 3 months.  Along with the great ideas already mentioned, we pay for an indoor playground.  I think I paid $60 for both of my kids last summer, and they loved it.  Best of all it is very comfortable for adults to sit and enjoy coffee with friends while keeping a close eye on our kids.  The one where I live is called Child's Play...not sure if it is a franchise.


Jordana, mama to almost 8 year old Evan, 3 year old Atticus, and 1 year old Tabitha - my gifts from heaven

Pavlovs is offline  
#12 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The pool at the Y, the beach, museums, indoor play places, Chuck E. Cheese, the library, the mall, playdates at friends' houses...I hate being stuck at home more than the kids do, but I am fortunate to live in a very family-friendly city.  The summer is challenging though because of all the tourists - I hate crowds almost as much as I hate being at home all week, so I like to get creative with our outings and do different things all the time.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#13 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM
 
SubliminalDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Outside of Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We get up early and head outside before it's too insanely hot. Try to wear them out that way. Then we sometimes swim later on. 

SubliminalDarkness is offline  
#14 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
dauphinette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: lalaland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

probably the wrong person to answer as there is rarely a day that it is "too cold" or "too hot" to be outside. Even on 100+ degree days we get outside to play. Those days usually include some kind of water fun- squirt guns, sprinklers, water tables. etc. Plus lots and lots of fruit popsicles and water to stay hydrated. For the sun- long sleeve tees and long pants are a natural SPF but we choose to stay in shady parts of the lawn and parks. Vitamin d is a good thing! Other days might include a trip to the library or the mall for free A/C. We don't let the weather get in the way of fun!

I'm all for vitamin D,but not for frequent sunburns which is how we would end up if I just ignored the sun.  I can do long sleeve light weight shirts (and almost always do if I am going to be in the sun) but not both long sleeves and pants in 100 degree ultra humid New Orleans, lol.  And while I can handle the weather very well and will adapt and make due with whatever my dd is not like that at all.

 

 

dauphinette is offline  
#15 of 30 Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
dauphinette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: lalaland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lots of good ideas for out of the house activities but I guess after reading this thread I must have meant(and not known I meant, lol) was more indoor activities aroud the house.  I have a pretty good idea of child friendly things we can do around town and there are a few super shady parks that are perfectly lovely even in the heat.  Its more keeping amused around the house when we can't be outside that I cant seem to figure out.

We do some cleaning together which she likes, we do baths and read books and then that's about two hours of the day....!

 

 

dauphinette is offline  
#16 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 AM
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinette View Post
I'm all for vitamin D,but not for frequent sunburns which is how we would end up if I just ignored the sun.  I can do long sleeve light weight shirts (and almost always do if I am going to be in the sun) but not both long sleeves and pants in 100 degree ultra humid New Orleans, lol.  And while I can handle the weather very well and will adapt and make due with whatever my dd is not like that at all.

Who said anything about sunburn and/or ignoring the sun?  shrug.gif I said we protect our skin and/or stay in shady areas. I guess I am of the mind set that you gotta make due with where you live.  We have bitter bitter cold days and ultra hot and humid ones.  It doesn't get in the way of our fun or our everyday lives.

 

If your daughter can't handle the heat then I would find lots of indoor fun as many of us mentioned-the library, the mall, play places, the movies, local Y/pool for out of the house.  

 

For in the home you can make forts, cook, put on plays/puppet shows, play hide and seek, play board games, watch movies, read, color, paint.  

 

There are TONS of craft sites on the web-you could make flower pots, make pinch pots out clay, make weaving boards out of old cardboard, make your own silly putty or playdo to name a few.

 

You could start an indoor garden, start a family band by making instruments out of glass jars, pots and pans, hairbrushes for microphones.  

 

You can listen to books on tape, dance to the radio.

 

You could reorganize your cupboards (my son loved that!). Clean out your closet and play dress up at the same time.

 

Try packing up some of the toys and start rotating them so the old seems new again. Do the same with books.
 

 


Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#17 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM
 
NiteNicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I hear ya, OP, I'm on the north shore and it's HOT up here, too.  I think people who don't live here or in similar hot climates don't really understand that a few 100 degree days are manageable, three to four months of them are a whole other thing.  At some point, it's not safe to be out in that heat.  A few years ago we made a little day trip in July and we realized at some point, no one had been to the bathroom in HOURS even though we were draining water bottles like crazy.  That's just not safe.

 

My daughter loves:

 

play doh

water color - I have a big thing of washable paints, several different brushes, and a few clear cups for the water.  I put a beach towel (or three) down on the table and chair and let her go.  She likes mixing colors in the water as much as she likes painting. Cheap paper plates make good painting surfaces.

also gluing anything to anything else is a huge it

and tape - she loves plain ol' tape, a three pack is a few days of entertainment

 

I always keep craft pom poms, elmer's glue, googly eyes, some sequins/buttons type things, pipe cleaners, paper plates, and yarn.  She can usually think of something to do with them by herself. 

 

There's also this thing where you mix equal parts water and corn starch - use a big container so she has plenty of room.  It looks like a liquid and will flow through your fingers but feels like a sold if you slap it or poke at it in the container.  Just mix it till you get a consistency she likes to play with. 

 

We also have a kid's yoga DVD (the one we have is really cheesy, I'm sure there are better ones out there).  She doesn't always do the whole thing but she likes to watch it and will do most of it.  She asks for it often.

 

That's all I can think of right off.  I hope some of that helps.

NiteNicole is offline  
#18 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM
 
earthworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Like the previous poster, we have yoga DVDs (ok, we just keep checking them out from the library) and the cornstarch + water thing is a huge hit!

If you have a room where you can safely play with water, I sometimes set out bowls or old pots and pans with soapy water in them and we wash different toys.

We play with uncooked rice. Sometimes I will bury small toys and they will find them.

And since it's hot, you can make "recycled crayons" by melting broken pieces of old crayons in a muffin tin with liners.

You could also check to see if your library has books with different toddler or preschool activity ideas. That's where we get a lot of the things we do.

I wish I could think of more things, but I am sick and having trouble thinking!

 

ETA: I like this site for simple, cheap ideas: Magical Childhood


oh noo
earthworm is offline  
#19 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 PM
 
zebra15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 4,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Its hot here too (AZ) and as soon as the monsoon gets here the humidity will come so 115 and humid isn't fun.  Stuck inside and hot isn't fun.  We tend to go out for activities if at all possible, the library is a huge hit, the pool etc.  even a walk around the grocery store breaks up the day.  Maybe even look for a kids class during the day to break things up.

My son is 10 and can NOT take the heat.


Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

zebra15 is online now  
#20 of 30 Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
 
NiteNicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

June 1st, 103F here.  Ouch. 

 

A Magical Childhood is awesome, thanks for the link!  We're making our own water colors today!

NiteNicole is offline  
#21 of 30 Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
dauphinette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: lalaland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



I totally agree on the idea that some parts of country just don't understand how hot it really gets down here and for how long and it IS a saftey issue.

Thanks for the great ideas for indoor play I will start an at home craft closet, I think.  I don't know why I haven't already, laziness I guess.  Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

I hear ya, OP, I'm on the north shore and it's HOT up here, too.  I think people who don't live here or in similar hot climates don't really understand that a few 100 degree days are manageable, three to four months of them are a whole other thing.  At some point, it's not safe to be out in that heat.  A few years ago we made a little day trip in July and we realized at some point, no one had been to the bathroom in HOURS even though we were draining water bottles like crazy.  That's just not safe.

 

My daughter loves:

 

play doh

water color - I have a big thing of washable paints, several different brushes, and a few clear cups for the water.  I put a beach towel (or three) down on the table and chair and let her go.  She likes mixing colors in the water as much as she likes painting. Cheap paper plates make good painting surfaces.

also gluing anything to anything else is a huge it

and tape - she loves plain ol' tape, a three pack is a few days of entertainment

 

I always keep craft pom poms, elmer's glue, googly eyes, some sequins/buttons type things, pipe cleaners, paper plates, and yarn.  She can usually think of something to do with them by herself. 

 

There's also this thing where you mix equal parts water and corn starch - use a big container so she has plenty of room.  It looks like a liquid and will flow through your fingers but feels like a sold if you slap it or poke at it in the container.  Just mix it till you get a consistency she likes to play with. 

 

We also have a kid's yoga DVD (the one we have is really cheesy, I'm sure there are better ones out there).  She doesn't always do the whole thing but she likes to watch it and will do most of it.  She asks for it often.

 

That's all I can think of right off.  I hope some of that helps.



 

dauphinette is offline  
#22 of 30 Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
dauphinette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: lalaland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

great idea on the library books for preschoolers activities ideas, thanks, I will be on that :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm View Post

Like the previous poster, we have yoga DVDs (ok, we just keep checking them out from the library) and the cornstarch + water thing is a huge hit!

If you have a room where you can safely play with water, I sometimes set out bowls or old pots and pans with soapy water in them and we wash different toys.

We play with uncooked rice. Sometimes I will bury small toys and they will find them.

And since it's hot, you can make "recycled crayons" by melting broken pieces of old crayons in a muffin tin with liners.

You could also check to see if your library has books with different toddler or preschool activity ideas. That's where we get a lot of the things we do.

I wish I could think of more things, but I am sick and having trouble thinking!

 

ETA: I like this site for simple, cheap ideas: Magical Childhood



 

dauphinette is offline  
#23 of 30 Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
 
peaceful_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #12 Grimmauld Place
Posts: 4,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

swimming.  Lots and lots and lots of swimming.  And did I mention that we like to go swimming?  :)  we have a couple pools here that have a big sand pit with water faucets too, my kids LOVE those and of course the sand's not hot like the park sandboxes.

 

for sunscreen---I have yet to try this out in the water, but I've done 2 days now with coconut oil on myself--I'm really fair skinned, and I have not burned.


lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
peaceful_mama is offline  
#24 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 AM
 
Angelas001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I take my two boys to The Music Playhouse- they're in Nashville, Chicago and Indy. It's a weekly music class that I attend with them, I love it because it's mixed age so it's one class for both of my kids (currently 2 and 4yo, but they have newborns to 5yo). Besides the weekly class you get a cd of their GREAT music and are encouraged to listen and do the activities at home daily. My boys love it, we've collected a box of instruments similar to class and they have their own 'class' at home with me and daddy. Their favorite is to have a marching band through the house.

It's great, quality music, which is good because it WILL get stuck in your head.  It's not just fun- an early introduction to all types of music improves their musical abilities later in life too.

Angelas001 is offline  
#25 of 30 Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM
 
revolting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have no AC, so it's often too hot to be inside!


Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

revolting is offline  
#26 of 30 Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
dauphinette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: lalaland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

swimming.  Lots and lots and lots of swimming.  And did I mention that we like to go swimming?  :)  we have a couple pools here that have a big sand pit with water faucets too, my kids LOVE those and of course the sand's not hot like the park sandboxes.

 

for sunscreen---I have yet to try this out in the water, but I've done 2 days now with coconut oil on myself--I'm really fair skinned, and I have not burned.


I am actually thinking of joining some sort of swimming/athletic club for this purpose.

And on the coconut oil I will def. try it, so cool if that would be just another thing to add to the list of the magical uses of coconut oil, lol.
 

 

dauphinette is offline  
#27 of 30 Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM
 
eelownes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in Memphis, TN (Delta region) and it is hot hot hot here! Three days a week she is at the Natural Learning Center, but the other days are up to me. We spend a lot of time at the pool, but what if you don't have a pool available? Try cooling off at your local art museum or gallery? Or how about doing some interactive music lessons or theater? They incorporate the kids into their programing and they get exercise without being overheated. It is good for their little developing brains as well. Stay cool mama! 


Married to my love joy.gif One amazing, creative and beautiful daughter hearts.gif

 

blogging.jpg www.milliemeals.blogspot.com 

eelownes is offline  
#28 of 30 Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM
 
poetlizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bedford, Mass
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If your looking for some good art activities, you might want to invest in a book of activities. I have quite a few since I am a teacher, but also find them helpful when entertaining my five year old. I recommend anything by Mary Ann Khol.

 

http://www.brightring.com/

 

poetlizabeth is offline  
#29 of 30 Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM
 
Piratelady2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central TX
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is interesting...makes a person wonder what everyone did, long ago, when there was no air conditioning?  Especially those who lived in the south, super hot and humid climates?  We are pretty well trained to seek out A/C now.  DS (15 months) loves to be outside running around more than anything, and happily, has not cared one bit about the 100 degree heat right now.  I just make sure he is covered with sunscreen, hat, etc, and drinks a lot of water.  We play in the sprinkler, swim, or just spray each other with the hose while watering plants, and he never gets overheated. 

If possible, try running your errands during the hottest part of the day, or as previously suggested, save the indoor activities for that time. 


Rockstar, hippie, pirate mama to W (3-2-10), wifey to S for 2 years and going strong

selectivevax.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  treehugger.gif


http://piratelady2525.blogspot.com/
Piratelady2525 is offline  
#30 of 30 Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
 
dauphinette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: lalaland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

totally makes me wonder the same and if anyone has an idea please let me know.  I have been on the path of downsizing my LO's entertainment load, so to speak, ie. we have cut back screen time by 90%, have been trying to gear our days less around "how can i keep dd entertained" and more "what needs to get done for the home/family etc. and if dd wants to do something else on her own great, if not she can work with me.  But up until recently a lot of that time was spent in the garden.  Now it's kinda hot to spend the whole day in the unshaded garden patch and the plants dont need much tending at this point so I have been trying to figure out how to keep dd entertained without entertaining her, lol.  I want to be able to offer her ideas of things to do while I am homemaking. 

I did go get some activity books from the library as one mom said and that was a great idea. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratelady2525 View Post

This is interesting...makes a person wonder what everyone did, long ago, when there was no air conditioning?  Especially those who lived in the south, super hot and humid climates?  We are pretty well trained to seek out A/C now.  DS (15 months) loves to be outside running around more than anything, and happily, has not cared one bit about the 100 degree heat right now.  I just make sure he is covered with sunscreen, hat, etc, and drinks a lot of water.  We play in the sprinkler, swim, or just spray each other with the hose while watering plants, and he never gets overheated. 

If possible, try running your errands during the hottest part of the day, or as previously suggested, save the indoor activities for that time. 



 

dauphinette is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off